/classical/

what is subject field edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IKam7bF3k9U
youtube.com/watch?v=3FPsDV7_Y6o
youtu.be/EqqG6UP7_3E
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=108&v=LxcMZl6YwNs
youtube.com/watch?v=o5QwGEGxR24
youtube.com/watch?v=nCYJYAX3sfU
youtu.be/9YU-V2C4ryU
youtube.com/watch?v=jjP0_cP8TA8
youtube.com/watch?v=DJh6i-t_I1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=NFby7rYbVRw
youtube.com/watch?v=hoINrtIWpTA
youtube.com/watch?v=DOIRJoHnZYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=I13uVL681oo
a.uguu.se/JbBNSXNaAZdZ.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=dGva1NVWRXk
youtube.com/watch?v=dXu4Wvgo5-E
youtube.com/watch?v=sswIfwzwMvo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTGdFuUdAU
youtube.com/watch?v=ATQIBolNstc
youtube.com/watch?v=mTnbrLXEGjI
youtube.com/watch?v=GWLouEKfG28
youtube.com/watch?v=1_2PF7AC2hI
youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7z-z2xIKw
youtube.com/watch?v=l1Zsk55I2Ww
youtube.com/watch?v=-34TAqv9Gjk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Not thinking Gesaldo is absolute god-tier

Anyone else think of toothpaste when listening to Fidelio?

I'm usually thinking of toothpaste.

name one composer better than Brahms and I'll tell you why you should kill yourself

>he likes brahms

Bach
Gesualdo

good job learning how to spell your gods name

>implying i'm christian

no...

Schubert

Overrated

youtube.com/watch?v=IKam7bF3k9U
why didn't you tell me about this version of Allegri's Miserere before /classical/?

because the Allegri is the memiest piece around. Although this particular recording is interesting because it doesn't go for the usual "aesthetic" we associate with the piece.

Still, I have an aversion to the piece based on the fact that for a depressing amount of people it is what they think of as representative of Renaissance music when it isn't.

>reflect on my past and how I got into classical music
>realize that I was always born with exceptional ear skills (no asian childhood training or anything)
>realize that I went to better music just because I was naturally predisposed to

this is weird, so most of the top conductors and whatnot don't have good ears or anything? they just paid their way through?

Why did I have to pick opera as my niche? There's so many voices to take into account not including singers, and all the good ones are from the Romantic period that is incomprehensible without knowing how things worked a hundred years before then, not to mention that these pieces are three hours long.
Is there at least a more active place to discuss classical music that isn't a thread on Sup Forums?

Schoeck is pretty good

You probably just don't like music, only drama.

His opera Venus is quite pretty

did you reflect on the question you're asking at all before asking it? Maybe do that now.

so you like good music because it's good? yeah man, you should definitely be a conductor.

It really does bug me when folks abridge the 'He da! Was da!" scene from the Magic Flute, but I love the overture and Der Hölle Rache remains my favorite single length of music even though it's almost completely irrelevant to the plot.

>there's so many voices to take into account not including singers
what do you mean? why is this causing you problems
And yes, there are lots of singers but there are lots of resources out there pointing you in the direction of those who are particularly worth your time.
>all the good ones are from the Romantic period
wrong
>that is incomprehensible without knowing how things worked a hundred years before then
wrong
>not to mention that these pieces are three hours long
classical music is not for attentionlets.

I hate any composer who is too lazyass to make all their singers sing and leave dialogue in their operas. Even recitatives are more musical than some twat yammering on. Magic Flute and Fidelio are two of my favorite operas and I hate them because they have dialogue.

shit I'd love to be able to write a string quartet

>too lazy
kek

KEK

The Magic Flute is proto-musical theater anyway, besides, how would you score Monosatos' "I know everything, now love me or I'll kill you"?

>Even recitatives are more musical than some twat yammering on.
No. Fuck no.

Is DG's Mahler - People's Edition a reasonably good box set?

Nah, get this one instead

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=3FPsDV7_Y6o

That was amazing.

rued langgaard was ahead of his time. good shit

Anything similarly awesome like this?
youtu.be/EqqG6UP7_3E

>tfw you try to play Jean-Philippe Rameau's Les sauvages, but all the mordents make it too difficult

sorry I linked the advertisement for the video. ughhhh
Anything similarly awesome like this:
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=108&v=LxcMZl6YwNs

Lads. My uni has given me $20k to spend putting on a production of Dido and Aeneas by Purcell. No I can't do a different opera, gotta be ol m8 purcell. No i can't do an el cheapo and pocket the extra cash. I've never produced an opera before, how's the budget look? Am Australian, so prices might be higher than yanks are used to.

