Contrarian Opinions Thread

The Glowing Man > The Seer > To Be Kind

nu metal isn't a bad genre, granted most of it is shit but Deftones and SOAD exists

although still "art music" in a sense, electroacoustic composers like Stockhausen and Schulze can't be considered classical music and neither can Glenn Branca as they don't use chamber instrumentation

Let My Children Hear Music > Black Saint

yeezus is superior to anything by death grips in every single way

Quebec is the best Ween's album

I don't care about the Beatles
NMH is shit
Reggae is good
Bob Marley is overrated and there are better reggae artists
Country is my favorite genre

moonchild is the best track on the album

The Bends > Amnesiac > The King Of Limbs > OK Computer > AMSP > In Rainbows > Kid A > HTTT > Pablo Honey

that's not really contrarian
agreed desu

*Moonchild is the best King Crimson track.

Animal Collective havent made a bad album

Common As Light is the first avant garde album in a long time

Yeezus is Kanye's best album

White Pepper is Ween's best album

Ornette Coleman is the worst of the popular jazz artists, but "free jazz"
(album) is a masterpiece

Only reason I didn't say this is because I've just recently started getting into them and have only really listened to ItCotCK. It's my favorite so far, though.

*the first 2 mins of moonchild

>Common As Light is the first avant garde album in a long time

explain this one please

Animal Collective haven't made a good album

I think Slipknot's debut was the peak of nu-metal, and I didn't really feel SOAD or Deftones
I can agree with that

Nowhere >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Souvlaki >>> Loveless

I agree except the yeezy part

I love you for holding that opinion, but can't say I agree. Nowhere is still one of my fav albums tho

Yes, Nu-Metal was pretty good for a while and bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed and Slipknot have all made good albums.

I disagree on classical music. Only music from the classical period of mid 18th to early 19th century should be called classical and instrumention has nothing to do with it. "Western Art Music" is a better term and genres like "neo-classical" and "modern classical" have nothing to do with classicism.

Oasis is the greatest British rock band.

Squeeze is an 8/10

Children of God >>>>>>> Any other Swans record

I really like Faust Arp, and I don't really get the hate

j dilla ruined hip-hop forever

how

pic related is better than the 2 last Talk Talk albums

Currents is the worst tame impala album

pic related is the superior BP album

It isn't very good.

Blonde is better than Channel Orange

More Songs is the best Talking Heads album, Fear of Music is the worst of the first five
Tago Mago is easily the worst of the big three Can albums, also worse than Monster Movie
Atom Heart Mother, A Saucerful of Secrets and Meddle are all way better than Animals, and also slightly better than DSOTM
Discipline and SABB > LTIA and ITCOTCK

Nonironically agreed.

TKOL and HTTT were good albums
The Bends was a bad album overall

This is the best thing math-rock has ever produced.

Not contrarian (at least here) at all.

Contrarian but I agree with you.

My contrarian opinion:
Mm...Food is Doom's best project.

No Prayer for the Dying > Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

animal collective and swans are shit

The Bends is boring as fuck

The Glow Part 2 is boring as fuck

Los Angeles >> Cosmogramma

Madvillainy is ridiculously overrated

The Seer and To Be Kind suck with the exception of a couple songs from each

Paul's Boutique aged like absolute shit and The Beastie Boys are garbage MCs

You're right, lacks in comparison with the other songs but fits perfectly in the album, in the middle.

Thom and Jonny going to the outside and playing it in Scotish Mist is just magic.

ok maybe "in a long time" is a stretch but NOTHING sounds like it, so I think it deserves that label

>The Beastie Boys are garbage MCs
Get off my board

(OP)
Best Kendrick album

Faust Arp gets hate? Surprising, I always liked it a lot. More than All I Need and House of Cards

Brave new world is their best album

Bruce Dickinsons vocals Ruin Iron Maiden

Neutral Milk Hotel got progressively worse as they released more material

Smashing Pumpkins are one of the most overrated bands of all time. They never released a good album and have some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard. Also Disarm is one of the worst songs of the 90s.

Yeezus is the best Kanye album.

they have eps and stuff

Swans is awful. the lars von trier of music

K-Dot raps about stuff that only sounds deep. If you really listen to him, hes no different than any other "conscious" rapper. He only stood out do to the current cultural climate.

I don't like it when jazz tries to sound like rock music and vice versa

ambient music isn't worth forming an opinion on. I listen to ambient music for mental wallpaper as most do, but rarely do pieces warrant being analysed in anyway, there is not enough there.

poptimism has worn out its welcome.

the mumble rap shit ages pretty terribly. some of it sounds great when it comes out, but after a week or two, im done with. might not be that contrarian though considering how quickly these rappers fall off the map.

Most krautrock is a pile of pretentious fucking garbage. Especially Faust, I sincerely believe that people only enjoy that band to fit in with other pseuds.

Ariel Pink stopped being good when he got signed to 4AD And did Before Today. Pom Pom shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Doldrums or Scared Famous.

nah Smashing Pumpkins are GOAT and Billy is one of the most underrated rock guitarists ever

>Yeezus is the best Kanye album
this explains everything u just dumb lmao

they stopped being a punk band from the South and started being an outlet for Mangum's solo songwriting with occasional ensemble breaks
everything is by no means predicts ITAOTS, but I still unironically enjoy ITAOTS

>Pom Pom shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Doldrums or Scared Famous
this so much, although I did like Before Today along with his new single

frontier psychiatrist is one of the worst songs on SILY, and this is more of a subjective thing but I think I like Wildflower more out of the 2
Ween would be a much better band if they stopped doing all the goofy silly shit they do, but when they're good they're incredibly good
Damn is really shitty
the new Death Grips EP/mix/whatever is the most interesting and worthwhile thing they've done since NLDW

Better than Discovery

I like every Slipknot album to a point. All Hope is Gone wasn't that good though.

No Love Deep Web is overrated, but still better than Government Plates

>Yeezus is the best Kanye album.

>No Love Deep Web is overrated
Thank you. People forget how frontloaded it is

Swans are not good, Michael Gira has probably done a rape.

>Swans is awful. the lars von trier of music

Great way of putting it, although I like a bit of both artist's work.

>poptimism has worn out its welcome.

I like the extremist poptimism, PC Music and Kero Kero Bonito, it's just that a lot of pop is bland and shitty

>the mumble rap shit ages pretty terribly.

It'll be looked back on like riot grrrl music, newer generations will discover it, listen to it for a month, and then get tired of it.

take it back

I like the album, but there is a lot of repetitive and forgettable filler that bog it down

also nice dubs

pic related is MUCH better than ITAOTS

this album is genuinely awful

This is Richard's best album

I unironically enjoy Pearl Jam in general and more so than Nirvana.

first one is very true, they haven't made a bad album

King of limbs is better than their other albums by miles

yeah

Amnesiac is kid a but better

Curve are a far better band than either Slowdive or My Bloody Valentine.

sunflower is best beach boys

Souvlaki > Loveless >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nowhere imo

With the exception of Diamond Dogs (and possibly Aladdin Sane) this album is better than all of his 70s works.

Ok I can understand that you like Smashing Pumpkins. A lot of people do, and I know that me hating them is pretty unpopular.

BUT how in the honest fuck could anyone ever consider Billy an underrated guitarist? Literally name one unique, innovative, or original thing he ever did on the guitar, ever. Anyone with a Big Muff and knowledge of octave chords is almost instantly on the level of Billy.