/daily/ - actual music discussion edition

lol jk

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=36DCuT1KxM4
youtube.com/watch?v=g5Lx0o47K2I
youtube.com/watch?v=sSOtIHUJbjk
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Adrianovaz2007/wishlist
youtube.com/watch?v=aWqf17mUyoQ&t=49s
youtube.com/watch?v=1VskSobwOwE
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/clarence-clarity/no-now-3/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/swans/the_burning_world/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/danny-brown/atrocity-exhibition-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/塊フォルテッシモ魂__katamari_fortissimo_damacy_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun-city-girls/torch-of-the-mystics/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/seasick-steve/dog-house-music-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/can/future-days-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/unwound/leaves_turn_inside_you/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/and_so_i_watch_you_from_afar/heirs/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/pertti_kurikan_nimipaivat/kuus_kuppia_kahvia_ja_yks_kokis/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/current_93/all_the_pretty_little_horses/
youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

para sa mga lalaki

both still relevant

also what are daily's thoughts on the new gorillaz single

>sampled o superman

what was mike dean thinking?

it's a shame the next album won't be released until trump is re-elected

well yeah but apparently there's just a huge surplus from humanz sessions

h-sidez?

gorillaz peaked at doyathing, then humanz sucked, so now I don't really have much reason to listen to it.

idk about you, but I'm very excited for eight more years of "didjya know drumpf is silly???"

video is shit

initial impression was song was shit but it's not as bad as I thought, too bad this wasn't on the album

We're still waiting on deluxe tracks for 2-CD set, but my hopes aren't too high

pmub

just discovered this tonight. instrumental funk rock. pretty good, if you like funkadelic you'll love this.

If you like funk you've probably heard a lot of james browntbh

humanz was so fucking bad desu but this single's better

i don't know if i'd call doyathing the peak though, it's kind of forgettable for me

video is in fact shit. that catchy falsetto keeps me coming back though.

>doyathing
>forgettable
did you hear the extended version?
youtube.com/watch?v=36DCuT1KxM4

several times. can't remember a word

I'M THE FISH

you didn't remember "I'm the shit"? lmao

I think the extended noise bit + general song progression is the most interesting thing that Gorillaz have ever done.

yeh

Listened to new stuff.

My bloody Valentine- isn't anything was pretty good. I think if I get more familiar with the songs, I'll like it more.
7.5/10

Dropdead- s/t
Really excellent powerviolence. Highly recommended to fans of infest, napalm death
8/10

Momus- circus maximus
Maybe additional listenens will change my mind, but the opener is the best and the rest seems kinda filler -y. I think momus is just like Zappa in that they make great songs but rarely great albums. Not really a problem though.
7/10

Napalm death- scum
A huge deal but only at times was really as good as the music that came after it. You Suffer is obviously perfect. 7.5/10

Mercury Rev- boces
This was weird. Lots of parallels to modest mouse, an co, and nmh. This record has a really expert balance between inaccessible cool experimentation and accessible melody. I need to hear this one again, but I already love a couple of the songs (dunno the names)
8+/10

Glad you liked Boces dude. "Something For Joey" is probably my favorite song ever, or at least in my top 10

I don't know the names, I just streamed the full thing on youtube. The second(?) song and the second to last(?) were my favorites

>2nd to last song
whatta banger
youtube.com/watch?v=g5Lx0o47K2I

OK so it wasn't that one
Still a great piece though

do signposts count when they ask you to select signs in the captcha

on relisten, yeah, except for the end it all sort of blurs together.

sup

i don't think so. i don't select them and here i am
i litteraly always have to do it at least twice tho so idk

===jimmy vs natking===

>Moodymann - Moodymann
>Detroit Funk+House+Soul+Techno

More funk than house, but it's really good. Dixon can manipulate his voice to be smokey or sleek, and it's great enough to be continuously resampled over the tracks without being tiring.

The cover is deceiving, since the album was released just 3 years ago-- even with the jazz drums replacing the thumping bass for house at some points, the modern production gives the older genres here a glossy finish. Too bad the B-side wasn't as fun or engaging.