Wow, are conductors really that cheap?

Hey don't hate me just because you were born with the brain of a Blue Collar worker and instead are struggling to play in Bumfuck despite Alan Gilbert sucking cocks to get to NY

No, I'm getting student musicians.

Still, I'm surprised even a student would be that cheap.

It looks relatively reasonable otherwise, though. But I've personally only done a regular theater production before.

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I don't know how to read sheet music what is the best way to learn how to read sheet music?

Yeah, it's essentially a token honorarium, I'm embarrassed at how little I can pay the musos, but oh well. There is literally no amateur opera in my city so the conductor student is pretty desperate to get something on the resume

Beethoven

youtube.com/watch?v=o5QwGEGxR24

Give me a fast, major key, light theme in 2/4 to use.

youtube.com/watch?v=nCYJYAX3sfU

just dl the links in the second mega, it has all his works except the ones he did as a teenager

>needing someone on an image board to give you a theme.
Write one yerself

I squeeze but nothing comes out

You need to hold off on squeezing for a few days, and then, after that duration has passed, take a day off and just edge until sunset. I guarantee that by the end, you'll be ready to explode.

With ideas, that is.

youtu.be/9YU-V2C4ryU

How did he get away with it?

schoenberg second string quartet

though it might have been berg at first

*thought

Box sets aren't worth the time. Just check out the stuff in folders 3 and 7.

youtube.com/watch?v=jjP0_cP8TA8

What have YOU written, /classical/?

Still shilling this pastiche crap eh JJ?

La Monte Young is the best minimalist!
just sayin' =) Reich is second

>caring about the most pedestrian subgenre of modern classical

>opera
*nothin personnel, mon ami*

>RANKED IN "THE TOP TENS" LIST OF 'GREATEST PIANO CONCERTOS OF ALL TIME

I hate the sound of major keys.
Are there any composers who utilized minor tonalities more than others?

bump youtube.com/watch?v=DJh6i-t_I1Q

I almost agree with you. If you like pianoshit Rachmaninoff is great since the majority of his pieces are in minor. Otherwise just search for composer name + minor. And ignore Mozart

>>reflect on my past and how I got into classical music
>>realize that I was always born with exceptional ear skills (no asian childhood training or anything)
>>realize that I went to better music just because I was naturally predisposed to
>this is weird,

????????????????????????????????????????????????

>so most of the top conductors and whatnot don't have good ears or anything? they just paid their way through?

petzold

petzold

You don't have to like him but if you don't "get" him and think he's a hack you should not be allowed to work in classical music

Why didn't you save her /classical/?

who is this and why are you posting her

>realize that I went to better music just because I was naturally predisposed to

>tfw your weighted key keyboard doesnt have a harpsichord setting and you cant afford to buy a new one

>tfw finally understand the sonic approach to music, after a decade of conservative indoctrination
>tfw I've finally stepped out of the 18th century compositionally

Still, I think it would be miserable to become accostumed with post-WWII avant-gards without being able to compose. To me it's all composer's music.

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=NFby7rYbVRw

>tfw he plays a shitty keyboard instead of renting a upright piano for 10-30€/month

You know you're not gonna make it with that trash.

>Man discovers another fucking Hindemith sonata

Thanks ever so much, user for your very constructive accolades and also your very keen insight into what are probably misfires here and there in what I was trying to accomplish. First the orchestration: yes, true. On reflection once I put out this video I had some misgivings about certain things I'd done in the orchestration and changed them. Seems I will never get a final version because every time I read through the score I end up making a few more changes here and there. I'd never had any formal education in orchesrating something. I was basically just winging it based on years of readings orchestral scores of my favorite orchestral works. But nothing is a substitute for a good grounding in a classroom with a good teacher. Now to your very insightful observations:
1. yes, it's true I got the orchestration texture too thick here probably way down in the bases and cellos, if you're referring to that arching melody played by the violins. But I was up against making it sound too much like Rachmaninoff and the problem is that if I'm going to imitate someone why not go all the way instead of using half-measures that only gum up the sound.
2. The 1st mov. reveals a obvious structural weakness and that is that I have all these themes that run one into another without any really good allocations to the piano. As you point out, both the main theme, the secondary theme AND that strings under horn soft passage are all done by the orchestra. I didn't give the piano enough room to breathe on its own with a few solo passages rather than the couple of cadenzas it's allocated. It's something I'll have to seriously ponder should I decide to completely redo the entire concerto.

