Thoughts on Eurovision

I was hanging out on YouTube and then it recommended me a bunch videos of Eurovision, i didn't know that was a thing. I believe in the idea of uniting an entire continent with music, actually it sounds like a great idea... but in practice it's quite cringe. Until what i understood, all these people are supposed to represent their country but they sing generic songs in broken english, they all dress like Americans and don't know how to dance, what's the point then? Do they really represent your country? Also I didn't know that Australia was part of Europe, I always thought it was an island under China

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTI_Festival
youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU
youtube.com/watch?v=WySSLip5uzc
youtube.com/watch?v=-OnRxfhbHB4
eurovision.tv/page/history/by-year/contest?event=2113#Scoreboard
ivetamukuchyan.com/photos/gallery/1461235051_iveta-mukuchyan_gallery_03_01.jpg
1.bp.blogspot.com/-C47Enj2MjAw/VuKK4zmPxoI/AAAAAAAAIe0/TeqXFMGcQ20L_uzFyQ-34JyLYHxYf3FYA/s1600/Czech+Republic+-+ESC+2016+-+Gabriela+Gun%C4%8D%C3%ADkov%C3%A1+2.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eurovision was different things at different times.

> 1950s - 1960s
A way to unite Europe for one evening while TV was getting into every household.
> 1970s - 1990s
A way to promote each country's pop singers abroad.
> 2000s
A cringy show where countries competed for the most imaginative ways to embarrass themselves in front of the continent
> 2010s
A SJW shitshow that LGTBwhatevers use to boo Russia in front of a camera, because as everyone knows, Russia is inherently evil and the only homophobic country ever.

Fun fact: Brits got a zero when we won in 2003

>they all dress like Americans

Dunno what show you've been watching but they mostly just wear bizzare shit.

The main thing you need to know is that you can only win if you're from certain countries since everyone else needs to like you for you to win. Which is why we never win despite being the one who funds the whole thing (sound like any other expensive european project we were recently a part of?)

we had the OTI festival
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTI_Festival

Solid rundown

2000s were the most fun, although the political voting started getting out of control toward the end of it..

>2020s
???

eurovision is fucking retarded trash, i don't know why europeans love this shit

2006 was the last good Eurovosion.

>A bearded tranny wins, and all the world's shitholes, who didn't even participate, are arseblasted for some unknown reason, while the weirdo circus just carries on being more bonkers every year..
What's not to like? I think it's brilliant decadent memeing.

2009 wasn't bad, it featured lovely Sirusho, the Latvian pirates and our based troll Chiquilicuatre, and the 2010 final is still my fondest memory on Sup Forums, with Germany getting points from everyone except Israel, the Moldovan meme, groovy France with Allez Ola Olé etc.
2006 was GOAT though.

This thread belongs on

As a third party spectator I think Eurovision is awesome and I look forward to watching it with Sup Forums every single year. I like the sense of unity and community, the memes and shitposting, and some of the songs and performances are really good. It is also an informative insight into some of Europe's pop culture that I usually don't ever see. Eurovision threads are probably my favorite part of Sup Forums.

As do (You) :^)

>everyone else needs to like you for you to win
So there's no winners from Russia, right

Are you gonna watch it with us this year my bean friend? It starts in a month, you shouldn't miss out on the shitposting.

Thanks for my (You), binland

I used to care for this festival back when I was a kid/teen, but it reached a point where most countries were trying too hard to fetch those 12 (douze) points. The bloc voting among eastern cunts also contributed to my loss of interest, obviously.

I started rewatching it back in 2014 tho, because I saw the thread on Sup Forums or Sup Forums, can't remember.
The bantz made me enjoy this shitshow once again, despite the song quality still being awful in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU

The fact that nearly every country sings in English is pathetic.

this is the worst part of it IMO. you should have to sing in your countrys official language.

this is why i loved Italy's last year. beautiful youtube.com/watch?v=WySSLip5uzc

>this is why i loved Italy's last year.

I like Italy's entry for this year. I will vote for Italy.

youtube.com/watch?v=-OnRxfhbHB4

very nice

>tfw we were 2nd

Ah yes, I forgot about the anglo language issue.
Only spain, portugal, france and italy resist this tendency year after year.

Why are non-romance countries so insecure about their languages?

> Do they really represent your country?
No. The reason why most television companies send generic artists who don't represent their respective countries is that their own countries can't vote for themselves, so they try to appeal to the foreigners who can actually vote.

Spain sent a 1/4 spanish song
France sent a 1/2 french song
Only portugal and italy sent a fully native language

It makes no sense to me. I'm not familiar with what most of those languages sound like in song but I listen to some Icelandic and Swedish music and both languages sound beautiful musically.

