djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#ねばならない
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/未然形
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/連用形
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/終止形_(文法)
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/連体形
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/已然形
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/命令形
houbunsha.co.jp/comics/detail.php?p=����ʬ�֤���ˡ�Ȥ�
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jcn7Z4tbdRblEGnq6jzfW_sc-cOekTSs_N8z7mqb8Uc/edit?usp=sharing
amazon.co.jp/エポック社-AQ-S38-アクアビーズアートキラキラアーティストEXセット/dp/B00L8HOCIK?language=en_US
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/AMB_Japanese_Verbs.pdf
microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?fmid=1081
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1010862480
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DJT is dead...half the threads just die now, we need a solution or else we'll simply stop existing.

The thread number also shouldn't increment if the thread died, since the last thread was an incomplete edition. It truly triggers my autism.

watashi wa biki ja nai desu

the only solution to "revive" them would be to merge with /jp DJT. but i doubt anyone would want that

What does this ね signify? What meaning does it add to the verb 殺る?

殺さぬ→殺さねば
殺さない→殺さなければ

Sorry, I guess this is やる:
やらぬ→やらねば

Wow
I thought やらぬ=やらなければ
ねば being a negative form is totally news for me.

Related:
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#ねばならない

ない and ぬ are separate auxiliary verbs with separate conjugations.

MZ (な) なかろ
RY (に・ず) なく
SS (ず) ない
RT ぬ ない
IZ ね なけれ
MR (ざれ) x

Is this what the threads are like without meme spam and lengthy, zaney off topic arguments, death by the relative obscurity of being [more] on topic? (笑)

It's my fault, I usually wake up at 11:30 (Brazil Time) to do some Anki and bump the thread first thing after sitting on the PC, but I've been waking up later this week. Last post on past thread was around 10:30, I could have saved it.
ごめんなぞい。

If you have any ideas for revitalization, though, that'd be nice. I should get back to making that chart.

Couldn't find anything about pure ねば ending there?

>MZ
>RY
>SS
>RT
>IZ
>MR
What do these mean?

終止
連用
未然
連体
已然 ※現在形では仮定
命令

> 終止↔未然
適当に言ったけど本当かな。。

What does ちょっといっかい (all written in hiragana) mean? "Just a sec"?

Has anyone completed the DOJG Anki deck? I just got done with basic and my reading accuracy has improved drastically. Just wondering where I can expect to be after finishing the whole deck

I should have said tangentially related, sorry about that. It was related to the なければならない construct.
Those initials stand for conjugation classifications.
MZ = 未然形 (imperfective form)
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/未然形

RY = 連用形 (continuative form)
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/連用形

SS = 終止形 (predicative form)
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/終止形_(文法)

RT = 連体形 (attributive form)
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/連体形

IZ = 已然形 (realis/conditional form)
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/已然形

MR = 命令形 (imperative form)
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/命令形

Just wanna thank Australia for the fantasy mango posted yesterday, Ryushika Ryushika specially looks VERY cute.

Still downloading all the stuff little by little.
Couldn't find 45分間の魔法使い on MangaUpdates nor MAL, is it that underground?

ちょっといっかいやってみてもいいかな
can I do it once?
(in the case that いっかい is 一回)

ごめんよ、ちょっといっかい?
excuse me, you got a minute?
(in the case that いっかい is euphonic of いいかい(※rare))

don't mind my Japanenglish much.

How do those english letters correspond to the gammatical forms they denote? Can't see anything that links them.

MZ - Mizenkei
RY - Renyoukei
SS - Shuushikei
RT - Rentaikei
IZ - ??zenkei
MR - Meireikei

Just think about it like a Matroshka doll where every layer needs to shift writing system or language.

Never occured to me to think about it this way.
Thks!

我々は「ず ざら ず ざり ず ぬ ざる ねざれ ざれ」と覚える
しかし実際の使い方は全く覚えていない。。

That is a very cute angle.
>Couldn't find 45分間の魔法使い on MangaUpdates nor MAL, is it that underground?
It's serialised in まんがタイムKRコミックスフォワードシリーズ and published by 芳文社、thus part of the collection I'm working on. Details from the publisher:
houbunsha.co.jp/comics/detail.php?p=����ʬ�֤���ˡ�Ȥ�
Collection:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jcn7Z4tbdRblEGnq6jzfW_sc-cOekTSs_N8z7mqb8Uc/edit?usp=sharing
Sheet 1/芳文社、Row 59.

