Sufjan Stevens - Planetarium

Currently giving the new Sufjan Stevens album a listen.
Am I the only one Sup Forums?
Thoughts?

I'm fucking loving it btw. The production is hitting me so fucking hard.

Jupiter is a banger

Everything is blowing me away so far. I was getting some light death grips.vibes as well

What does he mean by Jupiter is the loneliest planet?

I really liked it. I love Sufjan but I didn't have the highest hopes since sometimes his collabs are weird but I think this one really worked. I put on my best headphones at 1am, turned the lights off and watched the music dance around in my head.

He's gassy.

"methodist summer camp; you show me yours, I'll show you mine"
Couldn't fucking take it seriously after that
it's good though

>"methodist summer camp; you show me yours, I'll show you mine"

whut

based subaru trowing ambiguous bombs again

absolute trash

AOTY material

large, intimidating. v volatile.

>being homophobic in the current year

questionable

>death grips vibes

man shut the fuck up

Wow this album is amazing. Pluto blows me away what a fucking masterpiece.

nothing about that lyric implies either heterosexuality or homosexuality. i think user's just uncomfortable with the blunt reference to sexuality in general.
it's probably my AOTYSF, up there with Fleet Foxes. hard to compare with the original live bootleg but I definitely love the instrumental passages that were added, black energy is CRAZY.

Wasn't this album fully leaked like 2 weeks ago or was that an incomplete version ?

It has the same track lengths, so I'm almost positive it's the same

Neptune, Mars, Moon, Pluto, Mercury

Fuck this album is pretty much perfect except for the drones in Sun and Tides

>except for the drones in Sun and Tides
except those are mesmerizing. Venus and Saturn are the real misfires here imo, which is strange considering they're two of the singles.

In the context of the record I thought Venus and especially Saturn were fucking mind-blowing. Earth may be a tad long winded but overall the song is still essential for the record

that's fair, I get what you mean about the context of the album. Saturn works better as a part of a whole since it grabs your attention back before the piece's ultimate climax (in the beginning -> Earth), whereas when it was a single I found myself baffled as to why they felt the need to go so over the top with it. I love Earth though, that song is immense.
also Venus always just makes me kinda shrug. not bad per se, just think the live version was infinitely better.

i listened to it 1 time in the metro and it didnt make an impression on me and i thought it was boring, but thats what i get for listening to sufjan in the metro. im gonna give it another listen but yeah jupiter was the only thing i liked.

I haven't seen the live version of Venus yet, but the live NPR version of Mercury fucking hit me yesterday.

>MY SUFJAN IS NOT GEY

kek.

don't remember ever saying that

He only knows like five bands, cut him some slack.

It's pretty clearly gay, it's probably the same camp as from Predatory Wasp

good so far on second track

what did he mean by this?

hadn't heard of this previously - on track 2 now, sounds OK but pretty lackluster

keep us updated, blogposters

Done with my first listen, liked Neptune, Jupiter, Mars, Pluto and Mercury, still have mixed feelings about Saturn and Earth, Venus and the rest of the tracks didn't really make an impression on me.

good so far on 6th track

Always feel like Sufjans tunes were just 2 or 3 over dubs away from having something really special but it just falls into the 7 to 8 territory. Keep trying Stevie!!!!

have hated everything this guy's done other than Enjoy Your Rabbit but actually really digging this. the progression of Black Energy into Sun into Tides is really something special.

he's sung about his gay summer camp experiences before

you didn't like age of adz?

literally how
thought it was too ambient to the point where it lacked interesting composition.

>before
as in on a different album?

I'll have to relisten to it now, this album is making me second guess what exactly it is I didn't like about it. at the time, it just seemed like it was hopping on a trend of big bouncy electronic psychedelia that was popularized by MPP. but I recognize that AoA and Planetarium seem stylistically similar, so I'll just have to determine why it is this one is working for me whereas Age did not.

I don't see what those albums have in common besides using synthesizers. Besides, Sufjan has been doing glitch for over a decade.

Predatory Wasps off Illinoise

>Sufjan has been doing glitch for over a decade
no he hasn't. he put out one album that had glitchy elements. just cause he still conservatively sprinkles that shit into his otherwise pristinely produced commercial drivel does not mean he is a glitch artist.

so the "it" is his entire career after one line from a song from an album that's over 10 years old?

I seem to recall Enjoy Your Rabbit being released over 15 years ago.

stfu melon this is an easy 10

Great Album. Don't like it as much as Age of Adz, but the ambient songs like Black Energy and Sun really did it for me. Mars, Moon, and Pluto were the best songs imo

didnt even know suffy was working on new music
this is really good

I honestly thought it was mediocre

the build-up at the end of uranus is beautiful

Is illinoize good?

it's good but highly overrated, most of his other albums are better

John Wayne Garcy is the song that made me listen to SS

Cool downloading it. Since I've been listening to him, all my non-hiphop stuff has sounded like shit.

Yeah you're the only one, you're like an unicorn, fagget.
You better be stupid because you sound like a wannabe 14yr old asshole.

t-t-thanks user, i didn't know you like my b-b-butt so much

Been listening to this over and over again since it leaked. It grows on you for sure and is for sure my AOTYSF

My Astronomy professor from community college just gave me the okay to use the planetarium to host a listening party. I feel like this might turn into some pseudo-religious experience.

that sounds nice user, hope you enjoy it