How do we take care of these disgusting despicable industry planted shallow indie artists?

How do we take care of these disgusting despicable industry planted shallow indie artists?

Alex G
Mitski
Car Seat Headrest
Frankie Cosmos
Porches
Sunflower Bean
Countless others I can't remember

All deserve to be dragged out to streets and guillotined

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8BAKVbmL8zk
youtu.be/f7yykcoyMcw
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a-machine-successfully-predicted-the-hit-dance-songs-of-2015
wired.com/2011/12/hit-potential-equation/
youtu.be/2vRPmJx8bYs
youtube.com/watch?v=pQAb4pI1NBk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

alex g is cool. rest suck ass

stop talking about them, it's free advertising

this

The indie 3/4th view mouth ajar look.

alex g is solid, and i really like porches. CSH and the rest can toss off though.

its like a conveyor belt of warm shit going into your ears
learn to love it

>not including papa jon misty on this list

a bunch of thos guys were completely diy before getting signed so...

how is csh an industry plan
i mean cmon the fucker used to shill himself

did you just insult my wife

a lot of them are pretty cringy but not exactly plants. alex g and car seat headrest spent a long time shilling themselves and viralling their shit before it gained any traction.

sunflower bean got picked up because julias dad is some music executive and shes conventionally beautiful so it was easy to market. so that ones a plant for sure. same with frankie cosmos shes rich and from a connected family and was easily marketable to tumblr tweens. i assume probably the same for porches although i remember a time he wasnt that popular.

Mitski isn't a plant, she just did a 180 stylistically. She's similar to St. Vincent in that she started out doing Berklee-esque wank before transitioning to pop music.

your wife is a lesbian who will never love you

only good Porches song
youtube.com/watch?v=8BAKVbmL8zk

Alex G is great

Mitski is mediocre

CSH is terrible

Frankie Cosmos is mediocre

idk who the hell Sunflower Bean is

what is not considered an industry plant here
>inbf i'm not a industry plant listen to my terrible tracks in soundcloud/bandcamp

lol i knew Alex G irl when he went to Temple, he definitively isnt the type to self-shill

Please don't put my boy, Alex G next to those talentless hacks

"industry plants" is the "deep state" of Sup Forums

i remember back in like 2011 it seemed like he woudl shill his shit on here

i didnt even know anyone outside of philly, let alone Sup Forums knew he existed in 2011. anyway i havent seen him since 2014 so anythings possible at this point but he was always such a meek dude.

not a big fan of anything after Trick, but Race is still an all time classic imo

>Lol bro why would record labels market their product? Are u some kind of tinfoil hatter???!! Lmao

but i like alex g

You do realise your boy copied Modest Mouse and Built to Spill, right?

i like modest mouse and built to spill. It's called influence. Most artists pull it from somewhere. And alex g doesn't even sound like either of those two bands.

Tru lol

Sunflower Bean is definitely the only full blown plant on that list-but we can definitely talk about how mediocre some of the other bands are :)

not an "argument"

Like Sunflower Bean is hookless and all of the members are NYC natives who went to performing arts high schools- it's cliche to call the people in brooklyn bands trust fund babies but in this case it's true and you can hear it in the complete absence of grit or novelty in what they do. New York indie rock is alive and well but it's definitely a rich kids playground now more than ever-it's a shame how much indie media attention some of these bands get considering the limited charisma they put forth. I wouldn't call it a tragedy but it's kind of sad to think about just how relevant
your parents profession/where you grew up determines your level of relative indie-fame.

im friends with friends of the band and my friend told me julias dad is some high up music industry person

checked

Not surprised in the slightest. I saw them open for DIIV about a year and half ago and they were just ok-the songs didn't really go anywhere and I felt like they definitely had a suspiciously good PR campaign or something that was helping to push them to platforms they wouldn't otherwise reach. I mean good for them for getting to live out their fantasies but there's nothing more out of touch than rich kids making "indie rock."

Okay he sounds a little like them desu, and
he has that wispy Elliot Smith vocal thing down pretty solid as well. Definitely the best songwriter on this list by a mile but I wish he would make albums that were like 10% tighter.

how can any self respecting person listen to alex g and not ask themselves "why aren't i just listening to elliott smith right now?"

