youtube.com/watch?v=GxKPBLjHAEA
clyp.it/jwaucjqc
clyp.it/2vmrvnjf
clyp.it/hew0hsle
hornet.org/music/samples/
hornet.org/music/samples/00_index.txt
clyp.it/bgpivc5t
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how to make a mix sound louder without sounding like a flat mud and without attacks

>Shit op last two threads were failures edition

learn what you're doing and what you're askingg first lol

youtube.com/watch?v=51CQbLmEyU8

how do I get a kick to sound like this? I can sorta recreate the snare somewhat but I can't get a kick that sounds full like that with just 808s or 909s (i'm assuming that's what's being used here).

clyp.it/1rdj2s4b
feedback pls

I missed this thread.

play around with the eq

Can I get feed back?

clyp.it/l0pyvf2u

O U T L A ND E R S

>clyp.it/1rdj2s4b

-Awkward transitions
-out of place sounding instruments
-cheesy hhs
-seemly random progression
-Some clashing notes

+Decent mix

Keep at it senpai

pretty sure those are all stock 808 sounds just recorded on bad tape. there's some sort of sub on there btw, it's just really hard to hear on the recording.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like more depth on
>-out of place sounding instruments
Also
>-cheesy hhs
I'm new at producing and lately hats have been my biggest issue. Can't seem to get them right so tips and advice would be appreciated.

Nice track btw I don't think I can help you with that.

>I'm new at producing and lately hats have been my biggest issue. Can't seem to get them right so tips and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks man.

The woo woo thingy sounds out of place, tonally it just doesn't seem to fit the track well. I feel like the bass has too much high and mid.

With Open hats you want to use them at a point of empasis, in your track they feel random and overused. The closed hats don't have a groove to them that plays with any of the other instruments well. I feel the same way about your Bongos, there's a groove that bongos usually have that people are accustomed to. The way they're being played in your song feels awkward.

The best piece of advice I can give you to improve your drums as a whole is, imagine being the drummer. "If I was the drummer would I be doing this?. Hell apply that to everything.

Research different genres and patterns they commonly use and incorporate styles you like in your OWN style. Bongos from Brazil, HHs from Jazz, snare from Hip hop, kick from EDM etc etc. Keep at it man.

How important is a mixer? Isn't it just controlling EQ and volume? Can't I do that on the amp directly?

hey /prod/udes, what's a good software to do some home-recording stuff? with guitar and voice mostly

I've been using audacity for the acoustic songs and FLs to use its effects on the electric guitar but I feel I should do an upgrade

>on the amp
>????

What are you trying to do tho

Just record and do everything on fl

I dont know whether to get a mixing board or not since I can do it on PC. I want to know the advantages of having it and doing it live

Working on this: clyp.it/wfx5wjcr

Eq, or compression, Depending on the kick, Try a trap kick those got that pop.
Dope asf

In it's most basic form a mixer mixes together multiple audio signals. If you aren't working with multiple signals then you probaly don't need a mixer.

First of all you need a good mic and a guitar amp. Everything else can be done in any daw. Get an interface maybe if you've got the cash.

Some people just want a physical interface, some of the more expensive boards (like crazy expensive) can color your sound in a way that justifies having outboard. Honestly there's no point in having outboard unless you're spending top dollar

I got a neewer nw-700 as microphone and a 3 channels mixer, I don't use the amp I just connect the guitar directly in the interface

>I don't use the amp

Why tho lol

So why are monitors better for mixing?
I've heard that they give a better representation of stereo image. To me it seems like headphones are better at showing reverbs and delays

How do I get the sound of a train off in the distance(or something that sounds like it)? morpheuslunae.bandcamp.com/track/dunkle-tage-2 begins with what I'm looking for, the guy who made is said its a modified sine wave but he didn't say how it was modified, does anyone have any idea?

A little update mix wise and some instrument wise
clyp.it/3caiifbu

youtube.com/watch?v=veQlM_u3CqA

Could any of you tell me how to replicate this synth with the oscillating pitch?

its all on compression right? how ta do it?

What daw do you use?

Most people experience music playing aloud. If you mix exclusively through headphones, you won't get an accurate stereo picture
Just record some trains off in the distance

without proper field recording equipment and no place nearby with cargo trains with that sort of whistle, it'd be much easier to just figure out how to modify the sine wave.

