Can anyone really please explain to me why this movie is so revered as a cult film...

can anyone really please explain to me why this movie is so revered as a cult film? i mean i just watched and it was an ok movie, but deep down is just another DUDE WEED movie but in the 90's

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-big-lebowski-1998
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>can anyone really please explain to me why this movie is so revered as a cult film?
The fact you dont know why is the reason its a cult film. If everyone universally loved it then it wouldn't be cult film

Because it is a good stoner film. Nothing else.

literally this.

some normies just gotta horn in on every fucking territory. if you don't get it, you don't get it. do you ask people to explain comedy to you too?

I don't know where people get the idea it's a DUDE WEED movie at all. The Dude is the only pothead and he's a jobless loser bumbling through life who only solves the mystery through coincidence and other people giving him clues. He not a hero, he's just the man for his time and place. I don't know how anyone thinks it's a stoner movie because it does not make pot seem like a good thing.

It's the thinking mans DUDE WEED LMAO

If you can't appreciate its value then leave it as it is and don't dwell for "explanations" to why you "are forced" to enjoy a movie.
If you get it, then fine. If you don't get it, then it was not meant for you. Not everyone has to like it.

Maybe read this

rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-big-lebowski-1998

perfect film-making
it's basically flawless

say what you want about taste in comedy
but name a flaw in execution, direction, casting, etc

What the fuck is this trend of people having to investigate reasons to love something or not? Fucking get it or don't. Why do you have to pretend you get things for a deeper meaning? Who are you trying to impress? And furthermore, why do you need explanations to like something?

Bucemi could have gotten more time.

I and many others I've met who love the film dislike or outright hated the movie after watching it the first time. My best friend told me repeatedly it was the funniest movie ever, and when I first watched it I literally did not laugh once and fell asleep somewhere in the middle. Only after 2 or 3 viewings did it start to amuse me. Now I can't watch a minute of it without losing my shit.

>hello Sup Forums I just watched ______. iS it gud?

The Dude is a labyrinth neo noir mission through the L.A. underbelly...Or would be in any other film. In this one he's a stoner bumbling around a bunch of retarded social misfits solving absolutely nothing investigating a case that doesn't even exist.

That's the joke.

Same happened to me. First time I tried to watch it I was a teenager and got bored and stopped halfway through it. At my 20's I watched it again and it looked fucking masterpiece. Huh.

shut the fuck up donny

This. To me it was about someone who just drifts through life doing nothing who suddenly has to face life itself and has no clue on what to do and no control at all

Cassidy? Is that you?

Shut the fuck up donnie.

i agree

That's why it's considered a cut film and not a universally acclaimed cinematic masterpiece.

>but in the 90's

Most of Sup Forums posters were born in the 90s.

Who the hell was that strange cowboy supposed to be?

God?

This and Hitchcock's Rope are two of the few movies I would give a 10/10.

I wrote 8000 words about this movie. It's definitely not just Dude weed lmao inhibitor.

The narrator.

My religion comes from this movie and I really believe in that shit.
It's brilliant, it contains every facet of human life without an overarching narrative holding them together, just like life.

I think it's the perfect example of a movie that requires multiple viewings. Lots of people hate/ think it's boring the first time, but for whatever reason on the second watch it just clicks. Maybe the first time around people get confused by the plot and focus on it too much, when really you need to relax and kick back and just watch it, like the Dude.

Yeah it's so much better when you know the movie isn't really going anywhere and don't expect it to.

Good point. It has a nested narrative structure, and such structures often have a frame narrative (that of the narrator character) to tie it all together, like the rug. The rug is important to the Dude because like it, many people walk all over him.

>The rug is important to the Dude because like it, many people walk all over him

Dammit, this movie is pure kinography.

bump