So, I started watching this ironically expecting to see a shitty movie, but ended loving it...

So, I started watching this ironically expecting to see a shitty movie, but ended loving it. Are there more movies about fake worlds where people live, like this one and the matrix?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDAyFsD9wQPqTzccQ6FCFtjOJnNY4nKb2
herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/john-carpenter-they-live-was-about-giving-the-finger-to-reagan/#/0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's not what you're asking for, but try Repo Man

Already did it. The ending is pretty fucked up.

>Implying that world is fake
>Implying you can't just replace aliens with kikes

It's a bit different from what you're asking but I feel like the "paranoia" genre would be something you'll like. With that in mind I'd say you should give Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick) and The Game (Fincher) a shot. They may not be the best choices for this theme of paranoia but they're stellar films around that "everyone is out to get you" theme, so I hope you'll enjoy them.

Oh actually you should check The Truman Show, I forgot about that just now but that movie revolves around a fake world too.

It was actually written as a response to Reaganomics and Reagan-era ideals.

your life

lol who the fuck is reagan i only care about killing the jews man maga 2016 trump yeah!

>lol who the fuck is reagan
kek

>expecting Carpenter to be shit
child you have much to learn

>who the fuck is reagan
>not watching The Sweeney

It's not a strawman if it's an accurate reflection of the 14 year old weebs just getting into politics who make up Trump's online fanbase

John Carpenter is the greatest genre filmmaker ever. Better than Lucas. Better than Spielberg. Better than Cameron. The fact that he wrote all of that classic music on top of his writing/directing duties make it all the more impressive.

Cameron
Carpenter
Cronenberg

the holy trinity

>classic music
EFNY theme immediately comes to mind.

>So, I started watching this ironically

You need some help

the Halloween theme is forever etched into my mind

>Cameron
Yeah... no.

The man has a good hand for cinematography and pacing, but when it comes to plots or their implications he's produced the odd fluke at best. His best movies are not his original material. He doesn't fit that mold.

Basically this. I'm not sure who would replace him in the trinity, or if there's even a third genre filmmaker on the same level as Carpenter and Cronenberg. Ridley Scott, I guess.

Scott got a shitty good/bad ratio.
Darabont maybe ?

Zack Snyder

I suppose it's Kubrick. a space sci-fi, a dystopian sci-fi, a political sci-fi, a horror movie, a thriller, a historical epic, a historical romance, and 2 war movies put him square in the "genre filmmaker" category. Now that I've come to this conclusion, I can't really call Carpenter the greatest of that group anymore.

Scott is brilliant, but he isn't a genre guy. He can do lawyers, soldiers, or astronauts, and they will all have his gravity and impact. But when it comes to taking a genre home, his track record is abysmal. In fact I'd go so far as to say that his best works are the ones that break genre.

I don't know. Kubrik was a scientist. Every tiny corner of the frame has been meticulously researched for years. He experimented with different layers and subtle dissonances. He used genre as a starting point, but he took it so much further!

Romero

Yeah, I thought about that immediately after posting. He uses genre as a construct, but he does his own thing within them, like this poster said about Scott.
There it is. We can all go home. The question has been answered.

Dark city is a good example of this theme if you havent watched it

Welt am Draht
The Thirteenth Floor
Dark City
Inception
Megazone 23
Vanilla Sky

Remake when?

There's no need.

I like how the kiddies for a president meme went from sanders to trump

Why would you want that?

>Megazone 23

mein negro

The anime images with Trump hats do nothing good for his brand.
good taste, mostly

>It is literally JEWS: the movie

For calling out greedy Reagan era kikes and yuppies alike it is literally the greatest B movie ever made

I was expecting to watch a masterpiece and ended up watching a shitty sci fi movie from the 80s

The third act is shit but the sunglasses scenes are great

>make an amazing science fiction movie that is both fun and thought provoking
>smash hit
>the people love it
>the people connect to it
>number 1 at the box office
>pulled after two weeks
I'd stay inside getting high and playing video games, too.

How was this film allowed to get made when the message was obviously very clear?

It actually ran for 4 weekends from November 4th to the 27th, and they dropped it from 1400 theaters down to 1000 in the 3rd week and down to 500 theaters in the 4th week, they didn't want this movie being seen by any one at the time, we all know why too, but just for the simple fact that it was number one means it should have had at least a 2 to 6 month theater stay in 1988.

>mostly
I'm gonna fight you.

VanilSky is overrated

Was he joking?

Gone too soon.

"professional wrestler" is basically a death sentence

life is a death sentence, but being a pro wrestler often means it's an early one, does seem like there's a lot less juiced guys on the roster these days though, but most of them still probably take something in some form or the other.

Fassbinder's World on a Wire. It was a significant influence on both The Matrix and Inception.

I CAME HERE TO DO TWO THINGS...

He released an album of new compositions in 2015

suck dick and eat tic tacs, and it appears i ran out of tic tacs

Jesus, this has to be one of the few big 80s movies they would never remake, there is just too much subtext that hits close to home.

MOMMA DONT LIKE TADDLE TAILS

>I started watching this ironically expecting to see a shitty movie
You dont deserve to watch based carpenter movies OP.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDAyFsD9wQPqTzccQ6FCFtjOJnNY4nKb2

>I started watching this ironically expecting to see a shitty movie

I do not understand why anyone would do this.

>movie is clearly about Critique of ideology with a slight touch of Marxism/Anti-classism
>10 year olds on Sup Forums: ITSMUHJEWS
You guys are fucking retarded: herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/john-carpenter-they-live-was-about-giving-the-finger-to-reagan/#/0

You are fucking talking to trolls.

You better change your mind...or your gonna start eating that trash can

Cronenberg hasn't been on the ball for years now

>implying based Maniac could be wrong

>life is a death sentence

deep

Beat your feet.

Needs Empire of Dust now

Cronenberg is terrible desu. He only made good movies when he didn't have enough money

on list 3 famalam

At first I thought hey, there's some interesting ones on there I haven't seen.

But then I realized the list is completely random and the only unifying factor is that someone may have once ragequit over one of them on Sup Forums.

Well guess what...

>pulled from theaters after 3 weeks despite being #1 at the box office
>implying wasps and jews are mutually exclusive
>implying Carpenter is dumb enough to name the jew in MSM

don't be so stupid next time, ok bud?

I'm surprised anyone still remembers Syriana

The Stepford Wives

Greatest Fight Scene in Cinema History.

I love that movie
You might want to see the movie
HELL COMES TO FROG TOWN
Its basically the prototype film for madmax fury road

The Conversation too.

fuckin bizarro movie

tone of a kid's movie but centered around repopulating the planet in a weird wasteland with frog people

Has anyone seen this kovie is it anygood for a b movie?

I like this movie the actress in it has great tits