So, I watched this film last night, for the first time in years, and while it's objectively great and super comfy...

So, I watched this film last night, for the first time in years, and while it's objectively great and super comfy, it's kind of rather flawed in terms of decision-making by characters and script inconsistencies:

> Dallas, Ash and Ripley suddenly stop wearing masks when they search for the Facehugger (what are protocols?)
> Dallas, Ash and Ripley suddenly stop wearing masks when they dissect (!!!) the dead Facehugger (what are protocols?)
> Dallas' death is rather lame, totally stupid of him to move right into that junction instead of backing himself somewhere where he could have an open shot
> Lambert being the W.O.A.T. navigator
> the crew not decapitating Ash right after Brett's death (remember he told Parker not to harm the newborn Alien)
> how and why were Ash and the Company sure an eventual expedition would be brought back into the ship infected with the fucking alien?
> what was the Company's plan anyway, just let the Alien wander around the ship for 10 straight months all alone, and then magically catch him on Earth? LMAO
> Ash trying to suffocate Ripley instead of simply bashing her skull in
> the final 15-20 minutes of Ripley vs. Alien were fantastic in terms of intensity and pure horror, but how fucking silly it was that the Alien was just sleeping in that wall not hearing all that noise Ripley was making, I mean what the hell, isn't he suppose to be this super-organism?
> the very idea of the monster is overrated and it's just some tall negro in a rubber suit with ugly pipes on his back section.

Let's face it guys, this movie doesn't even touch The Thing.

Plebs won't listen, though.

>>Ash trying to suffocate Ripley instead of simply bashing her skull in
Aside from the sexual imagery, I took that to be Ash trying to simulate a facehugger-like attack. It was not known what the alien might do, and if she died with a fucked up throat, after something was shoved down it, the crew might investigate it no further than "FUCK, THE THING DID SOMETHING TO HER." The alien already had a "shove down throat" motif that the crew would have understood as being connected to her death.

>> Ash trying to suffocate Ripley instead of simply bashing her skull in
That one can be answered; Ash was starting to malfunction, hence the white Android fluid running down his head earlier in the scene. At that point his thought process are becoming irrational.

>>the final 15-20 minutes of Ripley vs. Alien were fantastic in terms of intensity and pure horror, but how fucking silly it was that the Alien was just sleeping in that wall not hearing all that noise Ripley was making, I mean what the hell, isn't he suppose to be this super-organism?

Well, seeing as the only other "woman" on the ship was a MtF transsexual, that means Ripley was the only genetic female. The reason it was so docile, as near as I could tell, was that the alien (a rape-skeleton made of penises) had only been killing its competition in the rape-game. It was being docile and dormant because it got what it wanted, it was alone in a cozy room with the only female it had ever seen, and her pussy.

>not even a single mention of the bonus situation

The movie isn't bad. You've just transferred the meme-criticism logic that gets Promtheus shit on so much onto another good movie. Try not being a pedantic faggot.

I think the fact that all the characters don't do the most logical thing in their situation makes them more human. I work on commercial ships and people do dumb and dangerous shit all the time. Just because each character doesn't have Jason Bourne levels of superhuman awareness doesn't mean they're badly written

>Just because each character doesn't have Jason Bourne levels of superhuman awareness doesn't mean they're badly written
Maybe it didn't in 1979

>nigger in the suit
>it's head is a giant black dick
>horror movie
so, the real question is: was giger a cuck or a hero?

Really made me think.

I always found it strange how unfazed the whole crew seemed by the whole derelict discovery. Like, the face hugger was an oh shit moment, but there was no big "we're not alone moment." Eventually I just assumed that extraterrestrial life had already been discovered in the Alien universe and was no biggie but there's no real indication of that either.

>there's no real indication of that either
But you just said that it makes sense that they know aliens exist

>Let's face it guys, this movie doesn't even touch The Thing.
you mean the cheapest and ugliest special effect in sci-fi history

That's just how I tried to make sense of it in my head but I don't actually recall any dialogue or anything that would actually indicate that being the case.

Do you recite facts out loud every time they're relevant? Just because nobody said

>hey look aliens but that doesn't shock us because we're from the future and humanity is familiar with the concept of intelligent alien life now

that doesn't mean that it isn't the case

When is school starting?

Characters doing stupid things =/= bad writing. To be fair, I too was surprised by how little they cared about their own safety when they were around the facehugger, but other than that everything was fine. Like how Lambert kept panicking all the time or when she froze near the end so Parker couldn't fire at the alien. I don't know about you, but I think it's plausible that someone would do something like that in that situation.

