/Grimes/

kate bush who? björk who?
Let's talk about the Queen of Sup Forums. There is not a single day that goes by without us talking about her.
Reminder to be nice to Grimes.

Other urls found in this thread:

dazeddigital.com/music/article/19961/1/grimes-ready-to-fly
stereogum.com/1710871/grimes-shares-13-lessons-on-being-a-boss/news/
electronicbeats.net/the-visions-the-voice-an-interview-with-grimes/
theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/28/grimes-visions-montreal
articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-17/entertainment/chi-grimes-interview-electropop-artist-grimes-profiled-20121017_1_electro-olive-oil-goth
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/who-says-girls-cant-find-music-jane-abernethy-tuneyards-grimes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

She's good but she's no Carl Lee Jensen

shut the fuck up cancer head. Her music is not that good

i hope our grimey has had a good night full of sweet dreams

>I'm not that good for her music.
ftfy

Not my queen.

grimeth found dead in hotel room hanging from the coathanger with her dick in her hand and jith covering the wallth

grimes is good but incomparable to kate bush

The daily Grimes.

she's better than kate bush. she superseded kate in terms of talent, skills and even weirdness. kate is the past, grimes is the present and the future.

completely agree

Canada fag here. I went to school with Claire. AMA

kate is still great, tho. grimes is simply better.

>I went to school with Claire.
proof?

Just ask her

Was she really as much of a reject as she says back then? I saw a yearbook photo she looked pretty attractive, I don't know how she'd be an outcast.

True or nonsense?

She had tons of dork friends.

So then she wasn't an outcast? She says she was a goth or weirdo or some shit. How true is that?

She was the kind of girl you'd see with a Nightmare Before Christmas shirt. She had friends but she wasn't popular at all. I mean, she wasn't considered a hot chick.

here i got some instructions for you guys to help speed up the process a lil bit

Right so I wonder what she meant then. Seems like she did okay. She wasn't a nerdy loser loner or anything.

Did she appear to have any musical inclination while in school? Ie. could anyone see that there was something there?

That's adorable. You learning how to tie your shoes user? I know it's hard to learn when you start, but you'll get it. You'll be learning sailors knots in no time.

I knew she posted music online but that's about it.

So is there any truth to the asian boyfriend thing I heard about her saying in an interview that she was outwardly sort of mocked for that? At least on the street. Suggesting that racism was still alive and a thing in Vancouver.

No I'm teaching you how to tie a noose so you can hang yourself and finally relieve this world of your wretched existence forever

How do you know that my existence is wretched and how does a guy like you know how to spell such intricate words?

She's my guilty pleasure. I wish I didn't share one of her songs with this woman I've been keeping in touch with online though. She was nice enough to pretend she didn't find it childish but now I'm scared I'll never get to see her naked.

You sound like a psycho for some reason

It's one of my many qualities.

Thread: hide

Happy shitposting anons

at least she looked like a goth outcast.

>claire in 2004

you're not good enough for her music, twat

Some Grimes fans behave just like K-pop fans now, really this is cancer, you can't even claim that she is not that great without a butthurt fan coming for your neck, I don't want this fangirl illness to spread more in Sup Forums, i've had enough with Kanye dickriders

Well, if it's any consolation I do not behave like that. I am one of her fans but I don't mind if people chime in about what they think, negative or positive. I'm not trying to control how people think of her. You either like her or you don't. And if you don't, i'm still happy to hear what's on your mind.

And yes, i'd agree to some extent that this sort of waifu'ism is creating a very unhealthy atmosphere surrounding these pop stars.

Pretty attractive me thinks.

Can you stop. Let's not make another caustic thread. Ignore the trolls, or don't. But don't continue with the name calling. Please.

>Let's not make another caustic thread.
How about you don't make another thread in general, ever?

I didn't make the thread. Secondly, this is in /mu not general. Get a map from the front desk. Wait... we're out of maps. Sorry.

>She wasn't a nerdy loser loner or anything.
she kinda was.

