Gonna rent my first flat in two weeks...

Gonna rent my first flat in two weeks, what are some basic shit you wish you'd have known when you were at this point in your life?

Make sure that you have multiple months rent saved up. Don't blow it partying. A financial cushion at this time in your life will be the difference between constantly moving forward, or having to move back in with your parents

I wish I had known that I should invest in bitcoins soon.

You need more tongs, spatulas & spoons.
When you're down to 3 rolls of tp left, act like you only have half of 1.
Don't get a pet because you're lonely.

Its harder than you know to live on your own. Go the extra distance to take care of little things when you have time, being lazy becomes a luxury so don't let tasks pile up or you'll suffer for it

In a smiliar situation. Was thinking of buying a place in a shittier part of town and getting roommates. Anyone tried that?

If having guests over, even if you're clean, open your windows 90 minutes earlier, if you come home and you can smell something, either do a load of washing or clean the kitchen,

Take the time to use fabric softener

To add to that, keep 2 spare rolls in your room just for you in case of a real emergency

I wish I had known that it was financially foolish to spend money for my own apartment when I could have lived with my parents. I could have invested $2000 per month for several years in stocks or something that would grow in value that I would have today. Instead, it was just consumed and I have nothing to show for it.

Or buying a place would have been a much better choice.

You will always hate housemates after 2-3 months

Ive had over 15 different housemates and i only liked 1 of them in the end. Some where even my close friends at first.

Also don't let bitches come between your friendships. Unless she does anal.

Go visit the place outside of "Visitation" hours. Odds are they deliberately schedule the tours during the quietest hours so the place seems nice and cozy. Hopefully you dont end up with inconsiderate cunts like the neighbors I have.

You sound like a negative person

Don't flat with your friends because your relationship with them will change. You'll find out all their gross habits that you didnt know about and just how jewish the cunts can be

I am.

i don't care about your post, i only wanna know the story behind this awesome picture

That being said, i share a 1 bedroom unit with my best friend, have since august. He has the bedroom, i have the lounge.
We've known eachother for 8 years.

Thanks, these seem great advices so far, keep em coming. Might make a quick list for myself of the best ones.

I can't live with my parents, i was living with grandparents, but they've never been sane, and their dementia is getting worse. As much as i'd like to help them, i have little time/patience after working 2 manual labour jobs and learning software development. They're literall more hateful than Sup Forums ever was.

Take note of any prior damage to the apartment (Take photos or even better video for evidence) and make sure the landlord knows you know what damage was there before so they don't try to pull some shady shit when it is time to move out and try to force you to pay for previous damage.

This, i have 3 months of living expenses and rent saved at all times just in case.

>mfw realized i lost the password to bitcoin wallet worth roughly 20k usd in todays price.

This. So much this. Also date the pictures, Throw in a classic Sup Forums timestamp if you need to, but date the pictures so they cant say it was just taken.

Also read the fine print!!!! if you dont listen to any of this, listen to THIS: Read. The. Fine. Print.

It wasn't until I moved in did I realize that the water in the entire BUILDING was shared - which meant the bitch below me who has the water running all day and takes an hour and a half showers costs me money! Look out for "Gotchas" saying they can fine you for stupid shit, or that your electricity gets a fee for using it during peak hours in addition to what the power company pays, shit like that.

Try to learn who lives above you and below you in the apartment and if they have small kids.
Try to learn how soundproof the rooms are. Not sure how you can test that without renting first though.

Always pay rent. Have it ready as soon as you can. Invest in cutlery and plenty of plates/bowls. Always have milk, tea, coffee and sugar in the flat. Check your landlord is registered with all licenses. Scope out the neighbours for possible complainers. Check for damp every week. Tv license laws are strict as fuck so be wary. Keep your windows clean. Blah blah blah you know the score

Also, start scheduling your wifi connection date as soon as!

>keep your windows clean

HA! I wish. I cant even get the fucks to fix the seals! Mold on them every week.

But i don't drink coffee, should i still buy it just in case?

You shouldn't rent a flat if you don't drink coffee.

Yes. Its for guests.

Yeah dude. If you have anyone over you have choices to offer them. It's things like that that give you little boosts on the independence meter. Just a cheap jar from B&M bargains. Bread, eggs and cheese are also must haves. When I moved out, quite a few years ago now, I wasted a lot of money ordering dominos and stuff. You can get so much fucking food for the price of one take out. Even the price of a kebab could get you enough bread and ham for 10 sandwiches or veg and meat.

I wish I wold have known this when I was your age. If something needs to be fixed like a leak or something, don't try to fix it yourself. Let the property manager know and have them do it or you could be liable for damage. If there is a firel don't try and put it out. If it's a large fire just call 911.

I don't know where you live but here ham is stupidly expensive. Like $3.5 for 3 slices.

If your landlord isn't doing the right thing and fixing the mould and damp problems you can just dob them in to the Environmental Health board. They'll make sure it gets done and your landlord can't do shit to you.

>If there is a firel don't try and put it out.
Really?

