Is there ONE thing in this show that isn't a "homage" to someone else's work?

Is there ONE thing in this show that isn't a "homage" to someone else's work?

One unique concept? Just one... please tell me.

Not sure. Doesn't matter either way; most things in general have been done before.

The down syndrome samoan kid doesnt seem to be an homage

bump

there is paying homage and not being afraid to recognise and showcase your love for something...

...and there is outright theft.

Learn to differentiate

Plenty of other great movies have been a synthesis of pre-existing ideas and concepts. This includes many great 80's films this show homages. Spielberg, Carpenter and others did this sort of thing a lot.

DELET THIS

this pretty much familia

Indiana Jones was Spielberg's and Lucas' attempt to pay homage to adventure films/comics of the 30s and 40s.

Was this a good series? Reddit is shitting its pants over how great it was, but I'd like a second opinion.

yes

Try forming opinions of your own for once without worrying about which websites do or don't like something.

people from reddit post here equally, except for a minority who are Sup Forums purists

it's nostalgia exploit to the max
short answer: yes

>implying I don't already do that
>implying Sup Forums is one person

Going by that logic, we shouldn't have reviews, critics, or even voice our own opinions. Fuck off I'm not sitting through an entire TV show just to see if its good.

And Star Wars
And Close Encounters
And American Graffiti
And 1941
And Jaws

The point is, those directors took things they loved from their childhoods and combined and switched things around to make their own thing. The Duffer's have done the same with their childhood favorites which also happened to be referential of older media. Alien was a 50's sci-fi movie, The Thing is a remake of a 50's sci-fi film, and so on. The 80's was all about turning things on their heads. Too many people think that the 80's were a profound decade in originality, when it really isn't. Most media is based on an older idea or concept and every single thing does it. Nothing it truly original.

They basically were like

>alright, remember that kinda lame show Wayward Pines we made? How about we remake it but with 80's galore and a slightly different nefarious government motive.

Why is it called Stranger Things? Stranger than what? Why not just call it Strange Things?

i just started watching this show, feels they they're just thowing in subtle 80s movie references as they go

>ET bikes
>DnD
>goonies
>fat molly ringwalt
>terminator 2
>dead zone
>evil government gets mixed up with kids

does it get better?

I'm trying really hard to think of one original thing about it but I literally can't.

"Good artists borrow. Great artists steal." Picasso

no, I was agreeing with you famalamashakalaka

Yeah, but they don't literally copy & paste sequences and shots as shamelessly or lazily like they did with ST. I used to criticize Tarantino for doing this, but even he isn't as bad as the creators of ST.

See , even though Indiana Jones was an homage to adventure serials, and Star Wars was supposed to be Buck Rogers, they don't shamelessly plagiarize from their influences. Homage and Influence don't mean rip-off.

Take for example The Hidden Fortress, the kurosawa film. Anyone who has seen that and Star Wars will immediately recognize the influence it had on Lucas. However, in this case Lucas took something that he loved and then put his own spin on it, turning it into something new entirely.

I think the big problem with all of this is that ST did nothing new with "pre-existing ideas and concepts", it's just a mashup of references and homages strung together by a cliched storyline.

Exactly, and ST is "outright theft".

exactly

Indiana Jones literally steals his costume from Allan Quatermain serials. The beginning of Raiders is a direct copy of a Scrooge McDuck comic. The entirety of the film is almost a complete remake of "Secret of the Incas" from 1954. The crawl from Star Wars is copied from Buck Rogers.You literally posted a comparison between Hidden Fortress and Star Wars with incredibly similar shot compositions in a similar enviroment. Lucas is well known for taking shots from Kurosawa and directly applying them to his movies.
They do shamelessly plagiarize and were criticized even at the time for being derivative of older things.
The only reason that Stranger Things seems more direct is that you grew up with the things that it references. There is nothing "new" in Star Wars. It's a pastiche of Lucas' childhood and film school influences.

we already know you are baiting, we just like to hold a conversation.

>they don't shamelessly plagiarize from their influences

Indiana Jones was set in the 30s. His name wasn't Michael Viper and he wasn't a tough but fair cop from Los Angeles who broke all the rules while sporting a modest mullet.

Where the fuck have you been?
Millenials don't like original ideas.
They like patchworks of references to other work that is commonly accepted as "good" or "cool."

That's why anything "le retro" is instantly awesome.

That's why the ST soundtrack is getting rave reviews even though it's just a shittier Carpenter-lite.

He's literally the truffle shuffle kid from the goonies.

unlike its 80s influences, it's actually good

>that guy that hasn't seen any of the movies the show is referencing so he gets confused when people point out the blatant references

The monster itself was pretty unique even though it was just like a venus fly trap with a human body

on second thought, you know what, the monster felt very silent hillish so I take that back

There's nothing wrong with paying homage. The series is fucking great in HOW it pays homage. It's so damn comfy

Dysplasia?

>implying anything presents a unique concept
>2016

How could they know so much about the LotR movies? Isn't the series sopposed to be in the 80's?

Why did you even post this?

It's an incomplete phrase.
It's a title, not a sentence. It doesn't need to
add up completely, just frame the aesthetic somewhat.

"Stranger things have happened"

i liked it. good kid actors, my waifu is shit in it, theres a qt skeleton

if you like stephen king, spielberg and carpenter sound tracks you'll probably enjoy it.

if you dont like those things, then dont worry about it

he's /ourguy/, get fucked

I watched an old Hanna Barbera episode of Space Ghost and I swear to god it was shot for shot Ewoks vs. Empire in Return of the Jedi.

I wouldn't even be surprised. Maybe not an intentional homage but something buried deep in George or Marquand's minds while storyboarding.

because I could

wow she's quite the obvious jewess in this
in ST it's barely noticeable

What makes it obvious that shes a jewess? its not like her nose is huge or anything

General features, it's hard to point out a specific feature that gives it away. She has a "jew face" there, even without the nose. She kinda reminds me of Adrien Brody there. And when I said it's "barely noticeable" in ST, I take that back. It's not noticeable at all. I wouldn't be able to tell she is a jewess just from looking at her in ST.

is this show basically Elfen Lied?