/who/ - Doctor Who General

Revelation of the Daleks edition. Is it the best Colin story? How does it compare to the other Davros stories?

Processed into high-protein food:

Other urls found in this thread:

saberpunk.net/DoctorWho/DoctorWhoSerialGenerator.php
glyphobet.net/drwho
games.usvsth3m.com/drwho/
twitter.com/Andydrewz/status/765675929221947392/photo/1
youtube.com/watch?v=qOr3Qlxwiyc
docs.google.com/file/d/0B2lzYO0eEc04T3JWemJwZ2lmelk/edit
archive.is/7eSsd
poal.me/ijn5xm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I never rated turn left. What the hell was the bug on her back about?

It's been particularly awful since Clara got in the show and even worse when 12 arrived. It's forced and not funny.

The Twelfth Doctor isn't really that witty, or at least not in the same way as the Eleventh Doctor. Clara being witty is just part of her character--it's one of the ways she's a "Doctor-in-training", and it's also part of her defense mechanism.

Danny, Journey Blue, Osgood, Kate Stewart, Bonnie, the whole cast of Before the Flood and Sleep No More...none of these characters are really witty.

Missy is witty, but only because she's the Master, and that's how she makes people underestimate her.

However, since 12 and Clara are both witty, especially with each other (most of that is Clara saying something witty in response to 12) , it makes the episode seem more witty. Plus, you're comparing 45 minute episodes, to several eps' worth of plot--the compression means there are more jokes per ep.

>The actual ending where Cassandra sees her past self is much better.
I'm assuming that part would have still been there regardless of how the pseudo-zombie stuff was resolved. And I think it hopefully would have been a more sombre "the Doctor has to put these sad people out of their misery" thing a la the "Where's Gareth?" scene in The Age of Steel rather than an over the top, angry god thing a la the Racnoss in The Runaway Bride.

I didn't say that, dude. I think you are confused.

Of course. I still don't know what the bug was about.

>/who/ presents:
DOCTOR WHO: SHIT TRIPS Vol. 1
- The Anthology -

>Are you a true fan of Doctor Who?
>Have you ever written down a sequence of words?

If the answer is yes or no, then you are ready to contribute a literary masterpiece to the first ever /who/ collection of original Doctor Who-based short fiction.
/who/ is finally making its unique mark in an age-old tradition of p̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶f̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶g̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶e̶g̶i̶t̶i̶m̶a̶c̶y̶ / celebrating the magic of Who and the talent of a community.

There are no limits (except the story must be at least 1 word long, and preferably not in excess of 10,000, it's short fiction you fuck).

>- Can involve any Doctor(s), companion(s), side characters, spinoff characters and beyond, as your heart desires
>- Can be in any style, whether it's "legitimate writing", "pisstake", or "shitpost".
>- Can be about absolutely anything
>- The main focus is on good fun in the vein of the wiki, although serious entries are allowed. (If you're going to write smut, maybe approach it with a degree of levity)

Stuck for ideas? Try starting with your favourite TARDIS team (or for timeliness, 12/Clala) and one of these authentic titles:
saberpunk.net/DoctorWho/DoctorWhoSerialGenerator.php
glyphobet.net/drwho
And free scenario prompts:
games.usvsth3m.com/drwho/

We are going to be starting an index on the wiki for the collection. Anyone can contribute, no signups/pitches required. If you have ideas, feel free to broadcast them. So far we are looking at at least 10 submissions and there is always room for more.
The rest is self-explanatory. Format for uploading your work is up to you, as long as it can be conveniently copied across (and ideally don't dump long texts in /who/ directly).

Anyone who wants to do illustrations or comics is encouraged.

Remember, it doesn't have to be good. Just have fun!

>Processed into high-protein food:
10/10

The humor was much worse during 11.

>The Twelfth Doctor isn't really that witty, or at least not in the same way as the Eleventh Doctor
>waving your arms like a mental patient is both subtle and witty

It's bretty good if you ignore the fact that the Doctor basically does nothing in it.

Are you referring to 12, or 11, with that comment?

>waving your arms like a mental patient is both subtle and witty
Kek it's actually one of the many things I liked about 11

It was one of the Trickster's Brigade, basically a "monster of the week" to go hand in hand with "o shit, Donna was controlled and forced to turn the other way" thing. Like the chicken in Vincent, it didn't need to be there really, and probably would've been better without.

So I see this place is still home to a load of die-hard Moffat fanboys. I believe that if you unironically enjoyed the last few series of Doctor Who, you're a faggot. I think it's the most dissapointing show on TV. So much potential, and Moffat produces this hogwash. No style, charisma or drama. Completely bland and uninteresting. Nothing new or compelling. How can the classic episodes like Rememberance of the Daleks and Caves of Androzani still shit all over the new show? Don't bring up budget, Moffat has enough to make good shows.

