Any alcoholics here? My wife's been trying to get sober for 8 years but hasn't been able to...

Any alcoholics here? My wife's been trying to get sober for 8 years but hasn't been able to. Is it really that hard to just stop?

I mean the withdrawals can kill you it's smart to just go to the hospital

Wut

It's like crack. It is always a nagging thought in the back of your mind

8 years? yeah like the other user said, that shit'll kill you. she needs a rehab or hospital. Alcohol is the worst thing to withdraw from, it kills the most people.

Alcohol withdrawals can cause delirium tremens and seizures, also death.

She's done all that shit. I honestly think she can stop whenever she wants but for some reason she just won't

was picked up by a totally hot petite alcoholic milf last night who was buying hard cider at a gas station. Took me back to her place (10yo daughter was gone to be with her dad cause mom's a fuck up). Hours speed talking to me while she modeled various hot lingerie and I felt her up and kissed her, amazing fuck.

Thats not the problem because she isn't stopping so not going through withdrawal

Can't force anyone to stop. They need to decide for themselves.

Yeah, its like asking somebody to kill a part of themselves for no reason

I mean stopping is scary, it's more deadly than heroin withdrawal

Wtf does that mean

More info. Her lifestyle, job, past history, etc would be a good start. Spill it OP. Why is she an alchy?
might be able to help...

Only chronic alcoholics with extremely unhealthy lifestyles and diet get DTs. It's rather rare.

Didn't have a problem until we had kids. She started drinking after our second was born. Always had really low self esteem. Used to be fat but had surgery and lost a ton of weight

Is she hot?

You sound like one dense motherfucker

Does she work a stressful job?
Has she expressed any depressing thoughts on her overall life?

She doesn't work. She doesn't do shit. Nothing major has happened to her in her life to explain this.

Isn't that her problem, having accomplished nothing in life?
Although I'm with you, sounds like she's a deadbeat with a longing for importance that she isn't willing/able to fulfill.

You answered your own question. She is BORED.
A lot of alcoholics start drinking casually. Then it creeps up on them. And then takes over them.

Get her sober. Taper her off, take a plunge and start drinking with her and limit her slowly. Start her later and later in the day. Meanwhile get her enthused to do things, anything, preferably a part time job or something. Just get her to be OUTSIDE the house.

Problem drinking is a symptom of deeper issues. Doesn't have to be a major life altering traumatic event that but can be a combination of fear, anxiety, low self-esteem, regret, inability to adapt to changes... the list goes on.

Can only speak for myself but lots of things all add up and over time and eventually there's a laundry list of emotions and thoughts that get buried and remain unresolved by continued drinking.

Op's wife became an alcohic when she discovered he is a fag

It's a mental/emotional issue. So yeah, for them is hard.

It feels like life is pointless if you stop

Maybe she is not bored, and she's depressed.
Visiting a psychiatrist would be a good idea.

get put on the drug roamed
Topamax. You'll never drink again.

Named, not roamed

probably drinks wine coolers and daiquiris like a puss

Alcoholic here.

Just now I sold my ps3 for $50 to pay back a person whose wine I drunk out of the fridge.

I drank it while drunk to begin with and wanting more hooch. I'm not okay.

Yeah I beleave it is that hard to quit and you should also factor is does she even want to, I guy I knew though my dad drank him self to death his liver and kidney failed it got to the point that every time he drank he would piss blood & still didn't want to cut down on or stop drinking, shameless waste of life but that's what he wanted so I won't speak I'll of the dead

The real question is are there any addicts here.

As an addict I can tell you that your brain can know how bad your addictions are for you, yet it lets you continue to abuse yourself. I have a wife and kid, and held off my addictions for a while for them, but it always has a way to convince me that my abstinence means that if I do it, it'll feel like the first time! It never does.

If you love your wife you'll probably find yourself feeling like you're waging a battle against her addiction as much as she is. If you do it right, she will thank you when she realizes that little by little, she can stop.

"Let's get something for the withdrawal, and power through stopping for 1 month and see what happens. Are you going to fuck up and drink? Of course. But don't shame yourself. Realize that you are human and move on.".

My wife did that for me and it saved my life. Before, I felt like my life had no value. Now, it does, and it's a currency I have no idea how to use other than to try to bring value to others' lives.

