I told my wife that when our 4 year old son turns 16, I expect him to pay rent

I told my wife that when our 4 year old son turns 16, I expect him to pay rent.

You can get a job at 16. What do you need the money for? Exactly.

I won't charge an insane about. Maybe just $50 a month. That will go up by $20 until he is 18. After that, if he wishes to stay around, I'll expect $350 a month. That was what I was paying for a shitty apartment when I was 18. I'll give him a family discount.

My wife flipped the fuck out.She's all for letting our son live rent free until he's 30 for all I know. Nope. If you can work, you will work.

What do you think, pol? Am I right or was my wife correct?

Don't charge him money wait till he's 19 or 20

Do you know the average age for people getting their first job is now 22?

You are right but put aside the money he pays you (don't tell him you are doing this) then when he goes to put a down payment on his first home, give it back to him

Wrong. Economy is in the gutter.

You can't find a job a 16 now.

I mean you can but it's not easy.

Well, I expect him to be below the average, then. I got my job at 16 bagging groceries. Go do that.

actually you are A OK to charge rent the moment he turns 18
dont charge rent at 16 but make sure he pays for his own car insurance and gas

Depends, if your son proves to be smart and studious, i'd let him go full-time on his studies so he mayb gets a scholarship that'll amount to more than what'd he'd get saving with a min. wage job. Same if he's athletic. If your son is dumb as fuck tho or just average IQ (gotta be realistic about these things), then yeah, get him to work.

Most important, you don't allow him to become a lazy neet that amounts to nothing.

I think 16 is too early, but after he graduates high school I agree 100%.

You can't do that anymore

This is a great idea if you want your son to leave and never return, and resent you for the rest of his life. However, OP doesn't have a son or a wife and is just a sad lonely virgin shitposting on Sup Forums.

And that's all he will ever be.

You know how all the more affluent kids get ahead?

Their parents pay for everything so they can concentrate on being more skillful instead of getting Cs in college because they have to also work 30 hours a week flipping burgers.

My wife's son****

you cant work full time at 16 or too late in CA
source I was 16 in 08

You understand that your son will stop talking to you and most likely not invite you to anything that he would invite your wife.
Hes going to think you're a cunt. Don't expect him to visit you on your deathbed.

I took an online IQ test and came out at the top of the bellcurve. I'm not super smart, and my wife isn't either. I expect him to be just as retarded as us.

You're inverse cucking.

As that child is your own progeny, you want to give him every head start you can.
Not bleed money out of him lmao.

No wonder you guys get cucked so often, you cuck yourselves.. Literally.

>not letting your offspring work and save cash whole living at home

Shit like this is why America is turning to shit. Family units are supposed to support their own, not force them to pay for shit. Unless you play on putting all that rent money into a savings account for them you're nigger tier trash

i despise boomers more than anything, i really do

anything you charge him should go into a trust fund he gets access to when he gets married.

Your wife wants to spoil him, which means he will grow up to be a little shit.

And I knew teens who were my age who were given it all and still went to school for history and art.

they their parents were rich as fuck they would get them a good job after graduation.

It is trivially easy to get a 3.5 or above in college as long as you have elite study and time management skills

I had to pay rent when I was eighteen. I moved the fuck out when I was seventeen.

Wat

if your boy does not pull his own weight once he becomes a man he will be a NEET MMO addicted manchild

Money will go towards my account for feeding his ass all these years. Life sucks. He better learn it from be than from some drug dealer.

>Handful of grocery stores in town
>Hundreds of 16 year olds want dat money

Good Luck. It's already hard enough to find a place hiring 16 year olds, let alone being the lucky one who gets the job.

He should work at the local grocery store starting at 15, then pay monthly.

I didn't have to pay my parents rent until I was 18 (a legal adult) and I paid 280. I wasn't thrilled and my dad still apologizes for making me pay that much (it was a consequence for totally fucking my first semester of school up) but I grudgingly paid it for 3 years, till I moved out. Love my dad and glad I had the hardship.

wait til he's 18 and done with high school at least, if only so he doesn't just drop out

once he's 18 charging him will probably just incetivize him to move out, but a 16 year old dropout will never make it in life, trust i know four of em

That's fine, but don't expect him to be around when your down and out on hard times.

I worked at a 24 hour grocery store but I was limited to 20 hours a week and I could not work past 8PM in california

Agreed. Have a (you)

people don't get paid to bag groceries anymore
i mean have you even been to a market in the last couple of years? it's almost all automated

My policy is rent at 18, unless they're going to post-secondary, at which point they can stay free until they're 22. A part-time mcjob is only useful for financing their car/insurance/gas/ammo/miscellaneous expenses. Adding rent to that shit is counterproductive.

