Any Marinefags here?

Any Marinefags here?

Thinking about joining and just want to talk about it and shit.

>666

well fuck.

With those digits

Fuck the marines, really. You get fucked for no reason other than hype created by our media and vidya games.

They're the branch that's still the military if you get what I mean.

right here

idk, maybe I'm just being a bitch about it.

tl;dr I'm 22 and feel I'll be behind in terms of a career when I get out. There any truth to that?

If I was 18 or 20 I wouldn't think twice about it

My brother is a marine. Everything it says about it sounds awful tbh. You should only join if you're really patriot and willing to dedicate your entire life to serving your country, truthfully. As far as basic goes, he went in a skinny fuck with almost no muscles. Never worked out a day in his life. Trained a few months prior and survived fine. Shouldn't be too difficult, but get ready to be bossed around 24/7, yelled at for just about everything, and say "yes sir" a thousand times a day.

he says*

I tried to enlist in the marines 3 separate times. I learned that I am not allowed to enlist in any armed forces because I get chronic migraines and was on medication for seizures. Now I drink and watch war related threads.

only planning on doing 4 years? then yeah you may feel behind. good way to pay for college if you are planning on it though. after 4 years you dont need to worry about paying off loans.
-also government jobs are more likely to hire you after military service.
But why the marines? I loved the corps, but what made you say marines over another branch?

Honestly, my concerned aren't even the service it's life after. see Also, entire life? That's not how that works. And your brother just chose the wrong MOS

I did 3 years in the Army when the economy was shitty and it was hard to find a job. It was an excellent decision. I got out, went to school, graduated when the market was better.

The brotherhood aspect and the fact that they're a bit more "intense" I guess you could say.

I have history with the Army. My grandfather and aunt were both Paratroopers and my aunt's husband is actually a Colonel in service now, but the Marines just seem more "me" I guess.

There is brotherhood in every service, it's the nature of putting people in harm's way who need to rely on each other. I made some of my best friends in the Army.

Marines are rode around and your life is generally made as awful as possible, but Marines want it that way. They love telling people about how shitty the Marine Corps is because it makes them seem like badasses. If you want to be a Marine, do it, but you've got to be the type who wants it that way.

I'd say if you are going Infantry then yeah Marines. Its tougher, but they really are better.
But Army Rangers hold up to them and get better schools available (Jump, dive, ect)
Any other MOS and you may want to consider another branch. They get more funding, better equipment, higher quality of life and although the pay is close the Marine Corps requires you to pay for more of your own shit.
The Marines are awesome. More intense hard-charging and fucked up. But you WILL hate life at times. I was infantry and very proud and happy i did it. i'd do it all again. but it WILL be different than you expect. my brother was a marine infantryman 2 yrs before i was and nothing he said could have prepared me for the reality of it

Honestly, my problem isn't anything with the service, it's about after. See

this is true. they wind us up so fucking tight nd then set you loose. but thats why life in the Marines sucks more buy is also way more intense and crazy. you'll have some fucked up stories man

if you're all about dick measuring, Marines are the way to go.
however...
shit quality of life
peacetime so blue falcons and fuckfuck games galore
also hard to move up in rank during peacetime

>More intense hard-charging and fucked up

Yeah that's sounds about right for me kek

You'll be a little older than most recruits but it's not a big deal. In a few years you'll be too old, so make sure you live without regrets either way.

>without regrets

Fair point, good sir. May have just made my decision for me there.

if you are worried about after dont go infantry.
very few jobs in the civilian world want to see that on your resume. the worry if you have PTSD. and the skills in infantry dont carry over to any civilian job. maybe law wnforcement. you are better off going another MOS related to what you want to do after. You get professionally trained for free in the military

Can I go infantry in the beginning and then change MOS when my contract is up?

trust me i'm going through it right now. trying to write a resume and i have no skills that transfer to civilian status. leadership and duch, but no practical skill
its difficult to change mid-contract. after when you re-enlist? sure. but i would sugget staying in the same field. you'll be promoted faster

No, you'll go to SOI and then be pretty specialized by that point.

I was a tanker in the Army and got out and went to school for engineering.

Did you go to school yet, Marine? Make sure you take advantage of it right now

hes saying fter his 1st 4 years. when you re-enlist yes you can change MOS but will need to go through whatever school that MOS requires

Don't do it brother. Seriously.
I'm a commissioned officer in the Navy and I would strongly urge you to go Navy or Air Force.
I have many Marine friends, both enlisted and officers, and a brother who was an enlisted Marine. They are all very critical of the corp as an institution. My Marine brother left the corp only to commission into the Navy a few years later.

That said, fuck it. If you're a badass who wants to serve alongside other badasses and do badass shit - join the fucking corp. My brother joined the corp a scrawny fuck and left it weighing 175lbs of pure muscle and is a hard as shit weapons officer on the destroyer he's currently deployed on. The corp needs bad mother fuckers,

wish i could. i have an injury from the corps that doesnt allow me to sit up straight for long periods of time. still recovering. its the reason i am out now

Have you looked into online courses? A lot of colleges offer classes online, especially introductory level classes. See what you can do, I just don't like seeing someone not take that money. Get well soon, man.

thanks. and yeah i looked into it. you get more benefit from the GI bill if you go in person.

Bout to go off to meps for it, wish me luck

Dude our marines are considered special forces by some countries

better. I was regular infantry and trained with special forces from a few foreign military. We were not impressed AT ALL by most of them

Could I join even after attempting suicide after my father committed suicide? He was a vet btw

You sound like you want to go for prestige OP. Then, you worry about the after. I think the air force or navy are better for you: better schools, higher skills, mor specialized jobs, hotter chicks...

This

I'm hoping to go into 323 Recon w/ parachuting next year since I'm a 410. One thing I'm gunning for is to get my HAHO and HALO badge.

Ill take that for 500.

>Dating/marrying a military chick ever

Women join the military for two reasons, Their daddy's always wanted a boy and they want daddy's approval, or because they're after super masculine men and they're going to ride the cock carousel.

This

All the high school dropouts hate on the airforce because they could never cut it. You know most of the idiots in the army couldn't come anywhere close to being a pilot. They aren't going to put multi million dollar aircraft in the hands of some jarhead high school burnout.

Same boat OP. I'm a junior at uni studying comp sci and I'm almost 22. My impression is that many ppl coming out of the marines absolutely have their shit together opposed to the normies. Basically, I think it'd be good for personal growth but still, I'm not sure if that's really true or it's just wishful thinking

>have their shit together
Yeah if you ignore all the PTSD, suicides, and high fatality rate for things like car racing, motorcycle crashes, bar fights etc. because they are adrenaline junkies.

it is what you make of it. i went in a dumb 18 year old. the responsibility placed on you forces you to grow up IF you give a shit. but its true that many jackasses get themselves killed and treat it like a party. waste their years there

>if I ignore all examples that don't agree with my opinion then all examples agree with my opinion

Apparently they don't teach logic in the marines.

Fair point, but dipshits can be found anywhere.
That applies to a lot of life, like in college ppl go in not knowing the fuck they're doing and they pop out with a degree barely knowing their field.
>it is what you make of it
basically sums up my view, and if I do join I will definitely make something of it.
u ok?