>“One of my favourite memories from high school is being accused of throwing a snowball at the Queen,” she says, apropos of nothing. “She was driving through Vancouver for some reason. It was a snow day and everyone was outside. The teachers were like, ‘If anyone throws a snowball, the consequences will be huge.’ Everyone was obviously so amped up, waiting to see if anyone would do it. The Queen drove by and nothing happened. There was this big sigh of relief. Then this single snowball sailed through the air and hit the back of her car. Everyone erupted. It was like a madhouse. I was accused because I was a goth but I didn’t throw it.”

dazeddigital.com/music/article/19961/1/grimes-ready-to-fly

that's why her current success is so much sweeter for her. she proved everyone wrong. from zero to hero. you gotta love this girl.

Reposting.

Fake bitch.

>oh le no. I have a boyfriend and friends but I am such an outcast

I always wonder how the hell someone can go from fuck all to where she is. She says she was lucky. Do you guys think she had help other than her friends? I mean there are a lot of clever people in this world, she seems clever. But the zero to hero types are exceedingly rare.

I say this because the whole angle seems to be that she lived in Montreal basically slumming it until she made it work. But what's strange is that she was going to school for something completely different, got kicked out and yet managed to succeed by even reaching dreams standards. It's almost mythical.

>you can't even claim that she is not that great
then don't do it. an idiot is someone who does the same thing repeatedly and expects different outcomes.

why would you do that? for what purpose?

>you can't even claim that she is not that great without a butthurt fan coming for your neck
literally any fan of any artist that happend to be popular on Sup Forums

>I don't want this fangirl illness to spread more in Sup Forums
you're dumb, see above

>björk who?
BLASPHEMY

thanks, you're better than all of them
>then don't do it
"stop discussing music on Sup Forums!"
>literally any fan of any artist
that's demonstrably false, no other artist provokes that kind of reaction

>no other artist provokes that kind of reaction
>literally who are death grips, radiohead, kanye west, kendrick lamar, bowie, etc

Way less of their fans are as knee-jerk/spergy as Grimes fans.

>Way less of their fans are as knee-jerk/spergy as Grimes fans.
that's demonstrably false

I think some people in these threads are very intensely into her and are perhaps compensating for a lack of stimulation in their lives -- think sports fans and how crazy they can get.

The admiration is cool so long as it's kept in check. I think some people are failing to check themselves and, like some sports fans, going a little wacky (eg. like when their team loses they go insane).

go look in the archive mate. at least dg fans and kanye fans don't ask the people criticizing the artist why they discuss music here.

Yeah, I like Grimes but that really is the problem

>I always wonder how the hell someone can go from fuck all to where she is.
She's very ambitious. Read this: stereogum.com/1710871/grimes-shares-13-lessons-on-being-a-boss/news/

Grimes @ dem haterz:

>The point is, listening to haters is pointless. People are judgmental about everything—often because they feel threatened. Ignore them. I think this applies to any business or creative thing, because tomorrow’s world will not look like today’s. Doing something different is probably better than doing the same things that other people do.

is there any more like this

any more like that web m

>But what's strange is that she was going to school for something completely different, got kicked out and yet managed to succeed by even reaching dreams standards. It's almost mythical.
She's one of those rare cases of achieving success despite the odds being against her. Basically she kicked her career in science for music. She did everything she could to succeed in music.

>Well, I do feel like that, kind of. I would rather fucking die than have a normal job again. Especially now that I haven’t had to work for a year, the thought of going back to a regular life…even though what I’m doing now is obviously really difficult and lonely and weird, I just don’t want to end up like my parents. Why would you work at a job that sucks, to pay rent, just to have a place to live so you can work a job? That thought horrifies me so much. I think you shouldn’t have to work. Everyone spends eight hours a day with something they don’t wanna do, thats terrible. That’s like a nightmare. I’ve done a few things that I didn’t necessarily wanna do but I needed the money, but at the end of the day who cares? It doesn’t matter that much.
electronicbeats.net/the-visions-the-voice-an-interview-with-grimes/

