Is Hollywood dying?

Top 100 box office bombs adjusted by inflation:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

>72 of the bombs are post 2000
>10 were in 2015 alone

Other urls found in this thread:

theringer.com/paul-feig-female-ghostbusters-too-big-to-succeed-72ede20c71dd#.f92zcxih2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Industry crash when?

>Ghostbusters (2016) at #35

People are just waiting until it comes out on blu ray / streaming it

>inb4 torrents are hurting sales

Social Justice was a mistake

And that's with the 70 mil loss estimate. That assumes the end box office will be 230. Will it even get that high? It's looking more like 100+ loss for just production + 100 mill loss for advertizing.

>The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

i love this movie - had no idea it bombed so hard

We have so many big bombs nowadays because companies put all their eggs in fewer baskets, the mid budget production is dead
That's why year after year we get record breaking openings or record breaking flops, it either makes a billion dollars or loses millions, no smaller budgets or tighter productions

How much longer will they be able to keep this up?

I don't understand that list at all. It seems there's lots of guessing. Also do movies really need to make 3 times their budget to not be considered a bomb?

>Also do movies really need to make 3 times their budget to not be considered a bomb?
yes, because of huge marketing budgets

yes

less people are going to their cinemas and those that do are buying less from the concession stands, 3d and other gimmicks help the bottom line but there is still no answer

The brothers grimsby lost over 10 million

Its listed alphabetically, sorted by estimated loss adjusted for inflation its like 20th
lol

That's box office gross, so in addition to marketing budget, the studio isn't taking home all of that money. Typically they get 50% of domestic box office and 30% of international.

ignore i got it wrong.

Hollywood went public

It wont die because mom and dad investors buy shares in Sony and stupid shitty companies

Additionally they're only losses because they take public funds and give them to themselves so they turn a profit and the shareholder gets the shaft

I don't understand why this isnt more readily understood

It seems the only one making consistently big money is Disney.
The rest of the studios like Sony and WB are destined to succumb because of the extreme incompetence of their executives.

I loved conan the barbarian
But I can understanding it flopping the movie would be expensive to film even by todays standards

>The 13th Warrior
the movie is great, essential malecore.

WB owns the rights to mortal kombat
They put some autist in charge of the francise instead of just cranking out a MK movie on a 30 million dollar budget.

Instead WB is going to dump over a 100 million in oceans 8.

they seem to have settled with horror flicks then attaching wans name to them for movies in the $5-$20m range

>13th warrior at the top

That's sad since 13th Warrior is a really good movie.

>Lolita
>1997
>Budget: $62,000,000
>Gross: $1,100,000

Kek, men didn't want to be marked as pedos. Too bad.

Yeah, it's merely the 88th biggest loss of all time.

thank god. top flickerino

How the fuck did Lolita have a 62 million budget

Is it just me, or are movies also getting shittier? I haven't seen a really good movie this year since the revenant.

cause its all a scam they inflate costs and pay their own people so everyone gets rich even if the movie is a flop

the investors are fleeced and keep coming back for more cause theyre retarded

check out the sharemarket, theres trillions of retarded cash and billions of retarded investors

Biggest bombs adjusted for inflation.

>Is it just me, or are movies also getting shittier?
>I haven't seen a really good movie this year since the revenant
>the revenant

you're getting shittier

A huge chunk of these movies are "why the hell did that cost so much?" They put in big Hollywood stars whose appeal has faded, they ask for 10-20 million each and it adds up.

A film like lolita should be 1-5 million affair.

> It seems the only one making consistently big money is Disney.

Hardly surprising that a studio known for kids movies is having success with kids movies, as kids are the only ones who are willing to drop the money (that is, their parent’s money) on a theatrical movie, thus all the comic book flicks and cartoons we’ve been getting.

Meanwhile, more and more adults prefer home viewing of tv series, which is where the quality storytelling is nowadays.

Why the fuck is rush hour 3 listed?

It made back almost double its budget according to this. Might've been a little disappointing compared to forecasts but how is that considered a bomb?

>you're getting shittier
It was technically a very good movie, although I didn't care too much for it personally. Good to see that you came up with a clear and logic response to my question.

>cause its all a scam

>The Alamo
>bombed
like pottery

I think movie theaters are slowly going to be phased out entirely. There's no point for them. When they were first made they were the only way to view movies. But we now have technology to give pretty big nice quality home experience. It's "good enough" for most people. In a decade we'll be viewing 4K, which is pretty close to cinema quality anyways.

They need to re-adjust their business models so that peopel are not dropping 10 dollars per film anymore, but instead buying subscriptions to Netflix and other online "stations".

Catering was a mistake

hopefully

The light between oceans will be kino pal. Also the revenant was 2015

Have you noticed that pretty much every movie is breaking some sort of "opening day" record?

