Set in an universe where technology level is so advanced interstellar travel is possible and artificial intelligence is...

>Set in an universe where technology level is so advanced interstellar travel is possible and artificial intelligence is prevalent
>Yet there is no stem cell therapy and no limb and tissue regeneration technology available despite the ongoing clonning process of troopers
>so Luke and Anakin instead of fully healing themselves opt for crude mechanical augmentation

WHY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Gf5beYCqtU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>They have this!
>But they don't have that!
Weird.

THEY NEVER ASKED FOR THIS

>can clone entire human bodies including minds
>cannot clone limbs or tissues for regeneration purposes

Weird.

>reading into sci-fi/fantasy films

wew

SW is a joke for a sci-fi universe. How come technology hasn't changed at all for over 2,000 years? Heck, some things in KOTOR seem more developed than in the current Skywalker-era.

Bc it's pottery
Vader is half machine and luke is his son

The Chinese had gunpowder at one point but no assault rifles.
Weird.

better question is, when will Rey lose her hand?

I also can't stand that no characters utilize the power of social media. Takes me right out of the story every time.

she'll lose her tits by never growing any

Tech got advanced to a point it became magic and too complex. Understanding it got lost and the universe is huge.

Its fantasy

She needs to lose about 15 lbs.

Budget restrictions at the EmPal SuRecon Center.

Kotor isn't canon anymore. They'll probably establish a more realistic technology development

>comparing separate knowledge of a chemical explosive and mechanics behind building a firearm with one bio-engineering technology where the possibility of one equals the second one.

Weird.

>wanting a feeble human hand instead of a strong, robust cyber arm

what a fucking faggot

The Empire banned cloning tech for everyone but themselves, so it makes sense this life saving technology wasn't available for everyone else.

Damnit user. Now Disney execs are cgi- ing in live tweeting selfie stick light sabres

>the best story set in sw universe is not canon

fuck disney

>The most powerful, technologically advanced army in the history of the universe
>Beaten by teddy bears with sticks
W h o
c a r e s.

It might explain Luke, but how about Anakin? He lost his hand way before Empire was even established.

Cloning tech is fine but they don't know how to graft cloned appendages onto people. For a start, by the time you've cloned up a new arm, the old arm wound has either healed up or they bled to death (because the wound didn't heal).

Could be that there are just limits to what stem cell/cloning tech can do due to the time needed to graft and rehabilitate with them.

So if the choice is to get a cyber hand and be able to fight again in a few weeks or wait months for a new one to be grown, then get it attached, then rehab it for another few months you can see why Luke would go for that one. Organic replacement is probably better in the long run but not everyone can spare the time or would want to when cyber is available.

With Vader he's not just badly fucked up (so organic replacements might not be ready before he dies from his injuries) but the Emperor wants him in pain and angry and isolated, so naturally he's going to go with cyber replacements.

Do we already have something similar irl? something like a fully functional bionic limb?

Those aliens kept their cloning tech a secret since it was their business after all

>Cloning tech is fine but they don't know how to graft cloned appendages onto people.
Damn user, you make everyone in SW sound like actual retards.

Oh that's actually explained. They had to operate on Anakin to save him immediately. No time to vat grow vital organs and entire limbs.

They had basically chop shop him right there and then, which basically made permanent changes to his nerve structure. He'd never be able to organic limbs again.

As for why he got a bionic when he was a Jedi, the Jedi probably don't think cloning limbs gels well with the force.

> stories written before 1984 don't take 1990s level technological awareness into account
> clones weren't even a thing in the SW mythos until the 2000s

the real question is why you're using the internet without your carer nearby

>vietnam
>it aint me starts playing

>cannot tell difference between fat and muscle

Actually he's right.

Being able to tell cells to do what they do (grow a functioning body) but do it fast =/= being able to connect nerve endings from a separetly grown body part with that of a living body.

I mean all we really know, is that they can crudely create a machine that connects to some of the nerves that tell the muscles what to do so they can tell this to robotic appendages. Doesn't mean they are advanced enough to do it to literally every single nerve ending, making the grown body part fully functional.

Besides, a robotic arm can be custom built to work, using input from a select number of the nerves that tell different muscles to do the same thing, while you can't tell an organic arm you didn't design to work with a body that could've damaged most of its nerve endings beyond repair already.

