Explain this, britbros?

Explain this, britbros?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FomvPMvWVGY
youtube.com/watch?v=r0dcv6GKNNw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the arabic speakers have chauffeurs, don't worry eesti.

It's a sign at ports, there's also similar signs in Rotterdam and Calais telling us to drive on the right

Where's the usual image?

I'm triggered.

Why won't you convert to right side driving, lad?

Left hand is better for right handed people

It's been custom to walk / ride / drive on the left for hundreds of years here, I believe.

Changing it all now would cost billions and would be a very unnecessary expenditure.

Additionally, was it Thailand or Burma or somewhere that decided to change the side of the road that everyone drove on overnight? All their cars are still designed to drive on the other side, so it's a huge pain.

Pretty sure it was Burma, they have buses discharging passenger into the road now

Ah yes that's the one. The stuff you learn from Top Gear...

Why won't you convert to superior left side driving, lad?

It's not that much an issue. The UK is an island so there aren't that much foreigners that comes driving cars made to drive on the right and their infrastructures were built for driving on the left.

Japan drives on the left too and they have no problem because they're in a similar situation. It's fucking disturbing at first tho ,and everytime after too

i have seen many uk fags that went to Latvia with their cars
alive

Traditionally, peasants walk/drive on the right. Important people walk/drive on the left (and the peasants step over to the right, or get run over).
France had a revolution and started chopping all the important peoples heads off. So it was important (if you were important, and didn't want your head chopped off) to appear to be "one of the people", and not an aristocrat. So they started doing things only ordinary people did, like traveling on the right side of the road.
Later, Napoleon exported lots of cultural things all over Europe, including the traveling on the right idea. The French never invaded Britain, so we still use the old system of unafraid aristocracy, as do most of out colonies.
It's just originated as social camouflage, though.

It's just convention. It's too hard to change at this point, like conventional current.

Worst part of left-hand driving is the tourists who automatically switch back to driving on the right; not a great sight to see coming directly towards you.

Still, it means we can use cheap second-hand Jap imports.

Oh I never knew that. Very interesting, thanks for the history lesson mate.

>most of our colonies

Not the one that matters.

USA! USA! USA!

>Driving on the wrong side of the road
These barbarians actually exist

Legitimately safer for the majority of the population. You'll find that the UK has lower accident rates than any other country in the EU.

what happens when you drive into a country that switches the lane you drive on though

Even if that were true (which i doubt) it doesn't prove the reduced accidents are due to the side you drive

I always liked to imagine a upright corkscrew thing where one lane just keeps going, and the other lane ramps up, over, then ramps down on the other side.

This has always seemed stupid to me. Most people are right hand dominant. So when encountering something that would make you jerk the wheel to avoid it would be jerked to the right, off the road instead of into the oncoming lane.

>Traditionally, peasants walk/drive on the right. Important people walk/drive on the left (and the peasants step over to the right, or get run over).

nice bullshit, some people will believe that shit

I think you'll find you're driving on the wrong side, not the right side.

Shouldn't the sign be on the left side of the road if you're driving in the left lane, or am I just suffering from a case of 4:00am?

Kilometers and meters seem stupid too you too Merifat.

These are real things.

They can't handle anything from the right.

But then people who falsely drive on the right wouldn't see it.

Drive on the left = right hand drive cars. Most people are right handed. In a right hand drive car your center console and gearshift are accessed with the left hand, allowing your right hand to continuously maintain the more important exertive job of steering.

Ah, right. I guess the whole concept of having to tell people that they're driving in the wrong lane is foreign to me. We generally only have those at freeway sections where lanes split/converge.

>You'll find that the UK has lower accident rates than any other country in the EU.

Isn't that also because the UK road tax and insurance system makes it so that many plebs simply can't afford cars? We get this UK police show on the telly, and all UK cops ever seem to be doing is pulling over cars that are not insured, have no tax or both.

If you're 18 their insurance costs more a year than they paid for their used VW Polo.
And they can't drive their parents cars because in Britain, the insurance covers the driver not the car. So you can't let anyone else drive your car unless you pay a lot extra.

It's really not *too* expensive to own a car here, unless you're a new driver. My first year of insurance cost me £2.5k when I was 17, and I was only driving a little £1.6k used Fiat Punto.

