Is there any reason to use the cumbersome and painful "traditional" grip in 2017 instead of the far more comfortable...

Is there any reason to use the cumbersome and painful "traditional" grip in 2017 instead of the far more comfortable, flexible, and natural American grip? Besides being a smug holier-than-thou purist.

how dip you take this dicture?

i dont hire drummers that play matched, german, american, or french grip.

drum corps uses it because it looks cooler, jazz drummers use it because it's "faster"

Once you've practiced with it a lot (marching snare for 4 years) it just becomes natural. I frequently use it when I'm jazz drumming so the stick can fall more casually into the snare with less force from me. Also
>painful
You're doing it wrong

I've only just started using traditional, moving from French, and its so much comfier on my left hand

french is basically only useful for timpani, if you are a kit player basically any grip combination is fine, but german matched is the best. sometimes ill do the ride cymbal with french grip but it's preference

>painful
you're doing it wrong

>2017
you're adorable.
you want to use your naïve feeling that today's world is superior to the past as an excuse to limit your musical growth with caveman drumming. mfw

Looks like we found the smug holier-than-thou purist.

Wrong. This is the correct way to play drums.

I guarantee everyone ITT that literally no fucking human being on the planet has ever looked at two sticks, any two sticks, don't have to be drum sticks, and thought, "Gee, you know how I should hold these? I won't just fucking grab them like any fucking normal, sane human being would. I'll just grab ONE of them like any fucking normal, sane human being would. The other, I'll still grab, but I'll first contort my left hand into some ungodly cramping abortion and then just slide the other stick in."
No. You see two sticks, you just fucking grab them from the base. Jesus Christ, why the fuck would anybody use traditional grip? Matched American grip is literally the natural state of holding shit. You have to go out of your way for this fucking "traditional" shit.

When I first started drumming I kind of did a backward traditional grip.
The thing I consider is how the kit is set up and what you're trying to play then decide how want to hold your sticks. Also traditional looks cool.

Drumming is fucking gay and also
matched grip is like literally, physically, mechanically superior

I don't even understand why it's still even a debate at this point

Yes, if you are marching or playing jazz. Not really a mystery- pros/cons are well documented

>drumming is fucking gay

this fucking board

Tbqh I have no idea why anybody gives a shit what jazz drummers think. Those fucks never even use the actual drums, they just fucking tap the cymbals a Iittle bit with their sticks and that's it. That's it, they never fucking use the snare, they don't use the bass drums, they just fucking use the FUCKING CYMBALS

Nice bait.

Point out to me one time in Time Out where the drummer ever uses anything that's not the ride cymbals.

Is that the only jazz album you've ever heard?
Figures.
Also,
>what are ghost notes
>what is snare comping

It's the one album everyone knows.

>to prove my point about an entire genre, here's one album
>oh and i'm wrong about my one example so

Alright, sure, maybe he branches out a bit, but he and basically every other jazz drummer ever MOSTLY only uses the cymbals. Meanwhile, drummers in every other genre aren't retarded and actually use the whole set.

Drummers in other genres completely underutilise the cymbals m8, what you talking about

What about Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington and Luis Armstrong?

Can you fucking stop now that you've been proven entirely wrong. I'm sorry if you can't hear or feel the comping both on the snare and the toms as well as the ghost notes that are present in 90% of jazz records but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. By your rationale it follows that all rock/metal drummers only play quarter notes on the hi-hat because AC/DC mostly played it on one of their albums.

This

From what I've heard they use a lot of the ride cymbal, hi hats, and snare. The rest is used sparingly, but I think with great effect.

>White """Jazz"""

The only reason to hold traditional grip is if your drum is tilted away from the hand holding traditional.

Marching snares only do this because old school drums were hung on slings and really didn't hang straight. Modern harnesses can swivel as to tilt the drum as if it were slung. The grip allows you to reach over a raised rim without accidentally rim shotting

Drum set drummers sometimes use it because nobody told them not too when they were learning, also it looks cool and you can learn to play it nearly as well as standard matched grip

Why dont you just learn how to do it right?

you obviously don't have a lot of experience with beginner drummers.

'cause about 40% of the time this is how they pick up the sticks for the first time.

anyone who learns drum theory or whatever is dumb as fuck
just hit the drums jesus