/jazz/ general

Drummer edition.

Who are your favorite drummers and what are your favorite albums in terms of drums?

Plus talk about all things jazz related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HIH3fNUsbnA
youtube.com/watch?v=1kPXw6YaCEY
youtube.com/watch?v=v0Px3eb_-Kw
youtube.com/watch?v=TiV8QVueu0s
youtube.com/watch?v=qRKAWWs8hUY
youtube.com/watch?v=m7ha2iuEti0
youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0
youtube.com/watch?v=kvdmqDWhrn0
youtube.com/watch?v=jW0AyX22ysg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Favorite drummers would be the Elvin, Blakey, Roach, Jo Jones, Tony Williams, Billy Hart, Al Foster, Lenny White, Brian Blade, Chris Dave, Ari Hoenig, and Eric Harland. I know its a long list but I would feel bad leaving any of these guys out.

Ill try to keep the album list shorter: Clifford Brown & Max Roach (also all the Brown Roach stuff and Saxophone Colossus), Night in Tunisia, Out to Lunch, My Favorite Things, Mwandishi, Agharta, Voyager, Destinations Unknown, etc. stuff with the guys above.

If I were to record an album my wishlist of drummers would be Eric Harland, Jeff Watts, Donald Edward, or Marcus Gilmore. Or Johnathan Blake.

These guys probably wouldn't exist without greats like Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Joe Chambers, and Roy Haynes.

what do you recommend with Al Foster?

The stuff with Miles from the 70s is great, so Agharta, Get Up With It, Dark Magus, etc. He also played with Miles in the 80s and theres some good live stuff from that time. Thats the stuff I most know him from, but he's played around. There's a Dexter album he's on, and a Chris Potter album, lotsa stuff.

Good thread OP.

Tony Williams and Vinnie Colaiuta are legitimately the best drummers of all time in my opinion.

>Clifford Brown & Max Roach
good taste

What do you recommend with Joe Chambers? I haven't heard of him before.

I think pretty much any of the Blue Note albums he's on are great, especially any by Wayne Shorter or Bobby Hutcherson

hey lets sing Wabash

dadum dum da dadum dumt
da dum da dum dum dumt
da dum tahhhhh da dum da dum tah dadum dat dadada dadum tah daduuum

PAUL MOTIAN

bump...

elvin jones is literally fucking god
youtube.com/watch?v=HIH3fNUsbnA
the way he leads into coltranes solo on this is insane

lets post bb

youtube.com/watch?v=1kPXw6YaCEY

1965 whos drummin?

in 6 bb

ELLVIIIINNNNNNNnn

the laid back ride variations @ 4+ min....

fuck i love him

elvin jones.............*can swing*

lol cuz bonham cant!

i unironically do not care for the bonzo man...

Shaggy can't do it but let me tell you something, Bonham was thundering against that Ludwig.

what i didnt get for the longest time as a drummer trained in the rock vein was that a lot of jazz was swung and cut at the same time...found it mind blowing once i put it together... perhaps obvious to some, but truly opened my eyes

hes fucking great, try lisdtening to how the west was won live stuff .... he is defacto amazing

but nothing compares to the skill and freedom of cats like elvin

i just enjoy the joke that he cant swing....

i honestly find this the most beautiful thing ever

for fear of sounding like a tremendous cunt, theres very few rock drummers i can really get down with. they just lack all of the fluidity and personality of the jazzyboys. probably since they cant define themselves based on the width of their 8th note or somehting, idk. most rock drummers that are supposed to be good are just over technical trained monkeys or drunkards bashing the shit out of a perfectly good drums set. also, why in the fuck do rock drummers play cymbals that sound like cock? (i just got back from a gig and ive been drinking)

cuz it is slut

id love to hear the last minute or two of this really clearly, just to hear what the hands are doing, to learn

btw did anyone listen to new ambrose akinmusie record yet?

drinking myself. cheers mate!

>cant define themselves based on the width of their 8th note or somehting, idk

that is an interesting theoretical statement

im not gonna go on a bonham shred, but i will say this: give the west was one shit a listen - go confirm your bias if you like. he's not overly a technician - hes super technically capable, fluid as fuck, so goddam locked in for time, inventive as hell, musical, a pure peer to his mates, so damn free in his phrasing, and stuck in the goddamn groove like a magnetic needle. its frankly unbelievable.

still cant fucking swing.

its just another genre. nothing compares to the cats like elvin tho. just nothing.

ill look for a link now m8

>find out there's a avant-garde jazz subgenre called "Yass"
>listening to some yass

Bretty fucking good t b h

haha nice man. i will give that stuff a listen if i can bare it, even when i was listening almost exclusively to rock music i was never a big zeppelin guy, i dont know why. i do actually have pretty high opinions of the guys in that band and enjoy bonham not being technically flashy or anything. maybe its the song writing, idk cant really get in to them. also i have a pet peeve about the bassist doubling the guitar part, aka every zeppelin bassline, which is upsetting.

oh and about the 8th note. i find that the width of someones 8th note can be a seriiiouussly defining factor of that person. i started thinking about that when i moved up north for school and a teacher of mine was able to identify me as a southerner cause i play with a pretty extremely wide 8th note. since then ive used it as a really strong defining factor for musicians.

thats the really amazingly fluid realm of rhythm

ive never even heard it talked about, except for my own observations on how tight this or another guy swings - but then we're already talking about swinging

if any other related thoughts drift up post em

this needs to be stickied on any jazz drum thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v0Px3eb_-Kw

youtube.com/watch?v=TiV8QVueu0s

these are some hardcore stripper drums with some whip cream on top

some nice bouncing fucking paradiddle swing

youtube.com/watch?v=qRKAWWs8hUY

if you cant do that go home

ill probably having something to say after i smoke this spliff and listen to this shiiiizzz. youtube.com/watch?v=m7ha2iuEti0

ill skip out for a fag then

we on Sup Forums bb

youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0

A fairly considered entry...:

i said we be on mu man

i only saw William Hooker once, late 90s....was cool, was strange

only saw charles gayle once at the knitting factory when it was still on houston street....equally mystifying

like this stuff:

at 10 min is dope

before i go

youtube.com/watch?v=jW0AyX22ysg

master is a master

Anyone have an opinion on pic related?

I'm only just getting into jazz and I like it quite a lot, though bossa nova seems to be more approachable than most jazz for me. Where can I find more? If there's better music like this out there where can I find it?

Mother fuck. That sounds incredible, seeing gayle at the knitting factory. How was it?

Holy shit, this is amazing. I can't stop listening to it.
What are more stuff that are similar to this?
Also I really love Mingus what more should I check out that is similar to him?

Do I have stockholm syndrome, or is Keith Jarrett's moaning an acquired taste?

Who are your favorite drummers and what are your favorite albums in terms of drums?
>Tony Williams
Out to Lunch
>Max Roach
Study in Brown
>Eric Harland
The Sirens
>Elvin Jones
A Love Supreme
>Ed Blackwell
Free Jazz
>Walter Perkins
W/ Art Farmer at the Half Note
>Joe Morello
Take Five
>Philly Joe Jones
Kind of Blue
>Pete La Roca
Basra
>Buddy Rich
Mercy Mercy

bump

Pretty much all the drummers that have already been mentioned. I'll just add in Ed Shaughnessy. A great inspiration to me. Gonna put Gene Krupa and Jim Chapin as well, and Steve Smith from the newer generation of drummers.