3. Yes, I think I ran out of what to give the piano after that cadenza to the upper register but I wanted to get one last statement of the opening motif in before closing the movement. I actually thought this would be a separate concerto because I composed this backwards (4-3-2-1) and this was the last movement I'd written before deciding I just didn't want to get involved with a 3rd Concerto.
4. Well, you caught some things that others have caught as well: that I wrote out of the range of certain instruments out of negligence. One person caught that I'd written below the range of the viola starting at mm 35 which I hastily thanked him for and corrected.
There's no doubt I'll have to fix several things as I read the score more and more, which is why I have four revisions on YT. But people were so kind to me I just didn't want to delete their comments. And once again, thanks much to you as well, Sam for pointing a lot of this out to me. Write again if you have suggestions. They're very much appreciated. PS After Op 3 I just gave up composing. I didn't feel I had any real talent and musicians simply don't want ultra-Romantic music. It's just not taken seriously.

cheap midi keyboard and pirated harpsichord sound?

Holy shit are you really JJ? Pic with timestamp and your Opus 2 please.

he didn't edit out "Sam" in the second post. It's taken from the comments on the video

Thanks much for sharing, John. I have to reluctantly agree with you. I'm kind of like the kid who starts composing in his favorite style when he's 16, emulating his favorite composers and styles, usually Romantic ones. Except I got a really late start after having been in the business world for a number of years, only recently coming back to music in 2005, first to do some piano videos here on YouTube which weren't too good and then turning to composing to fulfill a teen ambition to write a piano concerto. I love Liebermann's 2nd Concerto too. He is a pro, of course, and has had a varied career so he's built a solid reputation. I'm a kind of musical chameleon; because of my musical knowledge I could write in nearly any style including ultra modern but I don't see these concertos going anywhere (Liebermann's 2nd is a rare exception) after they've been given their splashy premiere...Ronald Brautigam premiered a modern piano concerto by a composer about ten years ago whose name I cannot even recall. I've never heard it since. The name doesn't even come up when I google "RB gives premiere of new piano concerto by..." So unfortunately I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. That's the state of music today.

How did HE get away with it
youtube.com/watch?v=hoINrtIWpTA

Here you go. An entire set of violin sonatas in minor keys.
youtube.com/watch?v=DOIRJoHnZYQ

do you guys like the ochestral version of icct hedral by aphex twin?

youtube.com/watch?v=I13uVL681oo

>tfw you will never be able to play like this
a.uguu.se/JbBNSXNaAZdZ.mp3

That's honestly some of the most autistic piano playing I've heard. My fingers hurt just thinking about it.

Who is it?

Lhévinne

Piano roll.

that sounds incredibly inferior to his actual recordings.

It is. And I'll still never be able to play that well.

Somebody post some good Bartok

Here's a nice contemporary piece by John Luther Adams- youtube.com/watch?v=dGva1NVWRXk

Saw Suzuki with a chamber group and a few soloists last night - Full concert of Bach pieces. not bad, although not my favorite pieces. Orchestral suites 1 and 3, Concerto for 2 violins in D minor and an extract from Cantata 82a "Ich habe genug"
The concerto for 2 violins was pretty decent, and the sound quality overall was 10/10 - could hear everything and it was quite a small venue, packed out. The soloist for the cantata extract was pretty good and there were certainly some magical moments. Still can't complain too much about an entire concert of Bach. The Orchestral suites, while not being my favorite pieces are still quite charming and had nice moment, well played even if the bassoonist sounded like a bleating goat at times.
Nice to hear period oboes, flutes and bassoons too - they have a great sound that is perfect for Bach.

Improvise until you come up with something. If you can't generate material from improvisation or by just thinking things up, maybe composing isn't for you.

>73285376
A lot. Something like 30 fugues recently

no, we only like music written by trained composers.

c l o w n
w i t h o u t
j e s t

youtube.com/watch?v=dXu4Wvgo5-E
youtube.com/watch?v=sswIfwzwMvo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTGdFuUdAU

Thanks dude :)

Nice satanic digits.
This was the first Bartok piece our professor showed us. he had studied at the Bartok archives in Hungary and was a bit of a Bartok nut:
youtube.com/watch?v=ATQIBolNstc
His string quartets are still considered one of the high points of 20th century chamber music:
youtube.com/watch?v=mTnbrLXEGjI
Can be difficult listening if you're not used to somewhat harsh dissonance. Might be worth starting from the first quartet if this one is too much for you.

Thanks these are a great intro. I actually really like the dissonant stuff (I've been into Shostakovich's String Quartets recently)

post songs

youtube.com/watch?v=GWLouEKfG28

Telemann never fails to impress
youtube.com/watch?v=1_2PF7AC2hI

youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7z-z2xIKw

youtube.com/watch?v=l1Zsk55I2Ww

I know right?

youtube.com/watch?v=-34TAqv9Gjk