Its because all ticket presales, no matter what day they're actually for, or when they were bought, are being counted as "opening day/weekend." Then the next week's huge falloff is because there are no more ticket presales.

I think they were even trying to say ghostbusters had some sort of (heavily qualified) record opening.

>The light between oceans
Never heard of it. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

>Also the revenant was 2015
That's even worse.

>Monkeybone
JUST

>Man from UNCLE
>#67

Shit, I really liked that one, thought it was actually one of the better reboot/remakes/whatever in years. I know it didn't do well, but damn. Seems like quite a few pretty decent films did surprisingly poorly.

Let's hope.

Do studios buy tickets for their own movies?

>cutthroat island still number one

S U O M I
U
O
M
I

Ye olde "Armie Hammer is literally poison personified"

Are you suggesting a 200m loss?

The outcome of the film's production disappointed Omar Sharif so much that he temporarily retired from film acting, not taking a role in another major film until 2003's Monsieur Ibrahim:

"After my small role in The 13th Warrior, I said to myself, 'Let us stop this nonsense, these meal tickets that we do because it pays well.' I thought, 'Unless I find a stupendous film that I love and that makes me want to leave home to do, I will stop.' Bad pictures are very humiliating, I was really sick. It is terrifying to have to do the dialogue from bad scripts, to face a director who does not know what he is doing, in a film so bad that it is not even worth exploring.

Reminder the SJW is starting to blame the studio now:

theringer.com/paul-feig-female-ghostbusters-too-big-to-succeed-72ede20c71dd#.f92zcxih2

>Final Fantasy

To this day i just dont understand how they spent so much on that movie.

Should have been mostly naked sushi bars, opium and quality ancient sake.

I'm thinking it could be that high. Rumors said the marketing was 100 mil. You don't get NBA players and life sized Staypuft statues for nothing.

Some basis to that. 144 is a bloated budget that's about 2 times the original's. But even ignoring that the film is still a loss.

a lot of these movies are very good technically, but suck shit artistically.. the revenant was a plodding revenge/survival film and over 2 hours of leonardo dicarpio grunting

there have been plenty of good movies this year.. off the top of my head:

>everybody wants some
>swiss army man
>midnight special
>green room
>the invitation
>10 cloverfield lane (except for the ending)

The sooner, the better.

Today a movie is as good as it is diverse and politically correct, according to the critics and the media at least, and the gullible people that are unable to form an opinion of their own and have to be told what to think.
Thank God, the latter aren't so many yet as the big show business would have liked. So movies like Ghostbusters bomb.

I hope so. I'm tired of endless sequels, reboots and remakes. Also tired of capeshit. We need a cinema renaissance.

It's cutting edge CGI with an entirely new studio in Hawaii. Final Fantasy was trying ot be the 3D Akira. A new standard in animation. Square made CGI cut scenes for their games, so they thought they were experts on it.

The movie is totally misguided as hell, since it just is not interesting. They focused on the tech but forgot to make a good movie. Even a bigger joke is that you have 2001 films like Millennium Actress and Spirited Away, which were 2D films that cost 1% of Final Fantasy, actually made profits and are great films.

> I think movie theaters are slowly going to be phased out entirely.

I totally agree theatrical movies are an obsolete technology and I personally haven’t been in a theater since LotR:RotK back in 2003 and don’t plan on ever going to a theater again.

But Hollywood studios will do whatever it takes to keep theaters going, as they can make huge profits in a very short time off them.

Which is why we’re seeing the flood of comic book and cartoon movies aimed at kids and teenagers, as they’re going to theaters not so much to see the movie but to get out of the house and hang out with friends and don’t really give a shit what’s up on the screen.

For adults on the other hand, tv is where it’s at nowadays.

You forgot a few;

>Batman V Superman
>Suicide Squad
>Ghostbusters

Don't leave out the best ones

The problem with Spirits Within was also that they were intentionally making it for a western audience instead of just doing whatever they were good at. Their games at the time were great because you could tell talented people were making games that they thought were exciting. But the movie was cynical in that it desperately tried to distance itself from the Final Fantasy identity and instead become some sort of reborn Matrix.

>Around the world in 80 days
>bombed fucking hard

why are my favorite movies always the ones that fail miserably?

>pic related

>They focused on the tech but forgot to make a good movie.
Hey, it's just like Akira then.

They also had to start all over again by the time they were half way done since it's was visually obsolete.

>Spirited Away was released in 2001

Fuck im old... should i stop posting here? im 37 by the way.

i'm 33 famalam.. a lot of us have been here for over 10 years

I'm 34 bro

It's going the way of videogames. Soon all cinema will be will the same half a dozen IPs displayed annually. Disney will be the harbingers of this. They've already done it with capeshit and Star Wars. Annual, big-budget movies that are formulaic as fuck with a marketing that costs twice the actual movie.

