Can you help me with my math homework, fags?

Can you help me with my math homework, fags?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3x_+_1_problem
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>x=x/2
>x=3x+1
Did you mean y?

use randys monotonic divergence thrm

assuming we're only using whole integers, whatever number you start out with will eventually whittle down to 1. The odd number condition merely turns the number even for the even condition to divide the number until it reaches 1.

This is assuming the problem can be reiterated until x = 1. If the problem can only iterate once then obviously no, you won't get 1 unless you start with 2.

and I can't be fucked to find if it works with decimals

Nice try Russia

Don't worry m8, OP said natural numbers.

Yeah but the whole point is to prove it.

Of course this works. This is pretty shit. At least the bodmas ones confuse people.
You don't even have to use 3y+1. Any equation would work as long as you get an even number afterwards. With an even number eventually /2 over and over will reach 1

>assuming we're only using whole integers, whatever number you start out with will eventually whittle down to 1. The odd number condition merely turns the number even for the even condition to divide the number until it reaches 1.
I know you're smart enough to repeat the problem in your own words, but can you prove it?

see

Wow you guys are retards, any civilized society would teach its children how to solve basic problems like this.

Don't be a faggot and ruin it.

we'll use your digits
>69 -> 208
>208 -> 104
>104 -> 52
>52 -> 26
>26 -> 13
>13 -> 40
>40 -> 20
>20 -> 10
>10 -> 5
>5 -> 16
>16 -> 8
>8 -> 4
>4 -> 2
>2 -> 1

D e l e t e t h i s

see

Can you also prove it for all the other natural numbers except 69, please?

nigger I'm not going to spend the rest of my life doing this problem.

Find a number that doesn't work

niggah. "proving" has a special meaning in math. There are axioms which you have to use inorder to prove something. Inserting numbers in a function or describing something in your own words is nothing but guessing even if it seems obvious.

alright then prove it smart guy

>implying you could solve it if you spent the rest of your life on it
Nigger, you ain't going to solve this problem any more than my toaster will. And it tries harder than you.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3x_+_1_problem

Im surprised usually on Sup Forums the problems are trivial but this one I can't actully think of a proof. Just ran some matlab and could not find non-converging numbers either.

Retarded nigger, this is not how math works. A proof is not "Find something that proves me wrong XDDDD", that is at most a conjecture. How the fuck could you be over 15 and not know this?

It says in that article we already tried the first 1000000000000000000000000000 numbers at least.

it's a complex math problem, that has not been solved todate. I'm not eager enough nor will i get enough recognition for it if i solve it. I'd rather waste my time solving p = np .

Surprisingly, he is black. In his mind, white people have to prove why we don't have to pay slavery reparations too.

because my dick doesn't get hard at the sight of maths? I was never particularly good at it, never payed attention either.

clearly dumb nigger bait, the whole proof is like a fucking essay, and the summarised proof is basically that
so just read this shit over if you're actually looking for help
if not then just go and suck a cock you fucking troll baiter

Then why the fuck are you embarrassing yourself here, when you could embarrass yourself somewhere else, like your mother's cunt?

Just because you are to retarded to understand something, it does not mean you can randomly come up with new meanings for stablished concepts in the area, you dumb negroid

Because I like having conversations that I don't know much about. This is how you learn outside of school user

ok

Wrong again, sub-human negroid. You learn outside of your school by reading about the subject, trying to understand it, doing exercises about it and asking other people about some aspect you do not understand of it

so basically school outside of school.

I suppose this is why we're here

In the case of x being even you'll iterate down the multiples of 2 the last nonnegative whole one being 1

any odd number * any odd number will yield an odd number, so 3 * x assuming x is odd give an odd number, if you add 1 to that it will be even and you then return to x/2

I'm not sure how to treat x = x though, I think it's just like that to indicate recursion

In the case of x being odd, should it return to 3x+1 after going through the function once OP?

>In the case of x being odd, should it return to 3x+1 after going through the function once OP?
Yes, it should.

Whoa, don't cut yourself on that edge, user!

So is this a satisfactory (nonrigorous) proof?

no