Really makes you think

Really makes you think...

still surprises me how people take his opinions seriously

Yeah, even as a critic who's proud of his work, I could never have such a self-important attitude.

That guy is a useless fuck but he is actually just echoing ideas that have been expressed for a long time.

Never trust the artist. Trust the tale. The proper function of a critic is to save the tale from the artist who created it. -- D. H. Lawrence

ANTINY FANDINGO IS THAT U
CAL CHUCKTESTA LOLOLOLOL

>carl wilson at the bottom
he honestly is the biggest retard on earth. but still my favorite music critic because it's funny to read

How did scaruffi even come into discussion on this board?
His website is shit and most of his reviews are in french.

A far more important, creative and intelligent person said that the usefulness of a critic was in that while a piece of art won't change with time, the way people critique that work of art will change. So the value of a critic is in that reviews and ratings say a lot about where a society is standing with it's views, values and behaviours, A critic, then, is not actually talking about the work of art, but about how society (for which he is a spokesman) sees what's being projected by that work of art. Scaruffi is an arrogant useles prick.

Italian, not French. You're right though, his website is really badly designed and organized.

no but if you like more retro, professional-grade, non-memey reviews feel free to check out my site :)

oldnoise.wordpress.com

but he's right.
there are hundreds of soul and R&B singers better than Michael Jackson and there are hundreds of rock and pop singers better than Lennon.

i don't disagree with that. my issue is that he implies that fred durst is a more talented vocalist than lennon and jackson

this is actually hilarious, i like his reviews but everything besides that is just ridiculous.

>and there are hundreds of rock and pop singers better than Lennon.

having a hard-on for avant-garde does not a good critic make, especially when it's not even for musical reasons

He's not wrong.
By "critic" he doesn't mean writer or rater or whatever, he just means the individual who consumes and evaluates the art for themselves. This is just an awkward way of saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Art doesn't hold any value without someone to appreciate it.

False. The work put into it is to be appreciated, even if it comes out shit.
The artist is putting themselves out there however they possibly can.
Fuck off.

What you said doesn't contradict what I said. The work put in can't be appreciated without a critic observing it. (this includes the artist himself, who is a self-critic). In music, it's not about the actual soundwaves (product of the 'artist'), it's about the way they are perceived and the effect they have (product of the 'critic').

These are all true, in addition, true art should be defined by the artist creating specifically to manifest their own spiritual identity and no one else's. Once they create for the appeal to others rather than themselves, the piece loses all artistic value and becomes a product.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but it's like valuing the egg over the sperm. Without the sperm, the impetus for the embryonic stages itself would be absent.
Without the work, critics would be left unemployed.
Fuck you if you honestly think the critic is more important.
Hardly any publication reviewed Not Available by The Residents, and that LP is masterful.

I don't agree with everything he says but his music ratings are damn good.

I only disagree with the last two, everything else is correct.

>implying they are not indeed worst than durst

Yeah I agree. Of course I don't think that a fucking pitchfork writer is more valuable than the residents. Just saying that value of art is decided by the evaluator. If scaruffi had used a word like "evaluator" instead of "critic" then he would have gotten his point across more gracefully.

jesus christ he's fucking delusional. Does that mean he credits himself for his favorite albums and feels pride like he made them? that's insane

That would be something seriously fucked up, kek. He's perfect for this place.

it's just so fucking funny. Like I imagine him listening to VU&Nico or something and just going like "Damn Piero, that's some good shit. Good job". Or like someone goes "The Doors is an excellent album" and he's like "you're welcome" lmao

This guy would fit right in here. I can totally picture Scruffy calling me a pitchfork drone and telling me to get some taste after saying I like Fleet Foxes.

lmao that probably has happened