Has anyone ever become fluent in another language before...

Has anyone ever become fluent in another language before? I recently became interested in learning German but really don't know the best way to approach it. I've heard rosetta stone is an overpriced scam and not really sure what else to try besides a few vids on youtube. Any tips from a non-native fluent speaker of a different language? How did you start and what were some methods you used to become fluent faster?

Learn Esperanto and Lojban.

Try duolingo, its free

Hi shillery, you've lost, go away

memrise is a good way to learn languages

ive read about that and it seems cool but have heard it's not really for becoming fluent, more about vocabulary building. but thanks ill have to check it out still and see what happens!

Fluent english, german,~french
(Non of my motherlanguages)

wut lol

Duolingo taught me Italian over summer, I'm fluent-ish I guess but pirate Rosetta Stone. Duolingo is the way to go.

ICH BIN EIN MANN

Agreed, I used it for German myself but never kept myself motivated enough to be fluent. Can still understand very basic sentences though.

hahaha funny you say that. almost pirated rosetta stone earlier but decided to wait and see what i decide to use.

start woth some vocabulary and grammar, then move into doing some reading
once you have the foundation it's easy to build on it and it helps immensely to get thinking in the language you're trying to learn

I am -something-something-

I have alot to learn, mango

>Non of my motherlanguages
>fluent in english
ok

ICH BIN EIN BERLINER

But a starts a start, it means 'I am a man'

i speak english german spanish bulgarian and im currently learning korean.
the 4 aforementioned languages are completely fluent and accent-free (even though you could argue that my english sounds british, which is an accent)
just move to a country where people speak the language and get a girlfriend.
its the best and only way to actually learn the language.

My highschool had a phenominal German teacher who taught us to speak fluently in 5 or 6 years. The main word of advice is the persistence moreso than the method. Like... Maybe write down the German name and gender for words on notecards and tape them to the object they are for so you start associating things with their German names. Also study the grammar rules a lot. This is more specific to German but works for any language I would assume. Maybe find some friends who speak what you are learning so you can practice.

You can be fluent in a language without being native. 95% of people will never get to the level of native speakers, but some people just get it very fast, and after few years can get absolutely fluent in a language (especially if they are similar to each other, like spanish and portugese, russian and ukrainian etc)

i think german is pretty fucking hard to learn
but if you need something translated tell me its my first language

Learn basic vocab using any bullshit rosetta stone type, even duolingo, and try to find german communities irl or online to try speaking in. Practicing and being enveloped in a language is far more effective. Watch German shows/music/news and try to understand without the captions but have them there to support/check your knowledge. Feeling the culture and seeing, hearing, reading, and experiencing these all together with a natural human contact is much more effective.

Source: Grew up knowing 4 languages (english being one of the last). Recently picked up a solid Korean foundation and underatand like 80% but lose the balls to speak when I go to Korean markets, but bounce conversation off Korean friends.

How you niggas gonna forget your old pal muzzie?

I am ready to accept the challenge lol

Btw translate: "Erik, you're a faggot"
So i can tell my friend hes a faggot in another language.

Erik du Schwuchtel

Erik ist ne Schwuchtel

Also currently speak and read:
Urdu, Hindi, Bangla, English, Arabic

Learning: Korean
Plan: Chinese

Damn moonspeak!

>Learn Esperanto
This. As an Esperantist, this helped me understand case declension more than anything else.

(OP)
Rosetta stone? Are you for real?

I learnt Angrish before streaming on the Internet was even a thing. Which nowadays might seem nothing special, but good luck if your only way of learning how a spoken language sounds are VHS and casettes, because you are a highschool student in the turn of the century.

Provided that Angrish is a fucking stupid language, what you need are: a grammar book, onto which smash your silly brain. AND A FUCKTON OF CONTENT. Just read and listen Angrish every single moment of your life. Don't read newspaper in your language, go and read them in Angrish. Same thing for books, for movies, videogames etc... Yes your brain will hurt. But nowadays i can't even recall in what language i red that bit or saw that movie, if in Angrish or in my native language.

Also, i need to learn German myself. I should really do that.

Which country are you from? USA?

yeah but if you're saying "non of my motherlanguages" you might be good but you're not fluent

>German
Duolingo is a good starting point. Use that and just look up German phrases/idioms and try to use them. The good thing about German is that English is a germanic language, so the grammar is going to feel extremely similar. Also, German is huge on compound words, so if you don't know the word for something, you can slam a bunch of others together to come up with something similar. (Krankenwagen = Ambulance, Krankenhaus = Hospital)

>learning German
fucking why?
there's no point
nobody speaks it
nobody cares about it
not the language of business
not the language of the arts
not the language of math
not the language of science
not the world's language

there is a reason people are REQUIRED to learn English if it is not your national language

hint: murrica

>required
excuse? i am no learn english because english capitalist. russia communist and communist stronk. die america. putin kill america, american soon be speak russia.

under-rated post

>retard detected

This America made English the language of business, etc.
No reason to learn any language, except English now.
Maybe find another hobby, even a useful one, that is less worthless or applicable to the modern world.

Both false though,
It would be said like "Eric, du bist eine Schwuchtel"

>monolingual
>has anyone learned a second language
Fucking idiot
Because you're too stupid to learn an organic language