Mad Max: Fury Road

>mfw just watched Mad Max Fury Road for the first time
Oh what a film, what a lovely film

I'm trying to decide now if it was a masterpiece or not. I'm leaning very heavily towards yes it is.

>The frantic pacing and editing
>The epic grand scale feel with all those stunt actors especially that scene in particular scene in the beginning where max tries to escape. Felt like an old school Hollywood scene from epics back then like Lawrence of Arabia and Metropolis
>That world building
>That Immortan Joe
>Them War Boyz being WITNESSED
>That absolutely stunning cinematography

I think it's 5/5 film. What did you guys think??

is there another home release for this shit to explain your shilling?

>car go broom broom fast

its a movie for 6 year old boys

No. I watched it on hbo go. I had refused to watch it after the shit storm you guys threw on here about it being a bullshit movie

I was bored and hbo go has a shitty fucking selection of movies only a couple of them are great and I haven't watched yet. Saw a trailer for this when I was finishing up Oz and I was finally sold

So glad I watched it

These feels like a troll post, but I largely agree.

I'd have to watch it at least once again to decide if it qualifies as a "masterpiece" or not, however in the face of it's peers from the last decade it no doubt stands above.

It really did a good job of everything and honestly, if someone said "Make a movie that is 4/5th car chase" I imagine 9/10 people would have shit it up.

Really stands out and probably my favorite movie in some time.

It's not a masterpiece

its a 6/10 and only because i like tom hardy

It's more than that. Like I said it flaunts that epic feel in movies that we don't get anymore

And by epic I don't mean the Sup Forums meme

I understand it's an action movie but this movie delivers tons of action. It's up there with the classic action movies in my opinion

Not trolling. When it comes to movies I'm a very visual guy. I love style and a director that has lots of it.

I didn't really dig the other mad Max movies that much but in this one Miller gives us tons of style. The movie was also gorgeous. Every scene there was so much to take in. Red being my favorite color this movie had tons of it

Ok but it's not a masterpiece

>it flaunts that epic feel in movies that we don't get anymore

I completely agree user. I saw it on my laptop and it was still 100x more epic and spectacular, in the fullest meaning of the words, than most of what I see in the cinema. Just exhilarating. Wish I'd seen it in the cinema when it came out.

How pissed are u at this autists for talking you out ever seeing it on the big screen?

Action movie done right

Feel bad because I'll never get to see it in the big screen

It must have been an amazing experience

I learned my lesson though. It's hard cause they were riling up people pretty good and were raising some valid points.

When it comes to Ghostbusters and Sausage party they were right but I had already decided they were going to be shit. With this I was unsure

It's very, very good and has a high rewatch value. In a different league altogether than the cape shit we have been given in place of real men's action movies recently.

I don't think it's quite a masterpiece though because the best action scenes and music happen earlyish in the film; by the time they double back and fight Important Joe, I was a bit weary of it all.

Also Tom Hardy is painfully average as MM, even his wardrobe is dull. Pales in comparison to Gibbo in MM2.

I guess people have different standards when it comes to masterpiece

I know I try to use that rating sparingly

What do you consider a masterpiece? And also what do you think is another masterpiece in the modern day?

>listening to Sup Forums
>ever

Got free tickets for it one day with a coworker and went straight back the next day with a bunch of friends. 10/10, literally.

Remember now how close I was to watching it at the cinema

>Feel like watching a new movie
>Tell gf about it this one
>She says it might be cool
>I picked a capeshit movie last time we went so it's her turn
>She fucking picks Ted 2 because dude weed lmao jokes

I'd consider Barry Lyndon a visual masterpiece. One I might consider a modern masterpiece is The Tree of Life, but I'm aware a lot of people would disagree with that opinion.

I loved this the first time I watched it in the theater, but I tried to rewatch it recently and I just got bored. Movie's well made and has great action and all, but there's just not much more to it imho.

Road Fury has the BEST use of eye trace in any film.

Its perfect, unnoticeable, and makes the action amazingly smooth.

>That world building

That what ?

I'd disagree with both. Visually, Beyond the Black Rainbow is the most amazing shit I've seen in a long time.

Tom Hardy was rather plain. Don't know if that's how his character was supposed to be or because he didn't have much screentime or what

The movie was metal as fuck though. Even had that guy with a flamethrower guitar

It's an incredibly well-crafted action movie with a nice simple story and character motivations that actually make sense. Movies like these used to be pretty common, but compared to the fucking slop we get these days it really is exceptional.

I want to say it's the best action movie since the first Matrix. Am I missing anything that would stack up against them?

Sucked balls

you'd know about that

Not because of the girl hero but because it was retarded

A lot of chink/gook films
>13 assassins
>the raid films
>on-bak
>the grandmaster
>the good, the bad and the weird

Also
>collateral

The Matrix was shit tebehe.

>Ted 2

I'm so sorry user

yeah this movie doesn't get enough credit for how easy the action is to follow despite how chaotic everything is with all the different vehicles (and factions) involved

It's a 2 hour car chase and a whole lot of fun.

If the snobs here don't care for it whatever. It was a fun flick.