Hopefully TV can absorb some of the stories that are now lost to cinema.

also nice dubs ()

31. Been here since 2009.

>seven goddamned years

Oldfag brofist

>tfw you remember pre banepost Sup Forums

Man, a lot of good to decent movies on that list.
The 13th Warrior, 47 Ronin, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Ali, Cutthroat Island, Heaven's Gate, Hudson Hawk, Hugo, John Carter, Krull, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Rush Hour 3, Soldier, Titan A.E., Tomorrowland, Treasure Planet... all films of some redeemable merit.

started same year but i'm 22. would we get along?

sure.

47 Ronin was terrible

can we pack up hollyjew and ship them to china

Beverly Hills Ninja was a success.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

13th Warrior is number 1? But why it was awesome.

I wouldn't go so far. A hungover guilty pleasure for me.

I don't get it. I can understand it not doing well and bombing because of its high budget, but making that little at the box office... it was a mediocre yet fun and unique movie and there are plenty of worse ones that made much much more. Davis was one of the biggest stars at the time too.

Was marketing that bad or why did Cutthroat Island fail so hard? I mean 18mil basically means it wasn't even shown anywhere. Or the publicity before it started was already bad. 18mil is a joke.

Most of those were pretty bad.

John Carter was neat, but the ad campaign was so stupid it ruined the movie.

Pre Banepost Sup Forums was actually pretty boring. You still had people making cunny threads, even though that term wasn't coined until last year. Instead of constant GoT threads we had constant LOST threads. The only good thing is that we would sometimes have discussion without the Reddit and Tumblr boogiemen being brought up.

Don't forget Glauposting and Abatap.

Shitposting was always the very essence of this board.

I remember there being more real threads with real discussions about movies

and waifuposting didn't derail threads as much

Stop making movies that cost 200 million

Counting for inflation Star Wars cost 40 million dollars to make

who would green light a 140 million dollar GirlBusters film? MAYBE it's worth 25 million

Deadpool cost 50 million and doesn't look any worse than Civil War (besides paying the actors).

there were also proto-baneposting threads:

>my hands are dirty
>so am i

Gilliam's movies arent exactly blockbusters.

The outrageous budgets and marketing campaigns we regularly hear about are really just covers for money laundering on a massive scale.

We’re told that Game of Thrones costs HBO $8-10 million per EPISODE, yet none of that appears on screen.

Where did the money go? It went to shell companies, owned by other shell companies, that billed other shell companies for various “services” nobody actually keeps track of.

And of course governments are complicit in this, as they want that laundered money getting back into the economy (along with their kick-backs…) and thus the IRS turns a blind eye to blatantly shady shit that would get Joe Blow Average American tossed in prison in a heartbeat.

unfortunately it was panned hard. and not many people know this, but it was panned so fucking hard that chris farley took it really personally.
the following days would be his last, as he tried to hide from his shame by going on a 3-day long bender of drugs, alcohol and hookers.
on the final day he overdosed on snowball and, tragically enough, the hookers he was with were so scared they didn't call 911, which would've saved him.

you tell me now with a straight face that beverly hills ninja was a success.

Last year Disney had a horrible year, despite their Star Wars and cape flicks

shitposting was an annoyance that eventually come to overtake all other types of posting as the site went mainstream.

Came out at the wrong time really.
Also, one of the first film to suffer what was basically SJW backlash from the critics.

The plot and pacing was bad though. It was some weird slow Asian film with a couple of action scenes about ghost aliens or something. The pacing was a snail's pace. It should have been a fast exciting film.

If they did a plot similar to one of their games, it would have been more successful.

Also the failure of Spirited Away showed the ned for motion-capture.

oh yeah

don't even remember a time without feet though

Movies are probably a front now for moving massive amounts of cash around. Flops are great because the IRS doesn't look at the books and when the money goes "missing" you can declare it as a "loss". Though it's just speculation I bet it works on the same principal of the Producers.

There's no way that CGI Wizard of Oz- which was probably rendered in India on the cheap- cost 100,000,000+ million dollars to animate and voice over.

use archive...

>Pre Banepost Sup Forums was actually pretty boring
spot the shitposting turist
we actually had film and tv threads with discussions not dominated by memes and buzzwords.

>proto-baneposting
there have been forced memes always before and after baneposting retard

windtalkers isn't even that bad a movie, a bit oddly paced and too direct with its message but not terrible

Basically audiences didnt give a shit about geena davis in a pirate movie. The studio also sunk a shit ton of money into it expecting a huge success.

I remember the trailers for this movie as a kid and thinking it looked like a really shitty movie.