I'm reminded Mortal Love Orchestra, as both have a musician looking back with fondness towards previous generations of music. Much like Multi-Love, this album is a fun callback, to house at its roots.

lmao at lana del ray being on here tho

6/10

>Essra Mohawke - Primordial Lovers
>Singer/Songwriter

Not sure why I find this painfully boring, even with wild singing on tracks like I'll Give it to You Anyway. Can't think of anymore to say other than: this is dated. Or that it's Tim Buckley but without a good voice.

4/10

===yamir vs post feelist===

This is a dank meme because I'm putting up a single to a compilation

>Tall Dwarfs - Hello Cruel World
>Lo-Fi Indie Rock/Pop

Never heard of "Dunedin Sound", but this is a really quaint selection of EPs. You'd mistake it for a punk album in the first minutes, if it wasn't for the colorful instrument selection, details like spoken transitions, and the lyrics. It's got a lot of charm, and feels oddly personal at times. Almost exactly what I'd want a freak folk album to be.

7/10

>Paula Temple - Colonized
>Industrial Techno

LMFAO's "Shots" partially ruined this song for me but that's on me

Nothing crazy from this here "Industrial Techno" besides abrasive beats. The climax on the Perc Metal Mix sounds like an awkward mishap during a live performance.

And why haven't you listened to Temple's Deathvox EP? It improves on this base sound that Temple established for herself with this single.

6/10

===Tuco vs nyart===

>Lee Noble - No Becoming
>Ambient, Psych Folk

Aside from the 9/10 cover art, this is some fine, lonely guitar and synth drone, with some ghostly vocals. There's a really nice screeching noise that comes in on Paradise Life, that makes me imagine some young animal crying out for its mother-- all this behind synth work that sounds vageuly like Oneohtrix Point Never.

The latter half of this album never reaches the peaks that the first few tracks do, though. Them, and Laced.

6/10

>The Motifs - Cross Paths
>Twee/Dream Pop, itsa girl w/guitar

"co would like this"
>8/10
"of course"

Has the same stripped down singer/songwriting aspects as his recent recc (wished bone - pseudio recordings), but there's small details that bring this beyond aimless yearnings. The singer's self-supplied backing voices, quiet features of other instruments like recorders, keyboards and tambourines, and small touches of production, and the crunchy vinyl filter completes the album. That, and the songs don't all sound like the same ones I'd hear from anyone who wanted to play guitar.

If pseudio recordings was sitting outside on a porch one night, this compilation is like memories of a getaway to nowhere in the country, with a friend you can't remember.

8/10

========

jimmy, post-feelist, nyar advance

What were your thoughts on Rubber Cage? I couldn't find a review for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=sSOtIHUJbjk

>sup
How are you buddy? Life good? Still making music? What are your favorite songs you've heard since we last talked?

Hooray I'm glad you liked it. Cross paths is nearly perfect to me.

i haven't heard this in forever

oopsies

====stick vs Jesz====

>The Work - Rubber Cage
>Post Punk, Experimental Rock

The variety of percussion and samples used is surprisingly solid for a punk album. Saxaphones, guitars, keyboards, clarinet, horns and samples all make appearances-- Hodgkinson's vocal delivery is plain for punk, but not condescending in an irritating way. The band does play with rhythms a bit, but remembers to melodically engage the listener.

Very good for its time, underrated for sure. Punk with a moderate dose of chaos.

Fav tracks: 1992, Coloured Water

7+/10

>Oppenheimer Analysis - New Mexico
>Synthpop, Minimal Synth

Maybe one of the olderst iterations of Darkwave-- and I really enjoy the choice of synths on this. What's most striking about this album is its clear theme: the Cold War

The lyrics easily reflect the fear and uncertainty on the song Men in White Coats, "We know what is best for you/run just one more test on you/We know what we're doing, dont we?" Radiance directly references J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of the creators of the Atomic bomb known for his famous "I am become Death" quote. Other songs reference the Red Scare, the past+future of the atomic bomb, and the great uncertainty that the public felt following World War II.

The contrast between the retro synths and its dark subject matter is always an easy and interesting way to be both accessible and though provoking. The music itself isn't anything crazy for being Minimal Wave, but they serve their purpose well. If only it didn't feel like its songs were repeating themselves.

