How did once upon a time in America come about...

How did once upon a time in America come about? Did Leon pull a Quentin and attempt to make his own Godfather after a two week coke bender?

Pretty sure Leone regretted not directing The Godfather so he made an epic that was bigger and better.

Oh shit was he offered it?

Pesci just entered the film. First time seeing this movie. I can't say it's better than Godfather, but it's pretty cool. desu, I do wish it were just a little tighter

You think it's better?

Yes, the producers originally wanted Leone in order to make the movie more authentically italian. He turned it down so they went with an unknown at the time in Coppola.

Coppola also originally didn't want to direct Part II and was going to produce and have Scorcese direct, but the producers talked Coppola back into it.

Good call, Scorcese on part two might have fucked it. Great director but nor a fine director if that makes sense

Not *

his style would've been to big a contrast to the first

He was offered The Godfather before Coppola but turned it down because he didn't want to glorify the mafia or something like that.

I'm really conflicted. The Godfather is great. Once Upon a Time in America is great. The Godfather took two films to make a great epic depicting the lives of the characters. The Godfather part I is a great film but it isn't on the same scale as Once Upon a Time in America. The Godfather requires part II to give it that legendary epic status while Once Upon a Time in America managed to do it with one film. I like to imagine Sergio Leone's The Godfather would have been better that Coppola's but I'd understand if it wasn't as well received. I have a feeling normies can't get into Leone due to his really drawn out long scenes.

>Scorsese
Holy shit I didn't know this. I like him but no way would that have worked. Imagine The Godfather but filmed like Mean Streets it would have made the film a little less serious.

>Long drawn out scenes
Absolutely the reason people dont get into him
Yeah basically that's what I was thinking. I was wondering if he would have tried to recreate Coppola's tone for the sake of continuity but he's such a different director . I'm glad it went to Coppola and not Leone though. I just am really happy the way things came out . Would have been interesting to see Leones take on it though

Enjoy.

>"Noodles I slipped"
>YESTERDAY aging sequence for Noodles
>YESTERDAY when Max and Noodles finally meet
>Noodles turning Max down
>Max throwing himself in the Garbage Trucks grinders

Cried for a good portion of that movie.

What was going on with that ending though?

Max killed himself, what of it? Or do you mean the Opium den?

noodles is just hallucinating in the opium den

he doesn't know what happened to max, likely his friend's dream was never achieved, and he will never get to meet that chick he raped again either (p.sure i have a rape fetish after seeing that scene when i was a kid, thanks leone)

Thanks bro

Dumb movie and way too long. It was just about a bunch of Jews raping people.

you probably think the same about the eternal jew you pleb

Wondering more about the cars that drove by while drinking champagne. What was the significance of it?

very fitzgeraldian, personally i think it represents the moneyed classes enjoying a 'gangster' party life without assuming any of its risk/trappings

perhaps that noodles/max could never be one of them, no matter how much money or power they accrued, like gatsby, the life they dreamt of when they were children would always be beyond reach

Probably this. Despite being "Rich" they would never truly be Rich, they'd still fall into the trappings of such a lifestyle and could never truly be Rich and have no problems.

This flick is ESSENTIAL "literally nothing happens" core

Because real kino is about actual characters and their relationships.

Is this essential women will never understand core?
I just found this comment on the yesterday scene.

Women will never understand any film in which literally nothing happens

Don't you have capeshit to discuss somewhere?

I'm not saying that the movie is bad, in fact I quite enjoyed it (though I do prefer most of Leone's other work), but you can't deny that OUATIA and just Leone in general is "literally nothing happens" core at its finest.