Who's the most overrated writer in Hollywood and why is it Charlie Kaufman?

Who's the most overrated writer in Hollywood and why is it Charlie Kaufman?

He's great they just need to put in a strict NO PUPPETS rule for any of his remaining projects

>Adaptation
>overrated

are you 12?

Don't tell me you're actually impressed with Kaufman writing himself as the ever lonely and awkward but always intellectually superior beta faggot that Nic Cage was in this movie, are you? Just because a movie has a meta ending doesn't mean it's not dogshit.

the entire movie is meta

if you missed that you can claim to have understood anything about it

Jesus fuck, this must be what it was like when people finally started watching citizen kane or something. You couldn't have purposely missed the fucking point of a movie if you tried, and yet, here you are.

Sure it was. So what? It was still just Kaufman wanking about how much better he was than everyone else in Hollywood while giving us next to nothing of value.

The parts of the movie that were straight adaptations of The Orchid Thief were more interesting than anything else.

Oh my fucking god. The reason Kaufmans character was anything, was because of studio meddling, no not irl, though possibly, it was because of earlier scenes where the studio execs said there must be a strong leading character and a love story and a fucking car chase...

You dense motherfucker.

>le conventional Hollywood movies are so stupid, meta movies about suffering beta faggots who whine about Hollywood conventions are so clever
I don't care about the backstory, faggot. I care about the movie, and the movie was Kaufman pretending like he's the first person ever to realize that Hollywood thrillers are implausible.

you can call anything "wanking" if you want. doesnt change anything

the movie is about storytelling

it tells a story about a story about a story

the fact that it can be watched and fully understood and enjoyed is because its written in a way that it unfolds incorporating elements of a layer into the next one and so on

Literally, the point of the movie was that the movie that Kaufman wanted to make didn't have any of what the movie ended up being in it. The movie he wanted to make was a true adaptation of the novel, the point of the movie is how hollywood elites and studio execs force every movie that comes out to fit a fucking model, test well for focus groups, etc. They require twist endings, bizarre character interactions, strong leading men, love stories, shit blowing up unnecessarily. You get to watch a movie get further and further away from the vision of the writer in real fucking time.

Jesus fuck you're a dense motherfucker.
"
And, no, that's your fucking opinion, he never fucking said that, in fact he is rather obviously quoting others about the facts as they are.

Also, this isn't backstory, it's in the fucking movie. You literally hate wanked your way through the movie missing fucking everything. Nothing I have said is backstory, everything I said is presented in the first 20 minutes of the movie....

>it tells a story about a story about a story
So do lots of movies, Adaptation isn't unique in that respect.

I'm sorry, what's your point, who the fuck said it was unique? Does a movie have to be unique to be a good, entertaining, intellectually stimulating film?

Memento is pretty fucking unique, does that make it some sort of classic? Does that make it even Good?

b-but I like Adaptation :(

If you don't like Charlie Kaufman, you're literally nu/tv/

SORKIN
O
R
K
I
N

Fuck you I liked Anamolisa

who cares?

what matters is that it was skillfully done.

>I'm sorry, what's your point, who the fuck said it was unique? Does a movie have to be unique to be a good, entertaining, intellectually stimulating film?
Not at all, but then Adaptation isn't stimulating. It makes all the pretenses of being stimulating that it can, what with everybody but Kaufman being a vapid imbecile who can't appreciate deep, thoughtful art like he can, but painting everyone else as stupid doesn't actually make him smart.

>Memento is pretty fucking unique, does that make it some sort of classic? Does that make it even Good?
Memento is better than Adaptation, at least.

You should just give up on good movies, stick to shit like suicide squad. I'm sure you make an excellent meme thread about BVS being better than the Avengers. Stick to your strengths kid.

Also, being an edgelord turbofaggot is only cool till you graduate high school, once you get into college that shit isn't tolerated.

by your reasoning, it doesn't mean that it is dogshit either. movies are subjective, as is reality but I suppose that concept is lost on people like you leading you to create this thread

>what with everybody but Kaufman being a vapid imbecile who can't appreciate deep, thoughtful art like he can, but painting everyone else as stupid doesn't actually make him smart.

do you identify with studio people?

do you think BvS is """kino""""?

>Memento is better than Adaptation, at least.

confirmed underage

>if you don't like Charlie Kaufman, you must be a capeshit fan!
Wow, he must be a brilliant writer to have attracted such a rhetorically sharp fanbase.

Don't worry young contrarian, someday you'll be able to voice your love of men wearing spandex and quipping to one another in film in a place where your opinion will be embraced. You don't have to try to make that leap now, here.

Just for funsies, I'll explain why Memento is a well shot, stylish, initially interesting, terrible film. It's literally a 1 time experience.Once you know the twist at the "end" or "beginning, hur huurrr, aren't I smart" The move is no longer enjoyable. It's almost satire how much the entire movie sat on that fucking twist ending.

I've watched and enjoyed a ton of terrible movies for lots of different reasons. I just made a friend of mine watch the Gate, a terrible, textbook , 80s horror film,. which is about 90% cheesy with a few psychologically damaging elements. The only reason I shared that film is because it made me feel something when I was a child. I had fucking nightmares about my parents coming home after the house fell down into hell and just falling apart into demons. That was worth sharing.

The point is, I'm not someone who fucking cares, generally, if a movie is good or not, but it has to have a draw. Adaptation is a puzzle, it's thrown on the table, you got all the pieces, right at the start, and you can put it together, in real time as it goes. Memento is the opposite of that, Memento is a movie where the puzzle pieces only make sense when you have 1 critical piece of information that only exists at the end, it's not enjoyable in any other way. There are no memorable moments, the script is weak as shit, the story is straight forward, there's never even a fucking laugh in the whole thing. I actually felt cheated by that film.

what the flying fuck? i've rewatched memento lots of times and I actually felt sad more how Leonard was manipulated to the events that surrounds him.

Well, I apologize, it literally does nothing for me. It's shot well., stylish as hell, but boring after you know the twist. I love the 2 mains, but it's never worth watching again.

But, if you find it fun, maybe I'll give it another try, just to make sure I'm not missing something.

Charlie Kauffman is the Thomas Pynchon of movies.
Ultimately the work is entirely up to how the viewer interprets it. Without people discussing the work, the work itself is just empty.
This is a pure PoMo approach. Synecdoche New York is the perfect example of this. Because you do not know what is going on you are doing your best to figure out what is going on. There must be something more to this. Especially when Kauffman uses meisner actors most of the time.

The hollier than thou attitude taken by Charlie Kaufman character in this movie is the reason for his miserable life, it's not supposed to be positive, just relatable.

op is confimed to be a dumb bitch