What is your prediction for the next big thing for popular music once rap finally mutates itself out of relevance?

What is your prediction for the next big thing for popular music once rap finally mutates itself out of relevance?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hSlb1ezRqfA
youtube.com/watch?v=IAXcT5ZRzq8
youtube.com/watch?v=iOSSAQPt-Ro
youtube.com/watch?v=Ozr4KsZBTvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hvZJI8rerWA
youtube.com/watch?v=x-OzspEcQG8
youtube.com/watch?v=Zgmvg-zzctI
youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bSj83Ayk
youtube.com/watch?v=qXzWlPL_TKw
youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=07Y0cy-nvAg
youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk
youtube.com/watch?v=vJgwn7b5Iug
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

EDM. It's gonna suck.

rockap
its like a cross between rock and rap
screencap this poast

Microtonal Pop

Psychedelic rock/old-school industrial hybrid

I could def see some psych rock esque stuff like Tame Impala, Mac Demarco, Steve Lacy getting big

Vaporwave or something similar

why on earth would these become popular in the mainstream ever

Do you guys think Trump's presidency will cause a post-punk revival scene?

Mac DeMarco

Not Vaporwave, but trap Vaporwave Blank Banshee type stuff but featuring any mainstream rapper. or Taylor Swift or something horrific.

Anything that's popular in Japan right now

I see Gregorian Chant making a come back

I really have a lot to say about this and have a lot of opinions on where music is going. I know none of you want to have a serious discussion with me about this and at best i'll just get called a faggot or some meme replies. I wish I had friends who cared about things.

Black metal, followed shortly by slam.

I was . What do you think it's going to be, if not EDM?

Like what? I was the one who said Microtonal Music and I'm serious about that because just read about it and listen to it.

Fuck it, I have these ideas swimming in my head. I'll just pour them out onto here and see what you random internet people think.

Going off of what OP said, hip hop (and rap particularly) has definitely peaked in terms of creativity and innovation in its current state. It's been entirely diluted from what made it great originally. People mistakenly think it was about money, drugs, and clothes and being a degenerate, but they're missing the point entirely. Hip hop was about overcoming a hostile environment in a system that was intentionally designed to resemble a prison or plantation. Having money meant you overcame that system through your own efforts and force of will in defiance of the authority in power. This is the essence of hip hop.

That message has been completely polluted and in a great ironic twist, hip hop is now entirely controlled and mainstream and has been conglomerated into part of the system of oppression that it had intended to be opposed to. What was once music that was intended to empower the oppressed to defy their disadvantaged situation now promotes self-destruction, killing your fellow man over petty disputes and chasing vapid and empty shit like drugs and clothes. It's completely superficial and is used as a weapon against the peasants to keep them dis empowered.

This leads us to this unique moment in history where extravagant wealth is now seen as trashy. We have a rich billionaire president who is completely incompetent, clearly only sees people and things as valuable to only the extent that they increase his own personal wealth. The effect that has had on me is I now listen to hip hop differently, I associate music with people bragging about vapid shit like chasing money as a weakness of character. I think as a society, at least for a few years or a decade, are going to reject the concept of extravagant wealth and vapid shit that we've been worshiping in pop music for the last decade and a half.

(1/2)

political shit aside, I think people are going to come to value true artistic discipline and depth in the music that they consume, or at least it will be held to higher regard than it is now. Which is my I think music it would be a good time for guitar and analog driven music to start to resurface, but with heavy electronic influence.

Look at shit like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=hSlb1ezRqfA
youtube.com/watch?v=IAXcT5ZRzq8

Any retard with an audience and some money to throw around can make "music", but this is literally everything that is terrible about hip hop and music in general condensed into two music videos. These guys aren't artists, they never spent the long hours and countless nights refining their craft and discipline that molded their souls into machines making noises worth listening to. I think the challenge now is finding out how to integrate the ease of use that we have with making technology and finding a way to make it into something worth listening to. Part of the appeal of seeing music live for me is knowing that the person on the stage spent thousands of hours perfecting their craft and it's not the type of thing that any retard can spit out, which unfortunately is exactly what hip hop is now.

