I'm going to British university after the summer. What albums do I need to know...

I'm going to British university after the summer. What albums do I need to know? I'm guessing I can't play stuff like soundtracks at pre-drinks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UU1D24Co-9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah because we all know the personal taste in music of the people you are going to meet at university here

why can't you play soundtracks?

Can I take you to a restaurant that has glass tables? We can watch ourselves while we're reaching.

Where are you from?
Also which uni are you going too

2nd year here

Basically everybody listens to either trap/grime or an Oasis/Stone Roses/Arctic Monkeys cocktail

expect to hear a lot of Chance/Kanye/Drake too

If you by any chance meet anyone at all interesting their music taste will be totally unique and they'll be more than happy to introduce you to their taste so just go along with it.

Grime. Just call everyone "cuz", "the mandem" and just spout out "braaap" every now and then whilst pointing gun fingers to the air. You'll fit right in.

Wait until people are drunk and playing fifa before trying to introduce them to anything too out there or they'll freak out and take your aux cord.

this

you learn the hard way

expect some dude to say he's really "into music" and try to play you some garbage like Kasabian

[RHCP intensifies]

typical english """indie""" girl expert here

if you want to get laid then the 1975, catfish and the bottlemen, wolf alice and swim deep are a good place to start with """indie""" girls (trust me, some are really hot)
Also, I'd brush up my knowledge on some britpop bands, like blur and supergrass (you're in luck here since they're actually good).
Also having a knowledge on (actually good) bands like The Smiths, nirvana and artists like Jeff Buckley will impress them, especially since all they'll really know is this charming man and hallelujah from those particular artists
of course, arctic monkeys and the libertines (although to a lesser extent) are absolutely essential (WPSIATWIN in particular)
If that's not enough, heres a list of other bands they like to listen to: peace, the japanese house, viola beach, pegasus bridge (this will especially impress them), nothing but theives, the fratellis, razorlight, rat boy, troye sivan, the kooks and jamie T (I could go on, ask if you need more)

In terms of albums, i'll give of a couple i think are quite important (not all necerasirilly essential, but some will be quite impressive)

>The 1975 (both albums, including their EPs - which are actually good)
>Arctic monkey's debut, fwn and AM
>Catfish and the bottlmen's first album, (their second too but that's not as important)
>wolf alice my love is cool
>the libertines s/t
>swim deep - where the heavens are we
>sundara karma's debut
>peace - in love
>pegasus bridge - while we're young
>keaton henson - dear
obviously there's some more but that should serve as a good starting point

also, a knowledge of hit singles like breakfast at tiffany's, mr brightside, america and hey there delilah are pretty important - I'd definitely learn the lyrics to at least the choruses of these

trust me i know what i'm talking about

Hey Kasabian are pretty revolutionary.

Super cheesy pop music will get you places at uni

>Super cheesy pop music will get you places at un
This

These albums are essential if you want to cater to a universal taste during your time at a university, though this comes with a huge caveat - your taste should not consume who you are or how you act towards others, it is at the end of the day mental wallpaper and even if you wind up listening to Steve Reich every Saturday morning exploration will never hold as much water as your personality. Anyhow, for the essentials (based on relative critical acclaim and popularity, discographies are recommended and give each album numerous listens).;

Hip-hop;
>Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly. (78:51, Hip-hop/ conscious rap/ jazz rap/ experimental hip-hop).
>The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free. (50:42, Alternative hip-hop/ electronica).
>Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). (61:31, Hardcore hip-hop/ East-coast hip-hop).

Pop/ Rock; (Excluding Arctic Monkeys assuming you've listened to all of their material).
>Everything Everything - Get To Heaven (deluxe edition). (67:27, Indie pop/ art pop).
>Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights. (49:02, Post-punk revival/ indie rock).
>The Libertines - Up The Bracket. (36:33, Indie rock/ punk rock/ garage rock revival).
>The Strokes - Is This It. (36:28, Garage rock revival/ indie rock/ post-punk revival). I'd argue this as being overrated though it should be at the top of your list, it essentially laid the foundations for the modern British "indie" scene.
>Tame Impala - Lonerism. (51:53, Psychedelic rock/ psychedelic pop/ neo-psychedelia). Essential to appeal to stoner-types, girls in particular seem to like them, expect them to request Feels Like We Only Go Backwards when high.
>Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend. (34:13, Indie pop/ indie rock/ baroque pop/ worldbeat). You'll certainly recognize A-Punk if you don't already know about them.