In the UK! Spar sell pack of really nice waffer thin ham for £1 which is like $1.40? I get about 3 sandwiches out of it

Be on top of cleaning for goodness sake it catches up. You just bought the place so enjoy it and stay home and don't go out as much. Also always have next months rent set aside just in case you know. Good luck user.

>if there is a fire don't try and put it out

genius

Buy a hammock instead of a bed

op dont trust roommates they will fuck you over each time

Chav who the fuck shops in spar ?

If you can't afford to pay for it by yourself get another job. Roommates will fuck you over majorly, doesn't matter if it's your best friend, a relative, a celebrity, or a stranger. No matter how well you think you know a person roommates are a disaster.

Pfft what are you? Co op? The spar is like 2 minutes from my house and sells all the stuff everywhere else does. I imagine your local spar has bars on the windows? Ram raided by the local AC massive for the cash machine?

Shower pressure, toilette pressure, look for bed bugs, and check the toilet tank for black mold.

The south downs has a distinct lack of local spars but we do have quite a few waitrose

>he doesn't shop at Waitrose

it must be hard living on the dole

Nah he got off the boat last week and the social workers gave him a flat straight away

man. your parents must be a total failure. ordering stuff?? daily ??? what is wrong with you? must be US. there are a lot of this faggots. paying all with creditcard . no matter what the balance says.
? you are the stupidest person here. learn to FIX anything, will help to save costs in the future and train skills. if you only know how to call somebody, your life will be expensive as hell
thats true
thats true. roomates are the worst. strangers are better than friends. the friendship will get damaged after living together, always.

shit everyday in the toilet, that will come. with girls. as nicer the girls are, the more shitty it gets. never share a flat with a girl which is not your gf. NEVER.

Buy the cheapest shittiest toilet roll that exists.
Put it at the bottom of your tp supplies. When your good tp runs out - you'll recognise the shit one and remember to buy new (good) stuff.

Don't get the basic tinfoil or wrapping film- that extra tiny cost is worth not having to unravel the kinks.

Get air freshener, you're gonna fart everywhere now that you've not got company.

Clean up immediately - saves a lot of time.

toilet paper? who needs this? shit in the morning, take a shower thats it. muslim style, best of them.

toilet paper resulting in rest of shit on your ass, in your pants, everywhere.

What are you on about? Parents failures? What the fuck did you read?

Yup. You get used to your own smell, everyone's house has one. It's not gay to have a couple nice candles around too.

Nothing worse than walking into a dudes house and just smelling "them". It might not actually be a gag and puke smell if the person is clean but it definitely isn't pleasant.

Also, invest in a nice mattress and 600 thread count sheets. Good bedding goes miles, and bitches love you for it.

Keep your fucking bedding clean as well.

also, check the wifi of the place (if it has it) and your phone reception in the room.

Meet the landlord before hand too, if he's justa cunt he'll be a cunt, but if he's overly nice he is the kind of person that will stab you in the back when you leave or let everyone get away with too much.

You want someone who is a bit of an asshole but not a full on Cunt.

Make a list of basic household items you never think of but probably need. I moved out when I was 18 and it had not crossed my mind that I need laundry detergent, washing cloths and all that shit I usually ignored when I was at the store

if you're renting a place, you should absolutely not try to fix anything. Having the maintenance team do it costs you nothing, and if you fuck it up you have to pay for it.

If you own your own place, then yes learn to fix shit.

do not buy in a shitty part of town. it will never get better - only worse. how can you think about putting $$$$$$$$ into a shitty house? run far away from that idea.

>rest of shit on your ass

That's why you use the biddet after you clean with toilet paper you lazy fuck.

Yep. Don't try to live on shit food, it will cost you way too much and the ones that are actually cheap (ramen, etc) are fuckinging horrible for you.

Buy good, bulk ingredients and learn how to cook fuckwit. It's not hard at all. I can buy potatoes, ground beef, eggs, flour, sugar, and the rest of the basics and eat for 2-3 weeks on what most people spend on food in 2-3 days and I'm a big dude (6'5, 280 w/ 15-20% body fat)

Also, invest in good spices and flavorings. They're sorta expensive up front but last a long ass time and make homemade food amazing. Bitches love guys that cook too.

I really enjoy baking, I can whip up chocolate chip cookies for literally pennies on the dollar when I want a sweet as compared to buying a dozen for like 50¢ a piece

i would. it's part of being a host. get some ground coffee and a cheap french press.

you are talking about different things. when your water pipe brokes, yeah... call the maintenance service.

when your toilet is blocked, fix it yourself. when your tap leaks, fix it yourself, when your door close not normally, fix it yourself.

when you start learning when you have a own house/flat, than its to late. you have to work all day and have no time for learning.

not OP but a poorfag. What does your monthly shopping list look like and what are you making me for dinner?

Coffee is an international symbol of friendship just like cigarettes. I've never been a big fan of coffee, but it's one of those things that transcends everyone. Basically everyone will have a cuppa and it's a great way to bond. I always keep a French press and good can of coffee around just in case everywhere I live. Also not a horrible idea to keep a pack of decent cigarettes stashed (Marlboro reds or American spirit blues) just in case, giving someone a smoke or two can buy a helluva lot more than the cost of a pack and I don't even smoke.