未然形→みぜんけい→MiZenkei→MZ
連用形→れんようけい→RenYoukei→RY
終止形→しゅうしけい→ShuuShikei→SS
連体形→れんたいけい→RenTaikei→RT
已然形→いぜんけい→IZenkei→IZ
命令形→めいれいけい→MeiReikei→MR

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Renyoukei, is in fact, Ren youkei, or as I’ve recently taken to romanize it, Ren'youkei. Renyoukei is not an accurate transliteration itself, but rather another ambiguous take on a fully functioning romanization system made useful by the Hepburn, modified Hepburn and vital kana knowledge comprising a 1:1 romanization as defined by ISO.
Many Japanese learners use a modified version of the Hepburn system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Hepburn which is widely used today is often called “Romaji”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Hepburn system, developed by the James Curtis Hepburn. There really is Romaji, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Romaji is the concept: the alphabet in the system that allocates the language’s sounds to the other glyphs that you know. The alphabet is an essential part of a transliteration, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete transliteration system. Romaji is normally used in combination with the Hepburn transliteration system: the whole system is basically Hepburn with Romaji added, or Hepburn/Romaji. All the so-called “Romaji” writers are really distributions of Hepburn/Romaji.

Hello - I accidently posted this in the wrong thread before.
I'm desperate to find out what this could mean - any help would be appreciated.

When you say "Working on", it means you're compiling all rips? I'm just looking at the covers to find out which ones look pretty, apart from a few you've posted already (like Heisei Umare), I really like the art of:

03 - Hitsugikatsu no Kuro
21 - Remains (Is it about tennis? Should be about something post-apocalypse! Shoot.)
25 - Harusora March
27 - Uni^4

プリズムビーズ キラキラ輝くモノたち
Shiny, glittery prism beads.
amazon.co.jp/エポック社-AQ-S38-アクアビーズアートキラキラアーティストEXセット/dp/B00L8HOCIK?language=en_US

>it means you're compiling all rips?
That and buying what I can't find rips of. Is more of the latter, unfortunately.
The second sheet is misc series which are published by 芳文社 or serialised in any of the まんがタイムきらら related magazines.

HAHA, now everyone knows ur gay.

which are not published*

It's a Kraut, who knows what those beads are going towards. Probably some sort of weapon to attempt to take over Europe again.

Ooh, yeah, I forgot there were other sheets.

Sheet 2 - 他の出版社
1 - Biotop (downloaded)
7 - Tensomething;
8 - Hitoribocchi no Seikatsu (I actually added it to my backlog recently);
10 - Mitsuboshi Colors (downloaded)
18 - Totsukuni no Shoujo (fffff- you said to wait, I'll wait, what an amazing cover!)
29 - Kenmo Hororo
38 - Kakushigoto

Are you a completionist control freak? I hope you're not into doujin music as well.

Thank you, and yes, I'm probably super gay, however, I am not ordering beads, just wondering what the next theme for my dress up game is lol

you should learn Katakana my man
would probably help a lot in a game with all those pseudo-English terms

Yeah, the notifications are always hell to understand. Pretty much just google translate English.
I think I have Michel Thomas for Japanese lying around somewhere, maybe I should give it a go to see if it ends up interesting em enough to get serious. Good method for me, helped me so much with French.

Prism bees

>海の恐ろしさっちゅうモン
海の恐ろしさというもの?

Prism biz. Selling magic healing crystals to old people.

>Are you a completionist control freak?
Just a bit stubborn and wanted to create a collection for learners with a focus on cute girls doing cute things, as these magazines tend to focus on. It would also act as a more focused branch of the CoR, if and when it is all done and I let the CoR maintainer know about it. Realistically it has more connection with Sup Forums than Sup Forums but since this thread isn't on Sup Forums, I decided to post it here. There is /jp/ but they seem to equate Japanese media with visual novels.
The largest hurdle to overcome is completing the back catalouge. As these magazines tend to be monthly, they only end up having a small amount of tanks published a year and that it really easy and cheap to keep up to date.

To be honest I was kind of spurred on by anons like you who responded positively to some of the series I was ripping and dumping a short while back that got me thinking maybe other anons would take interest in manga where they otherwise may not have and develop a reading habit. I like manga. It makes learning Japanese play instead of work. People work too hard and play too little.

>I hope you're not into doujin music as well.
Can't afford to be, lossless music is too heavy on Australian bandwidth 笑う

DJT needs to attract more posters. The current userbase is mostly static and the fact that this is a former Sup Forums thread at edition 1838 doesn't help. Personally, I would be fine with changing the name to something else, like a generic "Japanese learning thread", but I don't know what other anons think.