>"I was like: 'Fuck, I could die. We could all die, at any time. Why the hell am I wasting my time? I'm just going to do what I want to do for the rest of my life. I don't need money.'" To the mild horror of her parents, Claire turned her back on the world of brain biology to pursue Grimes full time. "I've completely fucked my life," she admits cheerily. "I don't live anywhere, I don't see my friends. You have to sacrifice a lot of things to do this. But the pay-off is this incredible freedom."
theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/28/grimes-visions-montreal

>She started developing an act when she bribed a friend to give her some technology lessons. “Kyle was homeless, living in a band’s jam space, and I traded him two cans of chick peas and some olive oil in exchange for teaching me how to use a sampler. What was strange about that experience is that Kyle had no idea what olive oil was until that day.”

>Kyle taught her well. “The thing about music is it’s not an obscure pursuit, it’s a very natural thing for human beings to do,” Boucher says. “Once you put in the effort, the learning curve is very fast.”

>She learned by doing. Boucher took gigs anywhere she could find them, playing shows in basements, lofts and bars with no monitors, and became more demonstrative and assertive as a singer and dancer behind her keyboards and sampler. “I was really poor and desperate,” she says. “I was driven by the idea that I had no other options.”

>She self-released a couple of albums in 2010, which expanded her audience. The next year she recorded the album that would become her 2012 4AD debut, “Visions,” in her bedroom with a keyboard, computer, computer interface and microphone – a few hundred dollars worth of gear. “Visions” was soaked in the ambiance of that room: dark, danceable, introspective, unsettling.

articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-17/entertainment/chi-grimes-interview-electropop-artist-grimes-profiled-20121017_1_electro-olive-oil-goth

Don't underestimate how desperation could make you very ambitious.

Thanks for the responses. I'm reading through some of these articles so i'll come back and make a comment in a few mins.

See, this is why I come in here. Fuck, this is fascinating! Wade through some shit in these threads, and by golly, there be gold.

Thanks man, I like some of her work too, you seem like a normal person unlike these crazy fanboys
Some of these idiots don't understand their behavior is the classic example of irrational idolatry, they aren't better than a 12yo jb fan that thinks he's the new Michael Jackson
This, it's very common in gaming community and pop culture as well, really there's nothing you can do with insecure obtuse fans that will kill themselves if they don't get validation from others.
This is the last time I open a Grimes thread I'm still going to listen to her music tho, please stop ruining Grimes for everybody, stop kissing her ass with these threads.

thanks i live for this desu,
how do i go about finding more

For sure. I'm also into gaming and the fanboyism is rampant in that (PS4 v. XB1 v. PC). Also cars, which is my passion, and fanboyism is fucking insane in that realm (eg. domestic v. imports).

This is all going to continue on. And yes, you've hit the nail on the head. It's all about self validation. People feel threatened when their individual interests are not validated by reflecting what they, themselves, feel. Whatever contradicts their internal narrative, they get angry about.

All in all, I think some just need to have a long hard look at themselves and see if what they're doing is healthy for them. Too many followers and repeaters in this world. I respect the people who have the courage to be individuals.

expect anything else from 21st century females?

she comes from a wealthy family and has worked with other privileged white fucks, so no, it wasnt luck. Just daddys trust fundies

I couldn't have put it better myself
>Too many followers and repeaters in this world. I respect the people who have the courage to be individual
Same here, thanks for replying

I'd be quick to point that out if I thought that was true. However, as her backstory demonstrates or at least shows quite prominently, she lived frugally. Shopped at thrift stores all the time and didn't seem to be encumbered by most of what encumbers most people these days.

A few of her stories, if true (I have no reason to doubt her), suggests that she was living without heat in Montreal (I think if this is true, it's kind of insane). As in one interview she mentions her not being able to feel her feet. This lends to the reasons why she chose to run off to California which has a far nicer climate.

