‘Ben-Hur’ Remake May Become Summer’s Biggest Box Office Bomb

thewrap.com/ben-hur-biggest-box-office-bomb-summer-paramount-2016/

>Paramount and MGM’s $100 million epic is tracking for a weak $12 million opening

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xhbR8yNyTRU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobody is surprised.

Hopefully this ends the remake meme

Maybe bringing these companies to the brink of bankruptcy will have them get the message to stop forcing social justice into every single movie.

Are people actually surprised? Also Ghostbusters was a big flop.

what were they thinking?

GOOD.

This shouldn't have been made and Morgan looks hilarious in that wig (I can't take him seriously).

lel them dislikes on the trailer

why does morgan make nothing but trash now? when was his last good movie? invictus?

this thing came out already?

why is whoopi goldberg wearing a beard?

never even heard about this until now

WHY did Morgan do this movie? Look how ridiculous he looks... WHY

>current year
>christcuck movie

They saw it coming.

There's a Ben Hur remake out? I have literally not seen a single commercial or ad for it.

I didn't even know it came out.

Hey I have an idea. Let's stop spending hundreds of million dollars on unwanted remakes and make some real movies.

THANKS FOR SPOILING THE MOVIE! Putting Jesus' crucifixion in the trailer...

yup I am pleb who hadn't seen the original nad had no idea what Ben Hur was about.

>Ben Hur Remake fails
>They will still do A Star is Born remake
make it stop

t. Alberto Barbosa

It's not about Jesus, ya dingus

>now
he's literally never cared, and has always been in it for the money

It's the same as Assassin's Creed.

Literally zero advertisement. Strange

last nigga on earth

It can possibly have done worse than the Tarzan remake, Margot Robbie had a shit year.

>not about Jesus
>showing Jesus' crucifixion
yes it is. one of the people helping Ben Hur is Jesus yet I didn't know this yet the trailer spoiled it.

WHYYYY

Will they show Jesus benis? Lewd.

>Ben Hur (1959) runtime: 212 minutes
>Ben Hur (2016) runtime: 123 minutes

no one like nigger freeman anymore

You're getting a he-man movie and you're gonna like it god damn it!

Seriously though these studios couldn't be any better at flushing money down the toilet with this garbage

reminder that scarface is getting a remake too

I am unironically hyped for this.

GO! GO!

?

>75% takes place in modern day
I am actually excited for this

How long until the remake we are all dying for?
Flash Gordon Remake when?

If only it did, user, if only it did

>Ben Hur (1959) runtime: 212 minutes
>Ben Hur (2016) runtime: 123 minutes

Is modern day Hollywood insane?

Why do they think that shorter length movies make the movie better?

Just look at what they did to Suicide Squad...

>Editors were a mistake

I am too but that rap music and that fucking trailer didn't help much

Well the original was a snooze anyway. A remake actually has the potential to be better, but it would probably be an updated remake so every character has smartphones and shit.

Also they should omit THAT line.

But the all female LOTR reboot hasn't come out yet.

And we have the Men in Black/Jump Street reboot in couple years.

Ocean's 11 female reboot.

Jumanji reboot...

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>inb4 it's either a sleeper hit or a cult classic
I can live with that

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD

We decided to retell it

Oh why is it people aren't as interested in listening to the story they already know?

>cult classic
>literally only 100 video game fans know this is going to be released while the entire public has not seen 1 poster or commercial of it
yeah I doubt it will do well at the box office sadly

Because shorter movies = more screenings = more money. But really, for the looks of it no one involved with this movie actually cared enough. The writers, the directors, the actors, the marketing, they just did it for the money, really.

Scarface is a remake.

Reminder that scarface is a remake.

as is ben hur

>Oh why is it people aren't as interested in listening to the story they already know?

>Stuntman performs record setting 125ft Leap of Faith
>Production opted for practical effects over CGI any time possible

Exactly, user. That's what a cult classic is. Literally no one knows about it, but it ends up being good and people watch it thanks to word of mouth. Or it could just be a piece of crap, we will have to wait and see.

>implying anyone still working can do camp like that anymore

Life is too joyless and shrill for a movie that pure

Episode 7

This one had some pretty cool violence in it, so it made it worth it. Plus, Mel Gibson was the director.

>ONLY $30 million Mel needed to make Kino
Really makes you think

And the new Ghostbusters cost $144 million to make. How the hell is that possible?

its a narrative that certain mainstayers of this site perpetuate ceaselessly. their fevered brains are constantly add odds with reality and as such, filter everything they experience through deluded notions that they are constantly being victimized by invisible "sjws" as they call them whom they one sidedly perceive they are at war with and so they must go into every thread and fight the good fight, swatting at invisible elves and there nefarious agendas, wherever they see them, even if they aren't there

and you thought your life was sad

>Sup Forumsedit plebs pretending to care about the old Ben Hur film now just so they can get their meme reddit posting fix

>>They will still do A Star is Born remake
If it's any consolation, this is the 4th time that movie's being remade.

>Flash Gordon remake
Literally the only remake I'd be excited to see

>Exactly, user. That's what a cult classic is. Literally no one knows about it, but it ends up being good and people watch it thanks to word of mouth.
ahh yes I can think of many films that are like this.

Wait.

This is out?

Yay, gynobustas is not the biggest failure this summer!

Hoozah!

