This shit is not genius. This is from a guy who LITERALLY doesn't know how to read or write music...

This shit is not genius. This is from a guy who LITERALLY doesn't know how to read or write music. Put a bunch of random shot together to be transcripted by his more talented band memebers.
This isn't an already trained musician putting new spins on rock. This is an asshole who abused his far more talented members to play random shit he came up with,

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU
youtube.com/watch?v=DvlnYSvvqpU
youtube.com/watch?v=6tCLPL8otMM
youtube.com/watch?v=4krCIQTr4dc
youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
beefheart.com/definitive-trout-mask-replica-reissue/
youtu.be/VTdTvK_d9lQ
norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Frank Zappa&titel=Bobby Brown&cat=s
swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Frank Zappa&titel=Bobby Brown&cat=s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wtf I hate Captain Beefheart now

Captain Beefheart and Zappa were the Insane Clown Posse of rock music

this but unironically

>he thinks trout mask replica is RANDOM at all
how pleb of you

that's why every song is perfectly diatonic right?

Beefheart drones leave plz.

Found the Death Grips fan.

t. numale

actually numales and homosexuals actively dislike musical dissonance it's a real trend

That's the whole appeal to me, it's something so different and crazy. It's nice to listen to every so often.

I completely agree with this.

Zappa did more parodies of music than actual music. He was more a critic than artist. He was well ahead of his time with the sarcastic shit, but as an actual writer of songs, he was largely forgettable.

When people think of Frank Zappa, they think of his personality. They don't think of his music
(Name one Zappa song that is in the public consciousness).

EEEEEELAAAAAAA GUUUUUURUUUUUUUUUUU

>Name one Zappa song that is in the public consciousness
ironically Peaches en Regalia is probably the closest, probably because it"s not topical

>This is from a guy who LITERALLY doesn't know how to read or write music.
The rest of the magic band does, though.

>When people think of Frank Zappa, they think of his personality. They don't think of his music
Prolly true if you were to ask people that aren't into music that much. Zappa was a great musician and an influence for a lot or artists, but because his music wasn't that accesible for the larger public, it didn't became a comercial succes.
>(Name one Zappa song that is in the public consciousness).
There is none since he had no intention to do that. Also being in the public consciousness is not an indicative of the music quality, meanwhile musicians and critics still namedrop him nowadays.

Yeah. That's why they deserve to be called "geniuses". Unlike Beefheart.

so he made a bunch of random shit sound listenable?
sounds good to me

They wouldn't have made it themselves. They are good players, but the genius is Beef's

>implying untalented/untrained musicians can't make great art
>implying great art can't happen through circumstance

>makes a thread hating on beefheart
>tells people not to talk about beefheart

youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU

Good video.

>this is what beefheart fans consider an intelligent response
lmao
yes he managed not to play notes which are impossible to play on western instruments, good job

not sure if bait

must be embarrassing to the pros that such a fraud put together the best album ever

do you even know what diatonic means

I just like singing along
MYYYYYYYYYYY SMILE IS STUCK

Came here to post this. Anyone who's stupid enough to actually believe Beefheart composed random nonsense should watch this and stand corrected.

youtube.com/watch?v=DvlnYSvvqpU

2deep4u

Comparing these two videos just proves how much of a hack Fantano is

is what we deserve

is what we get

>but as an actual writer of songs, he was largely forgettable.
He has many, many amazing albums. Also one of the greatest guitar players of all time. His music wasn't very accessible therefore not huge in the public eye.

>Name one Zappa song that is in the public consciousness
I'd have to go with Bobby Brown Goes Down, but I'm not too sure. It was the only Zappa song i knew before actively listening to his music

he blinks a lot

Fantano btfo

I mean I agree that the long analysis video is more interesting but it's not like Fantano sets out to try to do anything like Samuel Andreyev does, and if he did his channel would have a fraction of its current popularity.