You do not (and will never) have a wife, and you are currently living with your parents.

My parents did that to me when I turned 17.

I didn't understand why they wanted me to do this. I was not happy about it but obviously I had to do it. Charged me $100 a month. When I got a good enough paying job when I turned 22, I moved out.

Turns out my parents had saved every dollar I gave them. Gave me around $6k in cold hard cash when I moved out. I was fucking blown away. Thank you based parents.

>hundreds of kids burn out at burger flipping and shelf stocking jobs since they are lazy fuck ups

stop being a jew, hes your own flesh and blood
its literally not possible for young people to make money anymore

The store I worked for hired downies to do the bags, as well as normies like me. I think he'll be fine.

I started to work at 16 as well. But i think anything could happen in 12 years so yeah

You're retarded. Any parent who charges their own children for rent should be thrown in prison.

you sound like a shitty enough dad that your son will probably want to move out as soon as he's able to. i wouldn't worry about him sticking around too long.

in b4 the boomer OP starts preaching delayed gratification

Tbh you should only do this if your son is a huge degenerate otherwise that's fucked up. Let him enjoy his youth, make sure he does well in school, and encourage some hobbies.

You're being such an autistic faggot

You're nothing like your father or your grandfather, stop imposing your internet era futile attempts to reclaim you masculinity on your child faggot and just be a good father. If he's working full time/loafing around charge him rent, otherwise if he's studying just have him help around the house, which he should do of his own volition.

I say you're making a horrible mistake. You should charge more than that.

My parents charged me $200 monthly when I turned 18. You should do that.

>Baby boomer jew tactics of leeching your own child for personal gain.

The correct thing to do would be to take that "rent" money and put it in a savings account for him. Then no matter what kick him out at 20 and give him the account to help him get on his feet and achieving financial independence.

You're talking about crippling his income so he can never get enough money to get out of your house.

My way teaches him to get used to paying regular bills but also teaches him the value of saving money and gives him a small sum to get started.

Nope. Got a wife. She's pretty average looking but hey, whatcha gonna do.

You just sound like a kike. Wait till he's at least 18 to charge rent.

Wow you're a shitty dad.

you should be prepping your son to have landed a scholarship to one of the finest private schools in the country. at age sixteen he should be in his second or third year there, with paying rent to live at home a nonissue.

arguing about a twelve-years-down-the-road shitty family situation has to be the dumbest thing i've read in a while, counting shillposts. just fucking kill yourself now if you and your spouse have actually had this conversation.

t.neetovich

I pass by dozens of places a day saying they are hiring if you kid can drive to work he can work anywhere

If he can't find a regular job will you be mad if he's sucking dick for rent money?

I'll consider but my wife is already pissed at my proposal.

/thread

by taking an online IQ test seriously, you failed the IQ test

I think it's a good idea but don't raise the amount over time. Keep it low. the idea isn't to put him in debt or for you to get money it's to give him incentive to work and also to prepare him for the real world. maybe you should keep the money in an account or something and he can get it back when he leaves or something. Or donate it or something like that. To take money from your son for rent is fucking stupid

Great way to piss off your kid and make him resent you faggot.

Demanding rent from your children just make you seem poor, weak, and petty.

nice try dad

As long as I don't know about it and the rent is in my hands on time.

You forget that he'll have to be in line behind all the women and minorities so the employer can meet their diversity quota

>tfw you're an upper middle-class family
>your mom is stay-home and mommy'd you for your entire life while your dad makes shitloads in finance
>grow up in affluent neighborhood with everything at your fingertips
>just study and do your extra-cirriculars
>get good grades
>parents pay for your college
>ayyyyyy

I love being this cozy. I could've been born in some filthy ghetto with a pleb-tier cunt of a single-mom. Then I'd be wage-cucked for the rest of my life when I move out.

You should never charge your child rent ever, if they're not self sufficient and on their own then YOU fucked up and should take responsibility to fix it

Depends on how influental tha family is, i started working at 14, not that it taught me jack all. I have friends who hardly worked and got a 90k a year job right after their masters . I got a 70k a year job a few months after my bachelors and cant find one as well paying now at 27 its a fucking crap shoot. Op wants to teach his kid a lesson but in the end its 60% luck.

>bring a kid into this world
>expect him to pay you back for a decision you made

Seriously? You're a shit father.

This is very clearly some retarded bait that you set up as a backdrop for your sockpuppet that is currently replying to this thread.

dude, don't be a dick. You're still the parent of a 16 year old and supporting them.