>Oh what a film, what a lovely film

>>>/reddit/

>tree of life

A true kinography

>He enjoyed Nu Male Road

yes it is

MM:FR does what it does very well. The action elements and visual effects were excellent.

But MM himself were incredibly irrelevant to the movie. He spends what feels like the first 20 minutes chained up like a bitch. He had no lines or even character. For a re-boot they sure didn't but a lot of emphasis on the titular character.

The movie doesn't really deliver anything but one long car chase. The plot can literally be summed up in one sentence. That's fine, but they sure didn't push any boundaries in the storytelling department. The lack of any real plot made the movie feel a bit shallow. All sparkle and glitter, but no meat.

Definitely a good movie, but not a masterpiece.

DUDE.

Hell freakin YES. This movie was comfy as FUARK and CUHRAYZEE.

>dat warboys
>dem practical effects
>dat furiosa
>dat comfy atmosphere

I got home from the gym and popped open a bottle of water and watched this the other day. Like i said yo, fuckin comfy.

where my MAX BROS at?

Asian action movies are a good showcase for fight choreography but they're piss-poor at telling stories or having well-written characters.

Same reason I didn't include John Wick or Hardcore Henry. An action movie can't JUST have action, it has to have the complete package.

Great choices desu. Have yet to see either but I've heard great things from both

My favorite Kubrick film thus far is Eyes Wide Shut because again I'm a sucker for colorful dreamlike movies. Paths of Glory was also pretty amazing. Need to watch that one though

Malick always on point with everything he does. Days of Heaven is my favorite thus far along with Badlands. So much heart in both. Tree of life has been in my watchlist for a long time haven't been able to download yet. I'm hoping it'll live up. The thin red line had gorgeous shots so I hope it's even better.

As far as visually impressive I'd have to go with Malick and Tarkovosky though. As far as modern enter the void was really nice to look at and doing a lot of interesting things but the movie itself was crap. I'd have to go with chunking express or in the mood for love as far as modern

>The plot can literally be summed up in one sentence.
Try

>a high rewatch value

So rewatchable, excellent music. I would just sit in the theater and smile like an autist knowing what awesome scenes we about to unreel

Did you even see Road Warrior or Thunderdome?

>tfw you saw this film in the movie theater
I went in expecting a soulless cash-in and got one of the best action movies I have ever seen. Not to mention seeing the whole thing on the big screen with a cinema sound system was definitely worth it.

Those that I listed are good at storytelling tho. And I forgot one

>the man from nowhere
Literally reduced me to tears.

The world of Immortan Joe and basically Max's world

The cars and how their outiftted. The way the war boys and others have learned to attack like using the poles to swing onto cars. Valhalla and small things like that

It's overrated and garbage, pleb.

I still have to watch this. I'm told it's like the festivals I attend.

>Great choices desu
>Haven't seen either

Wot?

Yes exactly. Some directors get too convoluted with what their doing when simplicity would have worked best

There's no need to complicate things in your movies just to be cool.

>The Raid
>good storytelling

Dude. No.

It was a terrible fucking movie

Fuck you Seth MacFarlane

Good for what it aimed to do. The 2nd one actually did have good storytelling.

This.

Collateral was really damn good though.

>masterpiece

Shut the fuck up, you stupid ass millennial retard. It's garbage no substance video game nufilms like this that have murdered this entire artfom.

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for putting this slop on the same level as the true masterpieces of cinema.

>that scene where they're chasing each other into the storm in IMAX

muh dick

Movie felt more metal than nu male to me senpai

The war boys and white guys in the movie were pretty based which is refreshing to see. Usually they're lame nowadays

It's a masterpiece of what it is, but what it is isn't particularly subtle or deep. It's not high art or anything, and isn't a masterpiece in the sense of an art house masterpiece or anything. It's not Un Chein Andalou or Citizen Kane or Blue Velvet or anything. It's a simple action film, but it's a masterpiece as far as they go, same as Die Hard is.

It's not a terribly important masterpiece and movie snobs won't view it as such, but in terms of it's genre and peers it is.

>senpai
>based
>metal

hello Sup Forumseddit

I can't knock either because I haven't seen them but I respect them because it's malick. And I hear good things about both. Glad he didn't say a clockwork Orange or Shinning for Kubrick. I was expecting that

>red being my favourite colour

Sup Forums in charge of film critique

>Un chien andalou

Goes to show how much you know about cinema.

>blue velvet
Surprisingly good taste tho, best Lynch

Shut you stupid ass triggered nigger

>>>/Lgbt/

>red is my favourite color
>movie had lots of red
Such a masterpiece.

>I want to say it's the best action movie since the first Matrix. Am I missing anything that would stack up against them?

Sure, but you'll just keep moving the goalposts for what constitutes important elements to the plot... Then again, how about describing the plot in a way that convinces me that it's deeper than at first glance?

>A bunch of people try to escape a ruthless ruler and his men in a high speed car chase across the wasteland.

