Farscape was better than Stargate by a country mile but didn't spawn such a franchise

Farscape was better than Stargate by a country mile but didn't spawn such a franchise.

Was it too weird?

Comfygate was clearly superior.

Only comparatively to more mainstream SF shows. Lexx was the really weird one that made Farscape seem vanilla.

Lexx was even weirder than Farscape
Andromeda was shit
aside from most of Atlantis the SG series' were pretty amazing

Farscape has more to fap to, you mean.

I liked this show when I was twelve, as much as liked stargate. I still watch stargate now and again, but when I gave this another spin it just didn't do anything for me except for the first episode. Not really sure why but it all just seemed a bit stale and super campy. Sword guy looked totally retarded too. It might be better than stargate, but not for me, and certainly not by a country mile.

I think the first season was probably too slow.

Those who stuck with it stayed until the end, but I think lots of people walked away from it when the first season rarely changed from it's MOTW format (except the ending of S1)

Except unlike Lexx, Farscape has great writing, acting and puppets.

The pilot episode of Lexx is excellent but everything after that is garbage

>Farscape was better than Stargate by a country mile

Nonsense, Farscape was all about the costumes, make-up, puppets and other art, with a half-assed story tacked on as an afterthought.

I never said lexx was good or better though
maybe in season 1 of farscape
from 2 onward they had recurring plot points and characters

Lexx was just bizarre x10000. Goddamn Germans man. But, really fun to watch

Farscape is more about the characters than anything else, unlike in Stargate where the character development moves at a snail's pace if at all. Also are you somehow implying that the Stargate shows have good story arcs? kek

Having attempted to rewatch Farscape I got stuck around the end of S2, it feels like a slog because there are quite a few shitty episodes.

>Andromeda was shit

It's a shame because it has a good premise and universe but it's just so fucking cheesy or outright bad, they can only blame so much on a low budget.

I love Farscape, I like SG1 and Atlantis. I thought the Wraith and the Ori could have been alot more epic.
Farscape had superior design, puppets, story, everything. I barely consider stargate sci-fi, it was too much aimed at normies.
Both franchises are comfy as fuck, I loved that Browder and Black joined SG1 later on, and was devastated they got axed and replaced by SGU which was a terrible BSG ripoff.

>Having attempted to rewatch Farscape I got stuck around the end of S2, it feels like a slog because there are quite a few shitty episodes.
Are you serious? The second half of season 2 is great, not a single bad episode. If you could make through season 1 it makes no sense why you're having issues finishing season 2.

And after that is season 3 which is incredible

It's funny because I was never into SG-1 or Farscape. Just started SG-1 recently though and almost finished with season 9. I really miss that late 90's aesthetic though :-\. Also far less black people was good while it lasted

>I never made it past season 1
good to know

>I like SG1 and Atlantis. I thought the Wraith and the Ori could have been alot more epic.

I loved SG-1 but couldn't get on with Atlantis, universe I never even watched it just looked meh.

Can they ever make a good franchise again? No networks are going to give a series a chance to grow these days, it would have to be an instant hit which normally means too normie friendly.

I like the Stargate series better because the main characters never get into relationships with each other. Once everyone on Farscape started fucking, I lost interest over all the stupid drama.

There was drama, but I don't think it was ever stupid. The writers and actors handled everything quite well, elevating what could be bad melodrama into something far better than that.

It's amazing they managed to make a guy who looks a ridiculous as Scorpius be as threatening as he was. He went from "are they being serious with that costume" to one of my favorite villains.

Doesn't take much to be better than Stargate honestly, it's like saying seinfeld is better than the big bang theory

It's completely unrealistic that O'Neill didn't fuck the shit out of Carter

We can dream

I dunno I think the series is just a lot of effort to watch especially having seen it all before, you have to pay attention but at the same time it takes it's time going through the motions.

Like I got through the three parter where Cricton has to marry the princess because he is a DNA match and was a slog when I knew everything was going to be back to normal at the end.

that's a bit too hyperbolic.

It's more like saying Blackadder is better than Everybody Loves Raymond

His woman assistant when we first meet him is fucking hot I want to get raped by her.

Wanna lick Aeryn's sweat.

Guys, I think we have to consider another possibility here. What if [insert complex and pointless scientific jargon here]

Make it so.

only her gooch sweat

Wanna lick all of it.

Should Australia work with murrka more in scifi?

>English please, Carter...

>still hot 10 years on

Well Jack what I "think" Carter is trying to suggest is we [insert completely passive resolution to the problem here]

She was easily the most irritating character on sg-1 in the history of t.v

I love Look at the Princess, and it's such a huge turning point for the relationship between Crichton and Aeryn. That ending where they do the match test and then smile to themselves is pure gold

Anyway, I've watched the entire show three times and every time I found myself loving it even more than the last. It's the characters that keep me coming back, the stories and episode plots are secondary.

>Yeah Daniel, or we could just blow it up!

I think spelled sexiest minx in scifi wrong

Eh I liked her it was all getting a bit stale at that point and Farscape Man is not a particularly interesting character in SG1.

I would not advise that Colonel O'Neil

Yeah, idk if it's just his acting ability though but he's just way too plain

ok ok comprimise inc, we'll only blow it up a little bit

don't you dare raise that eyebrow Teal'c, SO HELP ME GOD

>She was easily the most irritating character on sg-1 in the history of t.v
I fucking hated her and her tryhard relationship with Daniel.

