So is this acually good or just a meme?

So is this acually good or just a meme?

none of your fucking business

It was good for teens of it's time but if you're coming up now you probably wont think much of it.

One of those teens.
I hate it.

I liked it

Hey, there's this neat thing that tells you instantly whether or not the show is good or not, without having to rely on other's opinions, which may not match your own.

It's called episode one.

>the first episode of any show is a reliable indicator of the quality of the whole series

It's good, but Angel is better

Ever hear of a thing called a narrative hook? The first episode has one job, and that's giving you a reason to keep watching. Either by having interesting characters or mysteries, or whatever.

If you don't have that, the director is either incompetent, or the show is just bad, so either way there is no point in carrying on.

TLDR: Yes it's a good television show.

It has a specific tone which is somewhat love or hate, but it is definitely worth a shot. Episode 1 is a good place to start but the reast of the season is hit or miss cheesy. Season 2 gets better and I legit think season 3 is one of the best TV seasons ever. The rest of the show is fine.

As someone else pointed out, Angel could be considered better. It heavily features one of the best characters ever (Wesley).

or the show just starts out lousy. Do you think it's really impossible that a show can start out lousy and become great? Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of those shows. I remember there being a big controversy over Bojack Horseman because the first few episodes were crap and it got critically panned while every fan agreed that the first episodes were crap but said it gets much better.

>thinks season one buffy is bad
>thinks season one bojack is bad
>watched them anyway

Boy, was it even possible to fit more retardation in one post?

It has flashes of brilliance, but it's really uneven.

It has it's ups and downs. Some really cringey shit in it, but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen.

Instead of watching Buffy, watch Angel instead. Same universe, some of the same characters, MUCH better show.

Pretty easy Buffy viewing guide:

>Watch S1, only 12 eps - get the lore plus "The Pack" is top tier. It's low-budget, but it does well within that obvious low budget
>Watch S2-S3, where it's outstanding, both as a serial and with multiple excellent stand-alone episodes that still move the plot forward. "I Only Have Eyes for You" is a personal favorite, but there are multiple stand-out episodes
>Stop watching after "The Prom" or:
>Watch four more seasons for occasional bursts of really good TV larded with heaps of shark-jumping crap - S4 has two of the series' best episodes, 5 has 1, 6 has 2 more - 7 was meh.

I hated Angel, but clearly other posters think it's better. After S1-3, I'd say move on to S1 of Dollhouse, but that's probably not wise.

I would agree.

EXCEPT

Some of the best TV shows of all time have TERRIBLE first episodes and even terrible first seasons.

My personal favorite TV show of all time is Star Trek TNG, and that's basically unwatchable until season 3

Yeah, Sword Art Online is my favourite anime.

heh

It's really funny how GOOD I actually find the Buffy pilot on rewatch. My first run I hated it but it actually does a good job of solidifying the premise. The rest of the season is kind of shit though till the finale.

Season 7 was worth it for me. I hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it. And then somehow the finale made me almost emotional enough to cry? It was weird. That final episode hit every right button for me.

back when I was 12 I would watch simpsons and friends, I never watched buffy because it was gay try hard bullshit, the only reason people like it is because the girl is hot

I don't know if Whedon ever credited Wes Craven and NIghtmare on Elm Street - the original one - with the pilot and the first season overall, but its music, tone etc owe a great deal to Craven's work.

I hated the Slayerettes - the first half of the season sort of worked, but it went haywire. I doubt there was anything they could have done to end it properly in my view.

I just started season 3, really am enjoying it so far

Not looking for Spoilers, I just want a simple yes or no;

Do they ever address why the Slayer is a thing at all, when it turns out literally any shmoe with a cross and a stake can kill a Vampire?