Do you think the LeWrongGeneration crowd have valid reasons to believe that music these days are of a lower caliber...

Do you think the LeWrongGeneration crowd have valid reasons to believe that music these days are of a lower caliber than music made in the 60/70s/80s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs
youtube.com/watch?v=FXk2zvL6v8M
youtube.com/watch?v=MOm17yw__6U
youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ZezRMc5Kg5o
youtube.com/watch?v=GnFUMgBbnkM
youtube.com/watch?v=EcGFm2Bf20c
youtube.com/watch?v=UjYI_SOzNmE
youtube.com/watch?v=UBS6MM05KdY
youtube.com/watch?v=bjqeNoi6EmM
youtube.com/watch?v=9nzRTZvR3M4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think they just aren't looking hard enough.

Lemonade > any Queen album

the only reason i can sort of bare that answer is because in the 60s 70s and 80s they either, didn't have midi instrument or music wasn't completely made with computers. you had to hire studio musicians back then, now you have so much fake shit electronic shit on all the pop music

In general, this is truth. There are exceptions tho

Acts like the Beatles and Jefferson Airplane are certainly a lot better than most of what's going on now. Any idiot can point to good artists that are alive but are they really as good as someone like Bob Dylan?
>inb4 muh Grimes muh Kendrick

anything else > lemonade >queen

>so much fake shit electronic shit on all the pop music
but why is electronic instrumentation fake or lesser?

In terms of pop music, yes.
Pop was a lot more inventive, and texturally and harmonically rich, made with people that had actual skill in the past.

Electronic music isn't real music?

while top 40 is obviously worse, i believe popular musical in general has been on a decline since the late 60s/early 70s, with peaks and valleys. however, i still listen to music released now and enjoy a lot of it.

Pop music from back in the day sucked too. There's a reason none of the "Wrong Generation" people put up lyrics from Beatles-era chart toppers like "Yummy Yummy Yummy" in these memes. I guarantee that in 20 years, people are going to compare Arcade Fire and Modest Mouse lyrics to whatever the current pop music will be, and talk about how music was so real in the 2000's.

You could show em a shitty new wave song and they'll hate it till you tell them the date

never said that

It's music, but it's easier to exploit by those who don't have much musical ability.

Session musicians were often actually very talented musicians who put real effort into what they did, as opposed to whatever label hack with a copy of Ableton does these days.

That's because all the kikes controlling the media, so now we have a lot of niggers ranting about some shit with fake electronic sounds.

Bye.

not him, but when you hire a studio musician, not only do thing bring their virtuosity as a musician with them, but they also bring the knowledge of what makes a good performance. that's why most electronic musicians aren't good at programming drums. also, normally electronic musicians that are good at writing melodies had a lot of experience playing guitar or piano beforehand.

I do like Queen a lot more than I like Beyonce, but I hate the cherry picking that always go into these things.

My Baby Does Me has just as bad lyrics.

I dont hink they think music in general is worse, just pop music. (which you can argue a case for)

No

The popular music form these days is worse than before. Other than that, it's alright.

It's only because these people don't know how to discover music outside of pop culture. There's so much amazing music being created today, you just need to actually look for it, which now is easier than ever with the internet, and sites like rateyourmusic which let you search for extremely specific results.

But is pop music (top 40 pop), becoming worse? I would say yes, it only makes sense that as we collect more data on whats successful and what isn't (so much easier now we have youtube views, spotify, etc), that we can refine the pop formula even further, which takes away any sort of originality or artistic expression. Now more than ever, top 40 music is nothing more than a product being sold to consumers.

I think a retro approach to pop will come back, I think that new Harry Styles album is the first sign of the industry dipping their feet in the water a bit before delivering music of that sort, but I think it will be short lived and just as empty and commercial as pop has ever been and is supposed to be. You have to remember that while people like Queen and David Bowie had large fanbases they were not mainstream in the pop industry sense. They were always at odds with conventions in the industry, and with every innovation the industry eats up the successful outsiders and spits out imitations with musicians that can be seduced easily with contracts and fame. I think the only artists in that unique position to challenge the industry at the moment are in hip hop, simply because it has still retained its edge on society, I think because of its being still rooted deeply in the working class. So people are a bit mislead or dare I say ignorant if they say music was better or worse at any time because those kind of comparisons are worthless; the music reflects the world at that time and it changes form and the industry changes form all the time accordingly. In the early 50s all they had on the radio was brass bands and radio dramas, I'm sure then people wanted to go back to the days of orchestras, maybe some of them were so young they wouldn't have been around when they were big, maybe some of them went and formed a rock and roll group and then went to use classical attitudes in their music, maybe the band was called the Beatles, and maybe one of the members was John Lennon, and did you know John Lennon beat his wife?

the good stuff survives the test of time
no one wants to remember shit songs but the 60's/70's/80's had that too

Can someone please post that Beyonce vs The Smiths one?

The same depth one has to look to find good music in the present day, applied to these time periods le wrong generation idolizes, yields even better music.

(You)

Its true.
Both mainstream and underground music is at its lowest right now (2010 - 2017(
Still some cool guys who make nice music though.

It's not about the music of today though, the problem they have is that they don't know how to look for things outside of the mainstream. That goes for back then as well as today. They're only comparing mainstream acts. I would also argue that the older mainstream acts were better, but not all music.

Am I in the twilight zone where it's still 2011 and people earnestly give a shit about this? This board is like a time capsule.

>judging music by the lyrics
Plebeians, all of you

They have good reason to claim it's wrong for them aesthetically, in many ways it is for me as well. But purely based on shit like quality, no, they don't.

this.

I'd say if you just look at top 40 hits the bar might have been lowered. But seriously, people who can't be assed with looking past the radio for music don't deserve to listen to good music

>implying I posted this seriously

Lyrics are a part of the song. Why NOT judge it by the lyrics as well?

You couldn't apply the "same depth" twenty years ago, let alone in the 70s
youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs
youtube.com/watch?v=FXk2zvL6v8M
youtube.com/watch?v=MOm17yw__6U
youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ZezRMc5Kg5o
youtube.com/watch?v=GnFUMgBbnkM
youtube.com/watch?v=EcGFm2Bf20c
youtube.com/watch?v=UjYI_SOzNmE
youtube.com/watch?v=UBS6MM05KdY
I haven't gotten off my fat ass and I found music from several different countries and decades on a single fucking website.
Finding music has never been easier. The shitheads nostalgic for decades they've never lived in are just lazy. They'd rather listen to whatever their parents gave them, which is fine, but lets not pretend that those decades were filled with their own piles of garbage.
Both of these were major hits.
youtube.com/watch?v=bjqeNoi6EmM
youtube.com/watch?v=9nzRTZvR3M4
I can't be fucked to find more terrible shit but you get the idea.

The problem is, I don't even think the lewronggeneration kids of the future will reference this decade or the last as being the golden age of music, even if they trued to cherry-pick all the best music of this decade. Every year during 60s,70s, and to a certain extent the 80s had yielded a few timeless classics. What does our generation have? Does our generation have a Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Eagles or Led Zeppelin equivalent? Or even Michael Jackson? I think we just have to admit that those decades were kinda special.