He deserved way better then her slut character.

that's exactly what I mean, she was basically the whole cause of them finding out about the ori and all of the other bullshit they had to deal with her stealing everything all the time and causing more problems. She was annoying as fuck

come on now boys, if you didn't think she was fun and sexy as hell I dunno what's wrong with you, she made stargate fun as hell

BOTH ARE GOOD FUCK YOU FOR MAKING ME CHOSE

Yes im mad

I'm with you man, when it comes to sci-fi everyone wants to make these stupid divisions, I fucking love everything: star trek, star wars, stargate, farscape, bsg, I don't know why people shoot themselves in the foot

Implying Daniel wasn't the biggest man whore of a character. Before he became Space Jesus, of course.

It's not his fault the ladies love a highly intelligent but awkward qt. Although, I'll admit I really loved him pre haircut. He turned into a sort of know-it-all dick after that.

I'm really enjoying Dark Matter, the Expanse, and Stranger things. After Sci fi being a dead genre since the end of Battlestar I feel like we're almost back to the late nineties quality. Dark Matter even feels like a late 90s camp Scifi

On top of that, it becomes increasingly more character-driven and to the point where if you haven't been following the show you'll have no fucking clue what is going on. That means very few new viewers beyond those who started watching in season 1 or season 2

The truth is the show has remained quite obscure until the few years with it now being available on practically every streaming service. I personally watched it for the first time on DVD, years after it ended.

Black Adder is better than Raymond, and Lexx was a fucking blast to watch.

>Black Adder is better than Raymond
well obviously

>Lexx was a fucking blast to watch
I loved it as a kid but trying to rewatch it now I couldn't even finish season 2

Well, he did die and was ascended like what, 2 times? Probably got sick of dying all the time

Hey speaking of which, I never watched Battlestar Galatica. Is it worth a watch?

Considering its one of the best Sci fi series ever made; yes. The ending is kinda weak but the journey is fantastic

Definitely. Miniseries and first two seasons are great. Seasons 3 & 4 are more of a mixed bag but still good

That would be lexx.

Which episode is this?

I love both.

Farscape wasn't really that weird (this is from someone who started watching Lexx at the ripe old age of 8). I just had (in my opinion) a slow-ish pace which resulted it not getting that popular.

>mfw we could have had a full season to handle the Peacekeeper Wars but it got cancelled

At least we got the miniseries.

Not sure of the exact episode but I know it's early season 4

Lexx is awful, mostly because of the terrible characters. I hate that fucking robot head so much

I agree.

Blake's 7 was better, tho.

Farscape, while unconventional, was still a ship-based scifi show - there's dozens of them, while Stargate was an Earth based one.

Let's face it, Stargate was the more innovative show.

I still like both and want new shows (Roland Emmerich can burn in hell for "restarting" Stargate)

How the hell was Stargate innovative? It's about as derivative as it gets. It's Star Trek with a contemporary Earth setting, how original.

Meanwhile Farscape was airing episodes that no other show would have the balls to even attempt, webm related

>Star Trek

Nah, it's "Murrica Fuck yeah" in space, heavy reverse engineering of alien tech, finding friends and allies because Earth itself sucks and there's alyways a bigger threat.

Normal military dealing with high tech aliens is something new because the shows before was high tech humans and high tech aliens.

>Was it too weird?
That, and it wasn't episodic enough. Sure there are plenty of problem-of-the-week episodes but the character arcs and relationships are really complex and confuse people who haven't been watching for a while.

Contrast that to something like Stargate SG-1 where it just easy-to-understand characters and stories with no arcs to speak of. You can start watching any episode and follow what is going. Same reason all of those case-of-the-week shows like Law & Order are so popular, no learning curve

They still just took the Trek formula and copy-pasted it. The Enterprise becomes the SGC, SG-1 is the away team and they explore new planets and civilizations. All of which for some reason look like Canada

Even the way the episodes are structured and plotted mirror Star Trek

Sci-Fi was usually separated into "Ship" show and "Spacestation" show. Stargate didnt really fit either description, had some of both but mixed everything very well and avoided the monster of the week crap fairly good.

To compare Stargate Universe failed because it was a "Ship" based show, a thing which existed since before the first Startrek, a re-heated concept doomed to fail.

>I'm standing in your heart and i'm about to sqeeze.

Most badass delivery of any line ever.

I agree that it had a setting unlike previous sci-fi shows, but that doesn't make it "innovative." If I decided to remake Star Trek but have it take place under a mountain with a wormhole machine it doesn't suddenly become an original product. It's a nice little twist, but it's still extremely similar to Star Trek, especially The Next Generation. Hell, half of the episodes are almost identical plot-wise to episodes of TNG.

>I agree that it had a setting unlike previous sci-fi shows, but that doesn't make it "innovative.

Ok, let's call it "different" instead.

Fact is Startrek, each one, was like the united nations in space.
>Hurr, Federation has banned import of Romulan ale as sanctions against Romulan activity on the demilitarized border

Meanwhile the Stargate setting is like Somali warlords in space.

^ This.

but yeah, the whole show was still too weird to be accepted by mainstream Science Fiction. I personally preferred SG, but still a good show none the less. Even SG was not accepted by Mainstream all that much.

Hence why I think the show would have worked better today because of it's more serialized nature.

Universe sucked

FINALLY! I AM NOT ALONE!!!!

What retard tells you its good?

I like both but Farscape is that one series I can come back to again and again and love it. It's probably because of Scorpius, my single favorite villain (or is he??)