7/10

I'm going to have to choose Stick, for being more musically proficient and engaging.

don't know when we last talked, but as far as stuff this year is concerned, i'm losing my mind over all the good tunes coming out--The National single, and the new Alex G, Fleet Foxes, Mountain Goats, and Richard Dawson, are all on my mind. I've been getting more into Beach House, Real Friends, Vic Chesnutt, Centro-Matic, Lambchop, and (of all things) Mr. Bungle lately. i've been listening to Pet Sounds a whole lot more, too, and in general just spending some more time with the classics. so i'm sort of all over the place, but CURRENTLY i'm freaking out because of the new iron & wine single

this is actually p good but i think it's a pop album in disguise

Need reccs from following people:

lamb
stick
ricebeanseggs
post-feelist
jimmy jazz
nyarlathotep
borzoi
EthyBoy

:)

>oh and 22, A Million and Okkervil River's Away are probably both in my top 10 or 20 records now
>22, A Million

thats silly who would like that album

Yeah, Young Fathers are totally a pop group masquerading as a hip-hop group. WMABMT doubled down on the poppier elements of Dead and was actually a quality experimental-pop album, worth a listen (if you haven't already).

I hope they expand on some of the gospel elements of Only God Knows on their next album. It's an incredible single.

Sounds great. I'll have to hear that iron & wine.
Lambchop? Nice. Nixon and Is A Woman are amazing records.
I need to hear that fleet foxes.
Link me to your music, I still never heard it.

I'm doing good, I got to see Jens Lekman, Sondre Lerche, and insect warfare in concert this year, Sondre and Jens put out new records. I couldn't ask for a better year music wise, and it looks like King Krule and Death Grips are also closing in on new records. 2017 could be perfect. recently I'm getting into Momus, as well as grime and powerviolence music. But I've taken a huge break from music listening. Putting lots of time into making art. Oh! Grim- Maha has been a recent fave, too.

Young fathers are good, have you heard their mixtapes?

>listed as Indietronica on RYM
Well I guess you're right about they're shift in direction

The hooks on their debut are pretty crazy too. Am I Not Your Boy could be any R&B song but fuuuuuck

It's better than the made-up genre designation might suggest, trust me. Especially the tracks Shame, Rain or Shine, and Get Started.

Wishlisted, though I'm not sure what to expect

This post is correct

all good
I've heard bork, cardigans, muslimgauze, ferrer & roach w/ hassan
you might wanna change those

new jens is great, wasn't that last year though? haven't heard the others but new death grips and KK naturally has me pumped. but yeah man i took a break too desu, everything just stopped sounding good for a while including my own stuff. what are daily's thoughts on writing melodies and not being stuck with the same melodic progressions every time?

here's the EP, 1999band.bandcamp.com boi

i feel ironically attacked

Ahhh, I'm happy you liked it! This was exciting

I've actually had that album sitting on my computer for a while now, but I'm glad you picked it. Really cool topic to base an album around.

Also my review has so much grammar errors lmao kms

i apparently like "indietronica" according to rym anyway, I'll listen to it regardless of the tag

Up against Time Machines, hmmm...

Cluster - Cluster II

couldn't really get into them before but i'm probably gonna go around proclaim this as the greatest thing ever made a few weeks down the line

[spoiler] I've got a penis that will rip through the very fabric of time [/spoiler]

Good post.

: ) thants

Been reading it since 2014, I got my wallaceitis from /lit/ actually. Infinite Summer (which I guess is about starting a new one right?)

>The music itself isn't anything crazy for being Minimal Wave
It's not a genre known for musical prowess, most bands were a bunch of amateurs punching buttons on synths. But DAMN if he can't write a damn catchy chorus and some great lyrics.

same

did you like bork cardigans and muslimgauze? I could recommend different albums from them, but it'd be kinda useless if you hated them

no no yes
i've heard a bunch of muslimgauze already though

Think I might abandon this and make a new one (shocker right)
Pick things that should go on the next chart.

Also score update, if you want thoughts ask or whatever

Also why the fuck does fish dislike Chunga's Revenge, that's a dang good album that there is

cool i get some alternatives when i get home from work

recc for new chart

i recommend you finish nerd

why would you abandon that dumbo it has good stuff

Waaay burntout
might be a symptom of having nothing to do now

So do a theme chart maybe? O do a tourney!