>without proper field recording equipment
Buy it
>and no place nearby
There's no trains in your town?
>it'd be much easier
You mean lazier

>I don't use the amp I just connect the guitar directly in the interface
Wow, sounds awful

>Buy it
That shits expensive man, and I just want to know how to modify the sine wave
>no trains in your town?
none with that kind of whistle, no
>you mean lazier
if by lazy you mean easier, more affordable and more efficient.

I just need some help with identifying the effect, I don't know why you're getting so worked up over this.

>That shits expensive man,
Get a job
>none with that kind of whistle
Go out of state
>if by lazy you mean easier
Shortcuts and compromising your art because you don't want to work harder to get what you want? That's laziness
>I just need some help with identifying the effect
What makes you think you've earned this knowledge?

clyp.it/4dknpfp5

this is a train preset on padshop pro it is a granular synth

>Shortcuts and compromising your art because you don't want to work harder to get what you want?
that's right, I don't want to go out of state and blow tons of money on new equipment just to see if a thing might sound cool in a song. Sorry.
>What makes you think you've earned this knowledge?
since when is /prod/ about earning knowledge? It's literally just asking for help and giving it.

thanks a bunch man, exactly what I was looking for.

>that's right, I don't want to go out of state and blow tons of money on new equipment just to see if a thing might sound cool in a song. Sorry.
Alright, enjoy making lazy art
>since when is /prod/ about earning knowledge?
That's the problem

>Alright, enjoy making lazy art
thanks, I will

the horn sounds comes from the modwheel being moved you can see in the mod matrix what parameters it is effecting

thanks so much, I'm gonna have to mess around with this a bunch, it's perfect for what I need.

>tfw have protoolz but not the motivation to actually learn how to use it so just shitpost on mu instead

Stfu and learn it stop being a bitch ????

but how

If you know the slightest bit about theory learning it will be really easy and the first few months of learning a daw are great cause you make a lot of progress really fast.

Stop stalling it.

just make music with the program and open the manual when you are stumped its really the only way

>open the manual
Alternately, youtube.
Be warned tho half of the shit on youtube is crap. Keep your ears wide open.

what does theory have to do with protools?

Nothing much I guess. I just think it'd be really frustrating trying to learn how to make music without knowing what the fuck you're doing.

do people actually pay for FL or do you just torrent it?

fl studio is actually one of the better deals you pay once and get free updates from then on

I just pirated it. I also pirated every plug in that is not free.

haha this reminds me a ton of the backtrack to this
youtube.com/watch?v=GxKPBLjHAEA

I'll buy any user a plugin of their choice of they can name every sample in my track. Some are obvious some are not.

clyp.it/jwaucjqc

Another update.. clyp.it/2vmrvnjf almost done now

i think this is good is it all samples

nah, the synths are mine, the main kick and clap/snare is mine, but i used my zoom to record all the video game/other percussion samples haha. thanks though, glad you enjoy the track.

it reminds me of that one producers sound pogo

any reason to do mastering?

Loudness

A short minimalistic piece
clyp.it/hew0hsle

what's wrong with it?

That's what i mostly use the mastering section for, Limiting.

Scrap that i misunderstood, What you mean?

Serious? If you don't know what mastering is then you should do a little research. ever listen to your track in headphones and it sounds great but then sounds like shit on other speakers or in your car? Well proper mastering will help your tracks sound great on all sources.

I meant what's wrong with keeping the way it is?

could be way better

hornet.org/music/samples/ Some samples from like 1996 scene groups, they're 44.1 and such. hornet.org/music/samples/00_index.txt the filelist.

The Yamaha RY-10 and Boss DR550 MK II drum machines are great.

this is pretty cool

its funny you say its similar because that sound is two layers the same as this one a rainstorm sample makes the train chug sound and the panflute sample makes the horn

When do you decide your music is good enough to sell prod?

when you decide on a new pseudonym you can use once you find your old music embarrassing

It's good enough to sell if it serves a valuable purpose to people

I'd say "When people want to buy it" but people are nitwits that don't know what's good for them and also don't respect artistry

Any Basic golden tips for mixing?
+ download Caustic 3 app, it's a greas way to start geting familier with the prudction world.

