en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björk_discography#Studio_albums
youtu.be/C3CyqrzPZ_w
youtube.com/watch?v=eTLTXDHrgtw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kyary

There will never be anybody like her

Without question its ARCA

fpbp

Wanted to get into him, which album do you recommend to start with?

Mutant

Tyvm

no one post yet because it's too obvious

very obvious

HIDE all grimey posters!! Shes a tryhard. Not the new bjork. No edge to her, her weirdness is too tumblr

>the new bjork

nobody

i would consider her a contender but she relies mostly on nakata instead of different producers like bjork
also her singing is autotuned to the point where it sounds like a vocaloid

arca doenst really sing

she doesnt have the star power or cutting edge but shes sort of similar

>her weirdness is too tumblr
what do you even mean?

Goldie

>she doesnt have the star power or cutting edge
now that's just an edgy opinion. did you see her live shows? she could have the whole crowd on the palm of her hand. she's really magnetic. as for cutting edge, she's right now the most popular and best cutting edge artist.

Nothing grimes has put out can escape its poppy associations. It almost seems to mock the profound alien vibes that bjork and similar music conveys. Its like grimes always lists bjork as one of her main influences but you know shes just trying too hard to be a special snowflake wahh im a rape victim too

Every fucking thread.

>the new bjork

stupid opinion (especially the last part). i can't take you seriously. you're just an asshole.

Shes unique and invented the downz.

>she's right now the most popular and best cutting edge artist.
bjork herself fits that descriptor more than grimes

was. bjork is a has been. she's not relevant anymore. do you notice a trend in the sales of her albums en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björk_discography#Studio_albums ?

More people still know Bjork than grimes, Bowie might have been a "has-been" when he released Blackstar but people still loved it, even before he died the lead singles got a good reception.
I would sooner say Kanye West is the new Bjork before Grimes, you have to be popular to be art pop.
Bjork was at a much higher point in her career at Grimes' current age, she released Debut at 28 and Post at 30, this is without mentioning The Sugarcubes, mind you. Grimes has still yet to see any mass appeal, and not for lack of trying mind you. I'm sure part of the reason she doesn't "sell" as much is because of digital media fucking up that statistic. Most of these famous "art-pop" musicians hit in their mid to late 20s (David Bowie, Kate Bush), which is an era Grimes is now departing. Unless she really busts her ass with her next album she won't be remembered.

>More people still know Bjork than grimes
right now: yes. but her popularity is in decline. her fanbase is aging. bjork is still popular because she's supported by a big label. unlike the indie grimes.

>I would sooner say Kanye West is the new Bjork before Grimes, you have to be popular to be art pop.
kanye is a mere rapper. to put him in the same category as bjork or grimes is insulting.

>Bjork was at a much higher point in her career at Grimes' current age, she released Debut at 28 and Post at 30, this is without mentioning The Sugarcubes, mind you.
grimes is 29 and has 4 solid albums and an ep under her belt. not too bad for an amateur who started making music without any formal training. grimes still has at least 10 years of relevancy to keep making great albums.

>Most of these famous "art-pop" musicians hit in their mid to late 20s (David Bowie, Kate Bush), which is an era Grimes is now departing.
things changed. the age doesn't matter too much if your music is solid. she has a loyal ever expanding fanbase, so her future is pretty much assured.

>unless she really busts her ass with her next album she won't be remembered.
remembered by whom? her fans? also, does it matter? dude, nobody will be remembered 500/5000/50000/500000 years (pick your option) from now.

Lol.

Check her tour booking nigga.

You cannot do such comparison. I think Grimes have too many basement dwellers ready to protect and shitpost regarding her, also comparing such Goddess with such pleb is not OK.

She's a legend.

me nigga

>She's a legend.
so what? there are no sacred cows on moo. she's a legend that will be superseded by grimes in max 10 years. you know it.

this nigga

>you're just an asshole
thanks for admitting defeat I guess

>bjork is still popular because she's supported by a big label
Not true, by the way. A good portion of her albums have been released on the independent "One Little Indian" label, including Debut.
>grimes is 29 and has 4 solid albums and an ep under her belt. not too bad for an amateur who started making music without any formal training. grimes still has at least 10 years of relevancy to keep making great albums.
The question was who is the next bjork not who makes good music, you have to be popular to be a pop star and Grimes is not popular to the degree of any previous pop or art-pop star.
>things changed. the age doesn't matter too much if your music is solid. she has a loyal ever expanding fanbase, so her future is pretty much assured.
Name one artist who first hit after 30 and continued to do so.
>remembered by whom? her fans? also, does it matter? dude, nobody will be remembered 500/5000/50000/500000 years (pick your option) from now.
Except for artists, composers, kings, and other culturally relevant people.

