Can someone help me understand this movie?

Can someone help me understand this movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasmatodea
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The trick is to understand that he was both master and commander the whole time.

Post feet first

Are you a woman? If so there's no hope.

watched it with my bf years ago and it was so stupid. Just some ugly brits on a ship sailing around? Kinda gay desu if you ask me.

Are you a fuckboy?

white imperialists dupe the proletariat crew into carrying their illegal war into a new corner of the world

only the bittersweet and forbidden romance between the captain and the doctor saves this turd of a movie

Alright i'm gonna use my English major for something and write a small analysis. Give me a second

>oh boy here we go.jpg

This movie is basically a story about evolution/adaptation.

This especially becomes obvious with the many references to Darwinism (for example galapagos islands and all the animals on them)

This Darwinism also is reflected on the crewmembers of the movie, as they have to adapt to the situation they find themselves in. The kid needs to learn to live without his arm. The doc has to come to terms with the fact that the mission is more important. Jack has to learn new tricks to best the French (which he actually doesn't in the end.)

So in this sense you could call it a sort of coming of age story too, especially if you look at the example of the kid. He is the new generation, and cannot just become like Jack in these newer times. He has to evolve to the next stage. This is why he is shown taking interest in the scientific research of the doctor, while still maintaining a good leadership in combat (as seen in the last fight).

This can also be seen in the conflict between the younger French captain, and Captain Jack. Jack is of the old school of captain's, and thus he has a lot of experience and tricks up his sleeve, but in the end, he gets tricked by the French captain, as he uses a new strategy that Jack had not even considered. The French captain is in actuality the walking stick, which Jack thought he was in the first place (which is also a payoff to the doctor calling Jack the predator, rather than the prey.)

I'm running out of space to write, so I'm just going to end it at this. You could make more analysis on the evolution/adaptation of the crew, or the lack thereof, in the case of the Hollom guy, who killed himself (Survival of the fittest.)

Brokeback Mountain, but on a boat.

I watched this with my mother last week and she loved it. You guys are worse than 9gag with your stupid memes

neat

Actually he isn't master and commander, but post-captain which is why the title of the film is misleading.

I'm a girl and I understand this movie. It's about slavery, right? The ship Russel Crowe was trying to catch was a slave ship and he was trying to stop it from reaching the concentration camps, right? That's why they showed that scene of them trading with the brown people, because they were friends with the slaves and wanted to protect them.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

woman detected

Karl pls go

Very convincing. 7/10

but did she understand it?

>The French captain is in actuality the walking stick
Good post but I don't understand the term here.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasmatodea

Ah right ok! We call them Stick Insects in the UK as walking stick is a cane.

I should've called them that, as well. I accidentally used the direct translation from my first language.

Sorry user, but women will never be able to understand this.

Said no man ever

Seriously, why is this a meme? It's a good film.

It's a meme because women don't get it

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

I don't get the meme. What does that make me?

a woman(male)
it's okay you can be accepted for what you are on a great board for people like you

That's pretty funny desu.

But seriously, why don't women get the film?

>It's really only a movie about a ship where the master and commander reside

This is why humanities/arts degrees are fucking pointless. Overthinking is the only thing they are good for.

That's the meme.

Also women aren't capable of understanding much of the male-created notions woven into the story. (Honor, chivalry, love for one's people/homeland, etc.)

because they can't see past the homogay relationship to see the thoughtful examinations of war and hardships effect on men, and how relationships fuck everything up in war
they also don't relate to anyone because women don't have any sense of camaraderie
alternatively it's a meme that you'll never get because you're a filthy roastie

>overthinking

Sorry, over-analyzing.

I get this. I agree that most woman don't get the fraternal bond and think all relationships most involved romantic love. Therefore, most women wont get the film.
Fair play Sup Forums, you're pretty clever sometimes.

most of the people on 4chaim don't know any bond past that of anonymous tardfucks on bhutanese wood-turning forums
It's more than what those harlots have though, only reddit would truly hate their peers and not just have some banter

Once again, at this point Aubrey has been promoted to post-captain, he is no longer master and commander.

it's a fucking time piece reflecting on a way life and sense of duty that has been lost.

Only idiots think you can think about something too much.

>thinking in one dimension

Only women think in one dimension

This.

Master & Commander is the name of the first book in the Aubrey-Maturin series, written by Patrick O'Brian.

I suggest to anyone who liked this movie to download the book series (its on IRC) as it is very cinematic and easy to read. There are 20 complete books with the 21st one being unifinished cause O'Brian died before he could finish it.

Have you got a link for that? I've been looking for them all online, but have only been able to find the first one

Do people not like this movie?
I liked it but I'm pleb.

Sigh....Its a great movie. Everyone thinks so. Its just that women cant understand it

Get with the times gramps

why didn't they just turn back?

Why would they

they were only ordered to follow the ship to brazil

Come to Brazil

And somehow the crew aren't white

>(((bolshevist))) """logic"""