>FAMU required viewing list
international.famu.cz/page.php?page=151
>TSPDT 1000
theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm

>Video essays and film analysis
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/

>Strawpoll
strawpoll.me/11002289

What makes you feel like something is pretentious?

Intern on a major indie film here. Anyone interested in how a production office works?

What's a production office? And what movie?

Chef at Wendy's here. Anyone want to how know make cheezbuergs?

No, but how the fuck do I make those Wendy's fries? Shit's slammin.

A production office is basically the logistical arm of a film. We support the set in every way possible, getting supplies, packages, etc. to set. Several department heads (art, AD, producers, accounting) work in the office. Production is basically in charge of getting people to set, setting things up, providing scripts, crew lists, etc. for everyone.

Can't say the movie but the director is well-known.

Yeah, how?

How'd you get your job? I want to work as an office pa but for t.v. in LA, but no connections or experience :(

About to film for this first time ever this weekend

I'm going to do it guys! I'll be a big guy one day, mark my fucking words!

So, I already had experience working at a very, very, very small production office, but under a name-director, so that helped. On April 3rd of this year, I started sending out a mass wave of applications to any film or tv internships I could find.

Probably sent out 40-50 in total. After more than a month of this, I was pretty much ready to hang myself, but sent out one last one to an indie film. Got a bite and worked for them throughout the production. The production office coordinator sent my information over to a production just starting up, and I'll be with them until I go back to school in two weeks.

I'd suggest using something like entertainmentcareers.net. That's where I found all the job postings.

Any chance I can get that production office to produce my movie?

Okay, so basically a production office is not like, a studio or a production company. Generally, when an indie film is going to be made, a production office will be opened for the duration of the pre and production, wrapping up generally two weeks or so after shooting is finished.

So, let's say we were gonna make your movie, Big Guy Four: You. We'd open up a company, Big Guy Four: You Productions NYC, from which we would work on the film.

Unfortunately, the answer is probably no. I don't want to brag or anything, especially since I can't say what the movies are, but these are relatively big productions with million+ budgets.

oh. that's unhelpful.

Do you have a screeplay? Have you considered entering it into contests, or perhaps shopping it around?

Where do you guys see Youtube going for Longform filmmaking?

Perfect for resume building. Not too good for film distribution if you ask me.

What about with the advent of Youtube Red?

Haven't written the screenplay yet. I've been concerned about the budget, but I guess I should actually write it first.
How would I go about shopping the script?

Honest to god, I can't see it ever taking off. People use Youtube for free video uploading, sharing, and viewing. The internet keeps getting more and more corporate, but shit like Red never works. Your best bet is trying to syndicated or offered a job by making a popular or technically well crafted series of videos.

why post this

bump

I'm in the writing process of one project but...

I have a vague idea of 3 others, big original movie ideas. The problem is that with these 3, I have no idea how I would go on with developing them.

Do I just go straight into the writing process and write whatever sticks and clean it up with subsequent rewrites? Or is there a better way or a method to map out the ideas before jumping into writing?

Was it really necessary to repost this? No one's going to fall for it.

Do one at a time.

I wish I could answer this question for you, but I'm in the same exact boat.
I have a bunch of an ideas, but I have no idea what should actually happen in the story.
I'd suggest going straight into the writing process, if you can. I'm too much of a perfectionist for that.

Well duh, but I really wanna know.

I see.

Well what I do it do my best to write a good, well thought out first draft and then go back and re-read and edit and clean it up.

Once that is done, I like to leave it for a while, maybe a week or two then go back again; you'd be surprised at what you pick up on after being away from it.

>good
>well thought out
>first draft

Cool I'll try that.

Just completely ignore my post huh

I don;t see how a first draft has to be about just getting it done.

I like to plan a lot of things and edit even while I do the draft.

There isn't some simple formula that is set in stone. Of course it'll be much better upon revision but I'm going to make sure I don;t have more shit to shovel than is needed when I go back for redraft.

I write, I try to make it good and then I try to make it even better. Maybe the first time isn't good, but a lot of thought certainly goes in to it.

make sure you don't keep backspacing

I get what you're saying and where you're coming from, it actually makes a lot of sense. But I would never be able to do that.
I need to have the whole entire story in my head before I could do anything. Not exactly the specifics, like how my character escapes from the dungeon, but I need to know that she gets put in the dungeon and what happens after.
I can't even come up with those scenarios though, it's maddening.