>kanye is a mere rapper
and a producer, and his worst album is better than grimes' best

you're right but you're retarded

youtu.be/C3CyqrzPZ_w

>and his worst album is better than grimes' best
lame b8

>every opinion that disagrees with me is bait
off yourself

bjork is the new bjork

btw, why do you keep making this stupid fallacy named argumentum ad populum? do you think popularity has anything to do with the music quality? beyonce is far more popular than bjork, does that mean she's better than bjork? since when the masses are the best judges when it comes to music?

>you have to be popular to be a pop star and Grimes is not popular to the degree of any previous pop or art-pop star.
she's more popular than well established artists like st. vincent or death grips. she doesn't need huge hits; people who are interested in good music made in this decade eventually will find out about her. she's a semi-hidden gem in the same way talk talk or devo or wire are.

In a thread where we're trying to find the new Bjork, we have to find someone who is as popular as Bjork. Sorta the point of the thread.

>more popular than st. vincent and death grips
Pretty low bar, and to be a pop star (yes, even an "art-pop" star) you have to be popular. That's what made David Bowie, Kate Bush, Bjork, et al icons.
I already stated in my last post
>The question was who is the next bjork not who makes good music
Anyway the next Bjork is pic related.

>we have to find someone who is as popular as Bjork.
no. popularity means shit and it's very relative. we have to find someone who is as talented as bjork, as quirky as bjork, as versatile as bjork and as acclaimed as bjork. grimes ticked all these boxes if you think about it.

More like the new Kate Bush

>That's what made David Bowie, Kate Bush, Bjork, et al icons.
they were mainstream artists with multi million selling albums, big marketing budgets, radio play and long careers. there were different times then.

it's not fair to demand the same popularity from a quirky newish indie artist like grimes in this streaming and piracy digital world. grimes is almost on her own; her team and budget are small. she did the video for venus fly because tidal helped her: youtube.com/watch?v=eTLTXDHrgtw

and even then, she worked for 3 months to direct, edit and color the video. the resulting video is more eye candy and spectacular than anything from the videography of bowie, bush and bjork.

indeed. julia holter is too tame to be the new bjork. same for others (e.g. joanna newsom).

>superseded by grimes
To be this autistic...

you need a mirror, triggered autist. to see your stupidity morphed in your dumb face.

that nigga

Why should there be a "new bjork"?

>it's not fair to demand the same popularity
We're trying to find another art-pop star. Grimes is not a pop star. Therefore, Grimes is not the new Bjork. Maybe there isn't a new Bjork yet.

>n-no, u ;_;

I think people looking for a "new bjork" are missing the point.
Not just of bjork, but about music, in general.

Bjork didn't start making shit because she wanted to be the bjork of her generation, she just made music.
Thus we don't need a new bjork, nor does that even make sense.

Flor example, would it make sense for me to say that bjork was the new Meredith Monk?
No, it wouldn't.
So why the fuck are you stupid faggots saying dumb shit like this?

pretty much this

Plenty of "quirky newish indie artists like grimes" have gotten insane popularity.
Especially in the rap scene, which has significant pop crossover today.
because grimes is bad

>Grimes is not a pop star.
she is a middle pop star in terms of popularity. 1 mil. followers on facebook is quite a lot for an art popstar. her most famous song genesis has over 43 mil. views on youtube. that's more than decent.

being a popstar is not a black or white thing: there are other colors (tiers) between them. grimes is way more popular than julia holter but way less popular than taylor swift.

>because grimes is bad
just your subjective opinion. it doesn't hold any weight irl.

>Plenty of "quirky newish indie artists like grimes" have gotten insane popularity.
could you name at least 10 of them?

>she is a middle pop star in terms of popularity
fair enough, but she isn't the new Grimes based on exactly that.

*new Bjork
shit

you have to judge her based on other qualities besides the popularity. qualities such as:
- singer, songwriter, producer, visual artist
- acclaimed synth heavy music
- multi instrumentalist
- diverse music taste
- weird image/artwork/personality
- totally unique voice that could never be confused with someone else's voice
- eccentric fashion sense.

now, do you see the light? grimes is kinda the new bjork.

and a pic related. i never was more convinced that grimes is the new bjork.

You can judge her on as many qualities as you want, but she misses an important quality that would make her the new Bjork.

i'm convinced too

popularity is fickle. how do you know she's not going to be very famous in the next 5 years?

