Event Horizon Shenanigans

So Sup Forums I just finished watching Event Horizon. Overall I enjoyed the film, I think that it was strongest in the first half and established the story and the characters quite well while the second half was the weakest. One particular character that stood out was Cooper played by Richard T. Jones. He stood out because he was the comic relief and that at times seemed to push the film into parody. While his interactions were believable with the other crew members his character seemed out of place in a film. This could be in part because he A) Didnt spend much time on the ship and so had no hallucinations and B) He had no clear faults as a human, he was never serious and always cheery whereas all the other characters were and it was something that I think is expected from a psychological horror. The prime example is this:
>Gets blown off the ship into space
>Punctures his pack to get him back to Neptune when he is likely to be hundreds if not a thousand kilometers into space (You can see the planets curvature) and he is attached to a piece of fast spinning debris.
>Miraculously arrives back right in front of the Event Horizon.
>Gets blown back out into space by a harpoon that depressurizes the cabin.
>Gets back onto the ship again.

Overall he was an offbeat character that cracked jokes and was never affected by the story in any way at all besides it making him repair the ship. I found it humorous at times but overall bizarre.

So Sup Forums what did you think of Event Horizon? and are there any other films like this with whacky characters like this?

can someone summarize on how the fuck they ended up in hell and brought hell to them ?

Yeah, I am not so sure about that myself. I suspect it is meant to be the actual monster of the film as opposed to Sam Neil. You don't actually see it so you use your imagination to create it. All you get is some sort of idea that is meant to be some sort of incomprehensible dimension where it somehow becomes possessed and there is this essence in the ship that is doing the work. Something like that. Basically:
>They go to bad place.
>Bad place is unexplained but we know it is bad and unexplainable as it is a purely chaotic realm (Which is said by Sam Neil).
>Bad doesn't stay in bad realm and travels through worm hole back to our dimension and infects everything with bad.

Its like the fel in Warcraft if you have played the game and/or seen the film.

Shameful self bump.

all those possesed crew
so they were demon right?

It wasn't hell! No where in the movie did they ever say it was hell. It was a dimension that was so horrible and inhuman that the only word in the English language you could describe it with was 'hell', that's what they said in the movie, but it wasn't hell.

>but it wasn't hell.
so essentially hell
so how does weir survive the space?
does that mean the survivor is in hell ?

He could see without eyes, space was the least of his problems.

woah so who was the burning man?
so unknown dimension=hellish dimension

i love this movie so comfy it is

The burning man is a traumatic memory the black guy had from the war or something. They used his image to fuck with him.

To travel faster than light, a ship has to pass through hell. Of course, without the appropriate shielding, there is no keeping the crew safe from the demons within. It would take a few thousand years before that shielding could be found, but once it was, ships could pass through the madness unscathed...most of the time.

so i heard there was orgy scene
any link?

Long lost. That footage has vanished into the warp.

It is seen in the original cut briefly through the ships records. There is an extended version I think which I think may be available somewhere.

Unpopular opinion, there was no "hell" or anything like that, they all had their own demons (the captain leaving the man behind to die, dr weir blaming himself for his wife/girlfriends suicide because of his work on the ship, the disabled son) which multiplied once the oxygen started to run low and CO2 caused them to hallucinate.

I do not think the crew were demons but I do think they were possessed as they lapsed in and out of delusions that had taken control of them with the exception of Weir (Sam Neil) who was more embracing of them (Probably for the sake of the plot).

Because the film is so derivative the character is obviously based on Yaphet Kotto in Alien

by ripping off Alien, The Shining, and Hellblazer

I can accept that but it doesn't fully explain the supernatural elements in it like the tanks filling with blood and exploding and Weir being able to see despite having his eyes removed (Either by himself or by the hallucination of his wife). I think if it is supernatural it is something which gets stronger and at some point moves from being a hallucination to being briefly materialized, which would explain how Weir could've been blinded by his wife.

hahaahaa
no

Perhaps but all I can see is that they were both black.Yaphet wasn't a whacky comic relief he was a serious character that was affected by the stress of his situation, he argued with his crew members over the right course of action and so on. Cooper didn't. if anything Yaphet shares more similarity with Fishburnes Character.

wait, have I been on v this whole time?

but this guy seemed pretty happy with his SPOILERS))))bonus situation(((((spoiling

I don't understand.

fuck off reddit

You could argue that it was all in their minds : ^ )

Yeah sure, it is open ended enough but the film does seem to point to there being a distinction between sanity and insanity as the movie progresses.

WE WUZ ABOS N SHIT