Frankie Cosmos is okay but I get sad when I think about how many potential Frankie Cosmos's there are who don't get to pursue a career in twee bullshit b/c they don't have Phoebe Cates and Kevin Kline for parents.

this
my theory is that alex g is only popular b/c he's a "down to earth" guy who makes "chill" lo-fi tunes and all the other dweebs who make similar but even shittier music* can "relate" to him and maybe get semi-popular one day too. zero personality

*they all have pic related as their twitter/soundcloud avatar, for some reason

Alex G is one of the most boring musicians I've heard. He's using the sound of so many great artists before him and turning it into a script.

Easy :) just start with a few Alex G songs and then switch over to either/or when he tries to do that annoying indie rock "jazz lounge" trope. Like on "County", which would be the best song on rocket for me if he had cut the interlude with the stupid walking bass line.

OP, curious what band do you think is under appreciated in indie press circles currently? Also thank you for making this thread I love shitting on these bands.

You guys want an industry plant look no further than Kanye "Buy my shoes!!!" West.

One week before MBDTF got a 10.0, Kanye performed a free concert for memefork.

Read any news article about Kanye or Kendrick and you'll find a hyperlink to a storefront for their shoes.

Memerap fans are the most cucked fans in the world.

I mean yeah duh but this is a thread about shitting on rich kid bandcamp artists now

Alex G is leagues above all of the others.

>Berklee-esque wank
which still makes her the problem

Agreed, any mention of berklee is a red flag for me-nothing wrong with being technical/having some formal training but with the exception of big thief I can't think of any band with a berklee background that don't kind of suck-indie rock done by intensely technical people misses the point, it's supposed to be scrappy and good and well written in spite of itself, not because your parents started you on piano at age 5 and sent you to interlochen as a teenager

Alex G is garbage and a #1 indicator for me to know when someone has shit taste and doesn't listen to a lot of music or just wants to fit in with what's "cool"

She's not even that popular considering her background. Sure, she can probably only pursue music because her parents are rich, but it's not like she's signed to some major label

T H I S

bad post

>what is not considered an industry plant here
Artists who the poster in question personally likes.

>2017
>not being a girl

FUCK Girlpool

diaper baby girl band lol

Mitski is good and CSH was good before selling out.

Porches guy is from my town. Find it funny how he did the whole indie-folk rock thing and then when Cupid Deluxe came out suddenly started pumping out the most lifeless "80s lol" songs.

I mean that song Car is so fucking stupid. The fucking singing is horrendous and the lyrics are even worse.

>OHhhhHhh WAAAA AHH AHH A MAHCHEEEN

your list is only right when you get to Sunflower Bean. Real plants are as follows:
Catfish and the Bottlemen
Rag and Bone man
Alt J
SZA
Girlpool
Jlin
Vagabon
Blood Orange

Yeah but Blood Orange is actually OK.

Cupid Deluxe is great from front to back, and FS is fine.

Can you give examples like a Song Alex G ripped off and then one of G's songs.

I'm not denying you I just see this claim a lot and never seen the proof myself.

What the fuck is an industry plant?

Someone with a fake come up who has has industry backing the entire time

A fake rags from riches story made to make the artists seem deeper.

Ex: Raury

/thread

youtu.be/f7yykcoyMcw
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a-machine-successfully-predicted-the-hit-dance-songs-of-2015
wired.com/2011/12/hit-potential-equation/

no

At least many Berklee graduates are actually competent musicians. You know, Al Di Meola, John Scofield, Joe Zawinul, Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie.
youtu.be/2vRPmJx8bYs
Is this what you'd call a competent guitar player?

I would personally be ashamed of even mentioning Berklee after such a "performance".

>what is not considered an industry plant here
Someone that released albums before they got picked up.

You can tell someone is a plant when they don't even have an album out, maybe even just a single song, or a mixtape, hyped for a whole year, record deal, then "debut."

Bent Knee is a pretty fantastic new band with Berklee beginnings. Honestly one of the freshest sounds I've heard in art rock in forever.

Or they sent demos to label and the label is going to release they're stuff.

Not saying any of these bands did or didnt, but that is totally feasible.

>Or they sent demos to label and the label is going to release they're stuff.
then they're mainstream garbage who should drop the "indie" label.

>Or they sent demos to label and the label is going to release they're stuff.
From a debut? With no buzz surrounding the band, no live shows? Nothing to show for?

That shit doesn't happen anymore.

I like Mitski a lot and Alex G is alright, same with Frankie Cosmos but CSH is the most overrated shit I've heard in awhile.

Please don't say negative things about Alex G please.

have you listened to CSH old stuff? Twin Fantasy is unironically great.

what do you guys think about my wife princess nokia?

youtube.com/watch?v=pQAb4pI1NBk