I've been studying Christianity but I'm having trouble understanding the religion...

I've been studying Christianity but I'm having trouble understanding the religion. Could someone please give me the gist of it?

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=79Lmmy2jfeo&ab_channel=AronRa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's all fake.

Magic man Does magic
Retards of the day think he's not human
Future thousands of year people pay to get told off for being human every sunday

Could I potentially get some answers from members of the Christian faith?

That's kinda funny I guess but I would be neat if I could get a sincere answer as opposed to the mockery.

Well you've come to the wrong place.

I thought that there were a lot of Christians on Sup Forums who could give me a solid grasp of what this religion is about.

Seems like everybody pretty much covered it but yeah. If you want a real headache, read about how much modern evolutionary biologists and acheologists have discovered from transitional species, coral reefs thousands of feet above sea level, the plethora of transitional human skeletons found, and then watch some videos about modern christian apologetics trying to argue all that insurmountable evidence. You'll lost faith in humanity as a species to continue to evolve and become better very quickly.

Christian here. What you wanna know?

Jesus dies

The idea with Christianity is that a man named Jesus died to forgive humanity for the sin (wrongdoing) it had committed. He is one of three entities, those being God (the father), Jesus Christ (the son), and the Holy Spirit. The term "Three in one" is used to describe god because "god" is three beings but one entity. There are more specifics but due to there being many branches (Lutheran, catholic, Methodist, etc.) I don't want to get into the wrong information.

You spoiled the entire book for me.

Thanks for the answer but what I'm shaky on is the matter of Jesus dying in order to forgive humans of their sin. Why exactly did Jesus, who is God, have to be executed by the Romans in order to forgive humans for the things that they had done wrong?

Watch pink Floyd's song called sheep. The animated video does a pretty decent job

Christianity was made to fill a hole in ancient Jewish mysticism. It's common knowledge that the Jewish are awaiting a second coming of god, and a redemption for the Jewish people. Ancient Jewish scholars were constantly scouring their religious texts for hidden clues about the messiah, and they used something called the pesher technique to calculate when this would happen. The birth of Christianity happened at this time, as well as many other supposed messianic figures vying for the support of their fellow Jews. It was a popular thing back then to see a small offshoot of the religion that claimed to have answers and promises. Most of these schisms happened as attempts at changing the strict policies of Torah-observant Judaism. Christianity is no different. The temple tantrum and the narrative of Barabbas show a direct intention to break the Jewish peoples reliance on the temple cult and the Yom Kippur sacrifice. What better way to deal with the sins of the world than replacing goat blood with God blood? This would in turn create a sacrifice that would reverberate down through the ages and allow the diaspora and the poor freedoms to keep the commandments they saw fit, yet ignore those that dealt directly with the bureaucracy that plagued ancient Judea. Religious people have always been a fan of picking and choosing which parts of religion they like and ignoring the rest. Christianity was just another way to have your cake and eat it too. As it grew, those near the top saw the benefits of their positions, and ironically, instilled a similar system of red tape and repression. TL:DR Jews invented Jesus so they could be even cheaper and avoid paying the temple tax.

I think it's the idea of persecution of innocence. I've never believed Jesus to be a real person, instead I've always thought of him as an idea of what a model citizen would look like. That Jesus is an idea of what we should all aspire to be. As for his execution, the same can be said for anyone who tried to bring humanity together through peace, for example Ghandi, JFK, MLK jr, etc etc. Every time someone comes close to toppling the chain of oppression and bringing humanity together they are killed outright and ostracized. It becomes a more complicated matter when you think of it like that

To clarify, I mentioned the story of Barabbos in my earlier post, and this is a story that needs to be understood in order to understand the whole salvation thing. The Jews had an annual celebration whereupon they would take two identical sheep or goats and one would be sacrificed while the other set free. This would take on the yearly sins of the Jewish people, and absolve them for another 365 days. This is where the term scapegoat might come from. The story of Jesus and Barabbos mirrors the Yom Kippur ceremony, as Pilate releases Barabbos and crucifying Jesus, a sacrifice that would ostensibly last forever, rather than the yearly sin-cleansing that required effort and resources. It was Yom Kippur that would absolve all future sins, as well as those in the past. Pretty darn crafty. To understand Christianity, you need to understand Judiasim.

And the reason it was Romans is because they were considered villainous by the Jews at the time the area at the time, and the Jews suffered much oppression at the hands of Romans. it were set today it would probably be Nazis, or zombies, or whatever else is in chic at the time.

I appreciate the detailed replies. I will look into this.

I would really recommend On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier, The incredible shrinking Christ by Robert price and The Jesus puzzle by Earl Doherty. These books will help you understand the political climate at the time, which will speak volumes about why and how these things were done. Richard Carrier in particular is a good orator, and has many talks available on Youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=79Lmmy2jfeo&ab_channel=AronRa

Once upon a time there was a dude called Zoroaster, 1000 years later was rebirthed as Z2 : Jesus.