I'm usually pretty okay with people liking things I don't. It's just the fervour of Moffat fans pisses me off when it's painfully obvious that he writes like shit. It just isn't good television.

Yeah bring Gareth Roberts in, the true saviour!

I'm remembering the second half of series 7 and how fucking terrible some of the joke stuff was. By god, Thomas Thomas. (Crimson Horror in general, actually.) The kids in NiS. The trio of black guys. "Ghostbusters". Fuck!
I'm glad we've decisively left that hell, I've found a lot of Capaldi's run to be genuinely funny. But I still don't really trust anyone who isn't Moffat or Mathieson (or possibly Harness) to write good witty dialogue for an episode.

Ah yes, you came in for a drive by shit post and now are deciding to get all huffy because people don't agree with you.
I have a better idea: why don't you just go away again?

>Ghostbusters
That was funny though.

Crimson Horror feels like perfectly done cheese. Also, Rings of Akhenaten was great.

I have no excuse for anything else.

Not very.
>le reference

In general, Clara's dialogue in that episode is uncharacteristically over-quippy and reeks of 'new companion we haven't decided how to write for'.

Dinosaurs On A Spaceship had some pretty shitty humor too. I remember Amy being written really badly in that episode. Hopefully Series 11 is better than that.

>In general, Clara's dialogue in that episode is uncharacteristically over-quippy and reeks of 'new companion we haven't decided how to write for'.
That's literally all of her Series 7 episodes.

11, the dead giraffe dance or whatever the fuck it was.

I remember a joke about balls and Mitchell and Webb playing two kind of unfunny robots.

>Rings of Akhenaten
>Akhenaten
REEEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S AKHATEN

SERIES 9 SOUNDTRACK FUCKING WHEN

GODDAMMIT BBC REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>I unironically like what Moffat has done recently with Doctor Who
>I unironically find the episode funny and don't find them very cringe
>I believe Moffat is doing Doctor Who, the show that gave us "Genesis of the Daleks", the Time Lords, "Dalek", "Brain of Morbius" and many more, justice.
>I believe that Moffat makes a fun Doctor Who

All fucking Moffags must fucking hang.

I hate jokes of all kinds but I found thomas thomas funny. Had they just left it at that instead od saying "LEL YOU SHUD MAKE MAPS M8" later on it would have been hilarious.

Hide really strongly, though.
>Whisky is the eleventh most disgusting thing ever invented.

>not posting the Shalka when you ree
Pleb.

>not liking the dance

That's the emotional comfy after the epic events of the Big Bang. It's meant to show the Doctor's still the Doctor, even after he just made the universe cry "Uncle."

How could you hate the dance?

Planet of the spiders reference

Jesus mate calm down it's only a couple of songs x

>it's only a couple of songs

Stay mad senpai.

Crikey mate calm your tits

Actual kek.
twitter.com/Andydrewz/status/765675929221947392/photo/1

>christopher eccleston portrays the doctor absolutely perfectly
>moffat shits all over it because he's so le clever
>didn't even free the timelords, he literally kept them locked in a bubble, as they were before, just to shit on eccleston

Doctor Who started and ended in 2005.

The Ninth Doctor is the only canon Doctor?

Yes. The ones before him were just a nightmare he had as a baby and the ones after were just a dream he had.

Eccleston doesn't care m8, he fucking hates Doctor Who, this a well-known fact.

Ace was the only companion they got right, and even that's because the show was cancelled before they ruined it by making her a time lady.

That's what doctor who should be. A young impressionable girl deciding to put absolute trust in a man much older than her.

He categorically does not hate Doctor Who.

He went to meet Moffat to hear his ideas for the 50th. He did a fun thing as the Doctor when some dude asked his wife to marry him. He's done videos for Who fans. He loves meeting kids and enjoys talking about the character with them. He does not "fucking hate" it whatsoever.

So what the heck is:

Jamie

Romana

Sara

>Ace was the only companion they got right
Holy exaggeration Batman

Oh, are you actually discussing seriously? I thought based on this post you were just looking to trade maymays.

>didn't even free the timelords, he literally kept them locked in a bubble, as they were before
No, "as they were before" was literally trapped in an inferno and about to get blown to hell.
Moffat had the Moment save their lives by bringing in the later Doctors, but still leave the Doctor to deal with the guilt of having not found another way originally.

>Jamie
The actual character had no real difference to any other, Pat and Fraiser got on so well which made it especially good to watch, but Jamie the character was no different to any other companion.

>Romana

Good, quirky timelady shenanigans but again, nothing really interesting about the character.