Also, even if you're not a big drinker keep a nice bottle of whiskey at hand. I reccomend Buffalo Trace Bourbon and learn how to make some basic whiskey cocktails to enjoy. It's part of being a man and again, just like coffee and cigarettes, it's a great way to bond with people.

The soap you put into a dishwasher is different from the soap you use to wash dishes in the sink.

Learn to budget and learn how to cook your own food. The money spent on fast food/bar food can buy you much more food from a grocery store. And in the grocery store, try to stay away from processed foods - microwave dinners, pizzas, etc. You can make it cheaper than you can if you buy it pre-made. Pre-made is faster, like fast food, but you pay for the convenience.

do you have any, even basic, cooking skills? can you fry, hard boil, or scramble an egg? can you heat up a can of soup? Can you fry or grill a hotdog, a burger, or a chicken breast?

if not, you have two weeks to learn some basic skills.

do you know how to wash your clothes in a laundromat washing machine and dry them?

Pretty much essentials. Gotta remember, everything we commonly eat today has its base with poor people and comes from regular old ingredients that everyone had access to.

The amounts depend on my budget and how long I wanna go without shopping, but usually it consists of a large sack of white flour (bulk white flour is cheap as hell), a couple bags of generic white sugar (it will be in heavy paper few pound bags) a large sack of rice, a large sack of dry beans (beans are easy to prepare and lots cheaper this way and are a terrific natural protein), 2 18 jumbo egg cartons, random generic canned goods (olives, etc.), some bakers yeast, cheap hamburger buns, a large brick of cheddar, bulk dry pasta, a couple gallons of milk, and I keep balogny in the fridge as a back up in case I'm left with nothing to make. Then, I get ground beef and steaks from a local butcher (talk to farmers around your area and find a good country butcher, not some hipster that charges out the ass)

With those basic ingredients I can make pretty much anything. Tacos, pizza, stew, chili, burgers, potatos au gratin, etc. if there is any specific recipe I wanna make I just go buy the other extra couple ingredients it needs. Cooking is anything but boring because there is so much you can do with so few ingredients. If you want more greens than that go to farmers markets, espically ones in smaller towns. You can get veggies that are 10x better and usually cheap as all hell. I can give you a couple basic cooking pointers if you want as well.

Suicide is more enjoyable than life. Die before people get too attached to you / need you.

Find a few cheap good recipes, that means at least healthy enough to not be considered shit. buy rice and frozen veggies, those 2 things are super cheap and you can just get a single piece of meat and cook it with either of those 2 things for every meal if you need. but you should have a few good recipes in mind that so you don't get sick of eating the same thing.

Get cleaning supplies, because it gets stressful when your place is dirty. maybe thats different depending on the person, but you probably don't want people over if your place looks like shit.

obviously figure out internet sooner than later.

Get alot of extra boxers and socks because you will get lazy and you can always wear jeans and a hoodie an extra day but you don't want to stink like ballsack.

If you send me your wallet key, I can try to decrypt the passphrase for you.

I forgot to add butter, I go through quite a bit of butter.

Eggs are your secret weapon, even better if you find them from a farmers market (cheap and people will usually beg you to take more) because they are easy to make and add good protein an texture to pretty much anything. Soup too thin? Add an egg. Burger bland? Add an egg. Chili not too soupy? Add an egg. Learn to fry them, scramble them, and hard boil them by googling and watching videos on it. Easy as hell.

The two cooking tips I will give you are both about meat. Learn to cook an awesome burger, and learn to cook an awesome steak.

Get at least one big cast iron pan. It's what you need for both.

To cook the perfect steak, place your cast iron in the oven and heat to 500 degrees. LIGHTLY oil your steak with olive oil and LIGHTLY season with salt and black pepper with just a touch of Worcestershire sauce. Rub it in. Once your oil and pan come up to temp flop the steak on and sear for 30 seconds on each side. Flip to original side, close the oven and let cook for 3 minutes, flip and repeat then remove for a medium rare. 4 minutes each side for medium well. Remove from heat, set on plate and place a thin pat of butter on top and let it stand for 5-7 minutes without touching it. The juices of the steak are distributing through the meat at this time and making the entire thing tender and juicy. Enjoy.

For the best burger simple is the way to go. That's the reason in n out is so popular.

Place cast iron on stove with thin rubbing of butter and place on high heat. Roll ground beef into about 2 inch balls. When the skillet is lightly smoking drop ball into middle of the pan and smush as thin as possible with spatula, then keep an eye on it. Once the burger seems to be firm enough to flip, flip it over and finish cooking on opposite side. You'll get a feel for this one, but once you get it down it comes out as the perfect not overcooked not undercooked burger with a good bite.

If the place makes you get rental insurance don't go to the place they refer you to. Odds are that the complex/owner and the insurance place have a kickback scheme on the side. If you have triple A you can get dirt cheap rental insurance from them. If you don't it's not that expensive any way.
Trust nobody and don't live with your friends.

learn to cook if you don't already

this, or you'll get fat off takeout which costs way more money or starve

I wish I could afford to rent my own flat. I've got to flatshare with 2 other cunts. All I really want is to have my own kitchen