How did you learn to drive a stick shift...

How did you learn to drive a stick shift? I got where I dont make it stall as much but I went to a parking lt that had a steep hill and everytime id either roll back, stop and roll back or lurch forward and squeal the tires

any advice on getting good at hill starts? also ive just been giving it a little gas then letting off the clutch slowly, is that right?

dude fucking seriously? stop reposting the same shit over and over again, it's fucking pathetic.

Master it on level surfaces before attempting hills. Then get familiar with the hand break.

When first starting to learn its best to give a little gas, keep it steady while releasing the clutch, at the grabbing point (when the car starts to move forward) increase gas proportionately to releasing the clutch. pay attention to how the rpm drops and try to keep it from dropping too low. When starting on a hill it is exactly the same but the rpms will drop faster so you need a little more gas, but don't release the clutch really any quicker than on a flat surface

I learned on a 750hp car. No joke.

Step 1: Learn to get rolling without the use of gas, slowly let out of the clutch. If the engine doesn't make enough power to do that, junk it

Step 2: Find the happy medium between clutch position/speed and throttle. This is where you learn to accelerate smoothly and quickly from a stop. Practice.

Step 3: Find a slope you can practice on- NOT a road. Find some parking lot with a long uphill entrance. Sit halfway up, clutch in, hold the brake. Slowly let out of the clutch until you feel it start to bite, then quickly and smoothly release the brake and apply gas as you continue to let out of the clutch. DO NOT ride the clutch for long like this

It takes practice to develop the muscle memory

This is the first time Ive been online today, just got home from work

Also, you need to make sure both feet are working both pedals linearly. Don't focus on it too much or you will wind up making one motion at a time and that makes for jerky shifts/starts

Since you're new, now's the time to practice good downshifts. Ignore idiots who don't understand how synchros work- try to rev-match gently when you downshift by blipping the throttle slightly before you release the clutch again. This speeds up the engine to match the trans speed for the selected gear, makes clutch engagement smoother and helps reduce synchro wear. Don't be a ricer and redline it- just a little blip is all you need for normal driving

Also, it's good practice to double de-clutch when going from 2 to 1 if you have room/time

sticks are out of style. even long haul trucking has gone automatic. it'll be even more niche than it already is in 50 years

Easy hill start:
>Handbrake on
>Accelerate and let go of clutch untill the back of the car drops a little
>Release handbrake

This is ok for learning but you should REALLY learn how to do it without the handbrake

My mom sent me down a really hilly residential street in her truck and said, "stay at twenty miles per hour." It was like the Hall of the Wooden Men for stick shifts.

I still bought an automatic later, but I remember how to do it.

Stopping on a hill and starting again without the handbrake will ruin your clutch

I learned the concept on a dirt bike. Made it really simple once I started driving. Took my road test in a 5 speed and past on the first try.

Hill starts? Just rev it up to 7k and drop the clutch, works every time.

Passed*

Only if you ride it for too long

>let's all be less mechanically inclined because we're lazy and stupid
This mentality is often adopted by Americans, don't poison the rest of us with that mentality

Let's agree to disagree

Not even fucking with you, i just drove it and a month later i was fine. I learned no one can teach you. They will make it sound more complicated than it really is just to sound skilled

find a big empty parking lot, like a government building on a weekend. I learned at the "Federal Building" pariking lot when I was a kid.

as for taking off on first, the way I was taught:
you have to find a slightly sloped driveway...

you try to get it to go neither backwards nor forward: you need to find that sweet spot where the clutch engages...
so you are on sloped driveway, and you let out clutch, and give slight gas, to where you neither go forward nor backwards, and that allows you to get th "feel" for it..

and if you stall, well you are on sloped driveway, no biggee, just try again.

as for letting out on hill in first, use the "feel" you learned from above practice, while keeping the handbrake on, and as car creeps forward, release brake and drive like a non faggo

Bullshit. I haven't done that shit since i first got the car when a car nerd was giving me "tips"
It's a 91 and I've already put 65k miles on it without issue yet

>so you are on sloped driveway, and you ****N SLIGHTLY **** let out clutch, and give slight gas

nah,
is quite correct.
Scotsfag
manual driver since 1981
taxi driver for 14 years
regularly drive over 200k miles per year.

it all depends on steepness of hill and how quickly you can swap from brake to accelerator pedal.
sitting on a flat surface staionary at traffic lights and resting your foot on the clutch pedal will fry the plates a lot quicker than dodgy hill starts.

Smoothness is the key.