So what's the real deal with SSRI?

So what's the real deal with SSRI?

I was prescribed with this shit today (sertraline), and I'm expected to begin treatment immediately and accept the side effetcs, which include..

> Tiredness
> Ejaculation problems/erectile dysfunction
> Serotonin syndrome
> etc..

So.. Besides dulling my actual problems and caring less about my life - what's there to expect?

I've been on sertraline (generic Zoloft) for a number of years now. It just helps you not get "stuck in your head" when it comes to anxiety. You'll feel that anxiousness start but then it just goes away and you are free to move on to other thoughts.

I've never had any side effects or felt "numb" to stimuli. If anything it let me enjoy more things because I wasn't internally spazzing out and then cancelling my plans.

I had this prejudice that Sup Forums was full of SSRI candidates..?

So basically youre a depressed little girl

what's your current dosage?

You become impotent earlier and causes you to premature ejaculate once you get off it as it fucks your brain chemistry up

I started at 150mg which was way too much for me, stayed at 100mg for a while, then 75mg, and now I'm down to 50mg.

150mg is 3x the amount that I was prescribed (OP). I'm expected to start out with 25mg, then go to 50mg

>I'm expected to begin treatment immediately and accept the side effetcs

no you're not

if you experience any of those side effects, your doctor can adjust your dosage, faggot

Tiredness. If you experience this, sertraline is not for you.
ED. Hit and miss, literally. recommend switching
Serotonin Syndrome. Don't be stupid and take too much or mix with other uppers

Fuck these drugs bro unless you wanna live life as a complete zombie. I was on some shit for two years and got myself off. I would rather feel miserable as fuck and feel something than zombie around.

Additionally, it'll take a couple weeks to build up in your system

Weird. They normally start high and go low.

It'll take a week or two before you start to notice any changes.

You're anti social, not depressed. You don't need pills to tell you to stop canceling plans, everyone deals with the same shit you think is only affecting you. Get off these stupid pills and learn to manage your own life. Like people have successfully done for thousands of years before big pharm made all this up.

Unless you're about to kill yourself, you don't need pills. Literally the only reason. If you're not dying, you're fine. Everyone struggles. Taking anti depressants when you live in the most advanced and sheltered age ever is so fucking cringe. You're fine muffin, go outside and have a beer when you get home.

Yeah, I have been informed of that. There seems to be some side effects, when you enter a treatment, which should be the argument for starting out low.

Yea it can increase suicidal thoughts in some people. Only thing I ever had to deal with was insomnia but eventually that died out.

There's basically no evidence that these pills have clinically significant effects beyond placebo, unless you have very severe depression. Apparent efficacy is mostly active placebo ("Wow, this shit has powerful side effects, it *must* be working!"), expectancy/effort justification ("I've tried these too long and invested emotionally too much into these for me to accept they don't work") and publication bias.

Don't over-invest. If you don't notice a dramatic difference, get off them. The side effects and other costs (e.g. dependency, price) are really not worth it unless you are truly severe.

>anti social
sound more like asocial.

I was on sertraline in college for a couple years. 100mg I think. It definitely helps deal with everyday anxiety, but it actually seemed to worsen any acute anxiety attacks.

Also I couldn't cum while I was on it. I could fuck and fuck and never orgasm.

Canceling plans on your friends is pretty anti social behavior. Ruins friendships. If he was asocial he wouldn't have wanted the pills in the first place since he wouldn't have been making the plans to begin with, right?

> sake of discussion while shitting at work, not that vested.

Did you gain back your lost abilities to cum after you ended your treatment??

You make it sound easy - like you either have the symptom 100% or 0%.

I'm more concerned, that the drug actually fucks with some fundamental stuff in your brain, which alters you as a person. This alteration can then be described as a set of categories to fall in. And this poor model of describing the alteration is just a lack of better ways of communicating the impact of the drug.

>Quit whining. The depression and anxiety are all in your head. Just ignore them.

You're a genius, user. You should run a suicide hotline.

Same for me. I had to get into kinkier shit to be able to get off.
Now I need to smack myself in the balls right before ejaculation in able to have an awesome orgasm.
Oh yeah.. I stopped getting "runner's high" from running.

Just a recap from OP:

Thanks to everyone, who contributed with experiences! It's highly appreciated, and it's actually with those in mind that I am going to decide, that I am NOT going to take the drug. At least for now..