Tell him he has to work for his own car. Charging him rent at 16 is not just dickish, come to think of it, but harmful since he's got a life to live and he can't possibly work enough onw weekends to help support your lazy ass and be freaking 16.

And he won't be getting a job at 16. Illegals, immigrants and minorities take all the minimum wage jobs. There's nothing for him. Unless you do the dad thing and help him get a job by networking with your friends for a hookup.

Charge rent the moment he hits 18. But not one minute before.

(parent of 2, grandparent of 1)

>forcing a lifestyle onto other people
Fundamentalism is cancer.

Or instill a valuable teaching moment. If I can Jew him before the real Jews do, he'll learn.

Seriously, fuck off. Don't you remember your teenage years? They're hard enough without having an asshole father who wants to take your money every month.

I sincerely hope your wife and son die soon. Maybe then you'll learn to appreciate them, rather than seeing them as a source of extra income. You fucking kike.

>good goyim pay $600 a month at St Shekels academy dont just take all AP classes at a public school,

Unless all the public schools near you are nigger jungle cages dont go to private school

Man thats a dick move, as long as hes getting good grades has his education on track let him do what he wants(provided its not completely degenerate).

>not naming you kid a semi spic name like roberto so he gets dem programs

Why are Americans so stupid? You don't need the money, and it's not like you will be putting it in his college fund either. You're just a selfish cunt who wants to exert dominance over someone else. I'm 24 and in university right now for computer science. My parents aren't charging me a dime for rent, and the food is free.

i really suggest that you just dont have a kid because hes just gonna tun out shitty. Hes never gonna be able to leave home if you dont let him save up or stay in school long enough to get a good degree retard. Have fun having a 30 year old food bagger live in your basement

AM I BEING DETAINED?

>put money ahead of family
>get kid to move out, as that is what all of the successful rich people do(they don't)
Family units stayed together for millenia. That's what works best. You are a jew.

Sup kike

Well you're shit out of luck.Those jobs now belong to full time employed 20 year olds.

Only part time work a teenager can get now is employment from their parents.

Also expecting a child to be financially independent (or semi independent) at 16 is illegal, have to be 18. So unless you want a legal headache lay off of it.

My dad never asked for rent but I joined the Army at 17. I wasn't going to be that burden, and I don't expect my kid to. If he wants to join the military, by all means, I'll sign the papers.

REEEEE FUCKING MOM MAKING ME PAY FOR TENDIES REEEEEEE

Your whole idea is based on premises that were only true in the economy you grew up in. This doesn't represent the economy a 16 year old lives in now, let alone in 12 years. If my father maid me pay rent in my own home, I wouldn't particularly care to have a relationship with him.

more importantly, is pic related?

you should have graduated 3 years ago retard

I'd say charge your son rent and instead of being a jew and spending it, save it and give it all to him when he moves out.

Or just make it mandatory for him to work? Taking his money is pretty jewy tbqh

Women don't get opinions, they're women.

I'm 18 and pay my parents 400$ a month wanna be my new dad?

You're more or less in the right, I say stockpile it for him till he starts paying actual rent at 19-20 of like 3 bills, surprise him with something he needs money for like a trade tuition or like books, who knows, thus reinforcing the concept of saving, unbeknownst to him.

We named him Angus. Looking back, it was kind of a silly choice because I was thinking Scottish warrior. But now all my friends nicknamed him "Beef". He likes it. Makes him giggle.

>it's a Sup Forums gets triggered by the prospect of forcing someone out of being a NEET episode

You are charging your son for something he is legally required to do: live with you. This is like charging someone for breathing air or going to public school. What the fuck is wrong with you? Is this bait?

My dad started charging $300 the day I graduated high school (I was 18). I didn't have a job and he made me pay for each month I missed before I found a job.

Worked out well for me. Kicked me into the real world rather quickly and helped encourage me to work hard and move out.

No, he'll hate you for being a worthless jew. This is the kind of shit that makes your son kill you in your sleep. You'd better be able to raise him correctly before you start charging him for his own parents assistance.
FFS it's no wonder people don't value their families anymore. There's hardly any reason to.

Eat an atom bomb, nip. If you got a hold of my kid, you'd probably turn him into a DDR pillow fucker.

Start charging at 18.

That's what my parents did. It encouraged me to get a job, move out, and go to university. This was only about 2 years ago, so it's not unheard of in the modern world.

A lot of kids don't have jobs at 16, and while you can get a job at 16, it's actually pretty difficult in the current climate, but he should have a job by 18.