The dreaming vs hounds of love

why is hounds of love praised so much more than the dreaming, both on Sup Forums and elsewhere? the dreaming is so much more dark, dreamy, and has some spine-chilling moments. hounds of love is like baby's first synthpop record.

who cares, kate bush has never made anything of value

I agree, the dreaming was much more interesting to listen to. Still are both incredible albums, but I think the dreaming has more merit for being so damn creative.

she wrote man with the child in his eyes when she was 14 or something, what the fuck have you done?

That song is about wanting to fuck a baby

well I didn't turn into a whale for starters

you have a vivid imagination

jokes on you i like her for her music

Hounds has grandiosity which I prefer

That's Infant Kiss retard.

>Rolf Harris – Didgeridoo (6)
Truly the patrician choice.

I adore The Dreaming, but saying that it's better than Hounds of Love is one of the most cringy contrarian things you can do.

I can do one better
Red Shoes > Hounds

Now that's bad

Hounds of Love is brilliant and a fantastic album. The Dreaming, however, is my single favorite album ever so I agree. It's just a more interesting album.

They don't have to be put up against each other. Enjoy them both.

uh no lol

uh yea lol

idk i say they're tied.

The dreaming is definitely more sophisticated

>The dreaming is definitely more sophisticated
How?

The Dreaming makes me cringe a bit. She was trying hard to be some amalgam of Genesis, Roxy Music, Sparks, and/or Split Enz. It's still decent, but Hounds of Love is better in almost every way: singing, piano playing, chord progressions (ones that don't rely on fitful diminished/7th turns).

Sure, the Dreaming is less reliant on the Fairlight synthesizer and more into zany sophisti-arrangements. Does that really make it better? I still feel like Hounds of Love is roughly as challenging, just not in the same ways intellectually.

The Dreaming breaks traditional song structure more so than any Kate Bush record.

Theres only like 3 songs on Hounds of Love that come close to the eclectic ideas on the Dreaming.

experimental =! sophisticated

>She was trying hard to be some amalgam of Genesis, Roxy Music, Sparks and/or Split Enz.

??? give me a good reason for that or just shut the fuck up

>hounds of love is like baby's first synthpop record.
have you actually listened to a good bit of synthpop that was playing on the radio in the 1980's? I know Running Up That Hill was a radio hit, but Hounds of Love as a whole is leaps and bounds ahead of most popular synthpop from that time. That claim is just absurd.

I go in phases of preferring one over the other. Kate's more unhinged vocal performance in The Dreaming tends to draw me more to it, though.

Well... I mean, the Genesis/Roxy influence is pretty obvious, and those were bands hitting their stride when she was a teenager. Yeah, just Googled it, and top of her list are Bowie and Roxy (part of a book scan with a long URL, so I won't link but it's easy to search if you think I'm making it up). Sparks were also very popular in England right then, and if memory serves she recorded at the same time/place as Split Enz after they'd left NZ, so none of this is really a stretch.

Not saying she's unoriginal, but her shtick didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

Both are beautiful, grandiose masterpieces. Can't really pick which one I prefer.

The Dreaming is obviously more on the avant side, with some bizarre vocal performances and really diverse instrumentation. Hounds of Love is more conventional but beautifully written and arranged, and The Ninth Wave is incredibly dreamy and dark as well, perhaps even more than The Dreaming as a whole.

I love both albums so much. Kate Bush is great.

GREAT POINT

Both are masterpieces in my opinion. Hounds of love is a bit more poppy (especially on the A Side:).

Not yet. Wait a coupple of decades more.

This is just wrong.

This. Up until a month ago I would have said Hounds of Love but The Dreaming has some really fucking crazy vocals and I've been digging it a lot lately. It's too hard to choose.

>if you put a gun to my head, the dreaming

When someone says "The Dreaming is better than Hounds of Love," I assume they don't get what's going on in The Ninth Wave. I think they're assuming that The Dreaming is a more experimental version of the poppier Hounds of Love--which tells me they haven't spent a lot of time with either album.

Hounds of Love is better because of Side B's mini concept album.

This is a ridiculous opinion, but The Red Shoes is Kate Bush's most ambitious album and is sorely underrated.

>When someone says "The Dreaming is better than Hounds of Love," I assume they don't get what's going on in The Ninth Wave. I think they're assuming that The Dreaming is a more experimental version of the poppier Hounds of Love--which tells me they haven't spent a lot of time with either album.
I've listened to The Dreaming more than any other album and I've listened to Hounds of Love a ton. The Ninth Wave is definitely more ambitious, but it's not as texturally weird as The Dreaming. I love both, but I prefer The Dreaming as an album because it tries a bit of everything and succeeds. I understand preferring Hounds of Love, but it just doesn't tick as many of my boxes.
>The Red Shoes is Kate Bush's most ambitious album and is sorely underrated
I fucking love Kate Bush and I agree that The Red Shoes is underrated-- but her most ambitious album? The fuck? You're going to have to back that one up. In no way is The Red Shoes more ambitious than The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, Aerial, or maybe even The Kick Inside.