What's the deal with Nü metal?

What's the deal with Nü metal?
I became a fan about two years ago when a friend told me about SOAD and I was hooked. I later started listening to slipknot (listening to Devil In I while typing this) Linkin Park, Disturbed, and a few other groups. I also enjoy industrial metal like Rammstein and Godflesh. (And a bit of thrash/metallica) What i'm wondering is why Nü metal in particular has gotten such a bad rep in the listening community. Some consider it too soft/edgy to constitute as metal. What do you think, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6b0ftfKFEJg
youtube.com/watch?v=m9LpMZuBEMk
youtube.com/watch?v=U4GXNzom6ik
youtube.com/watch?v=oFiDcazicdk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I can't speak about Nu metal, but if you like Godflesh you are good in my book. All of those bands kneel down before JKB.

i think it gets a bad rep because it reminds us metalheads of being that cringy preteen with painted nails and kikwear pants

the reason nu metal has that rep is mostly due to limp biscuit (i assume) also go to \mu\

So you started out with a good band, and your taste went steadily downhill. You felt the need to make a thread about this?

It got a bad rap because a few of them tried interjecting rap and a DJ, which was frowned on and seen as a gimmick. That said, there were only a couple of bands that did that. All other metal of that era just got pinned with the nu metal tag because there was no other marketing label at the time.

I hate when system is lumped in with those other bands. Some of them are okay in a pinch but no comparison.

Have I gone back in time 15 years?
Nu metal died around 2003.

This and just this.

Yeah I still pop in my static x cd or play some coal chamber or what the fuck ever but the glorydays were ages ago.

Anyone else excited for a new System album?

Man I bump to Limp Bizkit all the time. They fucking blow and I love them. Saw them in Boston a couple years ago. Killer set. Boiler is my favorite Bizkit song. Who cares what people think of the music you like. fuck em.

Rap/metal crossover didn't work when Anthrax collaborated with NWA, so why would anyone think that people with less talent would be successful?

No. Is that a thing? They have a perfect streak of albums, I really don't want to risk them blowing it.

That was Public Enemy not NWA, and that was a good track. So was Biohazard & Onyxs Slam, Aerosmith & Run DMCs track, Ice Ts Bodycount. Those are all way different than Fred Durst rapping or KoRn doing a little rap jingle at a show.

>Is that a thing?

yes. hopefully its everything i want it to be.

I like power metal. Dragonforce all the way until they got their new singer. If you want a little heavier than slipknot try Mudvayne. Theyre really good imo. Glad to see fellow metal Sup Forumsros \m/

Coming out later this year if im not mistaken

Holy shit did I go back in time to 2001?

Yes

>Mudvayne

Ive only listend to Not Falling because of the movie Ghost Ship. good song.

limp bizkit is still my shit

Mudvayne first three albums were bad ass I stop listening to them after that. Would Damageplan count as nu metal?

White trash shit tier metal. Guarantee you all watch WWE

Shit man, didn't know you were from the future. Did Trump cause WW3 yet?
Also OP, NU died because it attracted a cringy audience being emo teens. That and it honestly gets pretty repetitive.

Wrestling is cool pussy

Used to be a major nu metalhead back in high school, and is now somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine that I still listen to occasionally. It has a certain type of energy that I can't seem to find in other forms of heavy music.

Bands you should check out:
36 Crazyfists
40 Below Summer
Adema
American Head Charge
Deftones (stopped playing nu metal after the second album)
Drowning Pool
Flaw
Ill Nino
Mudvayne
Nonpoint
Papa Roach (first album only)
Saliva
Spineshank
Switched
Taproot

wheres the real heavy metal?

SLAYER!!!
PANTERA
IRON MAIDEN
BLACK SABBATH
ALLEGEAON
METALLICA

It was good up until shit like screamcore and emo got big, aaaand that shit got lumped in with nu metal.

Those edgy faggots ruined it.

>wheres the real heavy metal?

