Why is it so hard to be a good person?

Why is it so hard to be a good person?

I've spent forty years at this. I've spent most of that trying to be there for others. Trying to listen. Trying to adhere to their standards other than mine. Trying to put their interests and needs before me; not once hint at whatever I want or need. Trying to be as emphatic and unselfish as possible. And cee. I've spent nearly half of my lifetime's worth of money in his multidecade quest.

And it's still so bloody difficult to be a good despite all that. To the point I don't even know what I feel like anymore. Whatever emotions I experience, if they exist, I simply cannot tell. And feel an increasing emptiness inside my the past six years.

yur a phukkin h0m0,.

Fuck up cry baby

you aren't special

being a good person isn't giving people what they want 24/7 its giving them what they want when they need it most and taking what you need when you need it most

life isn't naruto you fucking faggot just live

It's feels better when you see shit happen to others, fucking moralfag

it is so fucking easy to be a good person
stop being a melodramatic faggot

>not once hint at whatever I want or need
>And it's still so bloody difficult to be a good despite all that. To the point I don't even know what I feel like anymore

Connect the dots man. You are too giving, you live for other people, so of course you don't have a strong sense of self. You need to put yourself first sometimes or else people will trample all over you and you will be kind of boring because you aren't driving things yourself. Take some control, put yourself first more and stop living for other people and their approval.

When you're doing good deeds, or whatever, you're just throwing stuff into a void. You can't expect anything in return.

If you're not happy throwing stuff into a void then stahp!!

doubt it

OP is probably one of those people who's so ridiculously self centered they see themselves as some sort of martyr

ok bye OP

Doesn't everybody?

no

t. special snowfale

I wish...

you aren't a good person. Until you've experienced the evil that's within you and every other human and recognize it you don't understand what it is to be a good person. Go to a third world country run by a totalitarian dictator. It will make you a stronger and wiser person

You're a people pleaser, OP. You need to be the most important person in your life. If there are people in your life that have expectations of you, then dump them, or set some fucking boundaries. Familiarity breeds contempt. You're getting resentful because you give a lot and receive very little, if anything. You are allowed to feel that, for sure, but remember that everything you do is ultimately YOUR choice. Good luck.

not really

most people realize they are a bit selfish at times and occasionally admit they only do things for themselves

people like OP are that special kind of insane that shoots up elementary schools because he's so "misunderstood"

but in reality everyone around him is giving collective arms and legs to make him feel comfortable he's just blind to it.

infants are like this because they have to be. autistic children are like this because they can't help it. OP chooses to be this way because he feels comfortable in it

It's sad but true, you get nothing for being a good person because people are generally interested in solving their own issues and not others. It sucks but it's somehow built in to our society.
Being empathetic is something that I do to try differentiate from others and to give myself a false sense of "maybe I'm a little better". I do things with no expectations of anything in return or for karma or for a supposed heaven.
Hope that helps somehow

>Why is it so hard to be a good person?
This is because "good" is an arbitrary, human-concocted construct ― a notion which strictly correlates to what is "good" FOR ONESELF; and something that is inalienably results in "bad" for someone else.

The yin-yang interplay of this gravely flawed concept is forever in-flux and, indeed, varies from society to culture to creed to chronology (et cœtera, ad infinitum). Thus, the prerequisites of "good" can never be wholly satisfied by mere mortals. For this would require a corporeal 'superposition' ― something far beyond the realm of mere mortality.

>EVIL is a constant
>EVIL is immutable
>EVIL is easy
>EVIL is destiny
>EVIL is entropy
>EVIL is inevitable

Embrace evil. Emancipate the lies "good" enthrals you with, my child...

Not cross-culturally, no. Some cultures are collectivist and give their all for the group, while leaving none for themselves. Other cultures are individualist and focus too much on the self, and leave behind others as a result. In short, SOME people can think outside themselves and take action for the benefit to the others, but lean too far to that side and get the whip as a result. While others can maintain their own independence and well-being when trying to benefit others, but inadvertently lean far too THAT side and border on the 'every man for themselves' mindset. The point being that both sides rarely strike a balance between the two.

PSA: YOU CAN BE A GOOD PERSON WITHOUT BEING A DOORMAT

You'd think that, but my god you have no idea how hard that is.

>WITHOUT BEING A DOORMAT
you're likely not a good person then. :/

be friendly with people, a few kind words here or there if they're having a bad day, help friends and family with their problems but learn when to say "no" if you really don't feel like doing something or they're taking advantage of you
super simple concept

>when to say "no" if you really don't feel like doing something or they're taking advantage of you
that can still be an incredibly selfish act where you're only looking out for yourself.

>super simple concept
I hate to be one of those people, but only if you're privileged.

Are you saying I should kill myself then?

>Hey bro can you help me move to my new apartment?
"No, sorry, I have to work and can't afford to take the day off."
what about this concept is selfish? Not every instance of the word "No" is incredibly selfish.

>what about this concept is selfish?
You're still looking out for yourself above all in that situation.

Go to work to put food on the table for my kid and pay my own rent or help my buddy move furniture into his apartment? Hmm... yep must be selfish.

a. 40 yrs? bs
b. welcome to hell

Well, yeah. Putting yourself before others, despite context, is one of the basic definitions of selfishness.

do you want to debate philosophy or about how to be a good person you clown
I can't help others if I'm living in a box on the street and starving to death.
"selfishness" is necessary to survive.
Being a good person is not the absence of your so called "selfishness" because humans need to cover their base needs simply to survive.

>do you want to debate philosophy or about how to be a good person you clown
I'd rather one of us jerk the other off.

>I can't help others if I'm living in a box on the street and starving to death.
Indeed, but that doesn't make a difference into whether or not you're selfish or unselfish.

>"selfishness" is necessary to survive.
A lot of things are necessary to survive. Murdering somehow who appears to be a threat, though there's not enough evidence to support, but it's too much of a seeming threat to take that risk, for example...

>Being a good person is not the absence of your so called "selfishness" because humans need to cover their base needs simply to survive.
But it gets in the way of being a good, unselfish person. The main issue here is how much of a grey area it is. And if you have any experience in things like Photoshop, you can understand how faded and barely noticeable that spectrum of grey can be.

Being absolutely good is impossible, and even if it was, it has nothing to do with being selfless.
Look, even monks who donate all their fucking everything to Church do it because 1) they think that's how you go to Heaven. Selfish, huh ? 2) that's what make them feel content with themselves. Selfish, once more

OP should stop expecting people to put their happiness aside like he does in hope of some imaginary approval.

of course there's always shades of grey
the world is a grey place
you seem to want a much more in depth conversation than I do so I'm gonna bounce.
Read back on what I've said and think about it.
You don't have to be a saint to be a good person, you also don't have to completely ignore your own desires to be a good person. That's part of life.

i believe so. some more than others.

And some people dont realise they are

Just do whatever you want for a while. You will feel free. It is awesome. Try living alone if you aren't already.

What do you want OP? A fucking medal?
I think your expecting too much for your good deeds, if you weren't you wouldn't be complaining about it.
Move the fuck on with your life and stop thinking you need something in return for being a decent human being.

You seem like a huge faggot, op.