I always advertise DJT over 55chan (when the subject of learning Japanese comes up), since there are lots of BR weebs wanting to learn it, but I think no one has ever actually showed up.
Guess they don't even know English, then.

昨日楽しすぎて
今日おもんなく感じた

What does おもんなく mean?

Context: girl who went on a trip to kyoto

Apparently it is 大阪弁 for 面白くなく

A lot of people get angry and disappointed over at the /jp/ DJT because they're questions are mocked and derided by the autists over there. Sadly, the autists have the mod in their pocket and when you try to redirect people to the Sup Forums DJT, they report your post and it gets promptly deleted. This is too bad, because a lot of beginners aren't aware that there is a DJT here too, and that it's way more helpful than the one on /jp/. We would have to find a way to funnel the people here to save them from those assholes tarnishing DJT's good name.

Their*

What does おらんのか mean?

I disagree, because ostensibly, those beginners found the thread from browsing /jp/. If we want to attract more posters we should be focusing on our own board, otherwise you're basically saying that DJT doesn't belong in Sup Forums which is a separate issue altogether.

Also, I lurk /jp/ sometimes because the user who manages the DJT site posts updates there. I think you should at least respect his opinion and keep it in mind before saying that the /jp/ thread tarnishes DJT's name.

いないのか, maybe.

Yes.
土佐弁喋ってるね

Actually a lot of them were Sup Forums DJT browsers who stumble upon the /jp/ DJT thinking it simply stopped existing after it left Sup Forums.

Is なんでや just なんで, or is it a shorting of なんでやねん?

I saw a tweet with「 冷房ガン効きだったのにもう蒸し風呂です!」. What does the first part mean involving the ガン効き?

I think I've made some sort of mistake.

You can learn Japanese.

Reminder: Anki with the Core pack by itself sucks shit. You won't get anywhere with it alone, but supplement it with reading where you see words in context and also build your own decks and you'll be a winner.

Is my kanji grid weird?(Is it normal to have such low values? Ive been doing this deck for about a month and a half)
What do you mean?

I have a few questions I wanted to ask.

1. I downloaded the .txt 詰め合わせ and all I'm getting is gibberish, can someone confirm for me that the file is corrupt or am I just a mouth breathing retard who's fucking something up on my end of the line.

2. More importantly. I've been at this for around two years, have an N2 and can read normal text well but haven't managed to break into actual literature. Are there any recommendations for getting through this plateau between regular modern writing and what I suppose is narrative style writing or is it just time to buckle down? Any good anki decks or other resources would be appreciated as well?

Nah, it will only begin to look like a motivational graph after you're done with Core2k. The beginning is all red.

Link plox. Also try opening on Notepad++ and fiddling with the different encodes for display.

How are these related?(辞書形, テ形, 推量形)
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/AMB_Japanese_Verbs.pdf

>What do you mean?
I'm probably wasting too much time adding kanji I'll never see to anki.

You might be, but anything you learn won't hurt you, though i agree time could be spent somewhere else more efficiently. However, if you have fun with anki i don't think it's a mistake.

>Link plox.

It's in the cornucopia of resources. in the 小説 Section. I don't know how often they update it but I remember downloading some files from there that worked last year.

I really
REALLY fucking hate using Anki

I don't know why I'm so retarded but it's just frustrating and I'm slowly losing interest in actually learning

But I found WaniKani was actually enjoyable to use.

Am I learning nip wrong if I don't use Anki?

Go away, croc-head.

Nah, you are only learning it wrong if you stop reviewing shit while you are still not advanced.
And even learning it wrong is better than stopping to learn altogether.

What are you reading today user?

Please recommend best stock for ramen. A Japan friend recommended this HK product but I can't find it anywhere.

辞書形 is just another word for 終止形, since the 終止形 is the form the verb will appear in a dictionary under.

テ形 is the te-form, which is actually made up of the 連用形 plus the auxiliary verb て. In 五段 verbs (u-verbs) and other words, the 連用形 often goes through a sound change before た or て so this isn't always obvious. Example: 書く→書き→書きて→書いて (き becomes い, which is called イ音便).

推量形, the volitional form, is made up of the 未然形 plus the volitional auxiliary verb う or よう. A sound change also occurs for the 未然形 of 五段 verbs in this form because of changes in how the おう sound was written over time.

Good choice, enjoy.