Maybe she will be, but she isn't yet. The question is "who IS the new Bjork?" not "who will be the new bjork in 5 years?"

They never die, they are eternal and ride shiny chrome in the gates of valhalla.

They leave a legacy and create a fanbase that needs not to return to ever record anything else again, we'll continue to recycle and embrace her because she's a symbol of Venus.

Grimes cannot be compared, come on, stop being so moo for a sec and think of Bork's force.

This. Grimes has never made an album that has even come close to Post or Vulnicura

wtf are you talking about? art angels, visions and halfaxa are 10x better than post and vulnicura. these latter 2 albums mean nothing without the strong singles. there is a lot of filler on all bjork album, even on homogenic (pluto, immature, 5 years, all neon like, are all fairly bad - not even one decent hook or half melody). sorry, but bjork is overrated.

grimes is way more consistent and much better songwriter. her voice isn't as trained as bjork's voice but it's used extremely well. and more pleasant.

>5 years
>bad
wew

better get used to see dissenting opinions (grimes > bjork) in the upcoming years becoming very normal and acceptable. imo grimes will btfo everybody with her next album.

also
>measuring music off of the hooks and the melodies

why isn't grimes popular?

yes. what are you left after listening to it? could you even remember the melody? let's face it, it's a bad song (maybe mediocre at best) and far from something like joga or hyperballad. but you like it because it's made by bjork.

im so excited for her

Witnessed.

You cannot even compare Sugarcubes to Grimes, she's a synth whore while Bjork uses almost every instrument and the sacred Harp.

She's an old viking that knows her shit, you cannot just compare the statue of Bjork and make her feel shame when compared to such spoiled kid.

dude melodee lmao

>measuring music off of the hooks and the melodies
why not? that was the primary measure of most classical musicians. to make the most beautiful music was the ultimate goal. that's the reason why most people are listening to music: melody. take away the melody are you're left with an undigestible shell.

I wasn't even a huge Bjork fan until today, when I saw this thread. I just listened to Post and Vulnicura and they blow both of those songs. I just listened to 5 years and I'm left very happy. I especially like the crunching bit in the background, and it's stuck in my head right now.

>You cannot even compare Sugarcubes to Grimes
you must be a huge bjork fanboy to believe this shit. get off your high horse.

measuring the whole song based on the hook is silly. you know that a song has more factors that should be judged than just the hook right? I just included melody in my original post so I didn't only capture the hook part of your argument.

i really hope youre joking

>what are you left after listening to it?
how does I englohs?

>you must be a huge bjork fanboy
no.
fucking.
shit.
what tipped you off? the fact that he called her Sugarcubes?

bump

i dont want to deal with the insanity

I feel ya man

No nigga can touch Bjork

My high horse is called Pegasus and I reach every pick of every mountain I climb then I walk from pick to pick with very large legs and I come to you descending from my mountain after speaking with my animals in my cave just to let you know that Bjork is an exploit not to be seen ever again, she's unique and cannot be compared with an entry-level musician.

i wish somebody would help me

does Bjork speak to you father?
listen to some Bjork

She definitely communicates with the Planets during her crescendo depending on the waving she receives and how she moves therefore. (This must likely when writing)

She believes in the after-life just like me because we have experiment God, that's why Jimi asks -Are you experienced?-

cool

It's really sad that our friends cannot be with us today, the machine did its part well and the message got home.

Mercury and Venus being closer to the Sun know the cycle we're going to enter before we enter it so therefore they are the messengers and principal natural satellites that we listen while we write or design a further confection for an style that doesn't find its own form maybe.

bump for bjork discussion

this is like autism injected into my veins

we get it, you like Grimes

>as talented as bjork, as quirky as bjork, as versatile as bjork and as acclaimed as bjork

why wouldn't you also include popularity, thats also integral to what made Bjork an icon. It would also be relevant to the question of the "new bjork".

also

> as quirky as bjork

"quirky" isn't what made Bjork standout you idiot. Bjork stood out as a completely unique and singular personality, Grimes is a complete carbon copy of thousands of woman on a website called tumblr

he's just good at being an asshole

bjork was a "tryhard" at first, too.
though that term fits neither.
grimes is from Vancouver and Montreal, not really a recipe for "tryhard".
not everyone fits easily into those categories that make life easy for you to understand.

you say category way too much

bjork absolutely wasnt a try hard, wtf, have you watched any interviews from the Debut era? she was nervous sure, but she acted exactly as she does now.

>Vancouver and Montreal, not really a recipe for "tryhard"

sounds like you've never been to either of those places, or interacted with any artists from those places