This thread isnt about that you dogshit

>Less talent than Anthrax
I can not, for the life of me, think of a group that fits such a description.

>ALLEGEAON
youtube.com/watch?v=6b0ftfKFEJg

I don't know, but you certainly aren't bringing any to the table.

>No Disturbed.

Thank god you have some sense, all their music is cringey as fuck.

Man you are way fucmjng behind the curve
Don't get me wrong soad is good its just played out and really was the cream of the mostly terrible nu metal crop.
Don't be that guy stuck in nu metal is all I'm saying . its like a worse version of every dickhead from a small town who still thinks tool is the best damn band to ever exist even now in 2017.
I'm not gonna say every trend is good but it certainly helps to not be light years behind the ever evolving landscape of new music.

Rumors and nothing more

>Dragonforce
>Mudvayne

Why would you do this to yourself

They are on tour though, right? A few Europe shows I think.

And because Limp Bizkit and their stunts. Like Woodstock '99

Oi... fag!

>Judas Priest
>Saxon
>MOTORHEAD FFS!

Do you even metal, bro?

There is no such thing as "cool" music anymore. People just listen to whatever they find on Pandora, Spotify, etc., develop idiosyncratic tastes, and continue to pretend to only like metal and rap when in polite company.

They've gone on tour a few times since they broke up. I saw them live in 2015

fuck you nigger

"I started listening to a really good band, then moved on to a pretty good band (listening to their crappy new material that makes them good instead of great now) a totalcringefest, an overrated dumpsterfire, and a few other groups. I also listen to decent if mainstream industrial bands because I don't always hate myself I guess (but then again sometimes i listen to metallica LMFAO seriously). Anyways, why is this universally hated genre so terrible in particular? And how dare I throw all these bands into a blender like they're even remotely comparable or merit mention in a discussion about nu metal??" -- OP basically

also #1 guaranteed PROtip for listening to good metal, and good music in general: carefully write down the names of every band in this thread, keep that list safe, and make sure you never listen to anything that has those names

Right? if you're going to treat yourself to power metal, at least make it good power metal. Something like Rhapsody, OLD Dark Moor, Freedom Call, or Falconer.

Go download some deathcore (winds of plague or white chapel) and be only a decade behind the metal community. Even that's better than thinking nu metal as whole is relevant or hasn't aged poorly.

I remember the first time I heard sonata arctica 12 years ago.

STATIC-X IS THE BEST FUCKING BAND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE AN XTREME POSER 420 666 FTW (FUCK THE WORLD NOT FOR THE WIN)

PRIMO VICTORIA!!!!

lol deathcore bands are making nu metal now. I guess at least everyone can pretend emo never existed.

Painful troll and samefag.

Metalheads are fucking assholes,
no matter what genre you like someone will say it's not real metal.
just like what you like and don't be a dickhead.
Music is subjective so not everyone is gonna like everything.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is a assclown.

What era emo? Like American football mathy emo or shitty mid 2000's scene kid emo ?

This is best Shavo

Dude yes.
I was this dick for so long.
A metal elitist if you will.
Drove me away from metal for a good half decade once I realized how moronic and fucking machismo it is in way.

Are you me?

Nu metal was great. Excellent phrasing and structure, beautiful bridges and choruses. There hadn't been that great of songmanship in "metal" since 80s power ballads. All this other shit you guys listen to is the actual trash. Fucking joke shit flame dragon graphic silk shirt shit. Oh yeah, Cliff Burton was overrated and Dimebag was a fucking hack.

>If you want a little heavier than slipknot try Mudvayne

I just got a static x CD in the mail. Shit is still cash

All trash, just like every other band mentioned itt.

>inb4 HURR u prolly listen 2 rap fagit

Because I dont, i listen to metal.

lol, don't try to break it up. All Emo was disposable trash.

Same. I used to call people posers and hate on emo kids back in the day while having an odd fascination for vikings. In reality, I was just bitter that people with less integrity had better social and sex lives. I mean, pretending to like shitty music and dressing a certain way to get laid, make connections, even land a fun job is something I should have done.