Think you might like:
Siena Root - Different Realities

Time for backlog purge chart. First 25 go in, have in mind some of those I have already heard I just need to give them ratings or listen to it in full with attention.
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Adrianovaz2007/wishlist

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka = the sound of realizing your lonely feelings went away and you're ok with solitude

At least 2 of these

so
any restriction or something

I have Wilson in my backlog? Ugh, why I did add that?

if none then
Amnesia Scanner - AS ep

RDJ and Boris need to go to the next chart.

jazz composer's orchestra is a must too

Oh hey I listened to Richard D James Album today, forgot to rate
So, this is a lot better sounding at 33.3rpm, It's a lot more spacious and ambienty, you can really get a sense of the amount of work that went into it, I'm conflicted on giving this a rating though because the standard version has it's own attractions, it's more upbeat and all that.
It good in short.

youtube.com/watch?v=aWqf17mUyoQ&t=49s

just so people know what the fuck I'm on about
totally different vibe
also quoted from the description apparently Aphex said this: "Many of my tracks are better if you play them at 33 rpm. I have never denied that. That’s also why my pieces are so short: you can only press them onto maxi singles if they are short at 45 rpm. If they go for too long, then they don’t fit onto the vinyl—and then you can’t play them slower. That’s also the real reason why my album ended up so short. Buy it on vinyl. Instead of 33 minutes, you actually get 45, you understand? And there you have it, an album of standard length."

Wait did you listen to it at a lower speed or are you referring to a specific pressing?

I listened to it at regular speed and a special version uploaded to youtube at 33RPM, ultimately I'd say 33RPM is the better version

Hey that sounds interesting, I'll try the slower version

hey /daily/
did you know that arthur russell was in a band with the bassist of the modern lovers where they sung vocal duties, and they released a jangle pop album that fucking rules?
just going by the ratings on rym there seems to be a lot of people who like arthur russell that don't know this exists. give it a listen here

youtube.com/watch?v=1VskSobwOwE

if you liked that tall dwarves album and wanna check out some more dunedin sound, you should definitely check out
>the clean - boodle boodle boodle

Anyone else?

Your backlog is so huge

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/clarence-clarity/no-now-3/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/swans/the_burning_world/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/danny-brown/atrocity-exhibition-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/塊フォルテッシモ魂__katamari_fortissimo_damacy_/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun-city-girls/torch-of-the-mystics/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/seasick-steve/dog-house-music-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/can/future-days-1/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/unwound/leaves_turn_inside_you/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/and_so_i_watch_you_from_afar/heirs/

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/pertti_kurikan_nimipaivat/kuus_kuppia_kahvia_ja_yks_kokis/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/current_93/all_the_pretty_little_horses/

Recommend some "friday night mothafucka" music

i just felt like i had to
im sad now that i've finished it
elton john saturday

How the fuck did people notice so fast that I was using RYM again?

youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
you did this to yourself
(get memed on, son)

This is a good post. I will play this later, on loud volume, when people start moving outside to get to pubs and what not.

Jessica Pratt - on your own love again

That angels of light record is good too but really you just need to hear untitled love song from that. So amazing

There's a lot of "I have this on my HD but I either haven't finished listening to it or I haven't rated it" stuff.

The books - the lemon of pink

Nine spots to go, anything else?

Steven Wilson, niBBa

385 - 人間
Angles 9 - Disappeared Behind the Sun
Deakin - Sleep Cycle
Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2

the ascension

Added, now four more

You said pick two, I picked two :^)

the new incendiary album is amazing. I'm calling it as hardcore album of the year. it's called 'thousand mile stare.' crank it up and get in the pit, you pussy.

Bogalji
Grazhdanskaya Oborona
Egor i Opizdenevshie

I know that feel

I haven't even picked only albums I liked, I chose a few that some other trips here would possibly want to see your opinion on

This is your own bandcamp garbage that you want people to buy, isn't it?

I'm a different guy, do Steven Wilson lol

nice quads bro, but the quads don't speak truth this time. i'm from new england. this band is from new york.