>sara
Assuming you mean SaraH here, who is overrated as fuck due to coming back.

Ace was the only companion to have a traumatic background, she was the only companion the Doctor actually helped. You can say memes like Rose, but living in a council flat isn't anything compared to Ace's history with her mother. Ace was the first and last time the show not only made the companions important but also made it mean something.

Future writers keep repeating the same mistake, they do pretty well and then they ruin it by making the companions immortal, some all powerful being or the very epicentre od the universe itself, Ace was just a normal girl from a normal place who'd had a hard life.

Why did you choose to make your batshit rambling a reply to my post about Clara's dialogue in Hide?

But regardless of the /story/, Moffat still just went back to square 1. RTD wrote what he did to keep the Time Lords out of the way. Moffat... ended up doing the exact same, keeping them trapped/bubbled/hidden at the end of time... to keep them out of the way. Kinda just... what's the point

Rereading the 19th Century Earth parts of the Book of the War while listening to Music in Twelve Parts by Philip Glass. It feels as if my mind is growing on seven axes

Because every companion other than Ace has been shit.

Not once did Ace:
1. Become God/immortal/superman/Mary sue.
2. Scream at something for no reason.
3. Appear solely as eye candy.
4. Be completely defenceless and there solely to be saved.

Literally every other companion has done one or more of these things at some point.

>Because every companion other than Ace has been shit.

Liz Shaw

What does any of this have to do with the "young impressionable girl putting absolute trust in a man much older than her" thing, have you just abandoned that thread altogether? (Also no, Immigrant meant Sara Kingdom. He was presenting examples of well-liked past companions who deviated from the 'young impressionable girl' model.)

Anyway your view of the show is reductive. No-one is about to disagree that Ace is the first companion where psychological character development is a big factor, but that's because Cartmel's version of the show is the first one where that's actually important. It's different, it doesn't mean the previous iterations were "wrong" but rather that they had a different goal in mind.
(Plus it's pretty rich to laud Ace's mother issues as some huge fucking traumatic deal when they're only relevant in Curse of Fenric and never even elaborated upon. [Ironically they added more actual trauma to her backstory once the show was cancelled.] Basically your post is an argument for how good The Curse of Fenric is, I won't disagree but it doesn't make a great case for Ace being the only good companion.)

And you haven't given any reason for why this is all ruined by the companion having something big happen to them later, like becoming a Time Lady (as shit as that would have been for Ace) or Donna temporarily turning into the metacrisis. Basically you have no coherent theory of companions here at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=qOr3Qlxwiyc

I was talking about Sara Kingdom.

Ace was a child's version of a modern teenager. She was good, but easily can be done poorly if she's written without nuance. And there's a legitimate argument that the devaluation of the Daleks as a threat started when Ace, a teenage girl, beat up one of the most dangerous creatures in the world, with an "enhanced" bat.

I like Ace. But she's got her own faults.

Nice. The Book is great.

How'
s the fic going?

>And there's a legitimate argument that the devaluation of the Daleks as a threat started when Ace, a teenage girl, beat up one of the most dangerous creatures in the world, with an "enhanced" bat.
Not really, the bat was infused with the same energy the hand of omega used to move entire planets and suns around, if that couldn't destroy a dalek then that Dalek would have to have more force behind it than all the stars in the universe.

If you meant from a real world perspective then fuck off, kids shouldn't be watching shows they can't appreciate.

>kids shouldn't be watching shows they can't appreciate
Did you know Doctor Who is a literal kids show? Just because you think it's great doesn't change that fact.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Jamie
He wanted to take on the role of a dashing hero, often hotheaded and impulsive. He was always showing off his manliness to the ladies and protect them but his chivalry carried some of the condescending sexism of his time. He was used to being part of a clan that demanded strong loyalty and the TARDIS basically took the place of that, with his loyalty to and trust in the Doctor being fierce, although he wasn't afraid to stand up to him and assert his own opinions. He was a warrior, the muscle to back up the Doctor's brains and in that sense he was a precursor to both Leela and Ace (Ben was in the military but generally wasn't eager to fight). I can contrast all of this to the other '60s male companions if you want.

>Romana
In her first incarnation she was a highly educated know-it-all with no real world experience in contrast to the Doctor's disdain for the sterile academic atmosphere of Gallifrey and centuries of practical experience. Over the first season she goes from being a stick in the mud who insists on doing everything by the book to mostly following the Doctor's lead to becoming his equal in her second incarnation.

>Assuming you mean SaraH here, who is overrated as fuck due to coming back.
I'll grant she's not that unique but you got it backwards, she came back due to being overrated as fuck and she was overrated as fuck due to being the companion in the Hinchcliffe years when the show left a big impression on a lot of kids who were now adult NuWho fans.