I still find those bands horrible, but I grew up. People can like them if they want. There are people that think what I listen to sounds just as bad. Also, even if they're bad, metalcore is still metal, regardless of how girly the band members look. The 80's had the same shit. It was called glam.

Nothing wrong with it. If you like Disturbed you got an A plus in my book. Stay edgy

yep drove me away too. I was never too much of a elitist but being told my opinions were not valid by some blackmetal edgelords made me not give a fuck anymore.

That's rough considering they came from different influences and got lumped under an androgynous moniker wider than this side of djent but I'm not gonna argue that in a thread about nu metal of all things.

see

But its true though, the bands in this thread are terrible.

Fun fact: Most of the elitists are the overweight death metal guys with cargo shorts. Black metal guys just give fuck you's in silence.

>elitists
Only kids throw around this term. Name-calling is childish.

Are you implying to just let elitists be and not even call elitists elitists?

Sadly I'd have to disagree.
I like some black metal but my gf has been and still is a large favorite of it and as a result she has a slew of band shirts from the genre and I can't tell you how many times some dude has been like 'what's your favorite song from that album?' To her as opposed to if I wear the shirt they'll just assume I actually like it.
Like god dann just be happy some woman actually fucking likes bm

Im implying you should quit acting like a assangered 12 year old name-calling out of severe buttrage because someone doesnt like what you like

I just read this adema article today and this thread pops up,
miscrave.com/articles/adema-review/

they are one in the same just different t-shirts from my experience.

Good, you knew one real heavy metal band. Iron Maiden. Rest of that shit isn't heavy metal

Hahaha i knew someone who loved nu metal and this described him perfectly. Was also straight edge and a loser

All of these good. Could also add havok, megadeth, kreator, exodus, testament, white zombie. Anyone else care for more great bands

>Anyone else care for more great bands
You gonna rattle off more well known bands that everyone has already heard before?

They were definately over rated but still pretty grewt. Just not the best

Ya but glam is also a disgrace

None of those are bad bands.
I think no ones left in the thread honestly.

Think of it this way:
If someone was like--we need an entire genre that sounds like WWE entrance music...

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

Nu-Metal wouldn't exist without Death Metal. The occasional guttural vocals Static-X and Chimaira do, Slipknot's blastbeat in People = Shit, SOAD's tremolo picking in Chop Suey, and the list goes on. So of course the genre will be hated by butthurt Death Metal fans and also Thrash and Black Metal guys by extension. I used to hate Nu-Metal, but that's like sitting around bitching about how bad Kesha and Lady Gaga are. It really is just an extension of pop music. It isn't worth insulting, it's not trying to be "deep and intellectual."

My music tastes went like this:
SOAD, Linkin Park, Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir

But when I found Meshuggah I pretty much stopped listening to other metal bands.

youtube.com/watch?v=m9LpMZuBEMk

youtube.com/watch?v=U4GXNzom6ik

youtube.com/watch?v=oFiDcazicdk

do you shove dildos in your ass polyrhythmically?

I did pretty much the same thing but with The Mars Volta instead of Meshuggah. I jam with Obzen still though.

I only listed metal bands, I also do love The Mars Volta as well. Only their first 3 albums though, and the first one is my favorite. Favorite song:: Eriataka

Lol

You like alt. None of those are metal. Nu metal is the bastard genre of metal and rap. I find it horrific and am glad most of the bands designated nu metal moved away from that style.

Otherwise listen to what you want. Fuck the music gate keepers

Best metal song is metal warriors by manowar.

Wimps and posers, get out! leave the hall!

I miss the good old days...
I'm always on search for some good non-scream (or barely any) good metal.
Hybrid theory FTW !
Nowaday i'm more on BFMV and BVB (Here come the log...)

>it's 2018

>They have a perfect streak of albums
What. Their first two albums were great, third was meh. I bought Hypnotize, listened to it twice and gave it to my dad.