>implying

I may only be here to shitpost the thread, but I loved Ben-Hur and won't be seeing this pile of garbage.
I enjoy watching BH then watching Cleopatra because they blend so well together.

>plebs pretending to care about the old Ben Hur film
Did you actually read the thread or are just fishing for (You)s? No one did that

>tfw they even made a music video
youtube.com/watch?v=xhbR8yNyTRU
Would Jesus be proud?

Cult classics are movies or books that have a cult like following. Success or failure has nothing to do with it.

Example, Event Horizon. It flopped but has a cult following.

I'm pretty sure that movie was way more violent than my pastor explained the story to us. It was a good take on the tale.

J U S T

Your pastor also told you it would only be the tip of his finger but that wasn't the tip or his finger user.

Unfortunately we're stuck with them. Hollywood has been pulling this remake scam since the talkie days started. Ben-Hur '59 is a remake, an undeniably bad-ass one, but a remake all the same.

Bradley Cooper's will be the 5th time Hollywood goes to the fucking well with that story.

I prefer this one

freeman : "get me out, pls"

>recut
what did they mean by this? you telling me there was 4 minutes of extra gore?

JACK JUSTON

Who is he supposed to be playing? Because he looks like a standard mixed African-American with a fair amount of European Ancestry. He doesn't look East African. Or West African. Or North African.

I'd like to hope this ends Hollywood remaking fucking everything

Probably won't though

Morgan "don't tell my agent that I am in another religion movie" Freeman

Morgan "why are you filming my scenes last when I wanted to get this over and done with" Freeman

He was never a good actor

>nd the new Ghostbusters cost $144 million to make. How the hell is that possible?

studios got drunk on budget.

>I'd like to hope this ends Hollywood remaking fucking everything

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE

Stop making remakes you filthy Jews.

>Keep making reboots, remakes and sequels
>they are starting to crash

GOOD.

Hollywood needs to understand that there's only a few films that peopel actually want to see remade or sequel'd. Try to figure out if there's any demand first.

>$144 million for CGI Scooby Doo ghosts
hmmm makes you think

>movie is longer than 120 minutes
>ticket is more expensive
wew lad

He's supposed to be an Arab.

WE

Caesar

>Who is he supposed to be playing?
Morgan Freeman

>The theatrical running time for The Return of the King was 201 minutes
>Won almost every award you could think of
>Scored a $1.120 billion at the box office
>Hollywood is afraid of making longer movies now
makes you think

>Nobody is surprised.

This desu senpai.

Although I kinda wanted a return of the sword and sandal genre, it has done nothing but hork up stinkers in the modern era.

Even western is more alive than this.

This is the summer of flops. Not just 1 100 million loser, but a bunch. I've lost count.

2015 had 10 on the list of box office bombs. 2016 is probably going to add about the same too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

Hollywood right now is dying a slow death. Fewer people in general are wanting to go out to the movies. They are going to try everything to get people in the theaters.

They need to adjust their budgets for one. Too many 100-250 million films. More films should be made in the 10-60 million range. Deadpool was the perfect range for most films.

Wait! They did a remake of Ben Hur?

lol

>Post your 2016 films that are going to be remembered as pure classics in 5 years time

This film was way less funny than everyone made it out to be.

>More films should be made in the 10-60 million range
Lol good luck, as long as Disney makes a billion dollars per movie nobody will dare to break the mold.

JEWS BTFO

t-they put 100m into that?
when does wasting human resources become a crime, because I feel like this should be criminal.

To be fair RoTK is a unique case and It's longevity in the last 30 minutes was peoples biggest complaint about the film

Also everyone knows It won all the awards as a celebration of all three LotR films because they deserved recognition but the first two got snubbed so they had to pull triple duty comes RoTK

I legit forgot this movie existed, I thought it was a joke when threads about the trailer were made here earlier in the year

>Hollywood right now is dying a slow death. Fewer people in general are wanting to go out to the movies.
The problem is that cinema isn't how it was 10 years ago.

The reason that the BFG bombed is because kids hardly go to the movies anymore with their parents or grandparents. They are too busy playing on their phones. But back in the year 2000, we didn't have smartphones and going to the cinemas was a more celebrated event.

I only go to the cinemas with one of my friends because we don't have a "big social group" of friends to hang out with so every month or so we just go to the movies to hang out. But as for those who have bigger social lives, going to the movies is less on their minds as it was a decade ago.

Also people are too busy like I said on their smartphones and laptops that if they "really" wanna go see a movie, they will just use their wifi and stream it online.

That's what a girl said to me when I asked her why you don't go. "Oh I am comfortable at home with my wifi so why do I need to leave the house".

THIS is why so much shit is being made nowadays because Hollywood needs money and so they do not care about actual art.

I thought David Ayer's script for Suicide Squad was very artistic with its portrayal of the comic characters but of course WB had to revise it and say "NO this won't sell lots of tickets cos it has women beating in it and it is too long so reshoot it and make Joker nicer to Harley".

The directors and artistic visionaries don't run Hollywood, it's the hungry money execs who do.

Because millennials are adhd-ridden autists who can't pay attention to something for an extended period of time

There is legitimately a lot of money being poured into a way of profiting off short-films in countries like China because they think the problem will only get worse

>fifth element and big trouble in little china are still being remade

thisPlot was weak.