It was the first step in bringing the Time Lords back. Now they are back. The idea was to close the book on an idea the show had been exploring for the past 7 years and was honestly getting a bit stale and to set up new possibilities, which it did.

OK Acefag /who/ likes Ace anyway, just not particularly more than some other companions.

>Not once did Ace:
>1. Become God/immortal/superman/Mary sue.
>2. Scream at something for no reason.
>3. Appear solely as eye candy.
>4. Be completely defenceless and there solely to be saved.
>Literally every other companion has done one or more of these things at some point.
Refer back to this post

>Moffat... ended up doing the exact same, keeping them trapped/bubbled/hidden at the end of time... to keep them out of the way. Kinda just... what's the point
Out of the way?
>Capaldi's first series: the Master comes straight back to make trouble
>Capaldi's second series: the Time Lords completely fuck up the Doctor's life

>The idea was to close the book on an idea the show had been exploring for the past 7 years and was honestly getting a bit stale

About that. I don't mind the direction they went, but one of the other directions that was speculated before Day of the Doctor, was that, in the absence of the Time Lords, other races might try to fill the void. What if the Daleks decided to become the Lords of Time?

Over analysing something doesn't mean they had character development.

>user is a proud opinionated ruffian with a constant need to prove to others how right he is in his pretentious garglings but in reality is just overcompensating for his ill thought out rhetoric that he now finds himself having to defend due to putting himself in a situation where his contrarian attitude has left him backing the underdog, although he only half heartedly believes his opinions, if at all, he still defends them because he's simply too far into the process to back down now.

Vs

>user's a faggot

Jamie frequently got captured, fulfilling 4.

Romana was a time lady, fulfilling 1.

Sarah constantly acreamed at the top of her lungs, fulfilling 2.

Yeah, the right answer to this question is "Being shallower in design than Ace doesn't make them bad", not to attempt overly wordy analysis of them in an attempt to prove they fit the Ace model (which they don't and were never meant to).

I mean, Romana straight up had character development. She's not the same person at the beginning that she was at the end, literally.

so I just watched all of season 9 in two days and I really don't know what to think.
I really like capaldi and some stuff that happened, but I still feel that Moffat is ruining the show, and turning it in his own little story

>Sarah constantly acreamed at the top of her lungs, fulfilling 2.
It's already been pointed out to you, twice, that 'Sara' refers to Sara Kingdom.

I'm not overanalyzing, this is stuff is mostly right there on the surface. If you can't read it then you just suck at watching tv. Too bad for you.

>Romana was a time lady, fulfilling 1.
Alright, so she's immortal, but so what? She's not "special." It's implied there are millions of time lords and ladies.

Yes, by other people, the original poster meant SJS. See

>turning it in his own little story
So like everyone else who has ever been in charge of it/its mythos?

>not to attempt overly wordy analysis of them in an attempt to prove they fit the Ace model (which they don't and were never meant to).
I'm not saying they do but that user said Jamie had the same personality as every other companion and there was nothing interesting about Romana's character and that's just fucking wrong.

The original poster, being me, meant Sara Kingdom. The replier misconstrued it as Sarah Jane.

No.
>Gallifrey_Immigrant
I was talking about Sara Kingdom.

I was only talking about Sarah because I was replying you. You were the one who introduced Sarah Jane Smith into the conversation you retard.

Never listened to DMP tbvqh

I think this ace guy might be having us on, lads.

>4. Be completely defenceless and there solely to be saved.

docs.google.com/file/d/0B2lzYO0eEc04T3JWemJwZ2lmelk/edit

lol rekt

link to main file pls

archive.is/7eSsd

Epic. What happened to it? Forgot to pay it's licence fee?

Are there any other good dystopia episodes like the sun makers and vengence on varos?

The closest one in style is The Happiness Patrol but The Savages, The Macra Terror, Frontier in Space, The Caves of Androzani, Bad Wolf, Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, and The Beast Below all count as dystopian. Yes I did just skim the entire episode list.

>le liquourish allsort bloke
No thanks.

>not liking the Kandyman
Exactly what I would expect from a pleb who thinks The Sun Makers is good.

I wonder what Kandyman having sex with Kandywoman would look like.

Probably time I had a wank tbvqh

What about Candy Wife?

If you had to pick a replacement for the Tardis, a contemporary colloquial thing that everyone today knows, that won't be around in the near future, like police boxes in the '60s, what would you pic?

poal.me/ijn5xm

A selfie stick

Too small. It would need to be inserted to be used.

I hope Clara's timecafe becomes a selfie stick.

What are some good first doctor stories that arent unearthly child and tenth planet?

The Time Meddler. The Ark.