Metal; (Only to appeal to the cliques that like them, entirely optional).
>Deafheaven - Subather. (59:58, Blackgaze/ post-metal).

checked

This should help as a reference chart.

The streets
The streets
The streets
The streets

Include:
>Frank Ocean
>Chance the Rapper
>Post Malone
>Slaves
>Editors
>The Smiths
and honestly I've never met anyone at university talk about Interpol, Justice or Burial.

But, in the information provided in this thread
specifically by
you should easily be able to fit in with the crowds who deem themselves "alternative" or "indie" without much thought. I've been to a million so called "hipster" bars in the UK, but only a few people I've met actually do have interesting taste.

Can't believe I forgot the Smiths. And yeah, this doesn't go far into the obscure at all so don't be expecting "patrician taste" or anything stupid like that, have fun and if you enjoy it then keep at it. Should easily appeal to the hipster/ indie scene which I'd assume is pretty big at your uni.

Where are you from?

The amount of times I've had to listen to this shit at uni is insane.

OP-fag here, is it roughly the same if I'm trying to get laid with """"indie"""" boys?

I came here two years ago for uni as well. Worst decision i've made in my life. Disgusting country.

Where were you

Yeah pretty much 2bh

As someone who's lived here my entire life, I agree. Absolutely revolting, vile country.
Where would you recommend me moving to to escape?

I like people like you, most british people I met seemed to be completely oblivious to the fact they're living in a shithole and other countries have it better. Go to western mainland Europe somewhere or Scandinavia. Country doesn't matter, go wherever the culture excites you the most.

Their new album is pure dog shit.

Brit here. I recently went to Sweden, lovely place, so clean, relaxing and just a better society, I would totally move there but they hate the british and fucking brexit.

yes, kasabian from this year is pretty forgettable
but west ryder and velociraptor are good albuns, especially west ryder

Lol depends where it's at.

If it's in a smaller city (Derby, Portsmouth, Lincoln) then they have terrible taste. Either keep it chart house or go with some 00's bland indie rock like the pic you posted.

If it's a decent city (Bristol, Manchester, Leeds) it's either gonna have to be the more accessible side of /bleep/... or mostly grime if they're more basic girls and boys.

Just steal some tunes out of a few Jackmaster mixes and you'll be fine

Brits are hated everywhere. They're stereotyped as nasty and filthy. Just tell them you hate the UK as well and they'll love you.

The bigger cities tend to have a lot more going for them music wise. Sheffield's a good one, they used to have a brilliant alternative night once a month or so at the Union as well as a standard indie/punk night every week, and the Tuesday Club used to have good funk, hiphop and D&B stuff.

Grime, but unfortunately really shitty Grime. You might find someone who knows what they are on about though.
youtube.com/watch?v=UU1D24Co-9o

I love how you talk about british university like you are going to some alien planet. Just listen to whatever and ask what other people listen to. Its a good way to make friends.

also, tell them you listen exlusively to DNA and Whitehouse, I've heard people like those.

Tbf, British uni is absolute shit regardless of what part of the country they are in. But I bet uni in general is shit all over the world.

British universities are mostly shit. We have better universities in the US but it's so expensive.

Honestly, it's time to gas the urbanite. They've ruined this country. I want to go back to a time when everything was countryside and comfy views over the Cotswolds.

British guy here

Your all fags

What are you talking about? 4 of the top 10 best universities in the world are in the U.K.

>I'm going to British university after the summer. What albums do I need to know? I'm guessing I can't play stuff like soundtracks at pre-drinks.
This, but for Chicago please.

Yeah, I'll say again: they are mostly shit. Just because you have a few of the best doesn't mean most of your universities are not shit. Oxbridge, ULondon, and Imperial. Outside of that you have a few good ones like Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, and St Andrews but that's it. UK is jam-packed with shit universities. Also keep in mind your "top" universities are ranked because of research, which only pertains to grad school. That is not a statement on their undergraduate education.

Average Sup Forumscore if you want to meet semi-intellectuals, otherwise just watch Mr. Brightside on youtube and youtube surf for an hour.
Hope you like getting drunk and smoking weed.

Generally we just tie bells to our socks and dance around like fags