Yes? Those were also good movies? Thunderdome especially delivered more variation in locations and events throughout the movie.
Mel Gibson delivered a better character.

we've come so far that max eats double-headed lizards and turns into sir gruntsalot without even for one second matching the charismatic performance mels delivered with his interpretation over 30 years ago

what a wonder also that whereas in road warrior everyone was hunting for gas because it was so rare and precious here this seems to be not an issue. even less so considering that the villain has a party bus in his entourage with a freak who plays a flame-shooting guitar. and all of the characters drive through the desert for days because re-fuiling is of no concern. gasoline seems to exist aplenty. water not so much, therefore the baddie advises not to get addicted to it. like you can go without i

the digital look of the film, combined with its use of CGI, makes it easily the ugliest film in the series maybe even of this year. the plot a plot? is basically non-existent and where it shimmers through (like zoe kravitz nipples through her shirt) it just proves to be ludicrous, in a film that feels like three hours because it's that repetitive. this is man of shit all over again: one action scene that we have to watch over and over and over. they're driving, shooting, explosions, driving, explosions, shooting, driving, shooting, explosions. after 45 minutes I struggled to keep my eyes open and awake due to it's lack of anything interesting
maybe miller should return to making animated films about dancing penguins

simply put cirque du soleil for bros.

How so?

You see this guy right here below
>Actually arguing his points in a rational way that makes me have to think of how to back up what I'm saying.

Un Chien Andalou isn't one I rate personally, but it tends to crop up in lists of masterpieces. It's not my cup of tea.

Of the three I mentioned Blue Velvet was actually the one I enjoyed most. The Kane, then Andalou I suppose but it wouldn't make even a top 100 for me tbqh.

I was going to see it on opening weekend but my pupper died that day so I didn't see it.

Imagine the first fag that wrote this pasta, hoping that someone will read it. It must have been posted dozens of times and still, no one read it. Nice blog bruh.

Apparently the new Mad Max movie will be set underwater. Thoughts?

Agreed

This movie is mad max for the video game crowd

>He's a blue guy

>Waterworld 2 that is to Fury Road what Waterworld was to Road Warrior

I would want to see that.

The should call it Waterworld!

But nah, that sounds horrible.

>agreeing with copypasta

Wew lad

>for hue

In terms of direction and editing it's as good as filmmaking gets

Better than agreeing with Sup Forumseditors that say things like "fun", "basedxD" and "kino"

Not really.

>The Godfather
>A man gets caught up in the family business.

>Memento
>A man can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago

>Apocalypse Now
>a man goes up a river to catch a defected officer

See? I can do halfassed plot descriptions too.

You could sum up any movie like that though.

>Rear Window
>A man with a broken leg spies and his neighbor's and witnesses a crime

See? And don't you guys tell me Rear Window was not a masterpiece

He just sits in his window just like a car chase for two hours. That's how some movies used to be.

That's what you get for watching capeshit at the cinema. Serves you right.

this and The Raid

Are we talking underwater domes? Because that would be pretty cool.
I personally would prefer some underground bunker complex though where Mel Gibson is some sort of sheriff.

These are the right opinions.

Ignore the /r9k/ autists who had a shit-fit over the "feminist" plotline even though most of the women were killed off due to being stupid cunts or due to sheer ineptitude, when they weren't busy nearly getting Max/Furiosa killed, that is and recognize that this is probably the best action movie since Terminator 2, and may well be the last "great" big-budget action film that we ever see.

George Miller finally made his dream, which was to make a Mad Max movie with a Waterworld-budget, and 25 years after the fact it was every bit as spectacular as we'd all hoped it would be.

The only problem I had with it was that it was in development hell for 20 years (pic related is from the late 90's, which explains a lot of the "Tank Girl" aesthetic), and because of that, it didn't feature based Mel "dragging kikes behind my dirt bike" Gibson in the title role.

A Mad Max: Fury Road filmed in ~2000 with Tank Girl aesthetics, Wild Wild West-tier SFX and Mel Gibson in the title role as originally intended would have probably the greatest action movie of all time.

Is a trash movie, just doesn't feel post apocalyptic at all, is just comic trash

Rear window was boring as sin

I'd also literally cum my pants if we ever get to see THIS motherfucker in the sequel.

Sticking tires on a train and driving it on land has been one of my greatest lifetime ambitions.

Literally 10/10 the movie. Watched it twice in the cinema and 3 times home in 2015.

The world building reminds me of planescape.

In both cases its based on something established (high fantasy/post apocalypse) but its taken so far to such extremes it becomes something rather alien with few things we recognize.

I just love that.

What? It was exhilarating. Just as much as Psycho. More so than Vertigo

dubs of truth

>mfw Sup Forums would be in love with this if it wasn't for the mild feminist undertones

christ you guys are such babies

It's only a good film if you interpret the ending as Max ditching them knowing they were all as delusional as the War Boyz. It's really the only real world sensible conclusion.

This is why morning Sup Forums is so much better than afternoon -night Sup Forums

You can't have any discussion during that time. Threads are always moving so fucking fast and there's so much shitposting threads.

Late night Sup Forums and morning Sup Forums are best idk why other people haven't realized this by now