If you stick with the system, car insurance will typically only cost a hundred to two hundred pounds by the time you're in your 30s.

To add to this, if you do get insured to drive a parent's car, you probably won't be a "named driver," meaning you don't earn your no-claims bonus which is what brings down your insurance fees.

The one benefit of our system is that we don't have a lot of toll roads, and that when someone causes a crash they are more likely than not to have insurance.

>Americans can't even drive in the straight line.
youtube.com/watch?v=FomvPMvWVGY

They can't navigate roundabouts either.

>The one benefit of our system is that we don't have a lot of toll roads, and that when someone causes a crash they are more likely than not to have insurance.

Both of those things are true for the Netherlands too, but I think it's still not as expensive to run a car here... On the other hand, actually buying a car, especially brand new is HIDEOUSLY expensive due to taxes in this country if you're a private individual.

They seem to prefer 4-way stops to roundabouts, even in low-traffic areas which is absolutely baffling to me... There are perhaps 3 stop signs I know in this area, all strategically placed where cycle paths cross roads. Cross sections either have lights or roundabouts, and in very low traffic areas they just use the normal yield-rules (right before left, straight before turn, short turn before long turn).

>a right handed Mercedes is cheaper than a left handed Mercedes

Explain this Krauts

I think it was a Gumball Rally where I saw a yank complaining that with a roundabout he had to drive all the way round it for the third exit, when he could just drive 20 yards straight to it if it was an intersection.

I think he didn't appreciate how the flow of traffic is maintained with a roundabout, nor how he didn't have to wait minutes at a red light.

Yeah, I agree that our system is still more expensive than it should be, and it just encourages scum to break the law in a lot of cases.

We didn't get cucked by Napoleon.

Right-handedness is the dominant dexterity.
Driving on the left means that not only is your dominant side facing an important side of the road, but when you change gears your dominant hand doesn't leave the wheel.

>but when you change gears your dominant hand doesn't leave the wheel.

Brits keep mentioning this, but is it really that significant? How often are do you suddenly need to change course mid-gearshift? And why are Americans generally such shit drivers, even though they never have to lift their hand (or feet for that matter) to shift gears?

>And why are Americans generally such shit drivers
Because you can take a driving test too young to understand that driving is inherently dangerous, and because automatics are pathetically easy to drive anyone can pass their test.
There's also a cultural thing where American drivers are in general just arrogant arseholes, too.

And I'd argue it's definitely relevant, if you need to change gear mid-roundabout, for instance.

>no mention of america in the op post
>some britbong finds someway to bring us up

everytime

>And I'd argue it's definitely relevant, if you need to change gear mid-roundabout, for instance.

Meh, I was taught to always go to the correct gear before moving onto the roundabout.. IIRC it was 2nd when I did my lessons.. But it really isn't that hard to shift up or down when halfway through a roundabout imo. Probably also because I'm used to holding the wheel with my left hand while shifting.

>He doesn't drive on the RIGHT side of the road
pity

It's a valid point though.. Why are Americans typically such shit drivers? Is there anu truth to: >Because you can take a driving test too young to understand that driving is inherently dangerous, and because automatics are pathetically easy to drive anyone can pass their test.
>There's also a cultural thing where American drivers are in general just arrogant arseholes, too.

>I was taught to always go to the correct gear before moving onto the roundabout
Which is what you should do - but you can't always rely on people indicating or Audis/BMWs/etc not cutting you off either. So it's useful.

If you use a little thing called your eyes user, you'll see I didn't bring it up.

There's nothing difficult about turning a steering wheel with your left hand, that's a Britfag meme.

On the other hand I'm glad I don't have to change gears, use the radio or GPS with my left hand, I'd feel like a lefty faggot.

>The French never invaded Britain
You really have to remind us of that at every opportunity, don't you?

RONNIE PICKERING

youtube.com/watch?v=r0dcv6GKNNw

I read that keeping left evolved organically, and it was down to having people pass you on your right hand side, where you could trade/fight/deal with them using your more dextrous right hand easier. If you're on horseback, turning is a little more awkward so you'd naturally bear left to keep people on your right.

Your explanation sounds plausible though. Maybe what I read is also true, and is the reason the privileged class got right of way on the left side.