I've considered moving southwards myself as i've become quite sick of winters here.

stay so you can freeze to death

bullshit. she wasn't in very good relationship with her family for a while. for some years she was on her own. yes, it wasn't luck: it was ambition, hard work and talent. her repuation grew through word of mouth and by the time she signed to 4ad in late 2011 she was already fairly known: noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/who-says-girls-cant-find-music-jane-abernethy-tuneyards-grimes

>Because of the internet, there’s so much information all the time. It’s not about when you hear about someone, it’s about when they grab your attention so hard you can’t ignore it anymore. With Grimes, I was already aware of her, she’d made two albums and an EP. I was on my way to Pop Montreal, and I met her manager at the time, who ran the label she was on, and found out that they were looking for a partnership, someone that they could work with outside of Canada. Her music at that point was not obviously commercial, so they were talking to independent labels. There were a lot who really liked her, but I remember Claire saying we were pretty much the only ones who would take Visions and put it out just as it was, other labels apparently asked for her to rework it with a producer.

>The other thing I would say about Grimes is that there was so much happening around her at that time that I assumed she was already working with a bigger label. The first time I went to see her play and I was kicking myself for missing that opportunity. It was the best show I’d seen for a new artist at that time. The next day I met her manager and they said they were looking for partners and I literally ran back to my room to email my boss her record. What I’m trying to say is that you don’t need a label anymore to get things started, a good label will enhance what you are already doing. By the time Claire was signed, she was already releasing records on a small imprint, touring and doing interviews, and she had a visual presence. These days, a label has the most impact if you’ve already got the wheels in motion before they’ve got involved.

im pretty sure both grimes and bjork hate Sup Forums and are disgusted by all of you

Hahahaha. Nah, we're well adapted here. Got the anti-freeze injection when I was a baby. 'Course we're not supposed to talk about that.

no shit, look at these deplorables

Yeah, okay there. Calm your tits.

yeah

we fucking hate you..

Who's 'we' ? You talking for all of /mu, or all of Sup Forums for that matter?

Is that supposed to be art? Or some some sort of Grimes protest? I don't get it. Waste of some good meat btw. Should have put them on the bbq.

pointing at Sup Forums? : O

wow, eating MEAT? What kind of fucking savage beast are you. Absolutely disgusting

typical autistic grimes fan with zero reading comprehension

If eating meat makes me a savage, then by golly gosh, I must be a savage. LOL. Meat is fucking delicious.

it was probably something designed to garner this exact butthurt response

yuh its art

Grimes should fall off stage and die.

yea so butthurt and TRIGGERED XD by being confused

right mate, right

>yeah
>we fucking hate you..

We was not specified. Nor was you. Context is important here user.

It would be hilarious if Grimes died

lol someone send this to her twitter

What part of my response was butthurt? I'm more offended by the waste of lambchop or whatever that is than the grimes stuff in the bathtub. I mean it seems like buddy paid for that shit already so he only really fucked himself really.

Aren't you just a bundle of joy.

you posted the exact same pic in the other thread you idiot

if you're trying to hate at least not make it obvious you're a samefag

oh my bad i thought you were replying to my post.

but ive seen some posts on here that sort of make me feel like bjork lurks this board and sometimes posts even though she hates it. i dont know about grimes, but i know m.i.a has been on here a few times. makes you wonder...

Grimes has herpes FYI

It's even worse. He's a copy pasta fag. Can't even come up with his own shit. Typical troll. Big, but not too bright.

I'm just shitposting mate, no idea what you're talking about. That's a pretty common meme here.

Not a fan of Bjork. In fact the only song of hers I ever liked was that 'Army of Me' song. MIA is pretty good. Some catchy shit in her catalogue.

No idea what your post was... sorry. Ah, the joys of us all being anonymous. We have no idea who we're talking to lol.

Its the exact same name as the one you posted, stop playing dumb you fucking amateur. If you're going to be hater fag at least do it right

How do you know? Did you kiss her and turn into a goblin?

No, I fucked her and I have herpes.