Hey Sup Forums. what are your honest thoughts on this film?

hey Sup Forums. what are your honest thoughts on this film?

I'm not telling you.

I'm sorry user I can't share my opinion

overrated tech demo
not even the best kubrick and
solaris is much better.
/thread

You know what, I've seen Solaris and it didn't have an ending, so fuck you.

this is what shitposters visualize when they type the word "kino" with their chubby fingers
it isnt

BLONDE IMPOSTOR = BENJAMIN NETANYAHU

>solaris is much better.
Solaris is Tark's worst movie and even his best is barely up to the standards of a Kubrickian Kubrick film.

I'm surprised Tarks "me too" moment has been accepted as being good when it lacks any emotion or creativity beyond that of a Star Trek episode. The remake was awful too.

The logical end of cinema tbqh

has one of the greatest openings of all time

just marathoned this. pretty good but i didn't know it was a silent flim.

>his best is barely up to the standards of a Kubrickian Kubrick film
hahaha lmao, confirmed pleb.

A pleb thinks a few camera tricks is all it takes to make a good director. That is why plebs like you think Tark is better than Kubrick. You're wrong.

Anyone who calls this film "overrated" or who uses that term in general is a turbopleb.

its a masterpiece and the best scfi fi film

visually stunning, kinda has an ASMR vibe to it as well, fucking great for it's time. it's pretentious but this is Kubrick we're talking about here. i honestly don't think it's overrated because normies don't know about it.

I don't like this, feels like raping the film.

yea

truly the pinnacle of kino

Objectively, 2001 is the greatest kino ever. One of the very rare kinos where literally EVERY shot, every scene and every choice are coherent and... tight, I don't know the exact word I'm looking for here, but everything sticks together like superglue.

Cried when HAL died.

the words you are looking for are pure kino

It's a good and well-directed scifi film that hipsters think has some super deep meaning when it doesn't

laugh at this guy, everyone laugh at him for not understanding the last ten minutes

boring

2050 is better

>boring
>mfw plebs think they dont out themselves as having zero taste when using this

Very good sans the monoliths and the ending.

Space Kino that all other space kino will be judged by.

Real talk though, the monoliths and the ending are gay bullshit.

formalist garbage

He didn't die, dummy.

How does solaris compare to the book? I haven't seen the movie.

Oh, please elaborate you neet contrarian.

test

It's a legitimate top-5 contender for the title of "greatest film of all time".

It grows on you with each subsequent revisiting in a way matched only by the works of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart.

>bach
Tchaikovsky is the best

>gee, I wonder if music is subjective...

It looks pretty but I'm going to be honest and say I don't really get it.

It seems too open to interpretation which borders on pretentious.

What's your opinion of it's 'sequel', Sup Forums?
I reckon its a great film with some epic scenes, including the intense aerobraking scene.
Somewhat kino, but doesn't live up to its predecessor.

It isn't. Stay pleb, friend

Can someone explain the point of the guy skyping with his daughter? It's characterisation for someone who plays no further part in the film really.

How is that a pleb statement you fucking autist? Only plebs think music is somehow NOT subjective.

Are you like, 14?

Tchaikovsky is too purple for my tastes.

The Teutonic proto-minimalism of Bach and the ripples it sent through Beethoven are where it's at.

>/thread-ing your own post
lurk moar

hey faggot

isn't me its someone else

Tchaikosky btfo all other composers

>too purple
I have no idea what you mean, i cant stand bach

>It seems too open to interpretation which borders on pretentious.

Wew, my fellow Americans lose their tastes a little more year after year.

There is quite literally a meaning...sorry the movie is forcing you to think about a message instead of spoon feeding it down your fucking throat like some ADD aspie who needs his hand held and for the movie to be bright and color coded for convenience

I would say it's a movie that appeals to an audience that expects more from movies than just entertainment.

Solid movie with a solid cast and great set design/effects.

Peter Hyams also did Outland, which is pretty good as well.

Psssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh
Too many shots of "Space is vast"
Super overrated!

I'm guessing that it's there to point out that despite technological advances meant to being us closer together, life in the 20th century would instead likely build on the interpersonal isolation that was already brewing in the Mad Men 60's.

Floyd basically uses a technology that allows him to mimic an in-person conversation in order to skip out on his daughter's birthday because of work obligations.

it just showed technology of the future and communications that will happen

Let's hear it then faggot.

I bet if Kubrick was alive he's probably die again from reading your shitty 3rd grade analysis.

This already sort of happens with the guy getting birthday wishes from his parents later to demonstrate the technology. Just seemed kind of unnecessary and thought I missed something

it showed the earth in the background so it was mostly symbolic

I can taste the fedora in this post, I can literally taste it.