Different types of reviewing for a different audience.

the guy is an embarrassment, he's dissing the most calculated rock album in history as if he was above it when in fact all his reviews reduce to "i liked it" or "i didn't like it", only mentioning the mixing, the vocals, very superficial stuff

if someone who is INTO MUSIC, can't appreciate TMR and calls it a "shitshow", he just lost all credibility (not that he had it from the beginning, he thinks TPAB is a 10 for fucks sake), he's just a regular ignorant Sup Forumstant that makes videos

>This is from a guy who LITERALLY doesn't know how to read or write music
Yeah, and this was composed by a man ignorant of music theory.
youtube.com/watch?v=6tCLPL8otMM
youtube.com/watch?v=4krCIQTr4dc
Who wouldn't like to compose something like this? Let's also not forget Drumbo who actually notated these monstrosities and taught it to other musicians.

Is that why other clowns like Pierre Boulez, Adrian Belew, Vinnie Colaiuta, Chad Wackerman worked with him?

>Beefheart drones leave plz.
Spoken like someone who's never taken the time to learn anything about music theory, comnpositinal techniques or the album you're discussing for that matter. Like clockwork. Here's something for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

>what is outsider music

OP LITERALLY doesn't know how to think for themselves

Yeah, like to kill a mockingbird

>Comparing these two videos just proves how much of a hack Fantano is
Exactly. He claimed that the band is almost incapable of keeping time... Not to mention that Samuel Andreyev went to a music conservatory and is a composer himself.

beefheart.com/definitive-trout-mask-replica-reissue/
I wasn't even aware of this remaster. Has anyone listened to it? And is the 2013. remaster the one Drumbo was talking about? Is this the one on which the instrumentation isn't drowned out?

Zappa is a bit of a clown but honestly a great musician

I'd call someone like Axl Rose, Phil Anselmo, Bono and Al Di Meola a clown. Don't forget that he fought against PMRC. I mean, just look at this - literal intellectual rape on live television.
youtu.be/VTdTvK_d9lQ

>When people think of Frank Zappa, they think of his personality. They don't think of his music
Definitely true, which I why I had such low expectations of Hot Rats and also why it blew me away

Holy

Bobby Brown actually became a #1 hit in Norway and Sweden in 1978. It was the song to slow dance to. And it happened because they didn't understand the lyrics.
norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Frank Zappa&titel=Bobby Brown&cat=s
swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Frank Zappa&titel=Bobby Brown&cat=s

Really ironic, isn't it?

>western instruments can only play 7 notes
I think you're confusing diatonic with chromatic.

And chromatic with something that can't be played on Western Instruments. Seriously, aside from the harmonica, what instruments were used on TMR that can't play all 12 notes of the chromatic scale?

There's freely improvised horn stuff, and the primary composition technique was literally to put random melodies together randomly lol. Also China Pig is completely improvised. Not that any of this makes it a bad album.

Band member Bill Harkleroad has remarked on "how haphazardly the individual parts were done, worked on very surgically, stuck together, and then sculpted afterwards."

I wrote a cited analysis on TMR's merit if anyone wants some light reading on it.

oldnoise.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/captain-beefheart-his-magic-band-trout-mask-replica/

Oh, look!
It's THIS thread again!

This is well-written and I agree with the general sentiment.

fuck off Anthony

Thanks. Fairly proud of it, I think it's one of my better ones.

>first sentence has word "idiosyncratic"

Dropped, I really don't feel like reading some pretentious try hard bullshit.

if this is your reaction to the word "idiosyncratic", i think you have a very limited knowledge of words my friend

you are a fucking retard my friend

If you think idiosyncratic is a commonly used word you're extremely far gone.

You are a fucking loser my friend

I apologize for offending your sensibilities—may I recommend the articles on the Billboard website?

Please rise above your middle school literary level.

idiosyncratic is not idiosyncratic

>"homosexuals actively dislike musical dissonance"
>he doesn't listen to xiu xiu, arca, death grips etc.

Then you're a fucking pretentious retard if you think that. You do realize that people who read that article are laughing at you right?

kys

And yet this album gets more attention than any pussy you could ever hope to get in your miserable existence!

sorry, different user

jesus christ read a fucking book you dolt

tacky or eccentric are better words.

Well, tacky isn't a synonym, and eccentric sometimes lends a slightly negative connotation.

idiosyncratic > eccentric > tacky

they also have different meanings

>rehearsed quirkiness

absolutely disgusting