>eurovision is meant to be a celebration of the diverse culture between european nations
>everyone sings in english.

i only started watching it a few years ago, has it always been this way? this needs to stop

France had a song that was half English/French last year abd Spain sang in English, it's over mate.

Actually they used to ban songs not sung in the native language for some time.

As it should be.

they should bring that back

I unironically think that up to a quarter of the songs are actually decent.

>Also I didn't know that Australia was part of Europe, I always thought it was an island under China
Mexican education, folks!

I meant that these countries usually sing in their language despite throwing in some english lyrics once or twice. We've done the same in the past. Last year, Italy's qt sang a part in english as well.
Most countries rarely use their language nowaday. It's 100% english year after year.

I like Sigur Ros and they sing in icelandic. They view their language as an essential part of the melody. I don't need to understand the lyrics to enjoy their songs.

I wish they would go back to you're only allowed to sing in your native language, the UK might actually have a chance at winning once again.

Ireland would just win again everytime haha. Like they used to.

The anti-russia shit was the reason why we came 2nd in 2016. Absolute bullshit.

They did have a good run in the 90s.

Eurovision threads are terrible on Sup Forums, they go way too fast so everyone just ends up spamming a meme about whatever country is currently singing.

Still think eurovision is the best though

From 2016 I liked:
Belgium
Bulgaria(for turning a female Sith Lord into Avatar)
Spain
France
Russia(Liked the on stage thing they did with the screens)
Austria (because I'm a Frenchboo)
Australia

I like the fast paced shitposting, it feels like a World Cup thread on Sup Forums. I can understand why someone wouldn't like it though.

>he doesn't know about the yearly shitfest that is Eurovision
It used to be quite interesting because western countries seriously competed and came up with actual good music. Then the Slavs joined and took it VERY seriously, they basically consider Eurovision some sort of popularity contest.
As a result countries only vote based on political motives. There's clusters of countries that always favour each other, with the hilarious situation of Germany always losing, and since there's hordes of eastern-European countries one of them almost always wins.

Few years later and the only countries that still takes Eurovision serious are Sweden, Russia and Ukraine. Russia basically exploded when Ukraine was awarded the win last year and has 'vowed for revenge'. Meanwhile on British television they make a complete mockery of the Eurovision by now to the point of the organization asking them to stop it.

It's noteworthy that Eurovision was inspired by Sanremo festival.

Most people like cause it's thrash

We won like two years ago, mate. Though the song was shitty. We won because we bought foreign radio stations playing our song in advance and sending a hot chick.

Germany finished last 10 times, with 3 times having 0(zero) points
In comparison: the Netherlands finished last only 5 times.

2010 actually.
The girl is crazy hot, but the song was annoying as hell.

Dang, I'm old.

BURGERED

World cup threads are also terrible

She looks like an angel but she has a very ugly personality. You just have to watch some of her interviews where she atttacks showmasters and her interviewers. She's a total bitch but not the whore, slag kind but the infantile, bratty child like. This is person got everything handed to her and is not nice to be around with.

I watched this song on youtube the other day and the like/dislike ratio was nearly equal, so I checked the comments and it was full of turks raging that they came in second place.

Searched a bit more and this applies to tons of eurovision winner videos, there's always heaps of salty comments whenever someone from a shithole comes in second place

great event. truly. watching that cringy crap on tv with a couple mates getting drunk and having a laugh. hope it never ends

still waiting for that punk lesbian vegan cat-horse with three dicks to take the stage. by the looks of how things have been developing, it will be anytime soon now

eurovision.tv/page/history/by-year/contest?event=2113#Scoreboard

Just look at last years results. So few countries voted for both Ukraine and Russia.
For example Georgia only voted for Ukraine (ovious reasons). Serbian backstabbing is extremely hilarious.

oh I remember, roaches sent a weeaboo band that sounded like early linkin park lel

Roaches are an annoying people on the internets. We sense their salt whenever a turk football club loses against a portuguese one.

Huge Eurovision fan here: Ask me anything.

post the hottest females from eurovision as well as any nudes from them please?

>"""""""eurovision"""""""
>fucking australia
>israel
>turkey
>armenia
>georgia

Try this one: ivetamukuchyan.com/photos/gallery/1461235051_iveta-mukuchyan_gallery_03_01.jpg

noice. more please

Αν δεν ξέρεις, να σkας!

1.bp.blogspot.com/-C47Enj2MjAw/VuKK4zmPxoI/AAAAAAAAIe0/TeqXFMGcQ20L_uzFyQ-34JyLYHxYf3FYA/s1600/Czech+Republic+-+ESC+2016+-+Gabriela+Gun%C4%8D%C3%ADkov%C3%A1+2.jpg

What does that even mean turk