DJT!

I-I'm learning, right?

Textfugu

don't bully me

It's the first thing I'm reading(I tried yotsuba and flying witch but they got boring really fast), it's pretty hard, but I'm actually liking the story so it doesn't bother me that much to have to go to a dictionary every 2 panels(Also, the quality is pretty good so i can clearly see most kanji) and I just found out Jisho has a nice search by component function which makes it way easier than drawing in my phone or OCRing.
I don't remember what country's user recomended it last thread, but I'm really thankful.

Why aren't you two studying native material? Do you not want to learn Japanese?

I only just learned Hiragana....

Time management and multiple goals.
I keep biting more than I can chew and panic, doing nothing but micro-actions that provide me instant gratification.

I think ガン効き means "full blast"
>even though the a/c was on full blast...

You could try nhk easy news or some kid stories 100% hiragana/katakana(assuming you have some kanjiless vocabulary from, say, watching subbed anime). Gratz información learning hiragana

On learning(this silly corrector)*

Question: is Arial Unicode MS still relevant/necessary?
I just formatted a Win7 and it doesn't include it, so I'm guessing it either comes via some service pack or was dropped. Is it present in Win8 and 10?

I still use a backed up version I have from Windows XP SP2, although the few modified joyo kanji from 2005 look fine in this version.

Or has another Unicode font replaced it?

Meiryo is part of the OS by default from Windows 7 onwards, which handles Japanese fine. Arial Unicode MS isn't necessary for Japanese unless you really like that font.

Time to merge with the Japanese thread

Can you just say そうだ or must it be だそうです?

I like it for the versatility. It can include Chink, Nip, Boris and Jew shit all in one convenient font.

When setting up my browser font, for instance, I had to put Meiryo in my recently-formatted PC in order to read Japanese properly, but now I don't know which font it's going to display other languages in. Arial Unicode MS kinda guaranteed a final solution, from English to Hebrew, and I could rest at ease.

I also have no idea how the OS handles all this locally, for filenames and whatnot. Does it use several fonts combined?

(I do like Arial, it's the best font for Roman characters).

Turns out that Microsoft didn't want to pay the license fee to Monotype, who made the font. Apparently you can get it with Microsoft Office but not system wide.
The version 1.01 font is called arialuni.ttf
microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?fmid=1081

It isn't cheap for a license but you can probably find it for free online.
Yes, Microsoft are stingy cunts for not paying for this license any more.

脱退以降の大森の顛末には思うところのある方も、本作のクオリティに再び目を向けてほしいと願っています。

Anyone wanna take a crack at this sentence? The context is an album a review, particularly a solo project from a member of a popular Japanese band. 大森 is the artist, and he left a popular Japanese band (which is what the 脱退以降 is referring to).

"... I implore them to shift their attention once more to the quality of this album."

That's the second half, but I can't put together what's going on in the first half, or at least, the relative clause attached to 方 (which I am assuming to be person here).

I took 方 to be ほう、not かた here, as the reviewer is also taking into considering the circumstances after leaving 大森.
(I don't really know)

lol thanks for making an attempt. I started with ほう as well, but the 2nd half of the makes much more sense if it's 方も is referring to people.

I think the answer lies here

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1010862480

... but frankly I'm done with Japanese wracking my brain today, so I'll worry about it tomorrow.

My thought was, "For those with their own thoughts about what's happened to Oomori since his departure..."
But I'm not confident either.

That sounds a lot more likely reading back over after going through that link with かた in mind.

The seasoning in the left can was changed.
The seasoning in the right can is the old seasoning of the left can.
The reason is a relation in their contract.

>croc-head

What did he mean by this?

The wanikani croc-crab thing.

How do you decide when to press again, hard, or good in the DoJG Anki deck?

Does Kanji get easier to write the more you progress through learning the language?

Kanji gets easier to write the more you write

Which version are you using? The version with the close cards make it pretty easy: you either get the concept right or you don't. For the standard review cards, I read through the entry and hit good, using the deck simply as a review of the grammar to aid reading.

Kanji gets piss easy to write after going through something like RTK. You don't even have to know anything about Japanese with a system like that.

I sometimes see normal japanese words written out in katakana.
Is katakana used as capslock-shouting or bold+underscore sometimes?

Yes. They might also choose to do it because the kanji is not very widely used and because there is too much hiragana attached to the word, so writing in katakana instead of hiragana makes reading a bit clearer. Which wouldn't be necessary if they put the kanji in the first place.