Science isn't magic.
There are unspecific complications with each crippling injury that can call for different approaches that custom built augmentations can deal with in ways that self-made organic replicas just can't do on their own.

Nope but they're working on it. They can make a hand that you control with your thoughts tho so maybe soon

The Clone War is mentioned in A New Hope. Clones have always been in there.

Your new trooper hand would be retarded, though.

That's very informative, thanks for explaining.

i bet she farts hard, violently

>Deus Ex universe is far more technological advanced with nanomachines, singularity and AI-human merging.

wtf I hate Star Wars now

I think it was just there because "Clone War" looked a little modern and futuristic.

Maybe Hack Lucas wasn't actually talking about clones.

What so he could get it chopped off again?

Luke had just lost to the dark side's champion. They needed to rebuild him. They needed to make him better. Stronger. Faster.

Lucas was probably thinking that war, huh, hood god y'all; wars keep happening... the names of the individual wars don't matter. They were the clone wars. All alike.

Because it was made in the 70's and no one knew what the fuck a stem cell was. Although it could be argued that Bacta was a similar concept that promoted better healing they never made the leap to it being able to regenerate a lost appendage.

But in the end it made for a good juxtaposition in RotJ when Luke pauses beating on Vader and realises he's becoming like him, "more machine than man".

I dunno man why are their holographic projections so low-res and snowy

This is one of the main attractions of SW universe, interlacement of crude old stuff and amazing new technologies. It's shown even better in games, with usage of vibroswords in hand-to-hand combat, old Sith civilization still using wicker baskets despite having access to FTL travel, and overall in architecture and clothing. Creates an amazing atmosphere.

Maybe with the millions of different species medical science was neglected in favour of robotics which could be applied to any species regardless of their biochemistry.

>Set in an universe where technology level is so advanced interstellar travel is possible and artificial intelligence is prevalent
>Yet women still regularly die during childbirth to the extent that it became a legitimate fear for Anakin

WHY

You mean that the wars were clones?

I was gonna say no thats retarded but as previously stated: lucas is a hack

>I fought in the Clone Wars, same as your father. . .

underrated

It was made in the 70s you gotta remember that

The 1970s weren't the Dark Ages, the sci-fi genre damn well knew about cloning and had been telling stories utilizing it for decades.

>KOTOR
>Good story

>Amnesia
>I Was the Revan All Along?
>We can do it if we work together with the power of friendship!

It was a fear because it never happens

In the original trilogy the rebels were scrounging for tech, I doubt they would have access to cloning equipment

in the prequels lucas did it for pottery, chalk it up to another thing that makes no sense

>I'm glad I could return you to the Light Side, Bustilla. Now truly we are, as we once were, Knights of the Old Republic.(TM)

Jokes aside like most Bioware stuff, the good things are on the sidelines, which isn't a good excuse, but still. There are a few good things in there.
youtube.com/watch?v=5Gf5beYCqtU

Because Lucas was ripping off Frank Herbert's Dune universe where extremely advanced technology exists alongside futuristic hack-jobs because of the Butlerian Jihad, etc, which in turn was probably inspired by shit like the Roman Empire who could effectively rule an empire covering a landmass the size of the Soviet Union, build continent-spanning highways, reinforced concrete megastructures, and provide sanitation to millions of city inhabitants that was better than anything seen afterwards until the advent of the 20th century, all without ever inventing effective long-distance communications or a system of medical practice that was appreciably more advanced than what the Egyptians had practiced 4000 years before them and without actually advancing technologically between ~400BC and ~500AD.

Their society worked so well as it was that nobody ever really felt the need to do any better than the way things were at the time.

So in that context, the idea of a spacefaring civilization that has remained technologically stagnant for 2000+ years, with near-instantanous FTL transport and communications but a medical system that's barely more advanced than what we have today, doesn't seem THAT farfetched.

But realistically, this.

Or it was a Roman Empire sort of situation where there were so many people of different races/cultures that human life was considered to be essentially disposable and so their society had no real interest in meaningful attempts to prolong it.

It would be cool if some SW EU writer had created some sort of in-universe Butlerian Jihad situation where medical science and the quest for immortality was considered to be an abomination and an attempt to circumvent the natural cycle of life-->death, and attempts at things like regenerative cloning are seen in the same light as the Ixian thinking machines were in the Dune universe.