Are you guys ready for the first HD Western release of ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY?

Are you guys ready for the first HD Western release of ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY?

Yes.

>Dekalog
>Chimes at Midnight
>Maccabe and Mrs. Miller
>Woman in the Dunes
Criterion has had a good year.

Is this worth watching? I don't see it recommended as much as Kurosawa's other films.

More like this and that?

Visually interesting and inventive movies with a distinct mood and atmosphere... Doesn't have to be Japanese, but that seems to help.

i saw it back in the day when i first got into kurosawa and the like.

its just visually cool, nothing else. dont watch it for a story, thats for sure, get ready to be spending an evening at the museum, thats the mind set you gotta be in.

House / Hausu
Go for the "le wacky Japanese", stay for the evocative production design and cinematography.

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

thanks bud that looks damn good

MISHIMA
I
S
H
I
M
A

Is this the one with hardcoded subs? Because it looks like ass.

This

Not my favorite kurosawa by far but worth watching I guess

Literally pirating everything criterion from now on.

They want to keep pandering to shit they don't deserve my money.

Yeah I'm really excited for the Lone Wolf and Cub release. Thanks for asking.

Those both are good movies

>Dreams and McCabe & Mrs. Miller are both finally being released
Feels so good man

I hope the Criterion print is better

Seen that one and loved it, actually. Would recommend it to anyone even if they don't care about Mishima himself. Those filmed novel sequences have some of the best set design I've seen.

I love films like this so much, Koyannisqatsi is another great film like this.

Can anyone explain me what is the Criterion Collection?

A DVD/Bluray label that releases art films that usually don't get big time releases in the United States.

But will it be good? Look how Predator looks like on blu-ray

Really they will basically release anything they can get their hands on and always have. But thanks to association with Janus Films and such they garnered a decent rep for artistic and "important" films.

>how you want your collection senpai?

Distribution company that masters both foreign and domestic films deemed culturally significant and important in the history of film, films that are often forgotten or lost because the original negatives are beyond repair or there exists no version translated or region coded for certain parts of the world.

They use modern telecine equipment to restore old film to a digital format and their codec is basically flawless, and their colourists are really, really fucking good. Their main goal is to present the film formatted as closely to the original intentions of the creators, meaning correct aspect ratio, colour, sound and most likely the director's cut, as opposed to the studio's. When possible they'll even work with the director or DoP themselves when grading and restoring the film to make sure they aren't making product that doesn't match up with the artistic vision.

There's also countless special features on each release, like commentary and artbooks and shit. People on this board will tell you that Criterion is hipster bullshit but that's only because they awful taste feels threatened. They're one of the last home video distributors who actually care about artistic vision and respecting the medium.

Usually they're pretty great but there have been some releases that have not looked great. I saw a thread the other day complaining that their release of The New World has messed up color balance.

Nothing as bad as wax museum Predator though.

I would expect so, web-dls are pretty compressed

If it was Criterion mastering it, they would contact John McTiernan himself and the DoP to make sure they weren't fucking up.

That's such an enormous anomaly, and about 8 years old. Have you never seen something in HD before?

There's a ton of releases across the board lately with wonky colors. I have no idea what's causing the green/blue tint trend but it's not just Criterion

>PDL
about fucking time

What does predator look like

agreed

I'm pretty sure Criterion puts a little more effort into their blue ray conversions of Kurasawa movies then Fox does of Schwarzenegger flicks.

Meme home video label for hipsters.

>Distribution company that masters both foreign and domestic films deemed culturally significant and important in the history of film

>culturally significant and important in the history of film

Ok