Addiction will always there in her mind. Help her treat it and fight the battle, or divorce her and move on. Only one of those paths will make you happy.

Not true I'm on topamax for my epilepsy and I still drink

Yea. not that easy.

As an alcoholic myself I can tell you it's not depression that drove me to drinking. It's something else, and sometimes it does feel like boredom.

Not everything now days is a 'mental illness' that's an easy answer to an extremely complex situation or question.

Tremens are the worst...

try doing acid with her
LSD can be used to treat alcoholism, although I guess one would want to change themselves to begin with

>Never had a problem with alcohol or any other substance. I didn't like feeling messed up.
>Get married. Ok, just a little buzz now and then.
>Have kids. They themselves aren't all bad but a little shitty sometimes. Ok, let me just have a beverage and retreat.
>Entitled wife enters 3/4 till I give away half of everything and divorce her mode.
>wife + kids -> for the first time in my life I feel the absolute need to drink.
>Drink in the morning, drink in the afternoon, drink in the night. Don't care about feeling fucked up anymore. Barely care about anything but my kids.
>Find myself thinking about drinking anytime I'm around my wife and whatever stupid shit she's on about.
>Gain 15 pounds from drinking.
>Browse Sup Forums with the rest of the Friday night social tards.
>Thinking about fixing myself another 32 oz rum and coke.

If you want to stop, you'll stop.

These addicts don't really want to stop.
Sure, they say they want to. They feel really crappy about the habit often.

But at some point, while sober and functioning, they go out and buy the beer/smack/meth anyway, don't they?

I rarely drink. Last drink was two beers on Super Bowl Sunday.
My father however, was very fond of the drink. He died from his alcoholism. Had his big toe amputated on his left foot due to gout via overindulgence. The coroners official COD was internal hemorrhage via severe stomach ulcer. The man just could not stop drinking. He let it destroy his family, 14 year military career, and his life. This is why I don't drink often. If you've ever seen Leaving Las Vegas, that is what it was like for him.
Bottom line is she needs professional help. A very strong support group and no more hanging out with friends, family, co-workers that drink often.

Thou whilst thy will be done.

>trying
>8 years
>hasn't been able

Grow up

It's very, very hard. Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm very young (19), but I've been drinking heavily since I was even younger (about when I was 10), and it is very hard to stop. It's not about willpower. I have enough of that to hold onto a 4.0 GPA. Instead, it feels like a need. Like hunger or thirst, it's something you feel like you can't live without. That first drink of the day is like taking a breath after having your head held under water. It's very, very hard to quit because without alcohol your life just seems so dull and meaningless. It just feels like it's not worth living.

Good film Nicolas Cage was awesome in that movie

Shit, I grew up with an alcoholic father who was abusive and I was dead set against drinking from seeing how it affected him. Eventually I would stay out all night over friends houses and would not come home for days. When I turned 15 I was at one of my friends houses and their parents were gone lots of other kids my age there who were all drinking and I followed suit did it for the next 2 years until one night I drank half a gallon of vodka and wound up in the hospital. Cont?

AA is the only but only if she is ready

She's done it. Didn't work

Alcoholic here. Get her to quit ASAP. Booze wreaks havoc on the body and mind. I'm drunk now, but tomorrow I'm gonna regret everything I did and physically feel like shit and depressed. It ain't worth it in the long run. Can get to the point where you have seizures. blackouts, and alcohol poisoning, and that ain't pretty.

Abstainance is the way to go. Talking about stuff helps, usually with people who've gone through similar struggles. Kind of embarrassing to do that really, maybe try and keep it confidential. If only there was a place where nameless problem drinkers go where they can get help...

Turned yellow. Only 31 at time it happened. Pussy ass liver. Anywho...medical grade marijuana and Sleepy Time Camomile tea set me straight. Absolutely no desire to drink and haven't done so years.

If she's a legitimate addict then yes it can be that hard. Your brain is wired to give you a dopamine rush every time you do something that helps keep you alive and safe. The more important the action is to your survival the larger the rush. It helps to reinforce those behaviors.

With addiction the brain mistakenly has a much larger dopamine rush than it should- such a large one that the brain places it on the same level as eating when you're starving, or getting a breath of air as you're drowning. Trying to tell them not to drink or take their DOC is like asking a person to stop breathing. The brain freaks out at the thought of not getting any more and would do just about a thing to keep getting the dopamine rush.