They didn't fight Ash when Brett died because they're civilized fucking human beings and mistakes can be made, especially when you don't know what you're dealing with.

>Alien was just sleeping in that wall not hearing all that noise Ripley was making
The alien isn't a spooky horror monster. It's a life form, an animal. If you let out a wild tiger out in a busy mall, it won't attack literally everyone in there. After a while, it makes sense that it's just going to stop. The alien most likely attacked them because it felt threatened and it's implied (given the context of the fictional universe) that the main reason for attacking them was capturing them alive and using them for reproduction. Maybe it felt like it did its job (see that one stupid extra scene in the Director's Cut) and went into some kind of hibernation or whatever. Who cares.

This isn't a movie about astounding people. He's a science officer on a mining freighter, not on a research ship. This isn't like Prometheus were a supposedly highly skilled and carefully selected group of people act carelessly.

Subtle writing like black mamba asking why they don't freeze him, etc is actually done brilliant in the film.

The company did not "plan" to find the alien and bring it back. It was protocol for mother to awaken them if they detected a signal. Nobody had any contact directly with the company, mother was an AI that was programmed to operate in the best interest of the company and decided the crew was expendable. Ash was also an AI. It was very much man vs machine.

Do you honestly think they should have just killed Ash after he didn't want them to kill the alien? Please tell me you aren't this retarded.

>muh masks
Why would he wear the mask? It's a fucking oversight on their behalf and only aspies would actually seriously care while watching.

You can't expect people always to behave the way you want them to in films. People don't always make the best decisions.

The reason he tries to suffocate her is because it fits in with the themes of the film. He was also obviously a flawed AI.

>objectively

You're not arguing with anyone, you don't need to spout this meme terminology to back your opinion.

I always just thought he had some sort of do not kill protocol and was trying to find a way around it.

why did they include the shots of sigourney weavers ass? i think that was the single worst part of the movie

>ass

Then he's still violating his programming and malfunctioning

Really makes you think...

>The company did not "plan" to find the alien and bring it back. It was protocol for mother to awaken them if they detected a signal. Nobody had any contact directly with the company, mother was an AI that was programmed to operate in the best interest of the company and decided the crew was expendable. Ash was also an AI. It was very much man vs machine.
You must have forgotten the part where Dallas said the company replaced the usual science officer with Ash just TWO DAYS BEFORE THE MISSION.

>The alien isn't a spooky horror monster. It's a life form, an animal. If you let out a wild tiger out in a busy mall, it won't attack literally everyone in there. After a while, it makes sense that it's just going to stop. The alien most likely attacked them because it felt threatened and it's implied (given the context of the fictional universe) that the main reason for attacking them was capturing them alive and using them for reproduction. Maybe it felt like it did its job (see that one stupid extra scene in the Director's Cut) and went into some kind of hibernation or whatever. Who cares.
Literally grasping at straws: the post.

There could be an infinite number of reasons to replace the usual science officer.
Maybe Ash was sent on the mission because the company knew of the derelict ship.
Maybe Ash was sent on the mission because the company wanted to see how their new AI handled the mission.
The question remains unanswered, and ultimately, does not matter at all.

>ass

What do you not understand from
>most likely
>it's implied
>given the context of the fictional universe
>Who cares

Of course it's a fucking interpretation. It's not explained and it doesn't need to be. Stop being a pathetic contrarian and enjoy the movie.

Fuck. Never thought of that, makes as much sense as the whole sexualy repressed android wants to fuck Ripley but doesn't have a dick so uses a magazine to get his kicks, story that always gets posted.

>but how fucking silly it was that the Alien was just sleeping in that wall not hearing all that noise Ripley was making, I mean what the hell, isn't he suppose to be this super-organism?

It didn't give a fuck though. I don't understand how that isn't immediately apparent to you.

If you meet a bear in the woods and it's hungry or threatened, it will fucking kill you. If you meet a bear in the woods while it's just chilling, it won't give a single solitary fuck that you are there.

There's been theories that it was dying. The alien expends so much energy growing, that it only lives a few days.

the thing is the most boring overrated movie in existence

Your opinion is objectively wrong That would be 2001

Schoooool's out for SUMMER!

I watched both The Thing and Aliens in the theater when they came out. Both were fucking awesome.

They have aged fairly well it seems, but I can't imagine what today's millennials think about movies prior to their birth. They seem to like Transformers movies over everything else when it comes right down to it.