Try not to always think about it but watch your environment and the things coming to you in the moment.

The screenplay I'm writing right now, part of it came from a dream, a lot of my ideas grow from dreams actually. I looked out my window yesterday, saw a few people walking along all looking tired and drunk and a scene idea hit me then and there.

You can think logically about where it would go but maybe even go for a piss or something and let it hit you.

You sound like you write mostly realistic fiction, that stuff is easy.
All my ideas are a lot more complex and high concept than that.

I've written one or two high concept things but yes, I prefer a more grounded approach.

Maybe if I make it some day I could feel more comfortable about going wild.

>Maybe if I make it some day I could feel more comfortable about going wild.
Isn't that kind of counterproductive? If you want to make it big, it's usually the high concept stuff that draws the most interest.
But anyway, do you have any advice for someone in my situation? I haven't made progress in years. None of the ideas I come up with for my stories feel right.
Even if I did go with your method of just diving in with the first draft, it wouldn't be good.
I have problems with being "well thought out". Maybe I have too many preconceived notions and I don't want logic to interfere with them.

Look up the screenplays of stories that you feel are similar to yours in setting/tone whatever and read it. Always read screenplays.

As for the ideas not feeling right, in what way? There's a tonne of factors here that could effect it.

Really? The reading screenplays bit always seems like such bullshit to me. How could you have the patience for that? How do you even choose which ones to read?
And I hate reading shit on my laptop, I feel like that's the worst part.
>As for the ideas not feeling right, in what way?
I guess I mean it just doesn't feel good enough, I won't go into specifics here.
But I do have another story where every idea I come up with in terms of plot progression doesn't feel like it fits the story. I'm not really sure what tone I even want to portray with this story. In my head I think of it as an 80's action film, but it's really more of a heavily political sci-fi thriller.

Nah man, you NEED to read screenplays. If it's a good screenplay it is definitely not boring as a good screenplay flows like hot butter just as a good films would.

Reading them gives you an idea of how to be concise with action, dialogue and as I said, they're great for grasping tone and the like for your own works if they are of the same kind.

They don't even take that long to read either I'll have you know as most are about 120 pages long and the text is all spaced out. You could read a screenplay in an hour and a bit easily.

As for not feeling good enough, you're going to be overly critical of your own shit that much is true but helping to know what a good screenplay is will help ease that.

Regarding conflict of tone, you're better to write it out first as you see it and then red over it, imagining it on screen and thinking 'How does this come across?' You may want to write an eighties action film but those always have minimal plot, lots of action and very base dialogue. If you are going in to political thriller you may be getting to complex for what you'd like.

I suggest looking up screenplays for somewhat grounded eighties action movies like Escape from New york. That's eighties as fuck but not over the top and has a little bit of politics in it.

what sorts of ideas do you get from dreams?

The one I'm writing as we speak for instance: A fictional mid western town in the US where odd things are happening due to water contamination: Hallucinations, conspiracy and very odd people.

I usually take something that stands out and build around it.

Dreams are great for when you have a block and can't think of anything interesting because dreams are almost always interesting: could be something that happens in it, a person or thing you see in one or a world. Then, use that as the scaffolding.

Holy shit, this is actually really helpful. And you made me realize that the movie could be a political thriller with the elements/style of an 80's thriller.
May I ask for your help one more time, user? The biggest problem I'm having with this idea is coming up with a plausible yet satisfying ending.
The movie is about institutional racism and the problem with that is that institutional racism in real life, has been proven time and time again, with no change.
I need my movie to an end, or at least want it to end, with the catalyst for change being realized. I need the racism in my movie's universe to be exposed in such a mainstream and overt way it shakes the entire world.

what cameras are you using?

the camera of my mind

For your ending, I'd say that Humanity would have to take precedence over Race.

If you have ever read the watch men graphic novel, Humanity is united under threat of a false Alien invasion.

So, everyone has to have their eyes opened, brought under one banner, something that we share that is powerful enough for us to look past things like race and ethnicity etc. since I do not know your plot I can't say for sure what it would be.

I can see why you are having trouble with a plausible ending where Racism is no longer a thing or is on the way to a change as in real life, that's impossible... unless something monumental like a threat unites us.

Anyone in La? I wanna move out there but don't know anyone.

Would like to meet some like-minded people.