I just found out an old friend killed himself a few months ago

I just found out an old friend killed himself a few months ago

I spoke to him basically every day on steam for the past 5 years

How do I deal with this
I'm crying really hard right now

why the fuck didnt he tell me what he was feeling? I would have bought a fucking plane ticket without hesitation

help

he stopped coming online all of a sudden

took months before his sister replied to me on facebook and told me the news

whats the fucking point of life

im so sad guys

He gave up. He stopped reaching out. Don't do the same.

thats the most slavic goddamn pic ive ever seen

>His name is The Doctor

Sorry OP there's no way I can help you stop being a crybaby..it was his life to do what he wanted with now quit being a bitch and go the fuck outside

You were probably his only relief. He didn't talk to you about it because he didn't wan't to loose that.

thanks for the replies I thought this thread would die without anyone seeing it

Sorry for your loss.

I'm going to say you're not too old, huh? Maybe under 20? Expect a lot more loss in your life. Humans die. Events are unexpected. Your girlfriend could step out in front of a bus tomorrow because she didn't know how to deal with her greif. And she was just so good at hiding it.

The best thing you can do right now is ask people how they truly are. Even if they don't talk back, they'll know there's someone who cares.

>tl;dr: expect the unexpected and prepare for anything.

Lord knows, you were probably the one who prolonged his life for five more years. Good job.

im 29

No problem fam-u.

Its not the first friend dying I've experienced,

but I've never had a friend commit suicide

I could have fucking helped him

Your friend just did you a favor. He saved you from listening to his bullshit and watching him make a slow-moving wreck out of his life and everyone else's he knew including yours, for decades. He won't end up on heroin and drag you through all that, he won't fuck your wife and cost you your marriage, he won't rape your 8yo daughter and you won't shoot him and end up on death row.

All human life comes to an end. Instead of waiting around for it to come to him, terrified of it his whole life, he had the balls to meet it head on and took control of it himself. Your friend was both stuck in a life clearly less worth living than those who drag theirs out, and strong-willed enough to do something about it.

Your friend was one of the good ones. He lived, until he died, and that is the best any of us can say.

But if you talked to him erryday for 5 years, how did you not notice he died a few months ago? Who were you talking to all that time?

Hour could you have helped him?

People with severe depression are incredibly good at putting on a good face. They've been doing it for years. It's sorta a way to try to convince themselves they are ok. They go through the motions and hope that they will feel something one day again if they just keep going. Then one day, they lose that hope. And that's it.

I miss Chris too. and so does Soundgarden.

We'll you don't know that. You might have been able to help him, but that was when he wasn't suicidal. You may have helped him through moths or years of pain, who knows. But once you're truly suicidal, no one can help you. And clearly he was truly suicidal. So no, you had nothing to do with it.

i noticed he stopped coming online to steam and he stopped responding to my snapchat messages

it was months of wondering where he went or what was wrong. best case scenario in my mind was he got put in prison maybe. worst case scenario was confirmed today.

I would have bought him a plane ticket and given him a fresh start in life. he lived in germany and i am in the US, I would have let him stay with me as long as he needed

"The person in whom its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a bruning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t’ and ‘Hang On!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

I get that you had a plan, but how would you have known he was sad? Did he tell you?

no of course i did not know

I had no idea he was feeling like this

They why do you feel that you could have helped him? You had no way of knowing. Life was normal.

Was he very intelligent? If so, then he probably reached suicide as logical conclusion. At that point, there is nothing you or anyone else can do or say. You can't change the nature of the universe user, and you can't talk someone out of a logical conclusion based on reality.

Most if us delude ourselves with all manner of fantasies of grandeur to get through the day, and walk around with heads full of mythologies that human life is so wonderful it's worth living each and every day you can. But that is not based in subjective reality, and those that do not have the luxury of going through life in that rosy daydream often come to their own logical conclusion based on reality instead. Your friend never asked to be born unto this world, and owed the world nothing. Your ideas of stopping him from ending his life now instead of, say, 3 years from now in a car accident, or 12 years from now after a 10 year excruciating battle with cancer, is only "helping" in if he were living your life. But he was living his, not yours, so short of changing the nature of the human animal, and the world it has created, the only help you could have provided was making his time among us less miserable, which you probably did.

That's it.

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Sounds like it's your fault mate. You probably missed a distress call. He was crying out for your help and you messed up.
These things happen man. Just grow and learn.
Doctor says "at least you feel the guilt"

fuck

youre probably right tbh

I guess its just hard to notice a distress call when your main interaction is through steam chat

Goddam nigger this isnt tumbler. U want a shoulder to cry on then u are in the wrong place. Fucker killed himself. Get the fuck over it faggot

thanks Sup Forums never change

fuck i was eating