(2/2)

I honestly think poppy math rock could be a smash hit. That or some riff on cloud rap.
Pure EDM is never going to be mainstream. It's going to continue to blend with whatever the biggest genre of the decade is. EDM already has its hands all over pop and hip-hop.
This is a stretch, but it's more accessible than people think.
This is definitely a possibility too IMO. Specifically in the way said.

Furtunes.

>Do you guys think Trump's presidency will cause a post-punk revival scene
i hope to god no more bands become "more political" just because they dont like trump then release a half assed album

Merica's gone to bed m8 wrong crowd

this type of music
youtube.com/watch?v=iOSSAQPt-Ro
youtube.com/watch?v=Ozr4KsZBTvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hvZJI8rerWA
youtube.com/watch?v=x-OzspEcQG8

I'd like guitar music to come back too, but I'd be very surprised if it happens any time soon. The return of rock music to the forefront in the 90s was presaged by a very very vibrant underground 80s rock scene which was bursting at the seams. There's not really anything like that around today, no one's picking up guitars as far as I know, and the ones that are, they're taking up acoustics and don't really want to rock, except to do a piss-take version of Stairway or Smells Like Teen Spirit. The momentum just isn't there.

Besides, those are just your thoughts, your values. The people I know, they're not angry at the system. Actually I don't think they really know what to feel, but there's a lot of sadness. Sadness covered in irony and forced smiles. People listening to vaporwave and novelty rap and cheesy top 40 pop because they don't know what else there is for them. That's what I know, and there needs to be something that resonates with them. And I don't think rock music is lost and sad and confused enough to do it.

This, simply because if you look back in history it's always the fringe subcultures with small fan bases that grow and bubble up to the surface. It's like we're making a stew and everyone's invited.

230am in NJ, im guessing its 11 in cali

Weeknd and Justin Bieber run shit for years then we go back to girl groups for a while

People are afraid and uncertain, and that usually manifests as rage and hate most of the time. It's a very ripe time to be an artist, and a musician especially. It's genuinely exciting to be honest, I really am finally feeling competent in my music making abilities and live in a hotbed for social activism. I'm not political in the slightest, I could give a fuck about a false dichotomy, but what does excite me is the potential to help people understand their emotions through some sexy waveforms. I think the earnestness and grunge, and also the simplicity of the fashion and style in general resonated with people. It's not bombastic and flashy. Rap lyrics are starting to get more emo too. This is literally the only Uzi Vert song I know:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zgmvg-zzctI

but I think the reason it blew up was because it was a different flavor of hip hop, barely reminiscent if it wasn't for the trap beat. Namedropping designer brands and fast cars and various illegal/controlled substance just literally does not do anything for me anymore. I cannot listen to any music with that as a central theme, which eliminates a good 90% of hip hop for me.

you think trap will become punk and grunge influences?

this

Or maybe grunge will influence trap

I've never seen any rapper reference anything rock-related other than Nirvana, and that's only because 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit was huge and 2. Kurt blew his brains out. There's not a lot of indication that there's any connection with the actual sound itself.

It's already happening but this is thrash

youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bSj83Ayk

Kendrick Lamar and many other hip hop artists are extremely disciplined and technically impressive as craftsmen though.

youtube.com/watch?v=qXzWlPL_TKw
youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=07Y0cy-nvAg
youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk
there is also a song where Drake relates himself to Jimi Hendrix

the song black beatles
future hendrix
wearing nirvana shirt is pretty much usually a sign that the person has no idea about rock, fucking beiber wears that shit all the time

Rappers refer to themselves as "rock stars" all the time. They are comparing themselves to people in a different genre entirely.

youtube.com/watch?v=vJgwn7b5Iug

The lyrics for that song:

"I'm a rockstar, drank til I pass out"

Shit, the worst parts of the song are when rap is going on. The only listenable sections are kendrick and the r&b part

and futures album named "Hndrxx" referring to Jimi Hendrix

Kendrick is a rare exception. He approaches rapping as a real discipline, and it's the reason he's in a league of his own and why his lyrics, cadence, and sound are entirely unique to him.