Back then, this shit was off the hook. You had these movies and Star Wars at the same time. Everything was changing in cinema.

What's it like being retarded?
>le nothing happens until the stupid looking monster makes a short laughable appearance movie
Alien is exponentially the better movie

Over a decade ago I started a 3 month campaign on Sup Forums to get people to watch it. Seemed like no one watched it at all then. Only in the past 5 or so years have people on Sup Forums actually started posting threads about it.

>le nothing happens until the stupid looking monster makes a short laughable appearance movie

You see the monster at the very beginning of the movie. In fact, it is the first thing you see then again as they chase it in the helicopter.

I never saw it on tv until after I watched it. I was just trying to find something similar to alien which it was, just without the exciting atmosphere and things happening

Pretty good thanks, how about you?

Wew what a monster

The mention it in Aliens, but you are right. They don't mention it in Alien.

Every Millenial (I'm 34 - I still qualify but fuck that, no) I've gotten to watch The Thing has absolutely loved it. The Thing will definitely stand the test of time

Seems the older ones like it more than the newer ones. All the ones born in the 1990s seem to be like "meh".

>criticising movie purely on plot terms and specifically the lack of optimal strategy employed by characters
>calling others plebs
It's not an astronaut training video, you autist.

Alien itself as a monster is rather overrated and not so great-looking. WTF is with this ugly pipes on his back? If only Dallas wasn't such moron in the vents, he could've burned him silly.

What about the B O N U S situation?

so was lambert raped or no?

There's pretty much a millennial divide where if you're old enough to remember 9/11 and a time before smartphones when the internet was still getting off the ground, you have basically nothing in common with what people commonly refer to when they talk about "millennials".

>how and why were Ash and the Company sure an eventual expedition would be brought back into the ship infected with the fucking alien?

They weren't. After ash finds out about the alien, his mission changes (presumably the company had prepared for the eventuality of discovering an alien species being more important than whatever the lives on any crew are worth)

>what was the Company's plan anyway, just let the Alien wander around the ship for 10 straight months all alone, and then magically catch him on Earth?
Probably to use the alien's corpse to get funding to go back to LV-426 and get more aliens.

>the final 15-20 minutes of Ripley vs. Alien were fantastic in terms of intensity and pure horror, but how fucking silly it was that the Alien was just sleeping in that wall not hearing all that noise Ripley was making, I mean what the hell, isn't he suppose to be this super-organism?
He's waiting to ambush her. He's not supposed to be a super-organism until it's retconned in Prometheus (making this more of a criticism of that film) - in Alien he's just a pissed off alien

you're no Mr. Plinkett, pal.

>no one's in the room when Kane says "Rosebud," yet everyone talks about the fact that he said it

Wtf, I hate Citizen Kane now

> Dallas, Ash and Ripley suddenly stop wearing masks when they search for the Facehugger (what are protocols?)
> Dallas, Ash and Ripley suddenly stop wearing masks when they dissect (!!!) the dead Facehugger (what are protocols?)

Yea, that was stupid as shit but really doesnt matter

> Dallas' death is rather lame

He was panicking, also I don't know if it was intentional, but when he looks up the junction he sees a shadow up there thinking its the Alien, so he goes the opposite way.

> Lambert being the W.O.A.T. navigator

ok?

> the crew not decapitating Ash

The Alien was tiny when they last saw it, he assumed that it would be near the same size and capturing something like that would prove extremely valuable.

> how and why were Ash and the Company sure an eventual expedition would be brought back into the ship infected with the fucking alien?

They weren't, it just happened to play out that way. If they could capture the Alien then there would be no reason to expend the crew

> what was the Company's plan anyway

The companies plan was to intercept any unknown signal and investigate it and bring back any lifeforms. It just happened this one was violent, got loose, and killed the whole crew. They would rather capture it then let it wander the ship for months.

> Ash trying to suffocate Ripley

Yea, he should have killed her immediately because she was messing with the mission parameters of killing the alien. Malfunctioning may have messed with his computing

> the final 15-20 minutes of Ripley vs. Alien

It was stuck and I think waiting for her to get close so it could kill her. When he reached his hand out I think it was trying to grab her but she got away

> the very idea of the monster is overrated

ok

He wasn't actively trying to kill Ripley you fool, it was looking for a place to rest since the entire ship was going tits up and it stressed/riled up the xenomorph.

Errr, his butler was there, hence the lights on.