How do I make consistently decent(good would be better ofc) tracks? Is there a formula i'd have to adhere to?

[Verse 2: MF DOOM]
True, there's rules to this shit, fools dare care

I'm not talking about relying on the same music theory for every track, e.g pop chords. I'm talking about creativity wise, how do you be consistently creative enough to make decent songs that don't sound like pop garbage.

Group all tracks lacking something then use gain compensation on the compressor to boost the signal

I really don't know, if you figure it out let me know

yeah me to.. While your at it, See if you can find the meaning of life for me.

What sound sources should I use for noise music?

analogue/flac then compress, not the other way around

clyp.it/bgpivc5t
Electro and DnB?
Kinda rushed things too much but i hope you can enjoy at least some parts of this.

and understanding masking/panning/eq/reverb/chorusing

treble frequencies can completely cover up mid frequencies

sometimes you can create a pocket on one side of a mix for something to pop without making the whole thing quieter

you can turn down a sound and give it some verb to make it easier to hear

nah. everyone uses the same speakers and headphones as you. you should be good.

For people who make bass music, trap etc.
How much low end do you cut from your non-bass tracks? I really like to clean up all my instruments so that the kick and bass have room but I don't want to neuter anything.
Pic related is typically what I do to stuff like pianos, synths and vocals (would have a bump around 100Hz). It's hard to know how much I can have going on in the low end because I don't have amazing monitors. How do you approach it?

I'm not super experienced with mastering but
- Helps to translate your track across different systems
- Helps to "glue" your track together and colour each sound a certain way (if you add stuff like tape saturation or excitation)
- Can improve the mix if you clean up the low end and apply compression to bring elements to the "front" etc.
- Will make your track a bit closer to other tracks in volume (loudness)

On that last point, you gotta be careful because competing for loudness is just a bad idea. Especially if you're trying to match a professionally mastered track, you'll necessarily be ruining your dynamics in order to reach that loudness. Mastering engineers can make tracks loud whilst maintaining dynamics. For non-professionals, mastering is good way to "finish" a track and prepare it for the listener. It's simply not necessary to have a super loud track unless a record company is demanding it.
Mastering can seem pointless but it really does improve stuff. The mix is definitely more important in my opinion, there's no point in mastering if the mix is bad.

anyone?

Sounds like an LFO device was attached to a microtonal pitch parameter. Could even be a pitch shifter effect and the dude is moving the parameter around

>tfw neat

I'm getting tired of using R-8, R-50, and R-70 drum machines samples, what do?

To make sure your shit sounds good on any system, not just your shitty budget monitor speaker or 150 dollar headphones.

It might sound good at home, but when you drop it in a mix at the club you suddenly get a shitload of frequency problems that didnt surface on your shitty system.

It's also good to get someone else to master it for you as a fresh set of ears can detect problems you have grown accustomed to, like a slightly receded mid because your headphones or speakers have plenty off it.

stop being a one trick pony and start using other samples?

Anyone here use Buzz? Is there a pack with some essential basic machines available or something?

give the kb6 guy a few dollars

4 tracks without names, uncapitalised names, no grouping, random clip colour scheme. OCD rating: 4/10.

If there is a song that i want to sample that has one part but different sounds are blocking it how do I just get that one sound?

How do I open/use the piano roll in Ableton like in FL?

There is essentially no way of doing that without artifacts, and its not easy to do even if artifacts are acceptable.

Your options are:
- attempt to EQ out as much of the unwanted sounds as possible without ruining the sound you want
- stereo tricks, e.g. mono the channel with more of the sound you want or convert to mid/side and use whichever is best
- phase cancellation if want you want to extract is vocals and your have an instrumental version
- spectral cancellation using a vst like knock0ut, only works if you have a section that has the frequencies you want to remove but not the ones you want to keep, also will be extremely artifacty
- use celemony melodyne to remove unwanted notes, will only work if no other instruments are playing the same notes as the part you want to keep, and will again be full of artifacts
- hire session musicians and remake the sound

press v
"draw tool"
>rtfm

increase gain

reaper

>sometimes you can create a pocket on one side of a mix for something to pop without making the whole thing quieter
interesting, explain that better

>you can turn down a sound and give it some verb to make it easier to hear
interesting, ill try it

is it the same as doing it on the master? my problem is losing the attacks when doing that