No, you dont get a cheat sheet. Watch the movie again. Think abiut what the characters are constantly talking about...think about Hal.

>third grade analysis
Not an argument, faggot. I love Kubrick films. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but anyone even remotely interested in film ends up studying some level of bis work.

I'm sorry you aren't expecting an intelligent response

Haha I knew you were pretending, enjoy your anonymity.

It's very, VERY slow. Otherwise nice.

If you take out the last 10 minutes, it's a 10/10 scifi film.

hes right he owes you nothing when an analysis would be wasting his time on some faggot who cant use his brain and watch again or look it up if he has nothing to say

I'm literally not pretending. I'm saying there is no fun in people just telling you what a movie means.

What is fucking wrong with you?

last 10 minutes were the best part.

>kubricks editing of Dave and time being a physical dimension
fucking gorgeous

I don't see it as anything past a competent genre flick

KEK

It always amazes me how good it looks for a film made in the late sixties.

the shining gets analyzed more intensely than 2001 and while I agree that the former is much more layered allegorically, the latter has a lot more going on in it than most people are aware of compositionally.

I don't know what it means either. It's nonsensical colours and spinning pretending to be deep.

THIS

The ending is so dense and packed that it seriously could overwhelm someone if they didnt know how to read what was happening

Your English is awful, don't ever respond to me or my posts again.

What was happening?

Best thing that ever happened to him.

i finally can say i saw it whithout passing out

DUDE REBIRTH LMAO

Just because I didnt use any commas? your fault youre retarded familia.

you're right, but that's not even what I'm talking about. I'm talking more about the relationship between HAL and Dave.

2001 is the most straightforward Kubrick movie in terms of metaphor (sperm fertilizes egg to create next evolution in humanity) but then there's HAL who, unlike every other single thing in the film, doesn't really fit into the metaphor. I think it's interesting to analyze.

It isn't nonsensical. People like you are annoying.

Dave can't comprehend what time really IS, it is overwhelming and even sickening...that is why that sequence is so long, it is beyond his understanding. Dave evolves into the space baby...humans evole into these trans dimensional type creatures. Dave is the fucking baby. He travels through time. Monoliths are evolution-enhancing catalysts

There kiddo, now you dont have to think. Hope you are happy that I robbed a rich experience from you

How old were you when you grew out of Kubrick/ Tarantino movies? I was 19.

putting those in the same sentence is the definition of a faggot

I just explained it a little below

This movie has been out for decades, how are you guys still asking these questions?

>2001 +15
>people still don't get the multidimensional room ending

While the two styles arent comparable, Tarantino isnt bad. They just do different things with film

>film
more like a boring slideshow

Kids need to go back to bed

How was Transformers 4, faggot?

Kek

2deep4me

You've literally regurgitated what people have been saying about it for years in a much dumber way.

Lol. Not user but this is the explanation that always comes out.

>It doesn't make sense because that's the point like Solaris.
>You aren't supposed to understand because it is trying to visually recreate something beyond human comprehension

Yeah I get it. I just think it was a bit cringe-worthy because the way it was executed.

>Tarantino movies
Always thought they were try hard psuedo sophisticated trash.

>Kubrick
IDK But 2001 is great.

Yes, this is mainly why I was upset they arent comparable

Its the poor mans Interstellar.

I was just curious about what you personally got out of it.

I hope you're not that "space baby" guy.

Explain then. Please enlighten us.

I like the monkeys and the talking robot, but Star Wars did that better

Im not gonna write a fucking thesis man.

Watch the fucking movie man, you sound like a goddamn tard abiut this. Extremely dismissive

Multidimensional as in it can be whatever you fucking want, it's literally a metaphor about the flick being up to you to interpret.

No, I am? Dave is the space baby...that's official. He evolves.

Dont we all know this by now?

Except Kubrick explained it... There is a meaning. There is always a meaning with how he does film.

Not that user.

this is why its GOAT

In the ending, Dave is basically en-housed by the aliens. He is technically their prisoner. They have designed the room. It has clashing styles Renaissance and modern. Renaissance particularly for Kubrick because it means rebirth.

But the point is, Dave has just traveled multidimensional in the stargate sequence. The aliens know fuck all really about him and humans as theyve designed this creepy ass room. Its fucking creepy. They are so advanced they dont even look to communicate like we dont talk to ant. They only care about evolving him because foremost. They can.

This room is alien not just because they built it. But it alien because time is a physical dimension. Daves not going to have a good time. He sees himself in different parts of the room in different stages of his life and the cuts jump to the perspective he was just looking at. Enforcing that time is a phyical dimension and he isnt experiencing it properly. Yet he ages and dies and is reborn

ok

no

see this

litterally reddit: the film