Literally anyone can rap as long as they're not mute. Which means that there's going to be a lot of garbage put out. It's something anyone can do. There's really no incentive to take it seriously like learning a real instrument or taking vocal lessons or learning to operate a DAW.

I think rap will last for another 10-15 years max than some other genre will come and replace it. I don't know what will replace our current music but you don't know it could be a weird genre like Jazz Punk or R&B Bluegrass.

I feel like jazz/classical will sorta come back.
not hardcore to the extent that it was but maybe close.
we've had a very subjective era and it would only
make sense for the new contrarian era to try and be
more neo-neo-classisist. people are gonna be more technical
but with reason not just to look smart. being whorish will
be uncool again and people like kardashians are probably going to
be considered stupid like in 2008 or something.

is emo/scene ever going to be a thing again?

It already is

Scene kids are now evolved into hipsters

They still listen to the same flavors of trash (ADTR, The Story So Far, BMTH) while praising "legacy" acts in the scene such as Panic.

Add that in with some meme rap and pitchfork indie and you have a recipe for fucking disaster.

A lot of ex scene kids I know are into rap such as Bones, SuicideBoys, Ghostemane, and XXXTentacion. Quite a few of the new rappers were formerly in hardcore/emo bands, included but not limited to Ruby of Suicide Boys, Ghostemane, OG Maco, and others I'm forgetting at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised if Peep was in a band at one point. Hardcore kids are into trap now so naturally that shit is gonna be infested with faggot hipster hardcore kids in dad hats.

I hated scene/emo music when I was younger and I still hate it now.

My name is Trunks.
This is going to sound really strange but I'm not
from this time.
I traveled here in a time machine from twenty years in the future.
In three years, on the morning of May 12, at 5:00 AM, a powerful
musician will release a new album. He has dreadful power even by our
standards! Once he releases it, modern music and everything
you know will be changed for good.

For real?

Guys, it's me, I know it. In three years I'm going to finish my masterpiece. I know y'all niggas are not ready for this shit, you'll never be ready. But it's coming.

Some screencap it

Am I a faggot for listening to Death Gripes?

muh Rid Kock Dred Furst

>5:00 AM
Why would you ever release an album on 5AM and not midnight?
What time zone are you my Z-fighter?

>People mistakenly think it was about money, drugs, and clothes and being a degenerate, but they're missing the point entirely. Hip hop was about overcoming a hostile environment in a system that was intentionally designed to resemble a prison or plantation. Having money meant you overcame that system through your own efforts and force of will in defiance of the authority in power. This is the essence of hip hop.
I think a lot of people making this mistake are the white fans, not the black creators behind this music. "We wuz Kangz"-tier "black philosophy" aside, there's a real awareness about black cultures and black issues which are behind the music. Of course, the average trap producer probably isn't going to care regardless, but it's doubtful if they're the ones carrying the culture forward. And the ones that are in the mainstream do seem to care, or at least be aware. The people in the underground certainly already know and have that. Like, there's that interview where Vince is defending his generation against Pete Rock's skepticism about the validity of the new generation, and it's there, I think. The kids, and the kids who matter, do care. Whether you like it or not, we're in an era where "black liberation" is on the minds of a lot of black people today. And there are people in the culture who respect that.

Also your narrative is based on cherrypicking.

Faggot

Folk Pop.

Perfect Pitch Programming. Everyone listens to the same 12 songs(each a different note) and they last 3 minutes each

I have a feeling some sort of mordernised jazz will become super popular soon. We've seen jazz get more and more relevant in the normie eye with the popularity of La La Land and other shit like that.

music will stop because music won't matter anymore as nothing matters today anymore

The best part of Sup Forums is the internal monologue of people being told what they don't want to hear.

Nothing. We've long since entered the Faustian winter.

Naked City's S/t would be remastered and remixed and would hit no.1 on the billboard rock charts lol

Seriously, I think La La Land may be what's it for the future. In line with what the other guy said about the rich being considered trashy, where classical music is generally associated with rich and uptight people, jazz is the opposite, played in small clubs or by homeless men on the side of the road with saxophones. Jazz, or something related to a point, has all potential to return in a modern form. For me, the success of La La Land just proved this to me.