Why doesn't Disney do more experimental shit like this anymore?

Why doesn't Disney do more experimental shit like this anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qWJ-kGuOA_Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_(1940_film)#Release_history
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because art isn't what they strive to do anymore.

because AMVs don't qualify as movies

I liked Fantasia 2000 a lot. Not quite as much as the original, but it was still really good

If Disney were to do another Fantasia it would be shitty CG instead of art.

Because experiments don't make money

I'll put in my DVD and watch the Rhapsody in Blue sequence about once a year, and it always bring a genuine tear to my eye.

youtube.com/watch?v=qWJ-kGuOA_Q

they think they do.

my dad was talking to some pixar people for work and they said how Inside Out (or whatever that was called) and The Good Dinosaur were apparently considered huge risks for them. That they had never done something so out there and weren't sure if it would be ok.

I haven't seen those movies.

because why put forth any effort if people are going to pay for it anyway

they want meme movies

Because experimenting gets you a 27% on RT

This movie's flop is the literal reason why Disney turned to kiddy musicals.

All the critics slammed it saying
>DUDE CARTOONS R 4 KIDS LMAO

>it would be shitty CG instead of art

you can do wonderful animation with cg and combining it, if they really went full artsy they could make it work. original fantasia is great to watch while tripping

>tfw saw this when i was a relatively young lad in IMAX

grew up in a decent time i guess

Fantasia 2000 was shit, because of the cameos. The animation was amazing however.

I too would like another Fantasia, with a mixture of classical music, covers of songs etc.

>Because experimenting gets you a 27% on RT

It's 82 on RT

this movie got an 82 on rt ?

Fantasia 1 was much better

Thanks for the link (although it's out for sync for copyright reasons). Made me miss watching fantasia.

But I'm sure these kinds of projects are harder to sell compared to a princess or super hero story.

Noticed that too. This is an entry I'd consider getting the blu-ray.

this

>short film set to recognizable classical music
>experimental

You're fixing your history up. The first Fantasia's failure along with Pinocchio made Disney stop trying new things and stick to pandering

>I'd consider getting the blu-ray

Is it water colored like other Disney classics on blu-ray?

How did it fail?

Was anyone else afraid watching this when they were kids?

>that angel/pegasus one where Zeus is pissed as fuck then falls asleep
>that dinosaur one where they show dead dinosaurs because they can't find any fucking water

The only one that I wasn't tripped out over was that fucking flowers one.

Didn't make money. Critics loved it but audiences didn't care much.

If I recall Pinocchio was just crazy expensive and couldn't make it's budget back.

I loved it, but I liked all the dark parts of Disney cartoons. The Lion King was my favorite because it was the most dramatic, I loved the forest in Snow White, the hallucinations in Dumbo and Winnie the Pooh, the parts in Aladdin where he nearly dies twice.

It's a cliche to say and I hate even typing it, but kids film these days just don't go as far as ones even 20 years ago. Kids like being scared and made to feel like they're in a safe kind of danger. It's why fairy tales are always so morbid. I don't know when people got the idea they don't

watching this on VHS when I was younger is one of my best memories desuu. Still watch it every once in a while, its really good.

It made 75 mill on a 2 mill budget.
Everyone loved it wtf are you talking about?

>Fantasia was first released in theatrical roadshow engagements held in thirteen U.S. cities from November 13, 1940. It received mixed critical reaction and was unable to make a profit due to World War II cutting off distribution to the European market, the film's high production costs, and the expense of leasing theatres and installing the Fantasound equipment for the roadshow presentations

I was off about critics then, and forgot about the Europe problem.

It didn't help that WW2 was happening around the same time that Fantasia came out

the original fantasia scared the shit out of me as a child, just mickey's hat in this picture still makes me feel uneasy

It still made 75 million.
Thats not a flop by any standard.

Over the course of 70 years mate. At the time it was a failure and two flops in a row for Disney was a big deal. He made Dumbo immediately after, barely an hour long and not remotely as ambitious, though still a great movie

It has not been i tgeaters for 70 years you mook.
It was not a financial failure.
You just ignore most of the damn article on it.

>It has not been i tgeaters for 70 years you mook.
Are you drunk? Disney used to rerelease their films constantly

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_(1940_film)#Release_history